Poll

Which game should we play and discuss together on Radio Free Nintendo?

Perfect Dark (N64, XBLA)*
31 (48.4%)
Banjo-Tooie (N64, XBLA)
12 (18.8%)
Beyond Good & Evil (GC/PS2/Xbox, XBLA/PSN)**
19 (29.7%)
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (GC/PS2/Xbox, PS3)***
2 (3.1%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Voting closed: May 12, 2011, 07:58:10 PM

Author Topic: RetroActive #18 Poll - Originals & Remakes Edition  (Read 17331 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RetroActive #18 Poll - Originals & Remakes Edition
« on: April 29, 2011, 07:58:10 PM »

*Perfect Dark has now appeared in three polls, so this is its final chance for RetroActive selection.

**Beyond Good & Evil HD will be available on PSN sometime in May. We will schedule RetroActive around its release, if necessary.

***Sands of Time HD is available as part of a disc trilogy collection in North America, while the game is an individual PSN download in Europe.

All of these games are available in two distinct versions: an original release (which included a Nintendo platform) and a recent remake on a different platform. Either version is completely valid for the RetroActive discussion -- we're hoping for some interesting comparisons! And the wide variety of platforms should hopefully allow more people to participate.

Note that there are only four games in this poll. We considered some options for the fifth slot, but none seemed to fit. Clash of Heroes is too recent; Conker is too difficult to acquire on N64, and the Xbox version is no longer functional online. I almost included Animal Crossing as a franchise, but that seemed too cynical.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline TalesOfFan

• "This is no Zaku boy, no Zaku!"
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
Re: RetroActive #18 Poll - Originals & Remakes Edition
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 08:20:54 PM »
I was kind of hoping for Blaster Master and Blaster Master Overdrive, but the choices are still pretty interesting. Especially Perfect Dark, since I have been wanting to try that for awhile now.
James Dawson
Staff Writer, Nintendo World Report

Offline Jet Pilot

• Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 08:47:12 PM »
I went for Beyond Good & Evil for several reasons.

First, it just sounds like an interesting game.

Second, it's available for the most amount of platforms and therefore the most accessible.  Being available on the download services and the GameCube as well, it is affordable and playable on all 3 current generation consoles.  The more people that have access to the game the bigger the discussion and the better the RetoActive episode.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 08:55:15 PM »
Beyond Good and Evil and Prince of Persia are two games that people rave about that I've never played, so they'd be good choices. On the other hand, Perfect Dark is Perfect Dark, so that's what I voted for.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 08:59:57 PM »
You really don't want to play the PSN/PS3 disc version of Sands of Time.  It's a bit of a buggy mess, and the game has aged very poorly in that version (which I think is based on the PS2 version, the worst version of that game).  So for me that just leaves Beyond Good & Evil and Perfect Dark, games I thought were enjoyable in their own rights but still overrated (for different reasons).  Well, I really don't want to listen to yet another podcast gushing about Beyond Good & Evil, so I guess I'll go with Perfect Dark (it's its last chance, anyway).
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 11:06:56 PM »
I never played Perfect Dark but, I don't know where my N64 is and it need to be upgraded and get the cart.  Never played through Banjo-Tooie because I didn't like the store Demo.  Prince of Persia was good, I forget how far I got in it.  I think I beat it but it was a Gamefly rental.  Beyond Good and Evil Vudu let me borrow and I got mostly through it and then returned it.  I'm curious about the HD version and I do have a PS3.  If I had a 360 or my N64 and the xpac I go with Perfect Dark but, thats not the case.

You know what forget it.  I'll still vote Perfect Dark so, I can hear more about it.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 11:08:52 PM by Ceric »
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline gojira

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 11:13:35 PM »
I went with Banjo Tooie mostly because it's the only game on the list I haven't played.  I also purchased the Beyond Good and Evil & Perfect Dark HD remakes or whatever you want to call them.  And I don't think either game is all that good anymore.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 01:32:43 AM »
Have to go with Perfect Dark, if just to see if my nostalgia goggles have lied to me again.

I remember actually playing this game a lot more than Goldeneye.  Split screen with bots and making a makeshift divide for the TV made out of cardboard to prevent screen-watchers!  Look forward to the discussion either way.

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 03:03:20 AM »
I suppose I'll vote for Perfect Dark. Honestly, I found this line-up to be pretty underwhelming, and am kind of surprised that you couldn't fill that 5th spot on the poll. I'm not saying you couldn't have a good discussion about whatever wins, but... I dunno, it feels like there was more potential with this 'originals & remakes' idea. For the record, some of my suggestions might have been:

* Mega Man (NES/Wii) and Mega Man: Powered Up (PSP) -- this would be the most ripe for conversation, in my view
* Final Fantasy II (SNES) and Final Fantasy IV (DS)
* Dragon Warrior IV (NES) and Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen (DS)
* Pikmin (GCN) and New Play Control! Pikmin (Wii)

But anyway, beggars can't be choosers, so I'll shut up now.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline KeyBilly

• Donkey Kong is here!
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 11:20:32 AM »
Banjo-Tooie for me.  I was considering buying that after playing the demo a long time ago, but never did.  Maybe this will motivate me to go for it.  I had the other games originally and didn't like them a lot, though Perfect Dark was good as a tech demo.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 11:38:46 AM »
The only two of these I have reasonable access to are Prince of Persia and BG&E, which would be interesting but I'd probably tune out because another podcast I listen to recently just did it.

So I went with Sands of Time. Need an excuse to play it again.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 03:52:37 PM »
KMJ, we may revisit this theme sometime. Two of your suggestions are RPGs, which we specifically avoided because they tend to dominate voting and are hard to play through in a reasonable amount of time for the show schedule. Mega Man is a good idea, although that is by far my least favorite game in the whole series. I love Pikmin, but does the "remake" really add much? The controls were fine in the first place, and I don't think there are any other differences.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2011, 04:59:47 PM »
KMJ, we may revisit this theme sometime. Two of your suggestions are RPGs, which we specifically avoided because they tend to dominate voting and are hard to play through in a reasonable amount of time for the show schedule. Mega Man is a good idea, although that is by far my least favorite game in the whole series. I love Pikmin, but does the "remake" really add much? The controls were fine in the first place, and I don't think there are any other differences.

True, very true. I just had it in my mind that all of the nominations had already been discussed a fair bit, and at least two of them got substantial time in the Game of the Decade feature, as I recall. But you've made good reasoning and I can't really argue against it.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2011, 05:55:06 PM »

*gawks* How do you not like Powered Up? It's so...it's so good! In some ways, I like it more than Maverick Hunter X! Certainly has more replay value. And the level editor!!!
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2011, 06:18:21 PM »
Two of these I own and the other two I wouldn't mind getting because I've heard mostly positive things about them and have wanted to try them. So I don't mind much what gets picked, but I voted for Perfect Dark since I still think it's the most well-crafted shooter to date even with its technical limitations.

* Dragon Warrior IV (NES) and Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen (DS)
The NES game is kind of rare, isn't on the Wii VC, and was never released in PAL territories. Selecting it for RetroActive would encourage the use of an emulator, which I don't think is a good idea. Not bad choices though, I'd add this one too:
Metroid (NES, GCN, GBA, VC) vs Metroid Zero Mission (GBA)

I love Pikmin, but does the "remake" really add much? The controls were fine in the first place, and I don't think there are any other differences.
The Wii version also has the ability to travel back to any previous day and redo things from there, although I don't think that's a significant enough change to call it a remake.

Offline Traveller

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2011, 07:15:02 PM »
Perfect Dark was my vote. Its a great game. Yes shooters have evolved a bit since then, but what it loses in cinematic set-pieces, I think it gains much more in freedom to explore levels and is far less of a linear experience.

Anyone want to play some PD multi later on live?
Nicholas Bray - Australian Correspondent

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2011, 07:44:04 PM »
If Perfect Dark wins--and it looks like it's going to--I'll have to get in on XBLA. I've been looking for an excuse to get it.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline gojira

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2011, 08:52:31 PM »
I love Pikmin, but does the "remake" really add much? The controls were fine in the first place, and I don't think there are any other differences.

I think the pointer controls vastly improve the game.  But then again I generally dislike controlling an onscreen cursor with an analog stick.

Also it's not like Beyond Good and Evil HD added anything other than achievements.  The same goes for the campaign in the Perfect Dark remake.  So I would say Pikmin on Wii has a much more fundamental change over the original version than the games chosen. 

I'm not one for online multiplayer (with the exception of last year's Transformers game).  But if Perfect Dark did win, it would be interesting playing some games with everyone here.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2011, 12:39:27 AM »
Zach, I would definitely try Powered Up if I ever get a PSP. Everyone says good things about it. The original Mega Man, however, is really not much fun. It was innovative and provided a baseline for improvement later in the series, and that's about it.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2011, 02:23:59 AM »
Metroid (NES, GCN, GBA, VC) vs Metroid Zero Mission (GBA)

*smacks head* Duh! Why didn't I think of that? That's a great idea, and would be a good excuse for me to finally track down Zero Mission.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2011, 10:05:47 AM »
The original Mega Man, however, is really not much fun. It was innovative and provided a baseline for improvement later in the series, and that's about it.

Crazy talk, crazy talk!

Although I might just be saying this because the 1st Mega Man is the only game in the series i've been able to make substantial progress on.  Anyone have a noob friendly megaman that I could cut my teeth with and then upgrade from?  I have the mega man collection for gamecube.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2011, 12:34:22 PM »
Mega Man 2 is the easiest overall. Find an E-tank (Flash Man's stage is good for that), then use it to beat Metal Man. You'll get the Metal Blade, which wrecks everything in the game, fires in eight directions, and uses almost no weapon energy.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2011, 03:16:01 PM »
The original Mega Man may be a little rough around the edges, but it still contains the coolest weapon of the series with Guts Man's weapon. The Magnet Beam is also a neat item that's a little more clever than every other tool the series has introduced.

As for which Mega Man game is good to start with, probably not the original game. Personally I find it to be the most difficult of the series, and it's the only one of the ten which I never did beat. Mega Man 2 is fairly easy on the "Normal" setting, which is actually an easier version of the game created for its North American release. However, I believe the Mega Man Anniversary Collection has an "Easy" setting that can apply to all the games, and it kind of screws with Mega Man 2 in such a way that it isn't faithful to the original and still slightly tougher than the NES version.

For me, I'd go with Mega Man 5 or 6 as I find them a little more forgiving than the previous games. The charge shot helps a lot in reducing the difficulty, as does the slide move that the first two games lack. The robot master patterns are also more simplistic, so you don't have to deal with things like the impossible-to-dodge tornadoes that Air Man fires in Mega Man 2. Furthermore, the Wily stages in Mega Man 2 can be rather tricky if you don't know what to do, and I can see people giving up in frustration on the third stage's boss encounter after running out of the required weapon's energy.

Find an E-tank (Flash Man's stage is good for that), then use it to beat Metal Man. You'll get the Metal Blade, which wrecks everything in the game, fires in eight directions, and uses almost no weapon energy.
Metal Man's stage has two E-tanks, so there is no reason to visit another stage first.

Offline happyastoria

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2011, 09:23:05 PM »
I vote for Perfect Dark just so you guys can have a conversation about how some games don't age well.

Offline Traveller

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2011, 10:21:19 PM »
I don't think that's true, the game design is different, but is definitely still playable.
Nicholas Bray - Australian Correspondent