Author Topic: Super Smash Bros. for WiiU (& 3DS)  (Read 461785 times)

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
Re: Super Smash Bros. WiiU (& 3DS)
« Reply #200 on: May 26, 2012, 09:33:33 PM »
Who cares if Mega Man 9 and 10 were downloadable? That doesn't negate the fact that Capcom brought the series back to its 8-bit roots, showing fans that they do care about the character.

Both games were made when Inafune was still at Capcom.  Inafune was the one who got those games greenlite and only because of how low budget they were.  Inafune also got Capcom to greenlite a prototype for Mega Man Legends 3 which was going to be a download only demo to see how much fan interest was in the game.  After Inafune left, Capcom canceled it showing they didn't even care about how popular a prototype demo would have been because they just didn't care about the game period.

Inafune was the only one at Capcom keeping the series alive and with him gone, the series currently dead.  Now Capcom might revive it in the future but right now, the current management doesn't care.

To be fair, he's in the PS3 version of Street Fighter x Tekken.

:@
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #201 on: May 26, 2012, 09:37:33 PM »
And it's not just regular Mega Man in SFxT - it's Mega Man as featured on the Mega Man 1 box.

So yeah, they're pretty much treating Mega Man as an object of mockery at this point.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 27, 2012, 02:42:01 AM »
Does anyone know why exactly Capcom has been treating Megaman so crappy lately? Though I think box art megaman is cool, why does it seem like the company has it in for him?
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline MysticGohan

• I have a large position in nVidia.
  • Score: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 27, 2012, 04:39:18 AM »
Maybe a personal vendetta against Infaune?
Everytime you open your mouth you prove you're an idiot. ~Vegeta

Never argue with an idiot he'll bring you to his level and beat you with experience.

"I'm doing this because I'm PISSED! Why the hell didn't you ask for my help!?!?" `Roy Mustang  FMA

I could go into a Wendy's res

Offline tendoboy1984

• KyTim 2: The KyTimening
  • Score: -42
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 27, 2012, 07:03:59 PM »
If Capcom doesn't care about Mega Man then they should give the series to Inafune.
Nintendo Network: tendoboy1984
PSN: PS_man1984
3DS: 2294-5830-5931

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #205 on: May 27, 2012, 07:12:55 PM »
They probably couldn't give away too many rights to the franchise without hurting their own rights to Zero, who they seem to care more about.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 27, 2012, 07:26:25 PM »
They probably couldn't give away too many rights to the franchise without hurting their own rights to Zero, who they seem to care more about.

Didn't Inafune create Zero? And how does Capcom care more about Zero than Mega Man? Yes they gave Zero his own series on the GBA, but that was over 7 years ago.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 27, 2012, 09:25:59 PM »
Because they've been including Zero in most of their crossover fighting game franchises lately. Both Tatsunoko vs Capcom and Marvel vs Capcom 3 have playable appearances from Zero, but not Mega Man.

Also the ZX games were essentially just an extension of the Zero series.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline tendoboy1984

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 27, 2012, 09:40:38 PM »
Because they've been including Zero in most of their crossover fighting game franchises lately. Both Tatsunoko vs Capcom and Marvel vs Capcom 3 have playable appearances from Zero, but not Mega Man.

Also the ZX games were essentially just an extension of the Zero series.

I was talking about when Capcom made Mega Man Zero for the GBA, but that was the only time they gave Zero his own starring role.

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #209 on: May 28, 2012, 02:25:58 AM »
And Dasmos was talking about today when Capcom uses Zero to represent the franchise more than Mega Man himself in cross over games.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: May 28, 2012, 11:54:36 AM »
Capcom is the next SEGA. Mark my words. They ran out all of the talent (Mikami and Inafune), then proceed to abandon their lucrative franchises, which include millions of loyal fans. Then they proceed to run the franchises that are still running into the ground and flip the bird to their customers with their DLC debacle. The only game that I am looking forward to from Capcom is Reident Evil 6, and the wya things are currently looking that game might be the death knell to the franchise. Oh wait, they already did that with Resident Evil 5.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 28, 2012, 12:21:10 PM »
All the biggest forthcoming titles from Capcom look pretty promising. RE6 looks better than RE5, but I guess we'll have to wait and see. DmC looks good too, I'm really digging the style and as long as they don't fiddle with the gameplay too much I'm sure it'll be a fine game. Not to mention Lost Planet 3 actually looks not boring compared to the first two, so yeah not really sure where you're coming from, bro.
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 28, 2012, 03:18:13 PM »
All the biggest forthcoming titles from Capcom look pretty promising. RE6 looks better than RE5, but I guess we'll have to wait and see. DmC looks good too, I'm really digging the style and as long as they don't fiddle with the gameplay too much I'm sure it'll be a fine game. Not to mention Lost Planet 3 actually looks not boring compared to the first two, so yeah not really sure where you're coming from, bro.

I just had some inner anger to vent onto this forum.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 10, 2012, 01:55:00 AM »
I said this on one of the live streams, but I may as well post this here as well: in the same way Game & Watch was the out of nowhere crazy character in Melee, and ROB was in Brawl, the Wii U crazy character just has to be Non-Specific Action Figure.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline nickmitch

• View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #214 on: June 10, 2012, 02:26:38 AM »
I think Sakurai would love to something like that. Nintendo should really base a game around it to establish him as a franchise.

Online NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 10, 2012, 02:31:26 AM »
Maybe that's the eShop game Miyamoto's making.

EDIT: It would be worth it just to hear the announcer voice shout "NON SPECIFIC ACTION FIGURE" when you pick him on the character select screen. And yes, the beautiful thing is that with this being Sakurai, there's a real possibility he'll actually do it.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 02:39:09 AM by NWR_insanolord »
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 10, 2012, 11:52:50 AM »
From Sakurai's Twitter.

Sakurai is starting up his brand new move sets! The one below looks like Dixie Kong to me. He say's they will be needed soon, chances are he is using them now.

Does anyone remember when I made this post above? Of course not it was almost 2 years ago. But I posted two pictures here from Sakurai's twitter, one of which has mysteriously disappeared. It was of a little action figure crouched on its knees. It was very monkey like and I bet a hint at a new comer. There is absolutely no way to get this picture back now that it's off Sakurai's twitter right?

There's no super secret forum vault where all things go just for such an occasion?

« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 10:49:52 PM by Caterkiller »

RomanceDawn

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 02, 2012, 07:00:25 PM »
I was just reminded that Fire Emblem has a very extensive female character cast list. Why not add some of them to the next Smash Bros. instead of making it such a boy's club?
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #218 on: July 02, 2012, 07:24:08 PM »
I was just reminded that Fire Emblem has a very extensive female character cast list. Why not add some of them to the next Smash Bros. instead of making it such a boy's club?
I'd be ok with Lyn or Marisa joining the cast. Mostly Marisa, though. ;)
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
Smash Bros Teaser Site?
« Reply #219 on: July 02, 2012, 09:59:15 PM »
Been out of town and just not sure if this came up at NWR. But could this be the teaser site for the latest Smash Bros?

http://www.bandaigames.channel.or.jp/list/newtitle/

Bunch of random pictures that could have something to do with Smash if you try to use Adam West logic. Looks like nothing to me except for something resembling Brawls opening scene with the cliff and the water over looking the sun. Still All Star Battle being done by Namco Bandai has me thinking.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 10:13:44 PM by Caterkiller »

RomanceDawn

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 03, 2012, 09:52:55 AM »
Ready your faces and palms...

Super Smash Bros. is Done With New Characters

Please read the article first. That's a pretty sensationalist headline. Several sites are reporting the same thing.
Series creator Masahiro Sakurai is cautious about continuing to expand the already massive list of characters. "It isn't a matter of 'if the next game has 50 characters, that'll be enough,'" Sakurai said in an interview with Nintendo Power. "There is a certain charm to games that have huge casts of playable characters, but they tend to have issues with game balance and it becomes very difficult to fine-tune each character and have them all feel distinctive."

"In terms of quantity, we've probably already reached the limit of what's feasible. I think a change of direction may be what's needed."
I highly doubt he means "no new characters" or "fewer characters." Sounds more like he's talking more about changing up the gameplay which, unless I'm mistaken, is pretty consistent with what he's been saying all along. I could see him cutting the "clones" and merging them into one character because people keep complaining about that so the total number of new characters is the roughly the same even if they introduce completely new characters. For example, even though Fox, Falco and Wolf play differently, they get merged into 1 character and become costumes.

I just find it hard to believe that there wouldn't be any new characters when Nintendo is known for their rich history of unique characters. Sakurai talks about large casts and balance, but look at who they have working on the game. Tekken 6 had 43 chracters. Tekken Tag Tournament 2 apparently had over 50. From what I've read, the Tekken series is regarded as one of the most balanced fighting series. I'm not saying this means we should expect like 30 new characters, all balanced. Rather, we should not expect extremes. When putting what we know in context, expect the middle ground. It's silly to think there won't be any new characters. Sakurai just keeps driving home the idea that the focus of these new Smash Bros. games is placed on refining and evolving the gameplay and not simply on how many things can be stuffed into the game. I like that approach. I just find these "news" stories with their ridiculous headlines to be dubious at best.

Offline Caterkiller

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 03, 2012, 10:14:23 AM »
I've seen that headline everywhere and face palm because of it and not the quote from NP. I fully expect at least 6-10 new characters.

RomanceDawn

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 03, 2012, 10:35:10 AM »
Yeah, I was specifically talking about the headlines and how these sites are interpreting the Nintendo Power quotes because I feel like the quotes themselves are pretty straightforward.

10-15 new characters is a pretty safe bet, closer to 10 if they're all completely unique. Balancing the characters opens up half the roster to me since I might actually want to play as Bowser or King Dedede for more than a lark.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #223 on: July 03, 2012, 10:51:59 AM »
Yeah, I was specifically talking about the headlines and how these sites are interpreting the Nintendo Power quotes because I feel like the quotes themselves are pretty straightforward.

10-15 new characters is a pretty safe bet, closer to 10 if they're all completely unique. Balancing the characters opens up half the roster to me since I might actually want to play as Bowser or King Dedede for more than a lark.
You should see Bowser in Project M. He's rad. Completely not borked now. I really hope it's how he plays come Smash 4.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 03, 2012, 11:02:23 AM »
Yeah for some reason a lot of people don't seem to understand Sakurai's statements of he's not just going to increase the roster size and that's it as meaning he's not going to add any new characters.  For marketing purposes alone they'll need to add new characters just to get people's attention.

For my predications, going by the latest Smash Bros I'm guessing at least 10 new selectable characters.  Melee had a character select screen of 25, Brawl had a select screen of 35.  Just going by that I'm expecting the next Smash Bros to have a select screen of 45 characters, and if all the transformation characters from Brawl stay, that be at least 49 total characters which is pretty close to 50.

Of course with Nintendo actually using DLC for NSMB now for adding new levels, I wouldn't be surprised if they end up using DLC with the next Smash Bros as well.  I could see DLC being used for bringing back some of the cut characters and for making some of the more niche characters playable as well.  Since it'll be the more hardcore fans that buy DLC, I could see them using it to make some of the more popular niche characters that normally wouldn't be playable because they weren't popular enough.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 11:08:54 AM by Luigi Dude »
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai