Author Topic: PSN = Privacy? Security? Never!  (Read 198149 times)

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
Re: PSN = Privacy? Security? Never!
« Reply #850 on: May 16, 2011, 09:56:33 AM »
The network is back down. :( I tried to login to Steam to play Portal 2 and I couldn't. I shut down the PS3 and restarted and now I get the maintenance message. That didn't last long.

It's a good thing you can just download and play it on your PC instead! ;)

Not without PSN being up, you can't.  Besides, the game is great on PS3.  Why would you ever want to play this console game on PC?   :P: ;)

It's all tied into Steam though. Owning the PS3 version grants you the right to the PC version as well. Admittedly, I don't know the logistics of it, but I'd imagine that all you have to do is log onto the Steam client on your PC and download it it... unless you have to do some stupid registering through the PS3 first.

A little off topic, but I can only imagine that they've made Portal 2 an even easier game than the first. There's no way Valve could expect people to be able to jump, dive, and move through portals in any reasonable fashion with sluggish dual-analog look and aim.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
« Reply #851 on: May 16, 2011, 10:04:10 AM »
PS3 copy comes with a Steam Key that you can just plug in on the PC/Mac.

From my experience, dual analog worked fine for Portal 2. There are almost no puzzles that require quick precision aiming, so you can typically take your time when solving the puzzles.
Check out PixlBit!

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: May 16, 2011, 10:06:15 AM »
The network is back down. :( I tried to login to Steam to play Portal 2 and I couldn't. I shut down the PS3 and restarted and now I get the maintenance message. That didn't last long.

Not without PSN being up, you can't.  Besides, the game is great on PS3.  Why would you ever want to play this console game on PC?   :P: : ;)

It's all tied into Steam though. Owning the PS3 version grants you the right to the PC version as well. Admittedly, I don't know the logistics of it, but I'd imagine that all you have to do is log onto the Steam client on your PC and download it it... unless you have to do some stupid registering through the PS3 first.

A little off topic, but I can only imagine that they've made Portal 2 an even easier game than the first. There's no way Valve could expect people to be able to jump, dive, and move through portals in any reasonable fashion with sluggish dual-analog look and aim.

Do you not realize that Portal 1 was on consoles as well?  Obviously they dumbed down the game since then.  lol.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #853 on: May 16, 2011, 10:38:50 AM »
I hate hitting the 'New' button, being taken to a post, and then I want to reply before looking to see if there are any other pages beyond what I was taken to.

I played the first Portal on the 360, and I think the movement of the analog sticks and the speed were things you got used to. There were times that I made sure I was facing a particular way so hitting a target was easier.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 10:44:58 AM by bustin98 »

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: May 16, 2011, 11:27:15 AM »
Their are some puzzles that I had to jump in the portal, see what It would look like on the other end, and adjust my aim accordingly.  They do make you shoot off to other parts when  bouncing out of portals.  I can only imagine co-op being more of that from what I've done.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #855 on: May 16, 2011, 11:37:44 AM »

Not without PSN being up, you can't.  Besides, the game is great on PS3.  Why would you ever want to play this console game on PC?   :P: : ;)

Do you not realize that Portal 1 was on consoles as well?  Obviously they dumbed down the game since then.  lol.

Portal was hardly the focus though. It was a small treat that everyone found they liked after buying the Orange Box for its larger titles.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: May 16, 2011, 12:35:52 PM »
There's no way Valve could expect people to be able to jump, dive, and move through portals in any reasonable fashion with sluggish dual-analog look and aim.

Dude, I played Portal 1 on my laptop's touchpad.  And if I could manage that, you can get through Portal 1 with a controller easily.

Anyway, back to PSN news, the blog's been updated with a new set of FAQs.  Among the questions they answer is this one that interests me:

Q: The PlayStation Store hasn’t updated since April 19th. When can I download digital games that were planned to be released since then?
 A: To date, three Tuesday publishes were missed, which included items like Under Siege and the MotorStorm Apocalypse demo. Rest assured that you won’t miss any of this great content. To catch up on the large amount of material, we’ll be publishing to the PlayStation Store multiple times per week once commerce functionality is restored.  We will update the PlayStation.Blog with information on timing of the Store restoration, as well as the full list of new content as each publish occurs.

So once the store is back online, we're going to be seeing it updated multiple times a week to catch-up with where we should be.  Nice for us, bad for developers that were banking on a little weekly spotlight.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: May 16, 2011, 01:43:22 PM »
BTW, I did get all the Steel Ingots.

That was a chore, wasn't it?
is your sanity...

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #858 on: May 16, 2011, 01:58:57 PM »

A little, yeah.  I followed a very good guide, though, that had step-by-step instructions for where to go and what to look for so it wasn't that bad.  I did have a bug, though, where I had to reload a save file because one of the ingots in a pile simply didn't spawn.  I also had the game crash a few times in the process, but surprise...surprise.  It's Fallout 3 on PS3.  It runs like **** (I'm in Point Lookout, and the game's been crashing probably 3/5 times I use VATS in a minor firefight).  No surprises there.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 02:09:10 PM by broodwars »

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: May 16, 2011, 02:07:40 PM »
I believe he's referring to the free PC copy that comes with the PS3 version, but requires a PSN login to activate.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: May 16, 2011, 02:32:41 PM »
It's not "good for us" and "bad for developers" that they're going to update the store a couple of times a week. It's bad for everyone, because the **** was down for a month and all of our accounts were hacked. IT'S BAD FOR EVERYONE. Also, there were a pretty huge number of people that went out and bought 360s (or got their 360s fixed) while PSN was down, which again, is bad for everyone...except Microsoft.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #861 on: May 16, 2011, 02:51:31 PM »
It's not "good for us" and "bad for developers" that they're going to update the store a couple of times a week. It's bad for everyone, because the **** was down for a month and all of our accounts were hacked. IT'S BAD FOR EVERYONE. Also, there were a pretty huge number of people that went out and bought 360s (or got their 360s fixed) while PSN was down, which again, is bad for everyone...except Microsoft.

As they like to say on GameFAQs: "Old News is Old".  I wasn't talking about the information theft and you know it.  I was referring specifically to how if you're a 3rd party developer on PSN, you are relying on your stuff coming out on a specific date with a specific buffer window between your software and those of other developers.  With Sony releasing multiple updates a week, the second and third tier PSN software is going to especially struggle to sell (more than it already would with consumer confidence taking the hit it did with the PSN outage) all bunched together like that.  It's good for us, though, since there's all this new software coming out nearly at once.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: May 16, 2011, 03:03:07 PM »
I didn't say you were talking about the theft. I'm saying that the reason we're getting these "rapid updates" is because SONY's trying to rush out the stuff that we didn't get to use while they were "fixing" the network that was taken down after SONY lost all of our personal information. I get what you're saying, but if someone who gives you a piece of free candy every week (in exchange for handling your personal information) accidentally gives away all of your personal information, including credit card numbers, takes a month to figure out how to get your candy back, then gives you say 4 pieces at once (and in turn not letting each candy distributor get a fair shake at winning you over, since you're "overloaded" with candy now), it doesn't mean that it's "good" for anyone.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: May 16, 2011, 03:29:10 PM »
Also, there were a pretty huge number of people that went out and bought 360s (or got their 360s fixed) while PSN was down, which again, is bad for everyone...except Microsoft.

Who is now selling 6mo of Xbox Live for $6
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/live/hulu-plus/jack-links

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #864 on: May 16, 2011, 03:41:22 PM »
Also, there were a pretty huge number of people that went out and bought 360s (or got their 360s fixed) while PSN was down, which again, is bad for everyone...except Microsoft.

Take an opportunity their.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #865 on: May 16, 2011, 03:47:45 PM »

Take an opportunity their.

Looks like the deal has changed to Buy 3 get 1 Free since I first saw it this morning.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #866 on: May 16, 2011, 04:42:59 PM »
The PSN relaunch has taken an interesting twist, as the Japanese government has refused to let Sony relaunch it in Japan, citing that they are not satisfied that Sony has sufficient protections against credit card theft like they said they would do at their May 1st Press Conference.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 04:46:51 PM by broodwars »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #867 on: May 16, 2011, 05:07:06 PM »

A little, yeah.  I followed a very good guide, though, that had step-by-step instructions for where to go and what to look for so it wasn't that bad.  I did have a bug, though, where I had to reload a save file because one of the ingots in a pile simply didn't spawn.  I also had the game crash a few times in the process, but surprise...surprise.  It's Fallout 3 on PS3.  It runs like **** (I'm in Point Lookout, and the game's been crashing probably 3/5 times I use VATS in a minor firefight).  No surprises there.

Was Wild Bill there where he was supposed to be for you? There is a fairly common bug where his corpse falls through the map making it impossible to retrieve his gun and therefore the side quest. Fortunately, there is no trophy associated with that so you don't absolutely need to. There's actually a trick to get out of the map and get down to where his corpse is and I actually did that and I saw his body but it has fallen into an area I couldn't get to so I never was able to retrieve his gun... oh well, no big deal really.

Do you have the Mysterious Stranger perk? I did, and it seems like VATS would mess up a lot more because of that. I'd run into situations like where I would be sniping at someone over a great distance and then the mysterious stranger's music would play indicating his appearance but I never actually seen him and the target was never killed. The game didn't freeze, but it continued in ridiculously slow motion and was stuck in that limbo until I gave up and restarted the console. This happened to me perhaps 5 times throughout the game. For that reason I don't think I would recommend anyone using that perk. If it worked as intended it would be a cool perk and helpful at times, but its seriously bugged and Bethesda is not going to patch that at this point. The Mysterious Stranger can also cause some problems because he steals your kill which causes you to lose the XP you would have gained, and it can also screw up certain missions such as "you gotta shoot em in the head" where you are supposed to do the killing.
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #868 on: May 16, 2011, 05:13:02 PM »
The PSN relaunch has taken an interesting twist, as the Japanese government has refused to let Sony relaunch it in Japan, citing that they are not satisfied that Sony has sufficient protections against credit card theft like they said they would do at their May 1st Press Conference.

Good for Japan. Looking out for it's people and not just corporate interest. After a breach like this for a company of that size, Sony should have to jump through hoops to prove that the problem is contained and not likely to happen again.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #869 on: May 16, 2011, 05:18:29 PM »
Good for Japan. Looking out for it's people and not just corporate interest. After a breach like this for a company of that size, Sony should have to jump through hoops to prove that the problem is contained and not likely to happen again.
Government looking after people... Who would have thunk.
Well taking bets on when you guys Japan PSN will be back up.  I know Newscast has after the 3DS eShop.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #870 on: May 16, 2011, 05:19:17 PM »
Not to mention that Sony is a Japanese corporation, so the fact the Japanese government isn't going soft on them for that reason is remarkable. In comparison our government went soft on BP (a British corporation) after the oil spill, and is going soft on Sony now by casually allowing them to do whatever they want. Not to mention those corporate bailouts a few years back where billions of tax payer dollars were given to corporate giants.

At least the Japanese Government isn't as corrupted apparently.
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #871 on: May 16, 2011, 05:24:45 PM »
Not to mention that Sony is a Japanese corporation, so the fact the Japanese government isn't going soft on them for that reason is remarkable. In comparison our government went soft on BP (a British corporation) after the oil spill, and is going soft on Sony now by casually allowing them to do whatever they want. Not to mention those corporate bailouts a few years back where billions of tax payer dollars were given to corporate giants.

At least the Japanese Government isn't as corrupted apparently.
I will not say what came to mind because of forum rules.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #872 on: May 16, 2011, 05:36:02 PM »
I will not say what came to mind because of forum rules.

Did I offend you? If so, I'm sorry.
is your sanity...

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #873 on: May 16, 2011, 05:48:33 PM »
Was Wild Bill there where he was supposed to be for you? There is a fairly common bug where his corpse falls through the map making it impossible to retrieve his gun and therefore the side quest. Fortunately, there is no trophy associated with that so you don't absolutely need to. There's actually a trick to get out of the map and get down to where his corpse is and I actually did that and I saw his body but it has fallen into an area I couldn't get to so I never was able to retrieve his gun... oh well, no big deal really.

Do you have the Mysterious Stranger perk? I did, and it seems like VATS would mess up a lot more because of that.

No, Wild Bill wasn't where he was supposed to be, as a matter of fact.  I figured he wasn't there at the time because I hadn't talked with the lady who asked me to find him.  Huh.

And yes, I have the Mysterious Stranger perk, and it's proven quite helpful.  Where I'm often seeing crashes, though, is the Zoom into VATS mode, though I have seen crashes as well where I'm about to fire the fatal blow in VATS against a guy and the game just freezes on the shot of me aiming my gun.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #874 on: May 16, 2011, 05:53:26 PM »
There's a fallout Wiki and I read about a VATS bug when you're in the Yao Gaoi caves there's a scripted event where a bear or group of bears run across the path in front of you, but they're not real Yao Gaoi and basically just scripted dummies. The Wiki said if you try to target them in VATS the game will crash.
is your sanity...