Author Topic: Nintendo Wises Up  (Read 46389 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo Wises Up
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2012, 12:50:20 AM »
Talking about copyrighted stuff is not illegal. The avatars fall under fair use. NWR would be safe.

No site would ever be safe because under SOPA they can be shut down based on an accusation alone. Whether a site is actually guilty or not doesn't matter, because it would be shut down with no questions asked. What part of that don't you understand?
is your sanity...

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2012, 05:12:51 AM »
Fair use is no deterrent from take down notice being sent and acted upon. Unless you're willing to go to court and bear the expenses, a takedown would stand if acted upon.

It has already been shown that companies already abuse DMCA. Giving them more power would only cause more widespread and more damaging abuses of law. SOPA and PIPA is Legal Grey Goo as the internet to connected to everything by design. Even back in 2000 linking could have been considered illegal and a breach of copyright. The sponsors of bills like this other others have shown themselves time and again morally and intellectually bankrupt willing to destroy the greater good to make a quick buck.
Google notes that more than half (57%) of the takedown notices it has received under the US Digital Millennium Copyright Act 1998, were sent by business targeting competitors and over one third (37%) of notices were not valid copyright claims.

It's not valid though. Unless your site is illegally hosting content, you have nothing to be worried about.
Put up, or shut up. We have only your assertions that we have nothing to worry about. A just world fallacy if I ever saw one. There are places that do argue for SOPA/PIPA and like hell I would help you look for them. Do you own damn homework. They run the flimsiest of justifications as to why SOPA/PIPA wouldn't breach the first amendment ignoring real world precedent and making the assumption abuses never happen. That is assuming places like it isn't a sock puppet blog or site.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2012, 08:46:40 AM »
I love Google's logo today, signed the petition on there and xda-developers.com so far...
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2012, 04:51:25 PM »
I'm on Twitter,youtube,and the like and I am liking SOPA videos on youtube as well as faving them on my channel. Also retweeting any videos I have come across.  Gonna start contacting my reps and signing petitions soon.

For those that want to contact their Representatives just go to Wikipedia and enter your zip code and they will give you contact info so you can talk to your Representatives.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 05:32:08 PM by Maxi »
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline SonofMrPeanut

• (illegitimately)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2012, 10:13:54 PM »
In case some of you weren't already aware, the ESA (Electronic Software Association) supports SOPA and PIPA.  They are currently considered the face of the video game industry in the government.  Since the ESA runs E3, this has given way to a protest movement:  People and Outlets refusing to cover E3 until the ESA changes their stance on SOPA and PIPA.

Watch the video below and sign the petition in the description.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VscOfRu60Ms

I encourage everyone to get on Nintendo World Report about this, since they are a major force in the Nintendo community.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2012, 10:26:28 PM »
LOL, that is a bad idea. First, I want coverage of E3 so I would not support anything that interrupts it. Second, the mainstream press will still cover it. Third, I don't see you doing something like refusing to watch any movies (for example) since the MPAA supports it.

And since E3 is not until June, it's very likely that the bills will either be signed or not by then. President Obama has already said he does not support them, so he would most likely veto them (though I think both bills have a veto proof majority so far).
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 10:28:04 PM by TJ Spyke »
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2012, 10:29:15 PM »
That would be the best thing ever, if say, someone like Microsoft or Nintendo had the balls to pull out of E3 to show that they actually care about their consumers.

And the MPAA does *not* support you "watching movies" they support you buying movies.

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2012, 10:36:37 PM »
See here's the thing TJ the news will still be out there after E3 is over.There isn't anybody stopping you from getting the info yourself. Also if I am not mistaken E3 is in June this year so if the ESA pulls support for SOPA then it is a win win for all parties. The SOPA supporters will have another company against SOPA and the gamers will have their news.  You said it yourself there will likely be someway of getting the news so whats the point in not supporting this idea?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 10:39:26 PM by Maxi »
Alexis, she/her/Miss

I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2012, 10:39:32 PM »
I assumed people would get that is what I meant.

Also, the NFL supports it. Why don't you try and get media to not cover the Super Bowl? LOL
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2012, 11:13:02 PM »
I couldn't support boycotting E3. If EVERY major videogame news outlet got involved I wouldn't be able to get the damn info. Now, if Sony, MS and Nintendo all had the balls to pull out, then I just simply wouldn't get an E3. And Congress (and this is key) STILL WOULDN'T GIVE A ****! They're not gamers. They're not us. If they were us, this would not be a thing.

Random webcomics going dark today helps because they all say "sign this petition" or "here's a link to help you write your congressman." No E3 only hurts us in the short term with no real long term benefit.

BTW, I wrote my congress people today.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2012, 11:32:40 PM »
LOL, that is a bad idea.

You seem to be the only one who finds this whole thing amusing. This means either you are a sicko who finds humor in other people's misfortune or you are a troll like Morari said earlier. Which one is it? Or is it both?

You don't really support this stuff, do you TJ? You are just trolling, right?

Quote from: TJ Spyke
I would not support anything that interrupts it

Under those conditions it wouldn't be sincere support anyway, so no big loss IMHO.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 11:41:32 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2012, 11:45:02 PM »
I just find the idea of websites deciding not to cover E3 to by funny since it would never happen. And what misfortune?

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2012, 11:47:57 PM »
I just find the idea of websites deciding not to cover E3 to by funny since it would never happen. And what misfortune?

The misfortune of sites being shut down without warning and without due process. It would ruin the internet as we know it.
is your sanity...

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2012, 11:54:12 PM »
Talking about copyrighted stuff is not illegal. The avatars fall under fair use. NWR would be safe.

I'm curious, how, exactly, does an avatar count as fair use?  It's not for news or critiquing.  It's not for educational purposes.  It doesn't really seem to fall under any of the typical "Fair Use" exemptions...
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2012, 12:02:05 AM »
This supposed boycott on E3 will never be successful because no site that statistically matters when it comes video game news coverage will sign on.  You didn't see IGN, NintendoWorldReport, Gamespot, 1up, etc. blacked-out today to join the irritating "SOPA Blackout Day" protest.  And you won't see them boycotting their largest event for readership to protest a bill that will not be signed into law.

That's right, I said it won't become law.  Obama (in one of the few moves of his I agree with) has given a statement saying he will veto the bill if it passes congress, and I don't think SOPA has the votes to override a presidential veto.  Game Over.

I definitely side with all the websites and people denouncing SOPA because it is a terrible bill with horrible longterm repercussions, but enough is enough.  The entire internet has been whining about this bill for months, and I'm sick of hearing and reading about it.  Until we see a revised bill with a better chance of passing congress and getting the President's signature, the day is won. 

Everyone should still keep an eye on the bill, but enough with all the self-righteous posturing all over the internet. Somewhere down the line, something is going to have to be done about online piracy because it is damaging to IP viability, but this is not the bill to do it.  All the people complaining about SOPA should turn their attention to what they're willing to give up to keep the internet as open as possible, because the internet won't remain like it is forever.  Whether you agree or disagree with that, I think we're going to be facing a Kobiyashi Maru scenario: remain against any changes and watch more bills like SOPA be attempted until finally one of them passes, or prepare to give some concessions to keep the internet as open as possible for as long as possible.  We've seen this before with the creation of the ESRB, and is anyone really going to argue that we're worse off for that, especially considering the alternative under a governmental censorship system like Australia or Germany?
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2012, 12:26:17 AM »
Broodwars, hopefully Obama will veto it, but just because he said he would doesn't necessarily mean he will. Politicians say a lot of things during an election year, and not all of it ends up being carried out. 2012 is a presidential election year so that's why he would say something like that. I hope he does mean it, but I won't count on that as a given.
is your sanity...

Offline BeautifulShy

• View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2012, 12:39:45 AM »
Broodwars...I think people are just afraid of what could happen if these Bills pass and are just doing what they can to try to stop it from happening by any means. Few things I want to bring up though. The gaming media has behind this whole SOPA and PIPA thing since it was first announced so I am not really surprised to see most of them not particapating in what was happening today. I actually found about this bill on youtube from the Let's play community.Not from any of the big gaming sites. Yeah mull that around a bit.

I just feel that the entire internet won't back down until it is dead and gone for good. These Bills can affect a lot of peoples livelihoods and they are fighting for that amoung other things to protect that. This past year or so has been very protest heavy and it has started a movement that I am not sure when it is going to end.

There was also another bill a few years back that passed the President said wouldn't pass but it did. The DMCA I believe it was.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2012, 12:46:10 AM »
All the DMCA did was put into US law 2 different international treaties that had been passed 2 years earlier. The DMCA would have been passed even if President Clinton vetoed it since it was passed unanimously in both chambers of Congress (so they could have over-rode the veto).

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2012, 09:57:46 PM »
So, Anonymous shut down the Department of Justice, MPAA, and RIAA websites today, because they took down megaupload.com and arrested 7 people that ran it. Pretty ironic when you think about it.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2012, 10:21:30 PM »
Megaupload was one of the biggest sites of illegal content, so they were right to be shut down. Anonymous proves once again that they are cowards and criminals. This is like police shutting down a piracy ring, and then a group attacking them from the shadows. This is no different than a torrent site getting taken down.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2012, 10:29:00 PM »
No, it's like the RIAA and MPAA shutting down website whenever they want to. It's very different than a torrent site getting taken down, since torrent don't actually host anything.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2012, 10:38:35 PM »
You are right, in this case Megaupload is very clearly breaking the law since they are hosting the content themselves (though torrent sites are not exactly squeaky clean). I am not a big fan of the site anyways (the 72 minute time limit), so I am not said to see it taken down.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2012, 10:42:05 PM »
God, why do the US have to ruin everything.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2012, 10:45:34 PM »
You are right, why shouldn't a site be allowed to illegally host thousands of movies and TV shows?

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2012, 11:11:34 PM »
Dude, sharing is caring. Didn't anyone share with you as a child?
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).