Author Topic: 3DS Online Game Store, Other Features to Miss Launch?  (Read 6006 times)

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
3DS Online Game Store, Other Features to Miss Launch?
« on: January 19, 2011, 11:08:51 PM »

Some other notable functionality may have to wait as well.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/24807

Nintendo has announced that several key features of its new 3DS system will not be initially included on launch devices, most notably an online game store.  Devices will also be missing a web browser, the ability to view 3D movies, and functionality allowing users to transfer DSiWare titles to the device.

While Nintendo assured the public that their online store (which it called the "eShop") would feature DSiWare and 3DS games as well as Game Boy and Game Boy Color Virtual Console titles, they offered no launch date for the service. They also gave no timetable for the availability of the other features, though it is still possible that the required software updates will become available at or near launch.

The Nintendo 3DS launches on March 25 in Europe, and March 27 in North America.

Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
Re: 3DS Online Game Store, Other Features to Miss Launch?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2011, 11:20:17 PM »
CAN WE PLEASE GET THROUGH ONE HARDWARE LAUNCH WITHOUT A NINTENDO MOMENT!?
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2011, 11:22:52 PM »
MaryJane called it. Looks like they took the last 6 months off for vacation.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 11:56:06 PM »
Well, I guess that answers my question from the other thread.

It also proves my statement a from yet a different thread.
In other words, there was never any hope for the 3DS to have launched Q4 2010 like many of us and all of the investors were hoping.

Seriously. what has Nintendo been up to for the last 6 months?

eShop w/ VC games and DSi transfers should be easy enough.
and internet browser should have easily been a day 1 thing.
Avatar3D should have been a pack in movie cross promotion of 3DS Movies and Avatar 3D

Someone is dragging their feet over there in Japan.

Offline RABicle

• Used to be The Finisher
  • Score: 9
    • View Profile
    • Pietriots
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 12:08:57 AM »
Sometimes I reckon Nintendo just have like, two guys who work fulltime on the various Ware stores. This has got to be a joke. I mean the hardware in this thing is probably amazing, it probably supports WPA3 and other standards that haven't been invented yet. It charges by induction. And here they are like it's 2001 and digital distribution isn't top of their agenda.
Pietriots  - Post ironic gaming log.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 12:36:43 AM »
Well, if something could shake my launch day hopes, this would be it. I'm still a sucker and I'm really wowed by the system, but c'mon. My absurd DSiWare collection is throwing Nintendo the middle finger right now.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 02:40:55 AM »
Overpriced AND rushed? Talk about caring for the customer.

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 09:02:31 AM »
Yep, this is pretty disappointing. This actually seems very un-Nintendo; typically they like to give customers a complete experience, especially hardware-wise, so gamers don't have to futz with the system after they plug it in.  They updated Wii after release, but the amount of updates for Wii were miniscule compared to those for PS3 and 360 (with Sony and Microsoft revamping their systems repeatedly), and didn't add a lot in the way of core functionality (save the SD card fridge-cleaning update).

Of course, I pre-ordered my system from Amazon yesterday.  Hahahaha.
Jon Lindemann

My Game Backlog

Offline motang

• Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 11:13:12 AM »
Hopefully we won't have to wait too long for these features.

Offline LittleIrves

• Title = Ha.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Kill Screen
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 11:25:55 AM »
I'm not too concerned about this.  Seems odd, sure; but given its ability to upgrade automatically (through the magic of "SpotPass"TM!) I imagine one morning we'll all wake up, open the 3DS, and see a notice saying, "The eShop is open for business!"  See, Nintendo isn't keeping features from us.  They're merely dosing them out in increments, so as to add to our future enjoyment. 
And yes, I've drunk the kool-aid. 
Contributing writer at killscreendaily.com

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 03:45:23 PM »
Yep, this is pretty disappointing. This actually seems very un-Nintendo; typically they like to give customers a complete experience, especially hardware-wise, so gamers don't have to futz with the system after they plug it in.  They updated Wii after release, but the amount of updates for Wii were miniscule compared to those for PS3 and 360 (with Sony and Microsoft revamping their systems repeatedly), and didn't add a lot in the way of core functionality (save the SD card fridge-cleaning update).

Of course, I pre-ordered my system from Amazon yesterday.  Hahahaha.

The Wii had some not-yet-implemented channels initially that told you to wait for an update.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2011, 05:15:39 PM »
I imagine an Apple-like delay between the platform and the app store. So about a year.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2011, 05:23:37 PM »
There is no way they delay it for a year. At the absolute latest would be an E3 launch as it goes live right after it's previewed in their press conference in June. But it's more likely that they just a need a few extra weeks to get everything tweaked and ironed out and will launch it sometime in April.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2011, 05:27:57 PM »
There is no way they delay it for a year. At the absolute latest would be an E3 launch as it goes live right after it's previewed in their press conference in June. But it's more likely that they just a need a few extra weeks to get everything tweaked and ironed out and will launch it sometime in April.

I see them opening up the online store a few weeks after the 3DS release and then revealing GBA, Game Gear and Neo Geo Pocket Color support for the store at E3 of this year.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2011, 06:24:10 PM »
I think it's strange that the shop won't be available at launch. How hard could it be to set it up? They are probably going to miss out on a lot of download sales from early adapters itching for more games to play, since no system ever has enough games around launch.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2011, 06:48:54 PM »
It could be up as soon as the next day, keep the release schedule that they have for VC/WW/DSW.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline yoshi1001

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • PIRN-Pokemon Radio
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2011, 08:33:15 PM »
I'm actually a bit more worried about the browser-a lot of hotspots require you to go to your browser to accept terms of use before you can log on. I'm fine with waiting until I get home to buy off the shop, but it'll be though trying to play games online on the road without a browser.

Also, keep in mind that Nintendo probably isn't developing the browser themselves-it's likely an Opera product, which means it isn't 100% within their control. Who knows? Maybe the shop and browser both share some code base and that's why neither of them are there day one.
For Pokemon news and interviews, check us out at:

http://pokepress.blogspot.com/

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2011, 09:21:41 PM »
I actually contacted Opera yesterday regarding the browser and got this response: "We're not able to comment on your question, unfortunately."
Aaron Kaluszka

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2011, 03:24:16 AM »
I expect these features to be ready on launch day. They just aren't ready in time for the production line.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2011, 01:10:40 PM »
I actually contacted Opera yesterday regarding the browser and got this response: "We're not able to comment on your question, unfortunately."

Unfortunately.

Glorious.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2011, 02:28:17 PM »

eStore & Internet browser will be there day 1 afterall.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-21-3ds-estore-will-be-ready-on-day-one
Contrary to speculation, the 3DS's digital download store and internet browser will be up and running from launch, Nintendo has confirmed.

A Wired report earlier this week claimed that the new handheld's eStore would not be ready on the day of release and would be added in later via a firmware update.

However, a spokesperson for Nintendo told Eurogamer today that although neither an internet browser nor the eStore would be included in the console's "initial firmware" they will be "updated on day one".

The eStore is where you'll be able to download DSiWare titles, retro Game Boy classics, game demos, trailers and new digital titles made exclusively for the 3DS.

Nintendo hasn't confirmed a full line-up for the portable's Virtual Console equivalent, however, screenshots indicate that Super Mario Land and Zelda: Link's Awakening will both be available at some point.

The Nintendo 3DS launches across Europe on 25th March.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2011, 02:30:38 PM »
Very good news.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2011, 03:03:29 PM »
If the store was not available on day one then it could have hurt their standing against Apple.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2011, 03:18:36 PM »
They don't compete with Apple.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2011, 03:26:23 PM »
They compete for consumer mindshare, time, money & pocket space, so yes, they do compete with Apple. Not to mention that Apple has been eating up handheld marketshare from teh DS & PSP, so the 3DS is an attempt to claim all that was lost and then some.
Can they convince the masses that they should own a 3DS even though they mostly just play games on their iDevice? or Android device?
Maybe, but that really is a conversation for a different topic.

The new focus of this topic should be that eShop and Internet Browsing should will be available on Day1 and that Nintendo couldn't made that alot clearer from the start.