Author Topic: Episode 201: Refractory Period  (Read 12627 times)

Offline Bboy

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 201: Refractory Period
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2010, 12:26:23 AM »
Thanks guys! I guess I didn't need that whole self-conscious preamble to the story I submitted. I'm glad you guys liked it. Personally, I think it would be awesome if you did a podcast dramatization of it.

I'm considering what I'm going to do with King of Clubs. I hadn't really thought about it. Do I dare put it on display with my other games, and risk it infecting them? Also James, PM me about sending it, if you're just gonna put it in the mail or whatever.

If Jonny's out this week, then maybe the episodes go 103, 202, 301? At least then it's palindromic. Karl's probably right though, spontaneity is what made it funny.

Offline happyastoria

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2010, 02:11:00 PM »
Clearly the remedy here is for Greg to buy a Mac.

One of us. One of us. One of us.

You are aware that Greg is a heterosexual man. Why on earth would he get a mac unless he was attracted to the same sex? Silly questions needs silly responses. A mac? Ha!

By the way, can we still submit DS stories?

Gay jokes, really? Okay.

Anyway, Apple Customer Service has a pretty bad record when it comes to dealing with Windows-related issues. They're great for OS X, but there's no denying that air of pretentiousness. It might be worth it to just go about things in another way.

Dude, That's funny! You have no sense of humor, but then again, I think that's the reason I didn't win the contest. It seemed I "offended" people with my story.

Is it just me or The Drunkcast story is not all that shocking. I listened to it two times and all I did was shrug. Maybe it's just me.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2010, 02:16:31 PM »
Yeah, Neal told me and Andy, and I don't understand why Jonny or Greg or whoever didn't want it aired. I did, however, get to make a hilarious DIY game based on the story, though.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline happyastoria

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2010, 02:23:53 PM »
Yeah, Neal told me and Andy, and I don't understand why Jonny or Greg or whoever didn't want it aired. I did, however, get to make a hilarious DIY game based on the story, though.

All I got from the story is that Jonny is sort of awkward with girls. :confused;

Offline NWR_Karl

• Red Velvet
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2010, 02:26:13 PM »
Yeah, I told them that by holding it back, they were building it up too much. It's a funny story, but the way they were making it seem, you'd think Jonny and I got into a knife fight while Lindy, Sklens, and Neal shot pistols into the air.

I'm not really sure why they decided to not air it for everyone, either. We tell WAY worse stories on Rough Draught.

Also, for the record, it's not that Jonny is awkward with girls, it's that we were all pretty hammered. It's hard to be smooth when you're rocking a drunkard's limp.
----
Karl Castaneda
Associated Raconteur

Offline happyastoria

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2010, 02:39:46 PM »
Yeah, I told them that by holding it back, they were building it up too much. It's a funny story, but the way they were making it seem, you'd think Jonny and I got into a knife fight while Lindy, Sklens, and Neal shot pistols into the air.

I'm not really sure why they decided to not air it for everyone, either. We tell WAY worse stories on Rough Draught.

Also, for the record, it's not that Jonny is awkward with girls, it's that we were all pretty hammered. It's hard to be smooth when you're rocking a drunkard's limp.

You're right, I'm having trouble editing my post and even singing in, but I understand the site is under construction. I was going to edit and put in that he was drunk. Also, I agree they hyped it up too much. It's good, but it would have been a better impact if it was left in the original podcast.

It's funny how my story was the complete opposite. Let's just say it involves an act every man does.

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2010, 02:45:19 PM »
PAX East Circle-Jerk set to chiptunes?
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2010, 02:51:31 PM »
I was just embarrassed for them all. Not Jon, he has no shame, but the rest of them certainly.

Sadly, there will be no PAX Prime grappling. We were turned down (again!).
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline happyastoria

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2010, 02:57:07 PM »

Dude, I was reading The Village Voice (I believe) a couple of years ago, and it told a story on a group of soldiers in the Iraq war who was so bored they had a circle jerk.

Offline Bboy

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2010, 03:02:21 PM »
o_o

We tell WAY worse stories on Rough Draught.
Another   podcast?

Sadly, there will be no PAX Prime grappling. We were turned down   (again!).
They're just some West coast haters...

Offline NWR_Karl

• Red Velvet
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2010, 03:26:36 PM »
o_o

We tell WAY worse stories on Rough Draught.
Another   podcast?

Sadly, there will be no PAX Prime grappling. We were turned down   (again!).
They're just some West coast haters...

Yeah, Sklens and I (among others) do a monthly beer-tasting podcast called Rough Draught. There's a segment called Tales of Drunkenness where we tell embarrassing drinking stories. On the most recent episode, Mike and I actually told the drunkcast story (as well as another, unrelated story). You can find it over at Crosstawk.com.
----
Karl Castaneda
Associated Raconteur

Offline Halbred

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2010, 03:32:18 PM »

Dude, I was reading The Village Voice (I believe) a couple of years ago, and it told a story on a group of soldiers in the Iraq war who was so bored they had a circle jerk.

*twitch*

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2010, 06:12:34 PM »
Hyping up the story and holding it back was all part of the fun. Of course it wasn't really "too shocking" to air, but if there hadn't been any mystery or anticipation surrounding it, we wouldn't have got some of the really amusing and creative stories that we did--obviously it would have been nice to receive a few more entries, but the ones we did get made it worthwhile.

The only reason why I didn't include the story in an episode for everyone is because I set up the contest rules to incentivise listeners to exercise their creativity in an amusing way, and then I had to follow through on those rules (like the Joker I'm a man of my word, but when it comes to winning a prize like King of Clubs I'm afraid we have to live in a world with rules).
Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor

Offline adadad

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2010, 10:15:45 PM »
Well congrats to Bboy for winning the contest! As for what to do when you get the game, surely there's nothing for it other than to take your balls and go home! I have to say I was expecting there to be dramatic readings of the winning entry at least, but I'm guessing some of the stories were quite lengthy? Still Bboy if you wanted to you I'm sure it'd be ok for you to post your story on here for all to admire. I agree that the drunkcast was somewhat tamer than I had been led to expect but it still managed to be plenty better than the inoffensive story I sent in! Clearly I don't possess the dirtiest mind in the forums by a long shot. All this Victorian erotica I have lying around at the moment is clearly not having the effect I thought it would...

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2010, 10:43:42 PM »
Bboy, I am looking at your copy of King of Clubs right now.  I dug it out of the concrete bunker this afternoon and have begun to disinfect the game.  You should probably go ahead and move now, because I'll be mailing it tomorrow and your home will never be safe again once it arrives.

I think my Wii is worried that it's in the same room as this game yet again.  I know I am.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline jrlibrarian

• Small Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2010, 11:30:33 PM »
Bboy, I am looking at your copy of King of Clubs right now.  I dug it out of the concrete bunker this afternoon and have begun to disinfect the game.  You should probably go ahead and move now, because I'll be mailing it tomorrow and your home will never be safe again once it arrives.

I think my Wii is worried that it's in the same room as this game yet again.  I know I am.

Does it still smell like paint thinner? Or was that just Miami Nights?
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2010, 12:34:42 AM »
I dare not sniff this game.  It is unclean.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2010, 12:39:33 AM »
Were you guys really surprised at the low turnout? Even the WSR contest was won by a handful of votes and that was on the front page for weeks.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2010, 07:16:01 AM »
Were you guys really surprised at the low turnout?

Given that it was for King of Clubs, in a word: "no"
Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2010, 09:15:21 AM »
I think back when we announced the contest I protested revealing the prize.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2010, 08:41:46 PM »
The first and last letter of mine to ever be read on RFN involved the accusation of me recreating my manhood in pictochat to lure an unsuspecting female. I am pleased with my legacy.

Hey, if you're going out, go out on top, right?

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2010, 12:02:03 AM »
The first and last letter of mine to ever be read on RFN involved the accusation of me recreating my manhood in pictochat to lure an unsuspecting female. I am pleased with my legacy.

Hey, if you're going out, go out on top, right?

That has to be double entendre.
Bless you, my child.
Please turn the power OFF.

And Jonny, you don't ride the giant Cheep-Cheep

Offline Bboy

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2010, 09:01:50 PM »

I'm more concerned for the poor mail workers.

Do people want me to post the story? It probably ruins all chances of a reenactment then.

Offline Crimm

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2010, 09:45:11 AM »
Hold off for a bit. I have plans.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline noname2200