Author Topic: Fighting Games: JOIN THA WULFPACK  (Read 240910 times)

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Research shows violent video games help fight cancer. FIGHTING GAMES 2K13!
« Reply #700 on: February 22, 2013, 09:36:12 PM »
Worse balance? LOL. And the random slips were really rare (and had little impact on matches).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• My Butt is Ready :reggie;
  • Score: -63
    • View Profile
    • oh my god
Re: Bi-weekly Smash Bros. Flame Wars Thread (Also Fighting Games Discussion)
« Reply #701 on: February 22, 2013, 10:35:14 PM »
Worse balance? LOL. And the random slips were really rare (and had little impact on matches).

You haven't really offered anything more substantial than "lol" and "no" so maybe you should pack it up before I post that youtube again.

MEANWHILE~

Did I mention that the plan for Big Band, Detective Sax himself, is to make him "like Q, but good?" Q is incredibly fun to play as, and also unfortunately almost the worst character in 3S.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: February 22, 2013, 11:34:23 PM »
I'd hate for S-U-P-E-R to make a video about me, but I also like Brawl better than Melee. plsdunkillme

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #703 on: February 22, 2013, 11:38:17 PM »
It's totally cool if you like it better as long as you don't make up stuff about it <3

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #704 on: February 22, 2013, 11:40:23 PM »
Says the person saying Melee has better balance. :P
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #705 on: February 22, 2013, 11:54:32 PM »
There's a larger number of characters that succeed in Melee tournaments. I don't know what else to tell you v(ツ)v

edit: I almost forgot: *** TF2 hats confirmed bonus for Skullgirls PC ***
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 12:36:37 AM by S-U-P-E-R »

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: February 23, 2013, 03:06:02 AM »
Yeah, I certainly hope that the Smash Wii U devs are paying attention to this!

Oh yes, I'm sure Sakurai is going to base all his decisions on the fact that a small group of people who make up less then 1% of the overall Smash Bros fanbase like Melee more then Brawl.  And yes it is less then 1% of the overall fanbase.

Smash Bros Brawl - 11 million copies

1% of 11 million = 110,000 people

So if 1% of the Smash Bros audience payed a dollar, they would have raised $110,000.  Considering the Melee fans didn't raise that much, it shows less then 1% of the overall audience gives a **** about tournament fighting.  When you take into account that the majority of people giving money to Melee were spending way more then $1, that shows even less of the already less then 1% of the Smash Bros audience cares about tournaments.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: February 23, 2013, 03:15:51 AM »
Let me say that if I had to choose which Smash Bros. to play with a group of friends, it would definitely be Brawl, but at the same time SUPER is right in almost every point he makes about the game.

If you can't see that Brawl is poorly balanced I'm not sure we're playing the same game. The tripping, however infrequent, adds nothing to the game besides randomness for the sake of randomness, and should at least have the option of being turned off. Final smashes are a cool idea, but are ridiculously, and I mean ridiculously, unbalanced.

I think Sakurai's got great ideas, but doesn't always execute them well. I think working with the Tekken team for this next game is going to do wonders for its competitive balance, while still retaining the creativity and fun Sakurai brings to the table.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #708 on: February 23, 2013, 04:34:42 AM »
Oh yes, I'm sure Sakurai is going to base all his decisions on the fact that a small group of people who make up less then 1% of the overall Smash Bros fanbase like Melee more then Brawl.  And yes it is less then 1% of the overall fanbase.

Smash Bros Brawl - 11 million copies

1% of 11 million = 110,000 people

So if 1% of the Smash Bros audience payed a dollar, they would have raised $110,000.  Considering the Melee fans didn't raise that much, it shows less then 1% of the overall audience gives a **** about tournament fighting.  When you take into account that the majority of people giving money to Melee were spending way more then $1, that shows even less of the already less then 1% of the Smash Bros audience cares about tournaments.

I'm not sure what kind of point you're trying to make here. You think it's a good idea to ignore feedback from the fans, especially the ones that understand the game best? That tournament guys are literally the only people that care about good design? You just want to type "1%" as much as possible?

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: February 23, 2013, 06:00:48 AM »
If you can't see that Brawl is poorly balanced I'm not sure we're playing the same game.

And yet it's still better balanced then Melee in basic play.  For basic play in Melee, the fast characters like Fox, Marth and Sheik, completely dominate everyone else.  The only way slower characters stand a chance is by taking advantage of Wave Dashing and L-Canceling which the average person knows nothing about.  Brawl on the other hand at least as a much better variety of characters that are equal on basic level play.

This is why Melee might be more balanced for the tournament players because characters have more glitches to take advantage of, but Brawl is easily the more balanced game for everyone else.

I'm not sure what kind of point you're trying to make here. You think it's a good idea to ignore feedback from the fans, especially the ones that understand the game best? That tournament guys are literally the only people that care about good design? You just want to type "1%" as much as possible?

Only the tournament players don't understand the game the best.  Tournament players play Smash Bros in a way the average Smash fan doesn't, and yet they act like the next game should be tailored to their every need.  Yes you guys have the right to your opinions of the series, but you have to realize you're in a minority of the overall massive audience Smash Bros appeals to.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: February 23, 2013, 06:09:20 AM »
The thing is, it's not like they have to choose between making a game the tournament players would love or one regular people like. It's possible to make a game that's (relatively) balanced at all skill levels. The fact that the new game is being made by a team with a lot of experience making fighting games would seem to indicate that we might actually see that, while Sakurai and his guys are still there to make sure it stays true to the series.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #711 on: February 23, 2013, 06:38:43 AM »
Yesssss! The game should be tailored to the every need of pros because it takes exactly zero away from beginners and average players. In fact, it gives them a reason to explore the game more and become better, which are what fighting games are about <3

Only the tournament players don't understand the game the best.  Tournament players play Smash Bros in a way the average Smash fan doesn't, and yet they act like the next game should be tailored to their every need.  Yes you guys have the right to your opinions of the series, but you have to realize you're in a minority of the overall massive audience Smash Bros appeals to.
Pro players also play wet and sloppy item matches with their friends at home. I like to set all bob-ombs sometimes. But, I'm sure you understand why people don't really want to do that when money's on the line.

If anybody needs a strawman argument though, let's just say I am fully in support of an armed gestapo bursting into the homes of casual players and summarily executing anybody who is not playing by tournament regulation rules.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #712 on: February 23, 2013, 09:47:28 AM »
See that a bunch of people who don't like change keep whining. In every important way, Brawl is a better game than Melee. I don't want the developers to listen to delusional people who don't like things being improved.
EFF THE PO-LEESE.

Project M is the better game. ;)
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #713 on: February 23, 2013, 12:26:55 PM »
>"people who don't like change keep whining"
>they literally make homebrew patches to try to improve Brawl

Stay free TJ Spyke

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: February 23, 2013, 12:34:00 PM »
So guys, how about the Aquaman in Injustice, huh? whoo!

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #715 on: February 23, 2013, 12:40:47 PM »
Epic Beard Aquaman better be an alternate outfit or DLC!

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: February 23, 2013, 12:44:13 PM »
>"people who don't like change keep whining"
>they literally make homebrew patches to try to improve Brawl

Stay free TJ Spyke

Except the goal of the patches is to make it more like Melee. They don't like change so much they are building patches to regress it and get rid of the changes.

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #717 on: February 23, 2013, 12:49:05 PM »
How do the patches make it more like Melee?

Offline Sarail

• View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #718 on: February 23, 2013, 01:00:00 PM »
Oh, my lord... that's a very open-ended question, Ty.

Here... Clicky here.

Project M (and Brawl+ - which I play a ton of, too) corrects a lot of the gameplay elements that hinder the player's performance in Brawl's original design. Yes, it gets rid of random tripping, but more importantly, both mods set out to try to fully balance the game, while retaining the faster feel of Melee's gameplay. Project M is the current mod, and it has several characters missing still (Ice Climbers, Samus, Meta Knight...), to which the modders are trying to balance. I'd love to see a fixed Meta Knight. Would be killer.

Anyway, PM and B+ are the only ways I can play Brawl now. All of my friends who play with me enjoy it, too. They're mostly just casual Smash fans anyway. But they do prefer it. PM has especially made me a huge fan of Squirtle now. I've always used Lucas as my main, but I'm seriously considering switching now. Squirts a bad arse.

So, yeah. Check it out. It's awesome!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 01:05:25 PM by Racht »
Muh Backloggery!

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #719 on: February 23, 2013, 01:03:20 PM »
edit: redacted because I want to see SixthAngel try to answer

Offline Sarail

• View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #720 on: February 23, 2013, 01:04:48 PM »
They've actually added wavedashing back in to the game. I thought that was impressive at least.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #721 on: February 23, 2013, 01:32:49 PM »
I like Brawl better too, but it's been ages since I played Melee.

I just like Lucas a whole bunch. (I also like using R.O.B. sometimes.)
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: February 23, 2013, 05:34:41 PM »
If you can't see that Brawl is poorly balanced I'm not sure we're playing the same game.

And yet it's still better balanced then Melee in basic play.  For basic play in Melee, the fast characters like Fox, Marth and Sheik, completely dominate everyone else.  The only way slower characters stand a chance is by taking advantage of Wave Dashing and L-Canceling which the average person knows nothing about.  Brawl on the other hand at least as a much better variety of characters that are equal on basic level play.

This is why Melee might be more balanced for the tournament players because characters have more glitches to take advantage of, but Brawl is easily the more balanced game for everyone else.

tournament players understand how to abuse glitches for their own gain
and then they call brawl a glitch filled mess
hypocrites...

Offline S-U-P-E-R

• View Profile
    • oh my god
« Reply #723 on: February 23, 2013, 11:14:42 PM »
citation for when anybody called Brawl a glitch-filled mess, please!

Offline pokepal148

• Inquire within for reasonable rates.
  • Score: -9967
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: February 23, 2013, 11:22:35 PM »
Not terribly hard to find in all the melee vs brawl debates