Author Topic: 3DS Vitual Console: Which Console and Game Should Be Available?  (Read 12949 times)

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
With the showing off of the 3DS at this year's E3, I got to thinking that the 3DS needs a virtual console service of its own. Of course I speculated this when the DSi was revealed and it was told the GBA slot would be removed. A virtual console for the DSi never came to fruition and so I have come to the realization that the 3DS will have a virtual console service of its own when it is released.

So, here I(we) will compile a list of consoles for the 3DS and what games should be released for it. However, there are a few rules: first, it must be exclusivly handhelds and games.

Consoles for 3DS virtual console:

Gameboy
Gameboy Color
Gameboy Advance
Atari Lynx
Game Gear
Neo Geo Pocket Color
Game and Watch
Virtual Boy(3DSware remakes)

I can already think of a few games for thr GBA virtual console:

Loz: The Minish Cap
Sword of Mana
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
Golden Sun 1 and 2
Mario Kart: Super Circuit
Metroid: Fusion
Metroid: Zero Mission
Sonic Advance 1, 2 and 3
Warioware: Mega Micro Games

« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 11:21:20 AM by Kytim89 »
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Re: 3DS Vitual Console: Which Console and Game Should Be Available?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2010, 09:01:10 AM »
I think the Virtual Console for 3DS should be the exact same Virtual Console one the Wii.  SNES, Genesis, TG16, Neo Geo, N64 (if possible) And then add Neo Geo Pocket, Gameboy Advance, Gameboy Color, ect.

And if they are going to make us buy them again, then I want 3D effects on ALL games...even if it means simple effects...I want something more for having to rebuy them. 

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 12:46:19 PM »
I want the virtual console for the wii and 3DS to be completely seperate. Basically the wii is for home console emulation and the 3DS would be for handheld emulation. Although I respect the consumer's right to have what they want, but I will not buy any games for the 3DS virtual console that are available on the wii. :cool; 

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 01:02:32 PM »
I will not buy any games for the 3DS virtual console that are available on the wii. 
Then, don't.

I think separating them is a terrible idea. The selection of handheld games is limited and there are a lot of portable versions of console games that are just worse versions.

There should be one Virtual Console and games should be tied to an account so that games can be played on either console or handheld. And since 3DS is more powerful than every other handheld or non current generation console (which may or may not include the Wii, but that's besides the point), it should be able to emulate anything.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 02:52:59 PM »
Some old Game Boy classics would be nice. The Super Mario Lands, the Wario Lands, the Zeldas, the Kirbys, all of Nintendo's stuff would be great since a lot of it hasn't seen re-release.

And since 3DS is more powerful than every other handheld or non current generation console (which may or may not include the Wii, but that's besides the point), it should be able to emulate anything.
It isn't that simple. The 3DS has a smaller screen resolution than a television, so every game would have to be altered to fit on the screen. This would entail either chopping off a small portion of the screen, rendering the viewing area smaller, or smooshing the image together. Neither option is desirable.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 04:10:33 PM »
The pool of handheld games is by no means small. Yes, when compared to the ones available for the home console it is small, but there are a plentiful bounty of good handheld games which have never been re-released. I hopw it does come to fruitition.

Game Gear game:

Shining Force Gaiden: Final Conflict
Dragon Crystal
Phantasy Star Gaiden
Formula One
Captain America and the Avengers
Megaman
Sonic the Hedgehog: Triple Trouble
Sonic Chaos
Sonic the Hedgehog 1 and 2

Neo Geo Pocket Color:

Dark Arms
Sonic Pocket Adventure
Neo Turf Masters
Samurai Showdown 1 and 2
Pac Man
Snk vs Capcom: Match of the Millenium
Metal Slug: First Mission
BioMotor: Unitron
Sonic the Hedgehog: Pocket Adventure
Magical Drop Pocket
Crush Roller
Turf Masters
Faselie
King of Fighters R-2

It appears that there is enough similarity between the d-pad of the Neo Geo Pocket Colr and the slide pad of the 3DS that NGPC games could be easily accomodated on the 3DS.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 04:39:19 PM by Kytim89 »

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 05:31:58 PM »
Some of the Game Gear games are available in Sonic Adventure DX, Sonic Classic Collection, Sonic Mega Collection Plus, and Sonic Gems Collection.
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 07:27:23 PM »
And since 3DS is more powerful than every other handheld or non current generation console (which may or may not include the Wii, but that's besides the point), it should be able to emulate anything.
It isn't that simple. The 3DS has a smaller screen resolution than a television, so every game would have to be altered to fit on the screen. This would entail either chopping off a small portion of the screen, rendering the viewing area smaller, or smooshing the image together. Neither option is desirable.
Booooo-urns. You cut the more important line of my statement.  My suggestion is that there is 1 VC so games are interchangeable between handheld and console, so you'd still be able to experience the game on a television. I like the idea of only having the buy a game once and having the option of taking it on the go (and more importantly, onto new devices, next gen or revision). Also, I don't think the games would have to be cropped at all, especially on the 3DS'sesses top screen. Most previous generation console games are native 4:3 aspect ratio (the bottom screen is 4:3 from what I've gathered on the interwebz). There would be bars on the side. I think most games would still be playable. It may not be ideal, but what matters would be that it's there. Multiplayer is out because code would have to be rewritten for wireless play which I doubt most publishers would be willing to do. The point, though, is that all games are available across both platforms and you only have to pay the price of admission once. How is this a bad thing?

The pool of handheld games is by no means small. Yes, when compared to the ones available for the home console it is small, but there are a plentiful bounty of good handheld games which have never been re-released.
But if you had both handheld and console games available on 1 Virtual Console, you have every game at your disposal.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 07:59:54 PM »
Isn't the resolution of the 3DS top screen 400x240 (not counting the 3D resolution of 800 since that's used for the 3D effect and could not be used to display a game at 800)? A television is 640x480 at minimum. It wouldn't fit without modification.

I am not saying that it isn't a good idea or that I wouldn't want it, I am saying that it'd be a lot of work for Nintendo and therefore I don't see it happening. Every game would have to be reprogrammed to run on the smaller resolution, which would be too much work, unless maybe they are going to charge for the games separately. Plus, Nintendo doesn't want a download game to be playable on more than one system for various reasons, including possible abuse through hacking.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2010, 08:23:31 PM »
Isn't the resolution of the 3DS top screen 400x240 (not counting the 3D resolution of 800 since that's used for the 3D effect and could not be used to display a game at 800)? A television is 640x480 at minimum. It wouldn't fit without modification.

I am not saying that it isn't a good idea or that I wouldn't want it, I am saying that it'd be a lot of work for Nintendo and therefore I don't see it happening. Every game would have to be reprogrammed to run on the smaller resolution, which would be too much work, unless maybe they are going to charge for the games separately. Plus, Nintendo doesn't want a download game to be playable on more than one system for various reasons, including possible abuse through hacking.

All of those handheld consoles use a LCD screen and they would be better accomodated on the screens of the 3DS then anything else. To me, a virtual handheld service is the perfect situation for the 3DS.

I mean imagine playing back lighteed Neo Geo PC, game gear, gameboy/color and advanced games without using up large amounts of battery power.

Also, if the wii 2 is going to have dreamcast virtual console support, perhaps the 3DS could incorporate VMU into its virtual handheld service to go along side the wii 2.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 08:37:28 PM by Kytim89 »

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2010, 08:34:22 PM »
I've done a little research, and it looks like I was wrong. I was under the impression that, even though consoles like NES and SNES have resolutions in the 200s, they still output a 640x480 signal. But it looks like that is not the case.

So, NES, SNES, and N64 could all fit on the 3DS lower screen, which is 320x240 - the exact same as most N64 games.

Now, this doesn't take into account that VC games are designed for the Wii emulators. The 3DS would use different emulators and therefore the whole catalogue would have to be reprogrammed for use on 3DS. And that isn't worth it, unless they charge for them.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2010, 08:48:13 PM »
And if they are going to make us buy them again, then I want 3D effects on ALL games...even if it means simple effects...I want something more for having to rebuy them. 

You might as well get that thought out of your head because there is no chance of that happening. Nintendo has made it clear that VC games will not be modified unless they have too (like removing the Kawasaki ads in Wave Race 64).

Console games are unlikely to happen either, one big reason being that they would have to spend time and money to change the game's resolution to fit the 3DS (either that or have black bars on the screen).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2010, 09:00:59 PM »

You might as well get that thought out of your head because there is no chance of that happening. Nintendo has made it clear that VC games will not be modified unless they have too (like removing the Kawasaki ads in Wave Race 64).

Console games are unlikely to happen either, one big reason being that they would have to spend time and money to change the game's resolution to fit the 3DS (either that or have black bars on the screen).

If the handheld consoles stayed on the virtual console of the 3DS they would not have to have their resolutions tinkered with, right?

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2010, 09:06:07 PM »
Now, this doesn't take into account that VC games are designed for the Wii emulators. The 3DS would use different emulators and therefore the whole catalogue would have to be reprogrammed for use on 3DS. And that isn't worth it, unless they charge for them.
I assumed it was too late to do anything with the Wii. Nintendo didn't have the foresight to allow VC games to be transferred in anyway (as far as we know) or maybe they did it intentionally knowing many fans will buy Super Mario Bros. 3 as many times and ways as Nintendo is willing to release it. I'm suggesting a new system for buying downloaded games for 3DS and the successor of the Wii. Different emulators are inevitable, but I'm sure an account system that recognizes that you purchased games wouldn't be hard to implement. Communication between handheld and console that transfers save states may even be possible.

It seems like Nintendo all but gave up on handheld/console connectivity after the experiment failed to take off with GCN/GBA. However, I think they can make it work with proper planning. Having a unified Virtual Console and Ware store is one way. Of course, some games will have to be exclusive (due to touchscreen support etc.).

Offline BwrJim!

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2010, 02:36:10 AM »
Or the next wii will simply be a slip cover for a tv to allow 3d gaming without glasses.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 02:07:38 PM »
Or the next wii will simply be a slip cover for a tv to allow 3d gaming without glasses.

This is simultaneously the stupidest and most brilliant idea I've ever heard.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010, 06:49:55 AM »

This is simultaneously the stupidest and most brilliant idea I've ever heard.

I will un-strike those when everyone's TV is the same size. Not to say that it is the stupidest idea I've heard (that honor goes to whoever decided that making a 3d animated Pac Man feature was a good idea) nor to say that it was stupid at all. I just don't think it is very feasible.
Bless you, my child.
Please turn the power OFF.

And Jonny, you don't ride the giant Cheep-Cheep

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 11:02:35 AM »
What's a Vitual console?
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 09:15:13 PM »

I disagree.  Nintendo showed off several classic games that displayed a 3D effect...showing people how even classic games could be changed and potentially improved with 3D.  If Nintendo has developed an algorithm or something that can take the individual scrolling levels of games and allow developers to quickly and easily tweak them for 3D or better...the slide bar do it....then all 3DS virtual console games could be modified this way.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2010, 09:24:27 PM »
The only classic games they actually showed were the N64 ports that they confirmed as retail games, everything else were tech demos.

Adding 3D would not be as simple as you describe, they would have to manually change each game and they would not do that (at least if they don't want to charge even more). It would be interesting if they did it, but the chances are slim-to-none that they would do it. I also don't see them changing the policy they have for VC games on Wii.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2010, 05:17:23 AM »

But there is a precedent. Pokemon Snap had modification to allow you to send pictures to your Wii message board.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2010, 05:27:27 PM »
I don't know if that counts as a modification. Pokémon Snap already had the ability to transfer picture data to a device; the original game could transfer photos to a Pokémon sticker center machine. I imagine that the VC version is using that same code, only pictures are sent to the Wii Message Board.

Now, the fact that the framerate was fixed in StarFox 64 could count as a modification. But I think that sort of thing is the extent of what we are going to see, as it's pretty easy to do. Nintendo may fix glitches and things to get games working well, but I highly doubt they would spend the time to enhance games.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2010, 09:53:46 PM »
I am just wondering...is it really impossible to create a 3D effect, or even a code to look at find layers in a game and adjust it for 3D effect.  I am not saying it would be Earth shattering 3D.  Just something that might make it look more like paper cut out Diorama.  The layers are already separated out in code. 

I guess it could literally be impossible, or the effect would not to worth trying...but I really don't know I am just trying to think outside the box...and just because it hasn't been done doesn't mean it can't.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2010, 11:06:58 PM »
It's not impossible to add 3D, but they would have to manually add it to every game they want to do it. That alone takes time and money (especially since they would have to do addition bug testing). So even if Nintendo does a 3DS VC and allows them to add 3D, I don't know how many publishers who would actually do it.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2010, 03:33:19 PM »
Well, they'd already be making money off of porting the game, which shouldn't be that costly. If it were easy enough to do, developers could justify a premium cost for an old game just because it has 3D. One of those possible, but really improbable deals.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.