Author Topic: Episode 243: Talk Talk Talkpy  (Read 21164 times)

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 243: Talk Talk Talkpy
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2011, 12:21:28 PM »
I haven't read a single post in this talkback.

Did i mention I run the forums? I run the forums.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2011, 12:53:01 PM »

You also like to Steal Bandwidth and have declare yourself as our King on RFN.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2011, 12:55:05 PM »

To be fair, I set my icon to I like to Steal Bandwidth on my own. And I'm not a king. Kings do not have the power to make and unmake the world as I do.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2011, 12:57:07 PM »

To be fair, I set my icon to I like to Steal Bandwidth on my own. And I'm not a king. Kings do not have the power to make and unmake the world as I do.
So your Kratos Play thing?  I knew they need more for God of War 4 ...
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• Embrace the status quo.
  • Score: 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2011, 01:27:43 PM »
adadad-

It's safe to say you are significantly missing my points.

I'll try to lay it all out as simply as possible...

I have no problem with criticizing the Wii or Nintendo (did I not repeatedly say it's online was overall inferior?).  I have a problem with people doing so in a manner that they would not apply to Sony, Microsoft, or their products.

I'm a big fan of gaming.  For the last two generations I was a PS1+2 guy.  In undergrad, I certainly played enough (local) multiplayer Halo to last a life time.  But, this generation I happen to (greatly) prefer what Nintendo is doing.

Yet, as I live and breathe, Nintendo has just been getting bashed from all sides this gen.  Some defend this bashing as an expression of opinion.  But here's the problem ...

An opinion: "Based on what I've seen, I hate Nintendo, what it's doing, and its products.  But I realize your opinions may differ and I respect that."
Something else entirely: "Even though I don't pay attention to what they do, I hate Nintendo, what it's doing, and its products.  And I consider you less of a gamer, less than my equal,  if you like them."

Too many people fall into that second category this generation.

I feel the root of the problem is that gamers have been wrongfully trained to think quality of gaming is based solely, or even primarily, on system specifications.  Can it help? Absolutely!  Does it make Tetris any less awesome of a game? Not even close.

Also, if a few million soccer moms and iddy bitty kiddies play Carnival Games on the Wii, it does not make No More Heroes any less enjoyable.  Millions of soccer moms and iddy biddy kiddies listen to iPods, <sarcasm> uh oh! I guess all your music sucks now! </sarcasm>

We good now? 

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2011, 02:03:27 PM »
Millions of soccer moms and iddy biddy kiddies listen to iPods, <sarcasm> uh oh! I guess all your music sucks now! </sarcasm>
Please, We didn't need iPods for that.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2011, 07:30:31 PM »
Seriously adadad, I've taken college courses in which I read less than that post.

Yeah. Sorry about that. I was very tired when I wrote it which is why it's so rambling. I take it you don't study English Literature then  :P:

Actually, I did take a Western Lit class in which I probably read less than that, and still managed to get an A. I lucked into the easiest English professor at the college for that, though. I actually got to write my term paper about video games, because it had to be related to one of the books we were (supposed to be) reading and that was around the time the Dante's Inferno game came out.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline happyastoria

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2011, 10:04:49 PM »
Interesting discussion. My stance: both NinSage and adadad have valid points. People bash on Nintendo for no reason whatsoever. Yeah, their online sucks, but you do have to admit - haters are bashing more than just that.

"I can say more with simple words, and one page, than a book entire"

- Franz Kafka
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 10:08:22 PM by happyastoria »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2011, 11:43:13 PM »
There are plenty of valid reasons to criticize what Nintendo's done this generation, but there are also people who go beyond those into stupidity. But that's just the console war. The same thing goes on between PS3 and 360 owners, and I've seen plenty of people on these forums take shots at the other consoles that are no more valid than a lot of what those people say about Nintendo. To borrow a phrase from the greatest television show ever made, it's all part of the game.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2011, 12:41:44 AM »
happyastoria & NWR_insanolord -

You're right.  There is plenty to criticize about Nintendo - just like all the companies.  Also, the console wars are not new and any war will have casualties on all sides.

However, since you guys are apparently content with the status quo, answer me this:  Why is it only this generation that the bigger gaming media outlets almost completely ignore Nintendo? Or worse, can't write/talk about Nintendo without snide remarks?

I used to LOVE watching G4, but I can't do it any more because they can't cover the games I like without insulting them.

I used to love listening to Geoff Keighley on GameTrailers but I don't think he's brought up Nintendo once in the last 18 months without immediately inquiring about the Vitality Sensor with a smirk on his face.

I even used to think Michael Pachter was smart until he started his annual "Wii is doomed" predictions.  Don't worry, now I recognize that Pachter is stupid in regard to all consoles.  But I believe Nintendo is still his forté.

I don't care if people want to share their negative opinions or criticize all day long (not my thing, but feel free!) but I can't stand the reality of the situation that Nintendo is currently not allowed to receive credit for the things it does right (didn't like a million "hardcore" Wii games come out last year?!), yet Sony/MS only really get flak when one of them lets millions of pieces of personal data get hijacked.  What a wonderful double standard, eh?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 12:59:16 AM by NinSage »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2011, 12:56:06 AM »
I wouldn't say that I'm content with it as much as I'm resigned to it. I don't like it, but there's nothing I can do to change it on any real scale, so I don't waste my time complaining about it.

Also, the whole "religious war" aspect of it has been around as long as I can remember, going all the way back to the SNES and Genesis. Not everybody feels that way now, nor did they then, but the rise of the internet has fanned the flames a bit and brought it more to the forefront.

As for the state of the gaming media, yeah, that's bad. A lot of those people should be ashamed that a site like ours that caters only to and is run by Nintendo fans is more objective and unbiased about that kind of thing than the people who do it for a living. G4 has always sucked, though. Sessler's good, but I don't think anyone else on that network deserves the exposure they have.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2011, 01:07:56 AM »
happyastoria & NWR_insanolord -

You're right.  There is plenty to criticize about Nintendo - just like all the companies.  Also, the console wars are not new and any war will have casualties on all sides.

However, since you guys are apparently content with the status quo, answer me this:  Why is it only this generation that the bigger gaming media outlets almost completely ignore Nintendo? Or worse, can't write/talk about Nintendo without snide remarks?

I used to LOVE watching G4, but I can't do it any more because they can't cover the games I like without insulting them.

I used to love listening to Geoff Keighley on GameTrailers but I don't think he's brought up Nintendo once in the last 18 months without immediately inquiring about the Vitality Sensor with a smirk on his face.

I even used to think Michael Pachter was smart until he started his annual "Wii is doomed" predictions.  Don't worry, now I recognize that Pachter is stupid in regard to all consoles.  But I believe Nintendo is still his forté.

I don't care if people want to share their negative opinions or criticize all day long (not my thing, but feel free!) but I can't stand the reality of the situation that Nintendo is currently not allowed to receive credit for the things it does right (didn't like a million "hardcore" Wii games come out last year?!), yet Sony/MS only really get flak when one of them lets millions of pieces of personal data get hijacked.  What a wonderful double standard, eh?

I have to say those doublestandards are a weird part of life.  I mean take politics.  One of the bigger affector of our everday life but is very Taboo to talk about with the people whose opinions you trust.  Religion same way.

The funny part is that Gaming is very much similar to a religion.  Everyone has their own set of beliefs that they are willing to defend with their own doctrine. With the major sects are denominations etc. The parallels run deep.  Mostly because as Gamers we must have Faith.  Same with Scientist.  We have Faith that the games we want will come out.  Be that the Next Super Metroid or Punchout or Whatever your into.  It is hard for people to accept things don't move and organize to their plans.

Everyone is entitled to their Gaming Beliefs and I personally enjoy hearing about those.  Just don't expect me to conform to them.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2011, 01:17:36 AM »
Since gaming is so much like religion, from this point forward discussion of gaming on the forums is strictly prohibited.

J.P. Corbran

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2011, 01:40:16 AM »
The thing is, I don't think the gaming media is ignoring the Wii because they "hate" Nintendo.  Whenever a new Mario Galaxy or whatnot releases, they usually trip over themselves to gush over it (even if the game doesn't really deserve it, which IMO was the case with quite a few Nintendo-developed titles this generation).  The reason the media tends to ignore the Wii and its games is because the library quite frankly sucks, and it sucks by an overwhelming margin compared to the libraries of the other two home consoles.  The media gets tired of covering mediocre or terrible games on the Wii, so they tend to overlook the genuinely good non-Nintendo titles like Fluidity or whatnot unless there's something truly noteworthy about them.  That's not an "anti-Nintendo thing".  That's an "anti-crap thing", and they'd be the same way if the libraries on the other two consoles were as bad.

The same goes for the online capabilities of the other consoles.  The media constantly harps on Nintendo for its bare-bones, frustrating-to-work-around online system because it is so antiquated and counter-intuitive.  The online capabilities of the other two consoles (the recent PSN episode aside) just work, they're easy to use, and it isn't too difficult to find people online to play and/or chat with.

Nintendo developed the Wii to be antiquated from Day 1, and the technical deficiencies of the console have harmed everything about the console except for console and 1st party sales.  Hell, just imagine if Nintendo hadn't decided to launch MotionPlus several years into the system's life-cycle but just made it part of the standard controller from launch.  Just imagine how much better the quality of motion control on the system could have been.  Instead, we get waggle for several years and when MotionPlus finally launches, there's few reasons to support it (especially since Nintendo's big showcase for the device in "serious games" still hasn't released in Skyward Sword, a game whose fate right now is uncertain with Nintendo announcing another console at E3).  So yeah, that's been the story about the console since Day 1: missed opportunities and financial shortcuts, and Nintendo is the one responsible for that.  They've been reamed for it and they'll continue to be reamed for it, and they deserve it every single time.  Maybe after being battered enough over these issues, Nintendo will finally learn from their mistakes with their next generation of hardware.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 02:43:25 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Chocobo_Rider

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2011, 03:03:39 AM »
BroodWars - In a word: no.

Insanolord - Good, I didn't think any sane person would be content with it.  But we CAN change it.  I don't mean to sound like an after school special here but all we have to do is not put up with it.  Speak up when sites like Kotaku and entities like G4 don't do their jobs. 

I got banned from Kotaku 3 times before I stopped signing up again.

Did I swear once? No. Did I call the author names? No.

Did I ask why an article about a toddler wearing wiimote sleeves on her feet was newsworthy? Yes.

Did I call Brian Ashcraft out about printing false rumors regarding the DS' successor? Yes.

Did I forget what the third thing was? Yes.

Did I make a difference? Well, no.  But that's because there was only a handful of folks like myself willing to speak up.  Imagine if everyone who acknowledged the double standards said something?!  They would change.  They would have to because they want to stay in business and for that they need an audience, not just sales of a product.

But, sadly, it's much easier for most people to just ignore it.... read the posts, glean the pertinent information, and let the inequality fester.

In many ways I know it's "wrong" of me to care as much as I do about getting gaming culture back to the blissful days of "Genesis sucks!" "SNES sucks!" "... wanna play Sonic 2?" "Yea, then you can come over for Castlevania IV."

I should just play the games I love and be happy, right?

Well, that's my flaw, cuz I know we can do better - we just have to ask for demand it!

PS - I feel the same way about modern journalism in general.  But I figure I'll start with gaming journalism and work my way up.  =P

Offline happyastoria

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2011, 03:18:43 AM »
@ NinSage

You should go to Destructoid. They love Nintendo there, I should know; I'm heavily involved with the community there. If someone disagrees with you there, you actually get an intelligent response, not some troll comment.

I'm happy with Nintendo, but that's 'cause I'm not much of a gamer. I play games, but not as much as I use too. I sometimes struggle to even finish a game, but I still like gaming.

I don't care for online and don't play much games, so, for me, Nintendo is doing pretty great.  ;)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2011, 03:32:38 AM »
The thing is, I don't think the gaming media is ignoring the Wii because they "hate" Nintendo.  Whenever a new Mario Galaxy or whatnot releases, they usually trip over themselves to gush over it (even if the game doesn't really deserve it, which IMO was the case with quite a few Nintendo-developed titles this generation).  The reason the media tends to ignore the Wii and its games is because the library quite frankly sucks, and it sucks by an overwhelming margin compared to the libraries of the other two home consoles.  The media gets tired of covering mediocre or terrible games on the Wii, so they tend to overlook the genuinely good non-Nintendo titles like Fluidity or whatnot unless there's something truly noteworthy about them.  That's not an "anti-Nintendo thing".  That's an "anti-crap thing", and they'd be the same way if the libraries on the other two consoles were as bad.

The same goes for the online capabilities of the other consoles.  The media constantly harps on Nintendo for its bare-bones, frustrating-to-work-around online system because it is so antiquated and counter-intuitive.  The online capabilities of the other two consoles (the recent PSN episode aside) just work, they're easy to use, and it isn't too difficult to find people online to play and/or chat with.

Nintendo developed the Wii to be antiquated from Day 1, and the technical deficiencies of the console have harmed everything about the console except for console and 1st party sales.  Hell, just imagine if Nintendo hadn't decided to launch MotionPlus several years into the system's life-cycle but just made it part of the standard controller from launch.  Just imagine how much better the quality of motion control on the system could have been.  Instead, we get waggle for several years and when MotionPlus finally launches, there's few reasons to support it (especially since Nintendo's big showcase for the device in "serious games" still hasn't released in Skyward Sword, a game whose fate right now is uncertain with Nintendo announcing another console at E3).  So yeah, that's been the story about the console since Day 1: missed opportunities and financial shortcuts, and Nintendo is the one responsible for that.  They've been reamed for it and they'll continue to be reamed for it, and they deserve it every single time.  Maybe after being battered enough over these issues, Nintendo will finally learn from their mistakes with their next generation of hardware.

As I've said, there are plenty of good reasons to criticize Nintendo's handling of the Wii. But a lot of sites go above and beyond those. I'm upset by that mostly because of how unprofessional it is. If they hate Nintendo (or, more likely, hate how they feel Nintendo has changed), that's their right, but it cheapens the idea of game journalism when they let those feelings spill out into their work. If game journalists ever want to be taken seriously they need to move beyond this bullshit.

J.P. Corbran

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2011, 03:39:01 AM »
As I've said, there are plenty of good reasons to criticize Nintendo's handling of the Wii. But a lot of sites go above and beyond those. I'm upset by that mostly because of how unprofessional it is. If they hate Nintendo (or, more likely, hate how they feel Nintendo has changed), that's their right, but it cheapens the idea of game journalism when they let those feelings spill out into their work. If game journalists ever want to be taken seriously they need to move beyond this bullshit.

Out of curiosity, can you cite examples (links if possible) of places where you've seen such "unprofessional" criticism of the Wii and/or Nintendo?  I only visit the bigger sites like 1up, Destructoid, IGN, Gametrailers, etc. so perhaps I've just missed it, but generally when I see sites like those criticize Nintendo they state very valid reasons.  And in the end, it doesn't usually come down to "hating" Nintendo or whatnot, but just being very disappointed (as I am) in the Wii and Nintendo this generation that then leads to apathy (something I can sympathize with. As a gamer, you want to write about things that interest you).

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2011, 08:53:30 AM »
As an example of what insanolord is getting at, look at the recent piece we posted "Nine Things Nintendo Needs For Wii 2." Aaron is a good friend, but from editing that, I got the sense that he really didn't pay attention to anything that came out on Wii outside of a few titles. Is that his fault? No, not really. WiiWare's poorly marketed, as are the other games. There is also a lot of **** surrounding them.

I do blame, to an extent, paid games media for failing to be aware of one-third of the games industry. There are very good games on Wii and WiiWare. We cover most of them. It almost seems like very few other sites do. That might be dictated by readers, hits, and ads, but even still, if you claim to be anywhere near an expert in the field, you need to keep up on all trends. I might, at the end of the day, generally prefer my Wii to my 360/PS3, but I make a point to keep up with games and trends on those systems; even if I know I don't really care about the next big first-person shooters, I still want to know what the deal is.

Then again, my favorite game for this entire generation has been House EDIT: of the Dead: Overkill.

EDIT: I thought this post got lost in the internet ether, but apparently it got posted. There was something else I was going to say in the final sentence, but I forget. Something like "my favorite game this gen is a silly rail shooter, so maybe my viewpoint is totally screwed up."
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 06:26:46 PM by NWR_Neal »
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2011, 09:04:58 AM »
As an example of what insanolord is getting at, look at the recent piece we posted "Nine Things Nintendo Needs For Wii 2." Aaron is a good friend, but from editing that, I got the sense that he really didn't pay attention to anything that came out on Wii outside of a few titles. Is that his fault? No, not really. WiiWare's poorly marketed, as are the other games. There is also a lot of **** surrounding them.

I do blame, to an extent, paid games media for failing to be aware of one-third of the games industry. There are very good games on Wii and WiiWare. We cover most of them. It almost seems like very few other sites do. That might be dictated by readers, hits, and ads, but even still, if you claim to be anywhere near an expert in the field, you need to keep up on all trends. I might, at the end of the day, generally prefer my Wii to my 360/PS3, but I make a point to keep up with games and trends on those systems; even if I know I don't really care about the next big first-person shooters, I still want to know what the deal is.

Then again, my favorite game for this entire generation has been House
What really gets me is when I pop over to say IGN to look in every once in a while their is always a "Top This" List but Where's the reviews, previews, etc.  I know stuff is going on.  We all like to speculate but, what about whats already coming that I might not see?  Does anyone else think its Ironic at times that Newscast and RFN give me more information about games in general then I normally gleam from looking around?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2011, 11:33:48 AM »
What really gets me is when I pop over to say IGN to look in every once in a while their is always a "Top This" List but Where's the reviews, previews, etc.  I know stuff is going on.  We all like to speculate but, what about whats already coming that I might not see?  Does anyone else think its Ironic at times that Newscast and RFN give me more information about games in general then I normally gleam from looking around?

No, it's not ironic at all.  In fact, I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case.  As Neal alluded to, sites like IGN are a business.  They exist to make money from ad revenue generated by hits to pages featuring content that interests the site's readership.  If there are no hits, there's no ad revenue and people get laid off, as we've seen on sites like 1up.  IGN's readership is likely extremely core-centric, and there are no games currently in Nintendo's North American upcoming Wii games list that are core-centric outside of really Zelda Skyward Sword and the odd game here and there.  The Wii's casual audience almost by definition doesn't visit sites like IGN and whatnot, so there's no point in covering Wii Shovelware in articles that cost money to fund and don't generate hits.  We already know from Radio Free Nintendo that Nintendo and 3rd parties don't tend to provide review copies of WiiWare and Virtual Console titles, so if a site wants to cover a particular game the site or reviewer must shell out the cash for it themselves.  So what is there to talk about on Wii right now that the IGN readership will click on and read to generate the ad revenue that pays for the site?  That's right: "Top X" lists and editorials either speculating about the next Nintendo console or criticizing things Nintendo has done this generation that has lead to there being nothing alternative to talk about on the IGN Wii Channel.  Hell, I'll bet if we didn't have the 3DS right now, we wouldn't still have an IGN Nintendo podcast because there's simply nothing to talk about that the IGN readership cares about.

Sites like Nintendo World Report have things a little easier since, given that they do not pay their writers, they only have to generate enough ad revenue to pay for the site's server bills and the odd expenditure every now and then.  Being enthusiast sites, the writers tend to be more interested in content on the Wii than on most sites, and are thus more likely to shell out their own money to pick up assorted WiiWare and Virtual Console titles for review that would have otherwise flown under the radar.  Also due to being a Nintendo-centric enthusiast site, the readership tends to be more interested in such stories (it's not like there's much else to talk about) so they generate more hits than they would otherwise, funding the site and removing as much of a need for "controversial" articles like "Top X" lists.  There's even enough concentrated Nintendo interest here to generate hits (even ironic ones) to support reviewing casual shovelware from time to time.  The downside, of course, is that sites like NWR don't generate enough revenue to pay their writers, and we've seen the site lose writers in the past due to this (hey, we're all trying to make a living).

People who work for paid sites aren't going to be familiar with the odd obscure good game on the Wii and WiiWare because many times their sites have no reason to cover them.  They don't generate hits, and there's such a deserved negative stigma around them that most writers probably don't feel the need to spend their own money on them unless there's strong Word-of-Mouth appeal to them (as was the case with Fluidity).  By contrast, games like an L.A. Noire or Portal 2 generate huge numbers of hits, appeal strongly to core-centric gamers and writers, and are widely regarded to be high-quality, so they are more widely known.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 11:36:12 AM by broodwars »

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2011, 11:50:04 AM »
At the end of the day, what matters to me most is for the kinds of games that I enjoy to continue to be made, and Nintendo still does that. People like to take pot shots at the Wii's software library - yeah, there's a whole load of crap not worth discussing, but there's still many games on the upper end that are absolutely worth playing. If I were to make a list of exclusives that I would recommend people play on Wii, then do the same for the other systems, I reckon the lists would be about even in length. That's me personally; depending on tastes, others might lean further towards one or the other.

Anyway, I think this lends itself to the argument that, in this generation, especially if you're interested in a broad spectrum of different games, there's no one console that will satisfy 100%. That's why I divide my gaming between Wii, DS and PC. I can pick up a lot of the great PS3 and 360 titles on the PC, and fulfil my cravings for online play if I have them, but I'm still able to enjoy all the excellent Nintendo content (and the occasional third party diamond in the rough) on my console and handheld.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2011, 12:56:37 PM »
:words:
Why would anyone want a site that just does Top X list?  I can't even fathom how that garnishes a readership that grows.

But in general the point is that a Nintendo Centric Sites Podcast tends to introduce me to more products on Other Systems then the multi-platform  sites.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2011, 01:07:22 PM »
:words:
Why would anyone want a site that just does Top X list?  I can't even fathom how that garnishes a readership that grows.

But in general the point is that a Nintendo Centric Sites Podcast tends to introduce me to more products on Other Systems then the multi-platform  sites.

Maybe it's moreso a reflection of Nintendo's inability to contain lifelong user's interest than a bashfest/ignorathon of Nintendo's games.  Anecdotally, the only Wii games that have given me that "OMG THIS IS INCREDIBLE NINTENDO SIXTY-FOOOOUURRR!!!" moments are Wii Sports/Resort, Super Mario Galaxy (2nd one was great too, but it was a novel experience the first time around), and Kirby's Epic Yarn.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2011, 02:26:17 PM »

Of course, I can turn that around and say that that's an indictment of how bad the experience is on the Wii when even a Nintendo-centric podcast has to turn to the other consoles to find games they want to talk about most weeks.