Author Topic: Kid Icarus: Uprising Review  (Read 20485 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Kid Icarus: Uprising Review
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2012, 02:37:11 AM »
I originally dismissed this title but it's finally starting to intrigue me. My only reservation is this:
The Circle Pad Pro is almost required for lefties, though all it does is make the added Circle Pad do the same thing the main Circle Pad does.
I'm a lefty. I've used a CPP before and it's admittedly far more comfortable than I thought it would be from pictures but it's still $20 I don't want to spend and it's still largely unavailable around these parts (or at least it was a couple weeks ago when I pre-ordered Xenoblade).

Offline Ras

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2012, 02:44:48 AM »
I'm getting this game for sure--have had it on order since the option went up--but I'm worried about the controls.  I tried twice to play Super Mario Sunshine and had to give up because I could never get used to the right stick (if they had given an option to invert it, it would have been fine) even after many hours, so difficult controls are just not something I seem to be able to adjust to.

Offline UltraClayton

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2012, 07:17:26 AM »
Did anyone look at the Destructoid review? At the end by the score he said, "Basically, this is like a "7" on your grandfather's blog." That sounds like, as some of you had said, that he gave it a lower score than he felt it deserved just to cause a ruckus.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2012, 07:33:13 AM »
I'm not so much attached the review scores as I am to the content of the review. Sterling's opinion of Uprising seems more like it was "not for him" rather than the prevailing attitude towards the game which appears to be rather good all around. I'm getting the sense that people don't really like the stand in general though some are harsher on it than others. If I were to buy the game, I probably wouldn't use it since I play all portable games in my bed either propped up against a wall or laying on my stomach (I'm fidgety which is also partially why I keep 3D off).

On an unrelated note, +1 for the avatar, UltraClayton. Llamas with Hats is a favorite of mine.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 08:36:53 AM by Adrock »

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2012, 08:50:46 AM »
I get the feeling that some of the criticism of this game is based on the principle of having to package a stand with a game in order to make the controls feel right.  I think certain reviewers will have a hard time getting past that.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2012, 09:29:12 AM »
I don't see the stand even mentioned in Neal's review.  In fact I don't see him mention how it feels just holding the 3DS.

Still excited for this game on Friday.  Having the story being played out as you play I really do enjoy in games.  I'm hoping the next Fire Emblem game does that as well.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2012, 10:29:33 AM »
Not mentioning the stand was intentional. It did nothing for me other than give me a good spot to put the 3DS when I was screwing around with AR cards.

And as for system comfort...it wasn't a huge issue for me. Of course it got tiring after a while, but it didn't really affect the game for me.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2012, 11:21:14 AM »
It's worth noting that Jim Sterling also gave MK7 a 5/10.  .... yea.

@Neal
Great review.  Thanks for writing it!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2012, 12:20:51 PM »
Really curious how other reviews shake out. The controls for the third-person shooter segments and holding the 3DS seem to be the most divisive points.

They're ALL OVER the place.

Famitsu gave it a 40/40.
Destructoid gave it a 5/10.

Go figure.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/kid-icarus-uprising/critic-reviews

People really should know by now not to trust Famitsu on just about anything when it comes to reviews.  The games they've given 10/10 to (and the increased frequency in which they've done that in the past decade or so) should be enough on their own to give people pause.

On the other hand you shouldn't take the scores given out by Jim Sterling (the responsible Destructoid reviewer) too seriously either, he's known to score stuff completely out of whack (usually far lower than it deserves but then he gave Deadly Premonition of all games a 10/10 as a roundabout way of insulting Heavy Rain).

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2012, 12:25:25 PM »
On the other hand you shouldn't take the scores given out by Jim Sterling (the responsible Destructoid reviewer) too seriously either, he's known to score stuff completely out of whack (usually far lower than it deserves but then he gave Deadly Premonition of all games a 10/10 as a roundabout way of insulting Heavy Rain).

Funny, but I have this strangest feeling that I've said something very similar already...

By the way, I didn't get a chance to mention it before other replies came up, but don't trust any review put up by Jim Sterling at Destructoid.  He's a professional troll with a rather dubious review record (Assassin's Creed 2, Deadly Premonition, any Dynasty Warriors game, etc.).

;)
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2012, 12:30:10 PM »
Any review I have read makes some reference to the controls being a little weird and requiring some getting used to.  Well that's enough to tell me I won't like this.  I am SICK of "dealing with" or "adjusting" to goofy ass Nintendo controls.  This sounds like most Nintendo games since the DS/Wii era - great game with crappy controls.  I got tired of thinking "boy this would be awesome if Nintendo didn't shoehorn this horrible control scheme into it" when playing Wii games and the DS Zeldas and I'm not putting up with that anymore.  It isn't fun to fight with the controls to play what would otherwise be a great game.

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2012, 01:39:46 PM »
The controls can take a little bit to get used to, mostly because they've never been done quite like this before, BUT unlike some of the games you're referencing, I think they're the most optimal given the situation. (And don't give me nonsense about the lack of dual analog; the game is too fast for that to work better).
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 01:46:17 PM by MegaByte »
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2012, 02:49:34 PM »
Any review I have read makes some reference to the controls being a little weird and requiring some getting used to.  Well that's enough to tell me I won't like this.  I am SICK of "dealing with" or "adjusting" to goofy ass Nintendo controls.  This sounds like most Nintendo games since the DS/Wii era - great game with crappy controls.  I got tired of thinking "boy this would be awesome if Nintendo didn't shoehorn this horrible control scheme into it" when playing Wii games and the DS Zeldas and I'm not putting up with that anymore.  It isn't fun to fight with the controls to play what would otherwise be a great game.

I've seen people claim that Golden Eye had bad controls on the Wii unless you used a classic controller. I wanted to smack those people. Game reviewers seem to have a brain defect that makes them love dual analog controls over everything else.

Offline bobbyriddle

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2012, 03:03:40 PM »
Guys Jim Sterling from Destructoid gave Mario Kart 7 a 5/10.  When you read the review it really seems like the only reason was that Nintendo did not innovate enough with the title.  Seriously, when you buy Mario Kart you know going in that it will not innovate....it is just a good fun time.  KI: Uprising is an 84 on Metacritic right now with 15 reviews, and that doesn't even have the Famitsu review in it.  So really it is probably like an 87 if you pull Destructoid out.  That sounds like a fine game to me.

Offline red14

• Score: -8
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2012, 04:17:00 PM »
Okay, now does it have more than one save file? :O
If you shall force your righteous perspective upon others, which in turn requires an effort to understand, would you do the same? Or presumptuously reject theirs to begin with...?

..Which requires no effort on your part.

What else could you say in a complicated world..

Offline ROiDS

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2012, 04:23:21 PM »
The controls can take a little bit to get used to, mostly because they've never been done quite like this before, BUT unlike some of the games you're referencing, I think they're the most optimal given the situation. (And don't give me nonsense about the lack of dual analog; the game is too fast for that to work better).

I agree. I still prepare the stylus control over the analog stick, especially with FPS, TPS, and other games that includes aiming. It's more accurate and the handling is faster for me. Using the touch-screen is also preparable on some games like Professor Layton, Hotel Dusk, Ghost Trick, 999, etc. since analog sticks are limited and slow.
I think getting different control schemes for some new games are a must to make games feel fresh and new.
You're reading this.

3DS FC: 5112-4137-2486

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2012, 05:18:08 PM »
Okay, now does it have more than one save file? :O

Yes, it has three.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Drizzt

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2012, 05:37:44 PM »
I get my 3DS back from NOA thursday man I can't wait for this game! :D

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2012, 05:50:25 PM »
I've seen people claim that Golden Eye had bad controls on the Wii unless you used a classic controller. I wanted to smack those people. Game reviewers seem to have a brain defect that makes them love dual analog controls over everything else.

I think it's more that certain motion control-loving gamers have a "brain defect" that gives them a massive persecution complex.   ::)   People like playing games they way they like to play them.  I find dual analog a much more comfortable and relaxing way to play my games, so that's what I use.  You like the responsiveness, immersion, and accuracy of pointer control.  The great thing about the Wii GoldenEye is that it accommodates us both, something I wish a great deal more games on the Wii had done and I hope we see a great deal more of on the Wii U.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2012, 07:44:59 PM »
I am really interested in this game, but the controls do worry me, there is one thing that ruins an experience for me, and that is awkward controls. Still will consider it though, hopefully they release a demo.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2012, 07:55:47 PM »
My beef with touchscreen controls is mostly ergonomics.  Using a touchscreen in a fast-paced videogame while holding the system with the same hand you are using to control the directional pad/stick is just stupid wrist-killing design.  I can't think of any other touchscreen usage in history that asks the user to hold the device, operate buttons and use the touchscreen all at the same time.  The way the DS/3DS is designed touchscreen usage should be exclusive where a game is either a touchscreen game or it uses the normal controls.  Using BOTH at the same time is the problem.

For decent pointer control a mouse is the only ergonomic way to go.  Constantly holding your arm out to point the Wiimote at the screen in games like Metroid Prime 3 isn't comfortable either.

Options is where it is at.  Why can't they let people play this game with dual analog if they want to?  If it isn't as precise then tough **** for that player.  I guess the game is more challenging for him then.  But then maybe that design is more intuitive for him.  Maybe for him that makes the game less challenging depending on how good he is with dual analog or how bad he is with a touchscreen.  Maybe giving up the precision is a worthy trade-off for better ergonomics in his mind.  That's why we have options.  That's why lots of games that use a d-pad let you also use an analog stick.  Yes a fighting game or shmup fan would laugh at someone using an analog stick for digital input but no one cares if the option is there.  No one cares that SSB Brawl supports motion control when no serious player uses it.

Nintendo even has a bug up their butt about simple button mapping.  WHY?  What sane reason other than "we're stubborn control freaks" is there to not offer the option?  Unless it is absolutely impossible to map things to an alternate control scheme (which is the case with some games) just let everybody play the way they want.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2012, 08:58:54 PM »
I need to see if I still have my launch DS thumb stylus strap around somewhere.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2012, 09:39:13 PM »
I need to see if I still have my launch DS thumb stylus strap around somewhere.

I think you can still order these from Nintendo.  I got one for my DS lite and DSi.  Never got one for my XL...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2012, 10:13:24 PM »
I really don't like it when the internet grabs their pitchforks whenever a reviewer falls out of line. Unless a review is factually false, minority opinions are more valuable IMO than yet another review that falls in the consensus and says nothing new.

So often you read comments about how a game is "overrated" and people wondering "I really thought I'd like this since it's so well-regarded, how come no one made a big fuss about these flaws that are ruining my experience?". Well, most of the time, these outliers did point those flaws out. You were perhaps just too busy making up theories in your head about the reviewer risking his long-term relationship with the publisher in favor of a few quick hits to notice.

I don't think Jim genuinely finding this game "meh" is really out of the realm of possibilities. I think his score matches his review.

I'm way more surprised to read the following from Marty Sliva's review on 1up:

Kid Icarus Uprising doesn't altogether fall apart once Pit lands, but a multitude of glaring flaws appear as soon as his feet touch solid ground. For starters, roaming through these environments will inevitably leave you questioning a slew of the game's design choices, such as why does Pit move with such a strange gallop? Why is jumping, a major mechanic in the original titles, relegated to a consumable powerup ability? And speaking of abilities, is it really a good idea to force players to look away from the action in order to slide through a list of powerups? For as great as the aerial segments are executed, the land battles consistently feel rough and unfinished. This is also brought to light by the fact that the melee combat plays out like a button-mashing crap-shoot compared to the skilled accuracy promoted via ranged attacks. And then there's the control setup, which may end up being the one facet of the game that everyone can agree is a bit of a mess.

Maneuvering Pit in a 3D environment quickly becomes a cumbersome task, leading to an ailment that may go down in infamy as the "Icarus Claw." It honestly becomes physically uncomfortable to play the game after about 30 minutes. If you're right-handed, you'll be using your left hand to hold the 3DS, move Pit via the analog stick, and fire using the L trigger. At the same time, your right hand will be busy using the stylus to navigate your reticule, control the camera, and choose various abilities on the bottom screen. The fact that your left hand is forced to assume a sort of claw-like pose will inevitably lead to muscle pains after only a handful of missions. Lefties are given the option to use the Circle Pad Pro to essentially reverse the control scheme, but I can only imagine that the extra weight makes this even more of a hassle. Nintendo was obviously aware of this problem, and tried to deal with it by including a plastic stand with each copy of the game that allows you to prop the 3DS up on its own. While this does alleviate some of the burden, it's not a suitable solution if you're playing the game anywhere but at a desk. This whole mess makes you questions whether there could there have been a more comfortable control system for this game, and if not, should it have been created for the Wii instead of the 3DS?

Does that look like the game deserves the B+ (or 8.5 if you prefer) it got, to you?

If a reviewer or gamer doesn't have the same issue, fine. But this reviewer did, and I'm dumbfounded as to how he ended up giving the game as high a score as he did.

Did anyone look at the Destructoid review? At the end by the score he said, "Basically, this is like a "7" on your grandfather's blog." That sounds like, as some of you had said, that he gave it a lower score than he felt it deserved just to cause a ruckus.
That's their scale, though. They just prefer to dedicated more of their scale for the good games than the usual "anything below 7 isn't worth your time" most sites use. A 6 on Destructoid is still a recommended game to some degree.

Offline jarodea

• A man of the world, so suave and discrete, he trips over the women piled up at his feet
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2012, 10:32:44 PM »
Well I'll have to put this game on my buy whenever I have the money to list.  I was really hoping it was great from the start so it's good to hear from NWR and other sources that it is.