Author Topic: Wii U Pro Controller Set to Release with Wii U  (Read 12465 times)

Offline the_dan_x

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • Next Door Gamer
Wii U Pro Controller Set to Release with Wii U
« on: June 03, 2012, 06:26:40 PM »

An updated traditional controller is coming to the Wii U. 

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/30402

Nintendo is releasing the Wii U Pro Controller for the Wii U.

The controller is lighter, and intended to be more attractive to gamers seeking a traditional gaming experience. Along with a standard button layout, the controller also offers click-enabled analog sticks.

The wireless controller also appears to contain a mini-USB charge plug. The Wii U will support up to four controllers.

Danny Bivens
Japan Correspondent
Nintendo World Report

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Wii U Pro Controller Set to Release with Wii U
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 06:53:12 PM »
Well, Nintendo did a great job of cloning the Xbox 360 controller, though as I've said before they screwed-up by swapping the right stick & button positions.  At least this new design has the Dpad and buttons at an inward angle compared to the sticks above them, making it less likely that the player will accidentally press them while using the sticks.

If I were to ever get a Wii U, this would be the controller I'd use. But man if they were going to clone the 360 controller, why not just keep the sticks where they were?
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 06:55:30 PM »
Ehh... I hope this isn't Nintendo's answer for multiple GamePad support.

I like the Pro Controller except for the glossy finish. What is Nintendo's obsession with it? I wish all of their controller's had the DSi's matte finish.
Well, Nintendo did a great job of cloning the Xbox 360 controller, though as I've said before they screwed-up by swapping the right stick & button positions.
I prefer the right stick above the face buttons.

Offline JRokujuushi

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 07:09:37 PM »
I figure they're keeping the stick above the buttons to keep it consistent with the Wii U Gamepad's stick placement.

Offline VickiL

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 07:13:36 PM »
I'm a little bummed at the strong implication that I'll have to buy a new Pro controller and not use the Classic Controller Pro I already have, even though it plugs in fine to the Wii mote that is compatible.  I hope I just took it pessimistically and am wrong.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 07:15:59 PM »
Well, Nintendo did a great job of cloning the Xbox 360 controller, though as I've said before they screwed-up by swapping the right stick & button positions.  At least this new design has the Dpad and buttons at an inward angle compared to the sticks above them, making it less likely that the player will accidentally press them while using the sticks.

If I were to ever get a Wii U, this would be the controller I'd use. But man if they were going to clone the 360 controller, why not just keep the sticks where they were?

This is an optional accessory, although if you don't like either this or the tablet controller then you are probably screwed... unless third parties such as Nyko offer something more to your liking, but third party controllers do tend to be less sensitive/accurate so that sucks.

I would guess someone would release an adapter to allow a 360/PS3 controller to work on the Wii U.

http://www.amazon.com/Cross-Battle-adapter-RUMBLE-Xbox-360/dp/B001O89YTU/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1338765254&sr=8-9 <----- something like this which allows a 360 controller to hook up and work on the PS3 for those who hate the PS3 controller. Some third party will probably come up with some solution like that for the Wii U, or maybe the Wii U will have a "homebrew channel" and someone will figure out a way to hack it so a PS360 controller can work without needing any adapter?
is your sanity...

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 07:17:11 PM »
Didn't I say that we would get a controller like this one? This will make playing third party games much better because I am more of a traditionalists and would prefer the uMote to play first party games. I bet this controller will have a gyroscope and motion plus built inside of it.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 07:27:54 PM »
But man if they were going to clone the 360 controller, why not just keep the sticks where they were?
I think you answered your own question.  To close and its Lawsuit time.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline SonofMrPeanut

• (illegitimately)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 07:31:27 PM »
For the sake of compatibility with Wii U games, having this one will be absolutely essential due to the clickable sticks.

BTW, don't bother taking MrMiiverse on Twitter.  I already have.  :cool;

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 07:33:09 PM »
Ah, this looks like a nice little number. I've enjoyed using the Classic Controller Pro, and the Wii U Pro looks like it will continue that line.

I think this controller was designed specifically for the person shooter crowd. Positioning both the sticks in the upper, more natural resting position might have been more comfortable during testing.

Offline TeaHee

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 07:35:09 PM »
I have a sinking feeling that this video and new controller hint at only one WiiU gamepad being usuable at a time.  That could be a deal breaker for many people, me included.

Offline Nemo

• View Profile
    • Game Sprite Archives
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 07:41:55 PM »
Will the Wii U Pro Controller have to plug into a Wii remote or will it have wireless on its own?
-the Game Sprite Archives-
http://www.gsarchives.net

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2012, 07:45:33 PM »
Will the Wii U Pro Controller have to plug into a Wii remote or will it have wireless on its own?
I think it's wireless. It looks like it has a micro-USB slot at the top. I'll see if I can track down a pic.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 07:47:18 PM by Adrock »

Offline MasterE

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2012, 08:12:28 PM »
when i watched the Nintendo direct i just happened to have my black glossy 360 controller(wired) next to me so I thought I would observe some things.

I do like having off set sticks on the 360, but now that I think about it critically my liking for the stick placement has nothing to do with having the sticks apart. It has more to do having the button up and to the right so I can reach them by sliding my thumb into the proper resting position. The upside to having both sticks up is I find that my motor control is actually better with the left stick over the right (though I am right handed). With that in mind I would like booth thumbs to naturally rest on the sticks rather than just one. I just hope switching to buttons/dpad is a very easy transition.

Boring further analysis: When I looked at my hand my thumb it is nearly horizontal and i realized i am almost doing opposite motions with my fingers to get the same manipulation of the sticks (ie. move thumb up for forward on left stick, to go up on right stick i am moving my thumb to the right). It also occurred to me that moving my right thumb left and right to get up and down might be a little more difficult. It then made sense why I would prefer to hit forward and back on the left stick and move left and right on the other stick, in both cases i'm moving my thumbs up and down.

I guess when people gets some hands on with the pro controller on Tuesday the new controller will be put to the test.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2012, 08:18:23 PM »
It would be nice if you can plug a headset into it like you can with the 360 controller.
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2012, 08:21:08 PM »
They're probably going wireless with that too. Good, I say. Take that, my cats. You can't chew through wires if there are none.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2012, 08:24:24 PM »
They're probably going wireless with that too. Good, I say. Take that, my cats. You can't chew through wires if there are none.
All those USB recharging Wires.

Also I'm not super fond of the bottom triggers on the 360 controller (Only recently really put any use into one.) Curse you Nintendo and Abandoning the Wavebird.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 08:27:09 PM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2012, 08:29:52 PM »
Most cords and wires are too thick, but almost all of them have cat bite marks on them. My one cat chewed through a couple phone chargers (my iPhone USB cable still worked for until recently) and the Wii sensor bar wire.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2012, 10:33:07 PM »
So about the charging wires, do they go into the console, or the wall? Would I be able to play the game while it is charging? Also would that apply to the Upad as well?

I know these questions can't truly be answered right now. I'm trying to take fighting game tournies into consideration.

I noticed under the new UXpropad, there are 4 lights indicating player 1-4. Anyone notice anything on the Upad yet?

I think Upad is a good shortening of Wii U Game Pad.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 10:44:20 PM by Caterkiller »
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2012, 10:45:13 PM »
So about the charging wires, do they go into the console, or the wall? Would I be able to play the game while it is charging? Also would that apply to the Upad as well?

I'm trying to take fighting game tournies into consideration.
If its like any other USB device you'll be able to play while charging.  I charge my PS3 using any of my game consoles, PC, wall chargers, etc. and definitely play while there charging.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2012, 10:48:58 PM »

If its like any other USB device you'll be able to play while charging.  I charge my PS3 using any of my game consoles, PC, wall chargers, etc. and definitely play while there charging.

Awesome thanks! That's probably how it will work for Wii U as well. Can you charge multiple controllers at once?

So tell me, are they still wireless while charging? Or do they function as a wired controller? I'm just imagining future Wii U tourny nerds(such as myself) worrying about channels getting crossed when it's a room full of Wii U controllers.

Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2012, 10:59:32 PM »

Awesome thanks! That's probably how it will work for Wii U as well. Can you charge multiple controllers at once?

So tell me, are they still wireless while charging? Or do they function as a wired controller? I'm just imagining future Wii U tourny nerds(such as myself) worrying about channels getting crossed when it's a room full of Wii U controllers.
Yes and no.  On the PS3 Controller if they are plugged into the PS3 they seem to use the wire and get there Bluetooth stuff all settled.  If you plug them into a Computer that is on and then turn them on they'll sometime try to connect to the computer instead.  If you turn them on and then plug them into the computer they just happily keep wirelessly communicating with the PS3.  Same for any of the dumb USB chargers.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2012, 11:00:41 PM »
I think Upad is a good shortening of Wii U Game Pad.
I think GPad is more appropriate because it ain't nothing but a G thang, baby.

I'll see myself out...

Offline Vahne

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2012, 11:15:33 PM »
The more I think about it, the more I think that having both sticks at top would be the most ergonomic set up, especially with the buttons and d-pad at an angle.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2012, 12:17:27 AM »
if you flipped the sticks it would be a gamecube controller with a nicer design and super nintendo buttons
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post