Author Topic: Kid Icarus: Uprising Review  (Read 20487 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Kid Icarus: Uprising Review
« on: March 19, 2012, 11:25:39 PM »

We can give him hell for saying it so much, but Pit was right. We weren't ready yet.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/29571

When Kid Icarus: Uprising was revealed at E3 2010 and subsequently shown off at other trade shows and events, there were often more questions than answers. The demos were just timed affairs that highlighted Sin & Punishment-esque sequences. It didn’t seem like there was much meat to Masahiro Sakurai’s first non-Smash Bros. game since 2005. However, Kid Icarus: Uprising is far greater than that first impression, and more robust than nearly every other game on the 3DS. If you’ve been looking for that wholly original game to get on 3DS, Pit’s return to the spotlight is just that. Simply put, there isn’t really anything else like Uprising out there, and that is a wondrous fact.

My favorite part of the game is the completely insane and crazy story. The game begins as you’d expect a Kid Icarus game to: traveling through Greek-esque locales to fight Medusa. However, you wind up going everywhere, from the underworld to space, as you fight tons of humorous and difficult enemies. Along the way, you’re treated to superb dialogue involving Pit, the goddess Palutena, and a variety of friends and foes. It’s kind of dumb, but it’s some of the wittiest game dialogue I’ve been privy to, including meta references to Dr. Mario, Nintendogs, and the economy. The best part is you’re rarely forced to sit through cut scenes. They are present occasionally, but most of the story is told as you play. It can be a little distracting, but it’s never an irritable distraction because the humor is so prevalent and sharp.

Gameplay-wise, Kid Icarus: Uprising is a hybrid of a rail shooter and a third-person shooter. At the beginning of each of the game’s many chapters, Pit starts off by flying and shooting at enemies. Everything about the rail shooter segments is sublime; the 3D pops right off the screen, and using the Circle Pad to move, and touch screen to aim works wonderfully.

Roughly halfway through every chapter, Pit heads to the ground, and the game turns into a peculiar third-person shooter that feels similar to Smash Bros. in a weird way. The controls remain similar to the rail segments, but you can move freely and your attacks vary between melee and ranged. You can also do “smash” attacks by slamming the Circle Pad into a direction while attacking. These sections are usually the longer parts of the game, and feature some light exploration to gather more loot. To end each chapter, you fight a boss, which is almost always a wonderful experience since these enemies are huge, interesting, and fun to go up against.

Unfortunately, sometimes the controls betray the third-person areas. The touch screen controls are a little odd, and in the game you’re told to approach the mechanic as if “spinning a globe,” which takes some getting used to. If you can conquer the learning curve, you can use the touch screen with deft and ease. Even still, Pit controls very loosely and can be a little slippery. Luckily, the majority of the game takes place in open spaces where this isn’t too much of an issue. There are a few moments where Pit has to nimbly walk across a narrow path or you have fight enemies in close quarters that sully the experience.

There are myriad control options that allow you customize and tweak the inputs to your liking, which helps the perceived issues. The Circle Pad Pro is almost required for lefties, though all it does is make the added Circle Pad do the same thing the main Circle Pad does. There is also a no-stylus mode, but that can only use the face buttons for character movement and the Circle Pad for aiming. Personally, I loved using the Circle Pad Pro, but the no-stylus option was dreadful.

In addition to the single-player, there is multiplayer, which is basically Smash Bros. from the third-person perspective. You can participate in Free For All or 3 vs. 3 team battles across a variety of stages, complete with requisite crazy items (Atlas’ foot is my favorite) and a high degree of customization. You can even create different loadouts for your character, so you can easily change your style when you hop online or play your friends locally.

The loadouts feature different powers and weapons you can equip. Weapon fusion is one of the wonderful collectable parts of the game. You can take two weapons and fuse them together to make a new, usually more powerful weapon. With eight different weapon types and a ton of unique weapons in each type, the system is addictive, rewarding, and fun. For the most part, every weapon is kind of ridiculous, from the Skyscraper Club that is, well, a club with a skyscraper on the end of it, to the Bowl Arm, which allows you to shoot bowls of miso soup at enemies. Outside of fusion, you can find weapons in chapters and also buy them with hearts you acquire by playing the game. There’s even a whole StreetPass and SpotPass component I haven’t been able to scratch the surface of. You can also unlock even more weapons by completing different achievements in-game.

The other collectable aspect of the game is the AR cards and idols. The AR cards are used for two things in game: a lame battle simulator and unlocking idols, which are similar to trophies in Smash Bros. The idols can also be acquired by playing a peculiar Egg Toss game, so you’re not doomed to have an inferior collection if you don’t have access to the highly sought-after AR cards. In addition to that, there are even more collectables and unlockables restricted by an embargo, but we’ll detail everything in our Kid Icarus: Uprising guide.

Then there’s the Fiend’s Cauldron, which effectively gives the game 99 different difficulties. Depending on where you set the slider (from 0.1 to 9.0 in increments of 0.1), you face harder enemies and get more loot. It gets very tough, meaning that even if you’ve beaten the game, you can still go back and face a stiffer challenge with more enemies. The latter is the best part, because it’s not just going through areas with enemies doing more damage; instead, the difficulty just ratchets up the amount of enemies and the craziness.

Kid Icarus: Uprising is jam packed with content, and outside of the control issues, is an amazing game. The 21-year wait for a new Kid Icarus game was completely worth it, because this is one of the craziest and most original games released by Nintendo in a while. If you have a 3DS and are even remotely interested in this game, I highly recommend that you seek this out.

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
Re: Kid Icarus: Uprising Review
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 12:08:37 AM »
Really curious how other reviews shake out. The controls for the third-person shooter segments and holding the 3DS seem to be the most divisive points.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 12:20:46 AM »
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 12:31:33 AM »
Really curious how other reviews shake out. The controls for the third-person shooter segments and holding the 3DS seem to be the most divisive points.

They're ALL OVER the place.

Famitsu gave it a 40/40.
Destructoid gave it a 5/10.

Go figure.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/kid-icarus-uprising/critic-reviews
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 12:38:04 AM »

Famitsu gave it a 40/40.
Destructoid gave it a 5/10.

Go figure.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/3ds/kid-icarus-uprising/critic-reviews

People really should know by now not to trust Famitsu on just about anything when it comes to reviews.  The games they've given 10/10 to (and the increased frequency in which they've done that in the past decade or so) should be enough on their own to give people pause.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 12:39:11 AM »
Curious, which game did Famitsu give a 40/40 that was bad?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 12:40:04 AM »
brood, it seems that pretty much everyone except Destroid loves the game (even Game Informer gives it a average score).

UncleBob, the first one that springs to mind is Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2012, 12:42:32 AM »
I wouldn't call that all over the place. Everybody so far has put it in the 80s or 90s except for Destructoid and Game Informer.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2012, 12:44:07 AM »
http://www.metacritic.com/game/psp/metal-gear-solid-peace-walker
Has an 89 critic score (65 positive reviews, one mixed and zero negative)and an 8.9 via 165 user reviews on Metacritic

You may not have liked it... I haven't played it... but "bad"?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2012, 12:45:01 AM »
Curious, which game did Famitsu give a 40/40 that was bad?

Here's the list of Famitsu perfect scores.

In chronological order, the games they've given perfect scores to that I have issues with (that I've played):

- Final Fantasy 12 (god I hate that game)
- Monster Hunter Tri
- Bayonetta
- New Super Mario Bros. Wii
- Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
- Elder Scrolls 4: Skyrim (note: the PS3 version, as well as the 360 version. NO ONE who wasn't bought off could give the PS3 version a perfect score)
- Final Fantasy XIII-2 (I like the game, but it's not a 10/10)

There are other games on that list I find objectionable, but I haven't played them so I really can't judge (MGS 4, Nintendogs, Dragon Quest 9).  Famitsu has shown in the past that they can be bought (in at least near-perfect reviews if not perfect reviews altogether), so I don't trust their reviews.

By the way, I didn't get a chance to mention it before other replies came up, but don't trust any review put up by Jim Sterling at Destructoid.  He's a professional troll with a rather dubious review record (Assassin's Creed 2, Deadly Premonition, any Dynasty Warriors game, etc.).
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 12:46:34 AM by broodwars »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 12:45:57 AM »
I wouldn't call that all over the place. Everybody so far has put it in the 80s or 90s except for Destructoid and Game Informer.

True.  Those are the only two, and even GI gave it a 70.

Destructoid must be this games "Let's give the Nintendo title a low score and watch the fanboys rage and get page hits" review.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 12:53:54 AM »
- Final Fantasy 12 (god I hate that game)
92/7.6 via Metacritic

- Monster Hunter Tri
84/8.9

- Bayonetta
90/7.6

- New Super Mario Bros. Wii
87/8.6

- Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
93/7.7

- Elder Scrolls 4: Skyrim (note: the PS3 version, as well as the 360 version. NO ONE who wasn't bought off could give the PS3 version a perfect score)
360: 96/8.4
PS3: 92/5.4

- Final Fantasy XIII-2 (I like the game, but it's not a 10/10)
79/6.9

Bad? PS3 version of Skyrim, based on user reviews, I suppose.

It would seem the general community seems to agree, though, that these aren't bad games

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 12:54:09 AM »
Destructoid must be this games "Let's give the Nintendo title a low score and watch the fanboys rage and get page hits" review.

Not Destructoid as a whole, just Jim Sterling. As I said, he's a egomaniacal professional troll who delights in giving high scores to bad titles and low scores to great ones just to piss people off.  I really don't have any issues with the rest of that site's reviewers.

As for Game Informer, bear in mind that their review scale is openly twisted.  Somehow a 7.0 is officially an average title.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 12:56:19 AM »
It would seem the general community seems to agree, though, that these aren't bad games

That would be a counter to my argument if I had said that companies paid Famitsu off to give perfect reviews to bad titles.  I said they paid them off to get less-than-perfect (and in many cases severely flawed) games Perfect Reviews.  In many cases, the games aren't bad (although I loathe Final Fantasy 12), but they certainly aren't 10/10 material.  That's especially true in the case of the PS3 version of Skyrim.  Also note how many of these "40/40" titles hit in the last 7 years, as opposed to the four that hit before then.  No, there's nothing odd about that whatsoever.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 12:59:44 AM by broodwars »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 01:04:58 AM »
If you're not trying to claim that the games are bad, why did you directly quote me specifically asking for bad games, then reply to my question/quote with a list of games?

I think you're confusing the idea of a "Perfect Score" with that of a "Perfect Game".

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 01:11:35 AM »
If you're not trying to claim that the games are bad, why did you directly quote me specifically asking for bad games, then reply to my question/quote with a list of games?

Because it's a list of deeply-flawed games (and now that I think about it, the PS3 version of Bayonetta had severe loading and framerate issues, which caused it to get highly-criticized over here before it was eventually fixed with a patch much later on).  Most of them don't even deserve the Metacritic they have, let alone the once highly-regarded "40/40" Famitsu score.  My point was that Famitsu is untrustworthy as a review source, and they are.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 01:13:17 AM by broodwars »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 01:13:31 AM »
So.. are you saying that a deeply flawed game is always bad?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2012, 01:16:39 AM »
So.. are you saying that a deeply flawed game is always bad?

It depends on that nature of the flaws and how broadly they manifest, but at the very least deeply flawed games do not deserve to be considered pinnacles of their respective genres (which is what most reviewers seem to view the 10/10 score as).  Just the comparison between some of the user scores and the Metacritic scores on the games you researched will tell you that much.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 01:19:43 AM by broodwars »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2012, 01:24:24 AM »
but at the very least deeply flawed games do not deserve to be considered pinnacles of their respective genres (which is what most reviewers seem to view the 10/10 score as).

I'm not sure if anyone's trying to claim that.

On the other hand, you said:
People really should know by now not to trust Famitsu on just about anything when it comes to reviews.

Which is pretty harsh.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2012, 01:38:37 AM »
On the other hand, you said:
People really should know by now not to trust Famitsu on just about anything when it comes to reviews.

Which is pretty harsh.

And I stand by that harshness.  I don't trust their reviews, and I don't see why anyone else should, either.  Beyond their pretty obvious grade inflation (which, while certainly not limited to Famitsu, is still pretty bad), there are some other major issues with how Famitsu reviews their games.  The article I linked in the above sentence goes into much that further, though it's not as detailed an examination as I'd like.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2012, 01:47:06 AM »
So... you're saying that Famitsu can't be trusted because they awarded games high scores that you believe to be "deeply flawed", but won't say are "bad" (PS3 Skyrim being the exception - which is an odd case) and that the majority of the internet seems to have favorable opinions of?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2012, 02:01:07 AM »
So... you're saying that Famitsu can't be trusted because they awarded games high scores that you believe to be "deeply flawed", but won't say are "bad" (PS3 Skyrim being the exception - which is an odd case) and that the majority of the internet seems to have favorable opinions of?

As your own Metacritic research showed, "favorable opinions" does not equate to "exceptionally high opinions".  I don't think they can be trusted because they'll give "favorable" to high scores and almost useless 2-sentence "reviews" to just about anything under the sun.  I can't remember the last game I heard of that got less than a 25/40 from Famitsu, which given that it's over 50% would be considered a positive overall score.

Feel free to think whatever you wish about Famitsu.  I just find them an extremely bad barometer for the overall quality of games.  And there's good reason why the only things people cite about their reviews are the scores: the actual "content" of their 2-sentence "reviews" (and I use that term loosely) is pretty frickin' unhelpful.  I'd say that we had it just as bad over here with Game Informer, but even that magazine has reviews with content one might actually find useful in making a purchasing decision, and I've actually seen them break out the sub-5.0 score from time to time.  IMO, you should only go to Famitsu if you're looking for breaking news in Japan, since they are very good about acquiring that.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 02:05:17 AM by broodwars »

Offline Enner

• My sales numbers, let me show you them
  • Score: 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2012, 02:10:15 AM »
I don't trust their reviews, and I don't see why anyone else should, either. 

Eh, it's another score to throw in an aggregate. Always good to make that sample size bigger. Then again, I don't get hung up on reviews and review scores with any sort of reaction more than, "Eh, that sounds pretty bad"; "Eh, that sounds kinda good"'; or, "Hmm, that looks interesting." From there, it's one more step to buying the game or passing on it.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2012, 02:15:39 AM »
As your own Metacritic research showed, "favorable opinions" does not equate to "exceptionally high opinions".

To be fair, most of those games you listed had at least one 100 critic review outside of Famitsu.

And I didn't say that "favorable opinion" equates to "exceptionally high opinions" - but you're falling into the trap that many people fall into when they read reviews online.  They look at the Mario Tennis Review, they see it got a perfect score, then they assume that the game must be perfect.  They think that perfect score = perfect game.  It's not, never has been and never will be.  It just means that particular reviewer (or, in the case of Famitsu, four reviewers) just really, really liked that game.  Nothing more, nothing less.

Now, you want to say that some people put too much stock into Famitsu.  Maybe.  Personally, I think people put too much stock into most all reviews.  Opinions and buttholes.

I don't think they can be trusted because they'll give "favorable" to high scores and almost useless 2-sentence "reviews" to just about anything under the sun.  I can't remember the last game I heard of that got less than a 25/40 from Famitsu, which given that it's over 50% would be considered a positive overall score.

Can't say I follow much Famitsu, but how much of this has more to do with the type of games they review?  Did they review That's So Raven for the GBA or Charlie's Angles for the GCN?

I just find them an extremely bad barometer for the overall quality of games.
But you just pointed out several games that they said were good, then refused to call the games bad... seems like, while they be a little more generous on their reviews, they seem to fall in line with the general population on what they consider a good game.

And there's good reason why the only things people cite about their reviews are the scores: the actual "content" of their 2-sentence "reviews" (and I use that term loosely) is pretty frickin' unhelpful.
err... thanks for parroting from the link you provided earlier?

Oh, and w/r/t your complaints about the PS3 version of Bayonetta and Famitsu's 40/40...  the 40/40 was only for the 360 version.  The PS3 version got a 38/40  Seems like even that falls in line with your opinion...

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2012, 02:31:57 AM »
I think we can all agree that there is no real, absolute voice that can decide whether or not a game is worth it. Famitsu has always been seen as a respected gaming publication and yet look at how we are discussing their opinion on games and if they are "right" or "wrong". The one thing that could be agreed on is if a game is well made or not. In this case, Kid Icarus is a well made game. But is it a game EVERYONE will enjoy? No idea, all we can do is agree to disagree and share what we got out of the game.
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer