Author Topic: PSN = Privacy? Security? Never!  (Read 197582 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Re: PSN = Privacy? Security? Never!
« Reply #325 on: March 28, 2011, 09:23:55 PM »
Does it matter which branch of Sony is doing the suing? Its all just appendages of the same entity.
is your sanity...

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: March 28, 2011, 09:30:32 PM »
It matters because of jurisdiction.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: March 28, 2011, 11:44:25 PM »
SCEA bears the Sony name and deals with the PlayStation (software), but they are not in their right to sue GeoHot and base jurisdiction in California, because they have nothing to do with the PS3 hardware. And they also are not a subsidiary of Sony Japan. GeoHot's latest motion for dismissal has been awarded it seems (doesn't mean it'll get dismissed, just that he may have a valid argument to get it dismissed), though a full on loss for SCEA would be the best thing to happen. SCEA is saying that George was explicitly targetting them with his hack, which by all accounts untrue - not only because his hack *does not* allow piracy, but also because SCEA has nothing to do with the PS3 hardware. Dropping off PSN to SNEA may have been a mistake as well.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #328 on: March 29, 2011, 12:52:05 AM »
At best this would only be a delaying measure. If the court dismisses the case because this particular branch of Sony has no jurisdiction then you can be sure Sony isn't going to just abandon the case, but will instead push forward with whatever branch does have that jurisdiction. If it works out it will buy time for the defense and that may be beneficial, but it isn't going to stop Sony for good.
is your sanity...

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 29, 2011, 02:35:10 PM »
I don't think you know what you're talking about. We are not talking about a particular branch of Sony. We are talking about the courts jurisdiction to hear the case. If there is no jursdiction, the case will be thrown out. If there is jursdiction, then the court could place an injunction on GeoHotz.

It's a big deal.

If the case is thrown out, then it will be taken to Federal court where it will most likely go straight to the Supreme court. The same court that already ruled Jailbreaking was legal.

So Sony will basically lose if they lose jurisdiction. If they win, then they have a much better chance for a different verdict, but Geohotz will keep appealing the verdict if he is found to be wrong till it inevitable reaches the Supreme Court.

Therefore, Sony is trying to suck out his cash flow by making the road as long as possible.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: March 29, 2011, 03:10:13 PM »
Bingo.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #331 on: April 02, 2011, 06:05:05 AM »
Now that the agreement thing is now actually in effect I would like requote something Ian quoted earlier in the thread and give my own response to it.

PlayStation(R)Network will continue to
provide you with the highest standard
of interactive entertainment. Your
access to the best games, movies, TV
shows, music and friends will remain
intact.

Then explain why the **** did you shut down my PS3 while I was in the middle of a game and forced me to lose all of my progress I had made from my last save? That's not the "highest standard in interactive entertainment", and my "access to the best games" certainly did not "remain intact" as a result of this new policy where you bastards can reboot my PS3 at any time without any warning whatsoever and also without my consent. I don't have a problem consenting because I'm not pirating or doing anything wrong, but for christ's sake at least let me know ahead of time so I can save and not end up losing an hour or two of progress in a game. Am I pissed? damn right I am!

As for those guys who said Geohotz is "acting like a douche" or whatever, that may or may not be true, but Sony is behaving like an even bigger douche. Now their anti-hacking campaign bullshit has hit the fan and is now effecting the mainstream PS3 consumers in an adverse way.

Not to mention the fact that now with this new EULA , they've reserved the right to steal "abandoned" funds from user accounts. How the hell is that not as bad or even worse than piracy? Its exactly the same as how certain pirates justify stealing old games which are no longer commercially available, so they think the games are "abandoned" and that that makes it okay. Well, Sony apparently think its okay to take funds from user's wallets if they decide those funds are abandoned. Its the same principle, but its still theft either way. I don't know if that part of the new EULA would hold up in a court, but I hope it wouldn't because that is fucked up.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 06:19:19 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 02, 2011, 11:30:42 AM »
As for those guys who said Geohotz is "acting like a douche" or whatever, that may or may not be true, but Sony is behaving like an even bigger douche. Now their anti-hacking campaign bullshit has hit the fan and is now effecting the mainstream PS3 consumers in an adverse way.

Sony is always true to form. Remember the rootkit incident?
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: April 04, 2011, 10:46:00 AM »
It's on like Donkey Kong, mother fucker! Anonymous is going after Sony now. Now, I may just be over reacting a little bit, who knows what will actually happen, but it's nice to see that Sony will at least have some fear of their own.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 10:52:40 AM by Brandogg »

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #334 on: April 04, 2011, 10:58:18 AM »
Kevin Butler is probably quaking in his boots right now, just like Moamar Gadhafi.
is your sanity...

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: April 04, 2011, 11:28:24 AM »
Kevin Butler is not a real person, but I assume you know that. the point of this is that it will at the very least bring a lot of negative attention to Sony.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #336 on: April 04, 2011, 11:39:52 AM »
Kevin Butler is not a real person, but I assume you know that.

I do know that. But he is a figurehead or mascot of the company, and its easier and more fun to poke at him than whoever is really leading the company (and since Kutaragi left I don't even know who that is).
is your sanity...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: April 04, 2011, 02:09:24 PM »
It's on like Donkey Kong, mother fucker! Anonymous is going after Sony now. Now, I may just be over reacting a little bit, who knows what will actually happen, but it's nice to see that Sony will at least have some fear of their own.

I bet nothing worthwhile or even newsworthy comes of it.

Actually, depending on how far they go(assuming it was a real threat), they might even be helping Sony to vilify the hacker scene in general.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 02:11:30 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #338 on: April 04, 2011, 02:22:39 PM »
They admitted in the press release that two wrongs to don't make a right but they're going to do it anyway.

All GeoHot has to do is tell his lawyer to draft up something dismissing any relations with Anonymous and he's in the clear. The sooner the better.

I for one am kinda curios what they will do. Will they take down there websites or go after PSN?

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: April 04, 2011, 02:29:34 PM »
Anonymous and GeoHot are two completely separate breeds. I don't think anyone would even try to put them in the same group, they are absolutely nothing alike. Same with Graf_Chokolo and just about everyone else involved in PS3 hacking. These people aren't even PS3 hackers. Anyway, I don't think this will hurt George's case (again, it's a civil trial) and actually has no merit on it whatsoever.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #340 on: April 04, 2011, 02:45:18 PM »
Half the stuff Sony has been doing in discovery should have nothing to do with jurisdiction, but that didn't stop them from doing it.

I'm sure if Anon did something stupid, Sony would use that action to make all hackers look bad and then try to lump Geo, Graf, Anon and everyone else into one general all inclusive group of malicious miscreants.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #341 on: April 04, 2011, 03:29:10 PM »
Actually, depending on how far they go(assuming it was a real threat), they might even be helping Sony to vilify the hacker scene in general.

Or it could provoke Sony into committing greater acts of brutality which add further support to the hackers.
is your sanity...

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: April 04, 2011, 07:53:53 PM »
The Sony of America, Sony of Japan legal loophole stuff is what I hate about lawyers and the court system in general.  Too much beauracy and technicalities getting in the way of common sense.

Anonymous sounds like a legion of huge dorks.  If they attacked you en masse you could fend them off with a pool noodle.  Their letter sounds like something I would have written when I was 9 years old.  Oooo Sony is going to be so scared of a bunch of losers who use words like "lulz" and "copywrong".

One thing that will gain Sony support is that they come across like normal people.  Right or wrong your demeanor gives you credibility.  Sony is a business so they will present themselves as professionals.  Hackers have a public image of being friendless losers living in their parents' basement.  Statements like Anonymous made just reinforce that stereotype.  So the public will not side with the hackers because they came across as immature weirdos.  It's less about the point you're trying to make but more about how you make it.  It's important to come across as intelligent, rational and mature.

Of course I find the whole idea of information being free to be severly flawed.  So no one is entitled to privacy?  It's okay for your friends to blab any secrets you've shared with them or for stores to post your credit card number publicly?

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: April 04, 2011, 08:06:01 PM »
I think there's something that many of you (and Kotaku) are forgetting...

Anonymous doesn't care what you - or anyone - thinks of them.

And that's what makes them dangerous. :D
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #344 on: April 04, 2011, 08:20:00 PM »
Anon Youtube message to Sony
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcSCUU4Fg9k

This was from earlier today when PSN had gone down (not sure if it still is though)

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #345 on: April 04, 2011, 08:21:56 PM »
They've knocked playstation.com offline too.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: April 04, 2011, 08:22:38 PM »
Anon Youtube message to Sony
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcSCUU4Fg9k

This was from earlier today when PSN had gone down (not sure if it still is though)

Huh.  The PSN must have been down for a pretty short time (either that or I got lucky), because I was on there this morning downloading Valkyria Chronicles 2 to transfer to my new PSP.  I hope everything's alright.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: April 04, 2011, 08:28:48 PM »
I got logged out earlier and trying to use the web browser on my PlayStation was like watching paint dry.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: April 04, 2011, 08:44:28 PM »
As for Anonymous, I have my issues with the hackers in this scenario but despite those issues their activities have not had substantial impact on legitimate users.  If Geohot and whatnot were to win their cases, Sony would be displeased and there could be bad issues with future Sony consoles but most people would be unaffected.  Anonymous, though, sounds downright malicious and their aggressive (and, as Ian commented, petty and childish) actions against Sony are not unlikely to have negative repercussions on legitimate users who just want to stay out of the way of this fight.  They should step back and let the legal system do its thing (as I've said before, Sony is not likely to win these cases), before this escalates beyond the Point of No Return into dangerous territory where things are worse for everyone on both sides of the issue.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 08:57:47 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: April 04, 2011, 08:54:41 PM »
Anonymous are retards. They've done malicious and illegal things for years, thinking they can do whatever the **** they want. They need to be stopped.