Author Topic: Episode 209: Dubious Magnanimity  (Read 11519 times)

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
Episode 209: Dubious Magnanimity
« on: September 05, 2010, 05:37:48 PM »

Metroid: Other M is finally here, and the podcast crew is all over it.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/rfn/23983

As you know, three of the four RFN crew are big Metroid fans, so it should be no surprise that this week's episode jumps right into a half-hour round of impressions and critique of Other M, with more to come soon. James was zoned out during the Other M talk, but we pull him back in for an update on his RPG saga, this time with Tales of Innocence, a Japan-only DS title with impressive presentation. Greg also has a recommendation for the WiiWare version of And Yet It Moves, while Jonny is lukewarm but satisfied with Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands.

Our second segment kicks off with a mini-feature discussion on the topic of hardware price drops, inspired by the upcoming $20 discounts on DSi and DSi XL. Is that enough price change to spur sales, either among us or the general public? We dip into the history and meaning of price drops and their effects on the market.

The show ends with a sampling of Listener Mail. First up: is it wrong to wish failure upon Kinect and Move? Finally, we consider which games and art styles will look good in perpetuity. Thanks for the letters, and keep them coming!

Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 209: Dubious Magnanimity
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 06:14:25 PM »
As you know, three of the four RFN crew are big Metroid fans, so it should be no surprise that this week's episode jumps right into a half-hour round of impressions and critique of Other M, with more to come soon. James was zoned out during the Other M talk, but we pull him back in for an update on his RPG saga

This is frighteningly similar to the start of this week's Newscast,

Three quarters of the Newscast crew have played Metroid: Other M, and thus a large portion of the opening half-hour of the show deals with our thoughts and impressions of the game.

...and when you consider exactly which members were doing what it makes the end of Newcast double scary.

Bless you, my child.
Please turn the power OFF.

And Jonny, you don't ride the giant Cheep-Cheep

Offline Bboy

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 06:33:49 PM »
I'm about to download this and I'm really hoping you guys like it, because it seems like I'm the only Other M apologist out there. I really do like it, and the story, particularly the Ridley scenes, and right afterwards where Samus says, "Any objections, Adam?" and gives herself the Screw Attack. I think both times, I said, "Oh ****! That's awesome."

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 07:06:15 PM »
As you know, three of the four RFN crew are big Metroid fans, so it should be no surprise that this week's episode jumps right into a half-hour round of impressions and critique of Other M, with more to come soon. James was zoned out during the Other M talk, but we pull him back in for an update on his RPG saga

This is frighteningly similar to the start of this week's Newscast,

Three quarters of the Newscast crew have played Metroid: Other M, and thus a large portion of the opening half-hour of the show deals with our thoughts and impressions of the game.

...and when you consider exactly which members were doing what it makes the end of Newcast double scary.

LOLOLOLOL
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2010, 07:15:05 PM »
I'm about to download this and I'm really hoping you guys like it, because it seems like I'm the only Other M apologist out there. I really do like it, and the story, particularly the Ridley scenes, and right afterwards where Samus says, "Any objections, Adam?" and gives herself the Screw Attack. I think both times, I said, "Oh ****! That's awesome."
God, yes. I loved that part. :D  I'm with you, man. I absolutely adore this game. One of the best Metroid titles out there. I rank it as my second favorite next to Super Metroid. I love it.
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline happyastoria

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2010, 08:35:30 PM »
Jonny, I have have one question for you: Is the writing in Other M as bad as Heavy Rain?

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 08:54:26 PM »
Not sure if you're trolling Heavy Rain, but Other M's writing is much worse.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 08:54:53 PM »
Haven't listened to this yet--it'll be my listening material for my long drive tomorrow morning. I picked Other M up after all the contraversy... So far I'm mostly enjoying the gameplay, aside from getting stuck a few times, but the writing is horrid. Surprisingly, the digital D-pad controls are not bothering me nearly as much as they did during E3.
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 10:16:47 PM »
Is Other M worth paying full price for or should I wait for some kind of deal?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 11:44:49 PM »
Since it's a Nintendo-published game, it'll never get an actual price drop. Given your avatar and signature, I'd go ahead and buy the game.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2010, 11:57:19 PM »
Since it's a Nintendo-published game, it'll never get an actual price drop. Given your avatar and signature, I'd go ahead and buy the game.

Yes, I plan to keep my avatar and signature to commemorate Other M and until I can find another more suitable avatar for my tastes.

Zach, I could not help buy notice that you are a fan of HP Lovecraft. A few months ago I sent you a blog about his work and I was wondering if you got it? If so, what did you think?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 12:14:40 AM »

Excitebots: Trick Racing would like to have a word with you.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Sarail

• View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 12:19:57 AM »

Absolutely, Kytim. It's a great game from beginning to end, and a great Metroid experience overall, too.  Fantastic gameplay, a fun story, and some amazingly intense boss fights, too. You'll have a great time all the way through. Some of the item collection will require you to flex your brain muscles, too... which creates for a very rewarding Metroid adventure.

I say go for it. You won't regret it.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 12:32:45 AM »

Absolutely, Kytim. It's a great game from beginning to end, and a great Metroid experience overall, too.  Fantastic gameplay, a fun story, and some amazingly intense boss fights, too. You'll have a great time all the way through. Some of the item collection will require you to flex your brain muscles, too... which creates for a very rewarding Metroid adventure.

How are the visuals? I have that the graphics of the game look on par with the HD consoles. I have also heared that it is by far the best looking title for the wii so far, but Skyward Sword might trump it from this title, or will it?

Offline Sarail

• View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 12:37:43 AM »

How are the visuals? I have that the graphics of the game look on par with the HD consoles. I have also heared that it is by far the best looking title for the wii so far, but Skyward Sword might trump it from this title, or will it?

It's definitely a great looking game. Very corridor driven just like Super Metroid was... which is the one aspect that I feel helps drive home why the gameplay is so great -- battles are intense. What I think impresses me most graphically, is the fact that Team Ninja normal-mapped the crap out of Samus and her Power Suit. It looks amazing.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2010, 12:44:13 AM »

You know, you could just...oh say...read the Metroid Other M forum thread here to answer most of these questions.  -_-'

I do have to disagree with the podcast on the visuals, though: while the game can look lovely at times, technically and artistically the game is overall a bit "meh" IMO, with lots of blocky models and bland environments.  If Prime 3 could look like a 360 game at times with Retro's usual polish, this game often looks to me like a GameCube game.  In the end, it doesn't really hurt the game, but it does bug me a bit when I hear all these podcasts praising the visuals as "almost being HD".
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 12:46:33 AM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2010, 01:23:18 AM »
This entire forum should write a STRONGLY(emphasis) to Adam Sessler of G4 for giving this game a two out of five. What do you say?

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2010, 02:10:56 AM »
This entire forum should write a STRONGLY(emphasis) to Adam Sessler of G4 for giving this game a two out of five. What do you say?

It looks like Sessler didn't write the review for G4, and I know he didn't narrate it. He didn't even show up for the feedback session that dealt with the review, so I don't think I will write him a STRONGLY.

I think the review from G4 was very personal, which is fine. It appears that Ms. Heppe has strong opinions about many of the game's issues. So while we may find them to be minor, Heppe was obviously frustrated. One of the G4 staffers on their feedback panel even pointed out that their coverage of the game has blown the story elements out of proportion (I am paraphrasing of course.) Heppe, on the other hand continued to complain about misogyny she encountered on the internet. She appears to feel very strongly about how Samus was portrayed, and she definitely dwells on that whenever speaking about the game.

I think at this point Heppe feels as if she has been backed into a corner, so writing her a letter may just aggravate her, or it may genuinely hurt her.

If you disagree with her opinion, what is the point of trying to correct her via an email? Her review doesn't negate your positive experience with the game. If G4's viewers can't understand where Heppe is coming from, and frame that relative to their own point of view, that is just their loss.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 02:17:49 AM by greybrick »
Bless you, my child.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2010, 02:27:43 AM »

It looks like Sessler didn't write the review for G4, and I know he didn't narrate it. He didn't even show up for the feedback session that dealt with the review, so I don't think I will write him a STRONGLY.

I think the review from G4 was very personal, which is fine. It appears that Ms. Heppe has strong opinions about many of the game's issues. So while we may find them to be minor, Heppe was obviously frustrated. One of the G4 staffers on their feedback panel even pointed out that their coverage of the game has blown the story elements out of proportion (I am paraphrasing of course.) Heppe, on the other hand continued to complain about misogyny she encountered on the internet. She appears to feel very strongly about how Samus was portrayed, and she definitely dwells on that whenever speaking about the game.

I think at this point Heppe feels as if she has been backed into a corner, so writing her a letter may just aggravate her, or it may genuinely hurt her.

If you disagree with her opinion, what is the point of trying to correct her via an email? Her review doesn't negate your positive experience with the game. If G4's viewers can't understand where Heppe is coming from, and frame that relative to their own point of view, that is just their loss.

I mistook the reviewer for that game on G4 and thought that it was Sessler. We should still write a letter to G4 any way.

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2010, 02:39:49 AM »
What would you say, and what exactly would you be trying to accomplish?
Bless you, my child.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2010, 03:06:49 AM »
What would you say, and what exactly would you be trying to accomplish?

It was a joke, Greybrick. ;D

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2010, 03:12:03 AM »
This entire conversation makes my brain beg my skull to implode in on it.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2010, 03:38:41 AM »
I came to this thread for the James, I stay for his avatar.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2010, 11:08:41 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if the Treehouse got instructions to keep the script intact since Sakamoto put so much emphasis into it.

There was something else I wanted to comment on but I forgot what it was...

Offline jrlibrarian

• Small Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2010, 01:31:49 PM »
Thank you so much for the mention in this week's episode.

On that note, would you mind if I created a short commercial about my Theremin Hero adventures and my run-in with Chris Kohler that could be played during the next episode?
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.