Poll

Which game should the RFN crew and listeners play and discuss together?

Wario Land 3 (GBC)
15 (27.3%)
Mario Tennis: Power Tour (GBA)
1 (1.8%)
Perfect Dark (N64)
10 (18.2%)
Ogre Battle 64 (N64)
20 (36.4%)
Hotel Dusk (DS)
9 (16.4%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Voting closed: January 19, 2011, 06:33:14 PM

Author Topic: RFN RetroActive #16 Poll - Second Chance Edition!  (Read 17245 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: RFN RetroActive #16 Poll - Second Chance Edition!
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2011, 03:33:22 PM »
Wario Land 3 talk would come down to its Metroid-like qualities and how it isn't as good as Wario Land II, Mario Tennis Power Tour would come down to its overall lack of Mario and strange omission of connection with Mario Power Tennis, and Hotel Dusk would be the most spoiler-tagged thread in history.

RetroActive #16 cancelled.

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2011, 01:45:49 AM »
I had to vote for Wario Land 3. It's a fantastic game that I could only devote a fraction of my attention to when I first purchased it, and retroactive would be a good excuse to fully explore it.

Offline LittleIrves

• Title = Ha.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Kill Screen
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2011, 10:38:28 AM »
Wario Land 3, voted.

I'm curious as to what the entire "canon" of Wario Land games is, if that's the right word to use...  how exactly does this one line up with, say, Wario Land on Virtual Boy or Shake It for Wii?
Contributing writer at killscreendaily.com

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2011, 01:17:14 PM »
Wario Land 3, voted.

I'm curious as to what the entire "canon" of Wario Land games is, if that's the right word to use...  how exactly does this one line up with, say, Wario Land on Virtual Boy or Shake It for Wii?

Like all Nintendo platforming franchises, there isn't really a canon to speak of. That genre was established without needing to have much story to base it on, so each game probably takes place after the one before if you're really trying to find an overall narrative to the series. Each new title is another adventure to defeat evil for Mario, or Donkey Kong, or Yoshi, or Kirby.

The unique theme to Wario Land is that Wario isn't out to stop some evil force. He is an exceptionally greedy character, and he satisfies that greed whenever there's an opportunity to hoard treasure (read: a new game).

On a related note, anyone who hasn't voted should pick Wario Land 3. You know you want to.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2011, 05:00:44 PM »
For some odd reason, I'm finding an uncontrollable urge to vote for Wario Land 3. What strange force could possibly be driving me to do so?

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2011, 05:53:16 PM »
I changed my vote to Wario Land 3.  I've got the feeling that my original vote won't win, and the only Wario Land game I've played is the original one on the game boy, so it would be interesting to see how much had changed between the 1st and the 3rd.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2011, 06:14:40 PM »
I'm sticking with Ogre Battle because I think it is the best choice. Not only is the most easy to acquire, but a lot of people haven't played it, and the discussions could be very interesting.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2011, 08:04:25 PM »
I'm sticking with Ogre Battle because I think it is the best choice. Not only is the most easy to acquire, but a lot of people haven't played it, and the discussions could be very interesting.

That is a very good point--OB64 is the only game on this list that's available on VC.  Problem is, I don't think many people will play along.

Unfortunately, I don't think many people will play along with any of these games.  I'm sure we'll have people chiming in who have previously played the game--especially with Perfect Dark and Hotel Dusk--but I just don't think there will be many of us who play through the game (again or for the first time) with Jonny and crew.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline JasonMaivia

• On the ShyGuy list.
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2011, 10:51:16 AM »
Whichever game wins, it'll be fun to play, and interesting to hear the podcast members' thoughts of it.

Offline Olimar77

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2011, 10:16:49 PM »
I picked up OB64 on the VC because James spoke so highly of it. I had a tough time with it at first, but really started to enjoy it once I spent a few hours with the game.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2011, 10:30:51 PM »
Nice!  It seems I now have a reason to move my Virtual Console copy of OB64 up my backlog list in the near future!   ;D
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2011, 10:43:50 PM »
I was worried because it started sounding like OB64 would lose. This gives me a good excuse to buy the game on VC.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline yoshi1001

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • PIRN-Pokemon Radio
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2011, 11:26:06 PM »
I wonder if any fewer people voted for WL3 because they wanted to wait until it was out on 3DS VC (bound to happen sooner or later).
For Pokemon news and interviews, check us out at:

http://pokepress.blogspot.com/

Offline Eric

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2011, 03:03:12 AM »
I think this is my first post but Im going to start playing along with the retro active now. Gonna buy Ogre battle 64 so I can follow along with the guys.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2011, 03:08:16 AM »
Nice! Now I just need to get my N64 back from my little sister.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2011, 01:39:30 PM »
Boo-urns. A protracted discussion on this game... ugh.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2011, 01:43:40 PM »

Yes, because a protracted discussion on yet another Mario platformer (with Metroid elements!) is so much more fascinating.  Your game will have another chance to win the next 2nd Chance Edition somewhere down the line.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 01:45:21 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2011, 02:21:08 PM »

Yes, because a protracted discussion on yet another Mario platformer (with Metroid elements!) is so much more fascinating.  Your game will have another chance to win the next 2nd Chance Edition somewhere down the line.

Have you played Wario Land 3? There's not much in common with Mario platformers. There's a lot of unique ideas in there. And so what if there are Metroid elements? The podcast commentaries on Metroid or Metroid-like game design has been consistently interesting. Unlike, oh let's think, the fifth RPG/second tactical RPG on RetroActive.

Whatever. That's probably just my fussiness towards that genre talking. I personally find it hard listening to people talk about them.

Tom Malina
UK Correspondent

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2011, 06:31:22 PM »
I confess, I anticipate a rather boring discussion on this game for RetroActive as well. I hope the RFN crew and listener posts surprise me.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2011, 06:37:57 PM »
I own the game but I'm not sure I'm in the mood to try and get into an RPG/strategy game.

Maybe all the Wario Landers should just go and create their own discussion...

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2011, 09:11:32 PM »
Maybe it's a good excuse to play it so you can get your write up complete for your N64 retrospective when it goes up in 2014.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2011, 09:40:35 PM »
I own the game but I'm not sure I'm in the mood to try and get into an RPG/strategy game.

Maybe all the Wario Landers should just go and create their own discussion...

Or even better, the people who voted for Wario Land should all play Wario Land, but in the retroactive thread talk about it as if it were Ogre Battle:

"Man, I'm digging this game, but I don't know why they call it Ogre Battle....it's about this guy that kinda looks like Mario who likes treasure and gets different hats that change his power-ups"

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2011, 01:12:15 AM »
Sweet!

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2011, 03:27:02 AM »
We currently expect to start the on-air discussion on RFN 230. It's a very large game, so start playing now if you want to do this with us. Thread is coming soon.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2011, 11:20:51 AM »
I cannot wait to get started!

Does anyone here have tips to offer for people playing Ogre Battle for the first time?

One thing I hate about SRPGs is that I often feel they're a downgrade from pure strategy games, because of the random elements they add that you cannot know about unless you've played the game already or are using a guide. For instance, the whole idea of using some item to change class in Fire Emblem. Apparently, there is an optimal time to use those items, but exactly how would you know that you're not supposed to use them as soon as you get them? And these games are so long, multiple playthroughs are out of the question for normal gamers, so really, these things to me seem to serve only one purpose: sell strategy guides.

Anything like that in Ogre Battle? Any early-game decisions that noobs can make without thinking twice about it and that will completely screw them out of a chance to finish the game?