Author Topic: Capcom Adding More Titles to Virtual Console Arcade  (Read 6694 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Capcom Adding More Titles to Virtual Console Arcade
« on: October 08, 2010, 12:52:01 PM »

At the New York Comic Con, Capcom is showing off their latest additions to the platform.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/24240

Capcom has unveiled a series of classic arcade games that will bereleasing on the Virtual Console Arcade.  In their booth at New York Comic Con, the following titles were shown:

• Exed Exes
  • SonSon
  • Commando
  • Ghosts n' Goblins
  • Black Tiger

These games, several of which were very successful as ports on the NES, were shown off today at the convention.  There hasn't been a single release on the Virtual Console Arcade since April 2010, when Zaxxon was released on the service. No release date has been announced for these games.

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
Re: Capcom Adding More Titles to Virtual Console Arcade
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 01:09:57 PM »
This is virtually free money for publishers and there hasn't been a single release in 6 months?

It's gonna be a cycle of disappointment if they keep treating the system this way.
People aren't buying enough "old" games, so they stop putting in lots of effort to release them
Because there is nothing that anyone wants to buy, people stop looking for VC games.
publisher releases VC games, but now no one is looking for them so no one is buying VC games.

having said that, I might be interested in 2 of those.
Commando & GnG

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 01:12:22 PM »
There's nothing I'm really interested in here (the only VC Arcade titles I'm interested in purchasing were licensed titles), but it's nice to see the Virtual Console get some new title announcements, especially the VC Arcade.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 01:43:28 PM »
HOLY F%*$! Virtual Console Arcade releases!?

At the very least, it's a good sign that Capcom is releasing downloadable titles on the Wii.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 01:46:36 PM »
At the very least, it's a good sign that Capcom is releasing downloadable titles on the Wii.

Sure, though is it wrong to wish that this was an announcement that they were bringing Duck Tales, C&D Rescue Rangers, and Aladdin to the VC instead?  :-\
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 01:55:24 PM »
Is the arcade version of 1942 any good?  If I remember correctly, the NES port was pretty bad.

I'm definitely picking up Ghosts 'n Goblins.  After the RetroActive some months ago I (almost) finished Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts for SNES and I did manage to beat Ghouls 'n Ghosts for Genesis.  I need MOAR.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 02:38:28 PM »
Is the arcade version of 1942 any good?  If I remember correctly, the NES port was pretty bad.

Yes, for what it is.  I'm not familiar with the differences in the NES port, though.  If you don't have nostalgia for it and you're not a connoisseur of classic shmups, then there's probably not much appeal.  I might get it for nostalgia.  I think most people prefer 1943.

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 02:44:50 PM »
I own or used to own most of these games through Capcom's collections on PS2 and PSP, so it's hard to see value in these releases.

Meanwhile, the only collection of console Capcom games that have been released recently are the Mega Man and Mega Man X collections. It would be nice if instead of releasing the same games they have made available countless times, they would dig into their more obscure games that you can't get on anything other than their original console.

You know, like Demon's Crest or Gargoyle's Quest 2.

Offline Retro Deckades

• Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 04:58:41 PM »
Sure, though is it wrong to wish that this was an announcement that they were bringing Duck Tales, C&D Rescue Rangers, and Aladdin to the VC instead?  :-\

Meanwhile, the only collection of console Capcom games that have been released recently are the Mega Man and Mega Man X collections. It would be nice if instead of releasing the same games they have made available countless times, they would dig into their more obscure games that you can't get on anything other than their original console.

You know, like Demon's Crest or Gargoyle's Quest 2.

I wouldn't think it wrong to wish for any such games to appear on the VC because they are all excellent games. Foolish to wish for these games, however, would be another story.

I really don't see why it is unfathomable to think that games like Ducktales, Aladdin, or even The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse could appear on the virtual console (besides, of course, pure apathy from the likes of Nintendo and/or Capcom). These games aren't particularly marred in red tape, since I imagine Disney is the only rights-holder that Capcom would need to work with (aside from Nintendo).

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 05:01:35 PM »
I want Strider arcade

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 05:38:28 PM »
One awesome CapCom NES game that should come to the Virtual Console is Snow Brothers. This game is relatively obscure and is hard to find, so few people have played it. It's a shame, because it's a really fun game, especially the co-op, even though it's incredibly short.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 06:01:08 PM »
If Magical Quest could be released on the GBA surely it can be released on the VC.  We have an example of Disney being cool with an old licenced game being re-released.

Snow Bros. was only ported to the NES by Capcom.  The original arcade game was by Toaplan who no longer exists.  So who knows who even owns the rights to Snow Bros.  Unfortunately it might be one of these titles that's stuck in limbo forever and ever.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 06:12:31 PM »
Snow Brothers was an arcade game? I never knew that, but it makes sense, the game has a very arcade feel. I guess we will never be seeing from it again, so I had better take care of my NES cartridge.

Offline ControlerFleX

• Best new poster
  • Score: -5
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010, 09:00:37 PM »
*sigh* Virtual Console, WiiWare, Arcade.....

Until Nintendo learns to slash/fluctuate their digital media, even for a short amount of time, I can't ever get excited about these announcements.

Whats it to spend $5? Nothing. But $3 is a aut-o-ma-tic "nostalgic impulse" BUY!
....he asked me if the glass was half full or half empty. "Neither." I replied. "I see a glass that is two times bigger than it needs to be....

Forever debited to you my friend...

Offline xcwarrior

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2010, 11:55:48 PM »
Any VC release is a good thing at this point. Good to hear.
Nintendo ID: XCWarrior
3DS code: 1289-8376-3350. PM me if you want to swap.
Steam and backloggery.com are also: XCWarrior

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2010, 09:02:02 AM »
Me, I'd want a VC of Muscle Bomber/Saturday Night Slammasters 2 which never came out in the states. Grant it I prefer the first one which I still own the SNES cart of but still, I'd buy it.
Mission...complete?

Offline LittleIrves

• Title = Ha.
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Kill Screen
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2010, 07:32:17 PM »
Gun.Smoke!!!   Please???
Contributing writer at killscreendaily.com

Offline yoshi1001

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • PIRN-Pokemon Radio
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2010, 10:23:30 PM »
What? No SFII variant?  ;)
For Pokemon news and interviews, check us out at:

http://pokepress.blogspot.com/

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2010, 11:07:48 PM »
Still would like Mega Man X, X2, or X3.  Take your pick!
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Bman87301

• AtGames Defender
  • Score: -10
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2010, 12:21:55 AM »
whhops nevermind
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 12:23:36 AM by Bman87301 »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2010, 04:17:48 AM »
If Magical Quest could be released on the GBA surely it can be released on the VC.  We have an example of Disney being cool with an old licenced game being re-released.

If this is true then I demand that the NES Ducktales game gets a release in any form immediately.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2010, 09:57:02 AM »
Heck re-release  Ducktales 1 & 2. A lot of us were too busy with the SNES & missed the sequel.
Mission...complete?

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2010, 10:54:29 AM »
What?!  I wasn't even aware there was a sequel!
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2010, 12:48:10 AM »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast