Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. for WiiU (& 3DS)  (Read 461792 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Super Smash Bros. for WiiU (& 3DS)
« Reply #850 on: May 16, 2014, 09:40:26 AM »
It be nice to have costumes instead of clones.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: May 16, 2014, 12:09:05 PM »
I don't want Wolf or Falco cut just so Fox can wear them as a skin. I doubt Sakurai will use completely different characters as alternates, just different actual costumes that the characters have had from their games.

I want Strikers Donkey Kong, Cat and Dry Bowser, and Light Suit Samus most of all.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: May 16, 2014, 12:09:17 PM »
I suspect wolf will be reduced to an alt for fox with his own voice track

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: May 16, 2014, 01:01:58 PM »
But why would they do that? Wolf is the complete opposite of Fox. Even Falco would be a better choice for an alt costume because they are much closer together in moveset and theme.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: May 16, 2014, 01:10:53 PM »
Maybe they can keep Fox and Wolf separate and their alts are just members of the Star Fox and Star Wolf teams respectively.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #855 on: May 16, 2014, 02:28:24 PM »
I think the cuts should be made in this way:

1.  Can we make this character different enough not to be a clone?

If Yes, then they stay on.
If No, they become a costume of the parent character.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: May 16, 2014, 02:59:20 PM »

I think the cuts should be made in this way:

1.  Can we make this character different enough not to be a clone?

If Yes, then they stay on.
If No, they become a costume of the parent character.

And this is why Wolf isn't getting cut.  All of his A attacks and throws are already 100% different from Fox and even his B special attacks while somewhat similar to Fox, are still more different then Falco's special attacks compared to Fox.  Out of all the so called clones, Wolf has always been the least cloniest of all.  He already 90% original anyway with even some of the remaining 10% questionable.  I'd even consider things like his blaster and side special unique as well considering his blaster can cause extra damage at close range thanks to the blade on it and it doesnt shoot a long beam like Fox and Falco.  Plus his side special can cause a Meteor Smash if you hit someone with the end of it which causes Wolf players to have to use that move in completely different way then Fox/Falco players.

Considering just how much more attention was put into Wolf then the other so called clones it still blows my mind people honestly think he's going to be cut or even has a chance of being cut. 
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: May 16, 2014, 03:01:07 PM »
If a Star Fox character gets cut, I think there's a 99% chance it's Falco. I never really understood his inclusion in the series in the first place.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #858 on: May 16, 2014, 04:22:30 PM »
Plus, Wolf was my main. If he's gone, I don't know who I can replace him with. :(

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: May 16, 2014, 04:30:01 PM »
If a Star Fox character gets cut, I think there's a 99% chance it's Falco. I never really understood his inclusion in the series in the first place.

Well according to the old Japanese Melee website, Falco was the most requested Star Fox character by the Japanese fans back in 2001.  Since the clones in Melee were added because they had to rush it for the holiday 2001 deadline, Falco would have been the most likely new Star Fox character since he was the most requested by the Japanese at least, and the easiest to make a clone out of Fox to help save time as well.

These days though, with the lack of popularity for Star Fox in general, yeah there's nothing to really keep Falco in anymore if Sakurai is going to decide to cut a Star Fox character since they already have Wolf as a nice alternative to Fox with Falco being the more redundant of the two.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: May 16, 2014, 07:38:03 PM »
I would rather they just gave Falco a more unique move set. I hate the thought of cutting characters at all. Once in Smash they should be in for good.

Give him a really clever move set and drive fans wild speculating if this is hinting at a new Star Fox title starring Falco.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: May 17, 2014, 01:54:51 AM »
falco's too popular with the tourney fans to cut.

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: May 17, 2014, 01:56:00 AM »
Would those be the same tourney fans Sakurai likes to troll at every opportunity?

J.P. Corbran

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: May 17, 2014, 11:32:32 AM »
And yet he catered to them by making the two different online modes.
My Game Collection

Offline MagicCow64

• Still no title
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: May 17, 2014, 02:22:16 PM »
The expansion of alternate costumes is definitely cool. It makes specific aesthetic sense with the Villager and Trainer characters, but the Little Mac variant seems like it's just for fun. Based on that, I'd say it's pretty open to have genuine alternate costumes for most characters rather than just palette swaps. At the same time, I think there's 0% chance that any of these costumes will have any gameplay effects. That would just be a little too confusing for general audiences. 

If a Star Fox character gets cut, and one probably should, I'd put my hat in the Wolf ring. Despite analyses that "Wolf isn't a clone at all!!" he's totally a clone, and less prevalent in the Star Fox series than Falco. And as was mentioned above, Falco was a popular request and is popular with competitive players, while Wolf has the infamous legacy of being the Landmastered final character reveal from Brawl. Based on meta-emotional voodoo reading, I'd say this puts Wolf at a disadvantage.

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: May 17, 2014, 04:32:45 PM »
Just because Sakurai gave tourney players their own online mode, doesn't mean he's suddenly catering to them.  Hell this mode is just a simple flat surface to each stage with the normal background still there and items disabled.  It was probably made by two guys in a week because of how simple it was to do.  Yes he gave them something to be happy about, but because of how simple it is to make such a mode, I wouldn't use that as an example he's going to go out of his way to make them 100% satisfied.

It goes like this, you remove Falco, it's easier for his players to play as Fox since both characters are fast, have similar weights and share most of their attacks.  You remove Wolf, his players have no one to go to since he's much slower, heavier and 95% of his attacks work completely different.  If it comes down to Sakurai removing a character that will anger a few thousand tournament player versus a character that will anger a few million normal players, Falco is getting the axe first.

Just because some people are still angry Wolf was the final character in Brawl instead of someone else they wanted, doesn't suddenly means he's getting cut to make up for their butthurt they should have gotten over 6 years ago.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #866 on: May 17, 2014, 05:10:47 PM »
But what if they reconfigure Falco to play more like Wolf? Huh? Huh? Eh? Huh? :P

Falco's in, and he's getting a moveset change and stats readjusted to feel different.

Wolf? He's out.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Oblivion

• View Profile
« Reply #867 on: May 17, 2014, 05:46:27 PM »
But what if they reconfigure Falco to play more like Wolf? Huh? Huh? Eh? Huh? :P:

Falco's in, and he's getting a moveset change and stats readjusted to feel different.

Wolf? He's out.

Source plox

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #868 on: May 17, 2014, 05:55:32 PM »
But what if they reconfigure Falco to play more like Wolf? Huh? Huh? Eh? Huh? :P:

Wolf? He's out.

Source plox
Plot twist.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: May 18, 2014, 03:28:10 PM »
And yet he catered to them by making the two different online modes.

He catered to them, but he trolled them relentlessly in the process. You can't tell me the names of the modes aren't sarcastic, and making it so every stage has a Final Destination mode isn't trolling them. He's having it both ways.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #870 on: May 19, 2014, 02:09:32 PM »
I'm betting they both stay in.  Falco's design wouldn't suit Wolf's weight, as would other aspects of Wolf's moveset.

I think Wolf gets a bad rap for looking too much like Fox.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: May 19, 2014, 06:34:05 PM »
I blame the bad rap on all three of them having THE SAME LANDMASTER FINAL SMASH.

Change the smashes and it changes the entire frame of discussion. Though Crystal wielding the staff is long overdue as a Smash character.
My Game Collection

Online NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: May 19, 2014, 06:39:30 PM »
Krystal has a fighting style that no one currently in Smash has. If there were going to be three Star Fox characters she should definitely be one of them.

J.P. Corbran

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #873 on: May 20, 2014, 10:34:43 AM »
Agreed, but it's still kinda hard to axe one of them (as discussed) and damn near impossible to justify having 4 Starfox characters.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: May 20, 2014, 10:59:28 AM »
It would be easy to include 4 if there were working on another Star Fox game.
My Game Collection