Author Topic: Wii U Available Worldwide by End of 2012  (Read 6039 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Wii U Available Worldwide by End of 2012
« on: April 26, 2012, 09:56:52 PM »

Price details won't be revealed until after E3 2012.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/29984

Wii U will be out worldwide by the end of 2012, according to Nintendo's Satoru Iwata at Nintendo's end-of-the-year investor's meeting.

This is in line with Nintendo's previous comments that Wii U will be out before the end of 2012, which has been known for a while. This does confirm that it will hit every major region (North America, Japan, Europe, Australia) by the end of the year.

Iwata also commented that price details will not announced until after E3 in June. Nintendo will host a press conference showing off Wii U the week following E3.

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
Re: Wii U Available Worldwide by End of 2012
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 10:11:29 PM »
Spaceworld 2012? The Mayans were RIGHT!
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Mataata

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
    • My deviantArt page!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 10:19:22 PM »
Iwata: [Laughs]
I love the Power Glove! It's so bad!

Offline Karmacode

• Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 10:29:44 PM »
I know what I'm getting for Christmas!
3DS: 3866-8385-5554
Gamertag: K4RM4CODE

Offline BlueStorm

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 11:21:34 PM »
I'd gladly pay a premium if they upped the controller touch screen quality and the hardware specs.  I already have a ps3/360.  I need something more powerful.   

Waiting to see what the others offer I guess before committing to a price.

<BR>

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 12:07:25 AM »
I'd gladly pay a premium if they upped the controller touch screen quality and the hardware specs.  I already have a ps3/360.  I need something more powerful.   

Waiting to see what the others offer I guess before committing to a price.

We already know Wii U will be more powerful than both of them, so don't worry.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline house3136

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 02:09:53 AM »
 Does this mean Nintendo won’t be presenting at E3, but are instead hosting their own conference a week later? Or does this mean there will be two conferences and the price will be announced during the second one? I can’t see them giving up all that E3 press coverage; that doesn’t make sense.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 02:38:07 AM »
Nintendo said they will pretty much unveil everything about the Wii U except launch date and price at E3, those will be saved for this special conference.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline house3136

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 02:43:49 AM »
 Yeah, I just read the report, it looks like the second conference is mainly for Japan.

Offline Nintendofanboii

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/xdarkflame64x
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 02:48:45 AM »
Did you know the mayans don't believe in 2012?
Hey Nintendo fans! make sure to check mii out on facebook and youtube for awesome videos, and updates, and rare collections!

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 11:18:03 AM »
Wii U Available Worldwide by End of 2012

Why is this posted as news? We already knew the Wii U is coming out in 2012.
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 11:36:40 AM »
It confirms the release in all regions this year. That fact wasn't really 100% confirmed previously.

If you read the article, it's explained in there, actually.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline fordrob

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 03:00:19 PM »
Dear NWR Staff,

While at E3, please try to refrain from gushing over the Wii U in the presence of Nintendo representatives so as to avoid providing them reason to inflate the MSRP.  Furthermore, strategically dropping comments like "I definitely wouldn't pay more than $199.99" or "Hmmm...I don't know...seems kinda lame..." could also prove helpful in preventing me from being turned into another Ambassador donkey because - let's face it - I'll probably be there day one.

Regards,

Rob
The Dude abides

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 03:03:42 PM »
Dear NWR Staff,

While at E3, please try to refrain from gushing over the Wii U in the presence of Nintendo representatives so as to avoid providing them reason to inflate the MSRP.  Furthermore, strategically dropping comments like "I definitely wouldn't pay more than $199.99" or "Hmmm...I don't know...seems kinda lame..." could also prove helpful in preventing me from being turned into another Ambassador donkey because - let's face it - I'll probably be there day one.

Regards,

Rob

Well, Nintendo has already made it clear the system will be at least $300, and based on what we know I think that is understandable.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 03:10:47 PM »
If the WiiU is $199.99 its either:
A) So stupidly Underpowered that an iPhone has more capability.
B) Nintendo has totally lost touched with Fiscal Reality

$299.99 absolute lowest.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2012, 03:20:37 PM »
Not that surprising, if I remember correctly, Nintendo didn't reveal the price and release date for Wii either at E3, and instead waited a couple of months.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline fordrob

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2012, 05:54:04 PM »
I agree that the $299.99 price point is probable and fair, but if E3 is going to be used as a guage to determine MSRP for the Wii U - as seemed to be the case for the 3DS - "negotiations" should begin on the low end from the consumer standpoint.
The Dude abides

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2012, 06:23:58 PM »
The market will tolerate a higher price for the Wii U than for the 3DS because the Wii U is a console. $250 for a handheld is a no go, but that price or even $50 more for a console has always been acceptable. There is a limit to consoles as well, because apparently $600 was way too much, but $300 is reasonable.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 06:25:30 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
  • Score: -10
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2012, 05:35:24 PM »

Well, Nintendo has already made it clear the system will be at least $300, and based on what we know I think that is understandable.
No, they didn't...

They did emphasize that it should be expected to be higher than past consoles, which since Wii launched at $250, could seem like a confirmation of at least $300 under other circumstances... BUT, they made this comment in the very wake of their recovery from the initial price problem that held back the 3DS. You have to factor-in that they're going to be extra cautious on how they price to avoid that again... What better strategy than to prepare you for the worst, only to surprise you with something not as bad?

Take a look at what 360 and PS3 are currently going for, and keep in mind the Wii U hardware is going be only slightly more advanced than that. Those consoles launched at higher prices because they were overpowered to what the mainstream market was ready for (and they still sold at losses to boot), while Wii was more suitably powered for the time (and still sold for a profit). It's only now, six years later, that the mainstream market is ready for HD systems and they are finally outpacing Wii. You have to figure Wii U's price will likely be closer to what PS3 and 360 are currently selling for, rather than when they launched.

Also consider that in Japan, where it didn't come bundled with Wii Sports, Wii launched closer to the equivalent of $200, so the extra $50 we paid in the West was for the game-- the REAL price was $200.

I'd say there's still a very good possibility of $250 (assuming it doesn't come bundled with a game). If they did that, it would only be $50 higher than Wii was in Japan, and would appear the same as Wii everywhere else.

Remember, unlike with the 3DS (which was aimed at the more hardcore audience since mobile phones have stolen the casual market on the portable front), Nintendo is still aiming to hook the casual crowd with Wii U. So, they're still going to keep the price low as possible. Honestly, I think $300 is the absolute highest to expect, not the lowest.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 12:17:23 PM by Bman87301 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2012, 09:37:24 PM »
I'm hoping they justify a $350 price tag and not a penny more.

But I'm hoping they don't actually charge more than $300 for it.

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
  • Score: -10
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2012, 11:24:04 AM »
I agree that the $299.99 price point is probable and fair, but if E3 is going to be used as a guage to determine MSRP for the Wii U - as seemed to be the case for the 3DS - "negotiations" should begin on the low end from the consumer standpoint.

Don't be so sure about that... If they hear a lot of calls for a lower price tag, it's equally likely that they'll just anticipate a lower demand and respond by pricing it higher in order to make more back with each individual hardware unit, as opposed to selling closer to cost as they might otherwise do if they anticipated higher software sales from a higher expected installed base.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 11:50:30 AM by Bman87301 »