Poll

Which game should RFN podcasters and listeners play and discuss together?

Mother 3
24 (40.7%)
Drill Dozer
7 (11.9%)
Pokemon Pinball Ruby/Sapphire
4 (6.8%)
Golden Sun: The Lost Age (a.k.a. Golden Sun 2)
7 (11.9%)
Sonic Advance 3
4 (6.8%)
Mario Tennis: Power Tour
13 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Voting closed: July 08, 2010, 02:43:29 PM

Author Topic: RetroActive #13 Poll -- GBA Edition  (Read 34975 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
RetroActive #13 Poll -- GBA Edition
« on: June 25, 2010, 02:43:29 PM »
I'm very pleased to announce the six (yes, SIX) nominees for our next   RetroActive feature. You pick the game, we play it, and everyone   discusses it together on both the forums and Radio Free Nintendo.

Mother   3
English Translation Patch at http://mother3.fobby.net/

Drill Dozer (last chance)
http://www.amazon.com/Drill-Dozer-Game-Boy-Advance/dp/B000CNESH6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1277406517&sr=8-1
    http://www.gamestop.com/browse/search.aspx?N=0&Ntk=TitleKeyword&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntt=drill%20dozer

Pokemon Pinball Ruby/Sapphire
http://www.amazon.com/Pokemon-Pinball-Sapphire-Game-Boy-Advance/dp/B00009WAUN/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1277406594&sr=1-1
    http://www.gamestop.com/browse/search.aspx?N=0&Ntk=TitleKeyword&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntt=pokemon%20pinball

Golden Sun 2: The Lost Age
http://www.amazon.com/Golden-Sun-Lost-Game-Boy-Advance/dp/B00008KU9Z/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1277406625&sr=1-1
    http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=26314

Sonic     Advance 3
http://www.amazon.com/Sonic-Advance-3-Game-Boy/dp/B0001615P2/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1277406660&sr=1-1
    http://www.gamestop.com/browse/search.aspx?N=0&Ntk=TitleKeyword&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntt=sonic%20advance%203

Mario Tennis: Power Tour
http://www.amazon.com/Mario-Tennis-Power-Game-Boy-Advance/dp/B0009Z3MH4/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1277406687&sr=1-1
    http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=39384

Notes:
-   If Mother 3 is selected, we cannot help you find the game, only link to   the English translation patch.
  - Mario Tennis might seem like an   odd choice, but that's the game Stan Ferguson  reviewed with a score of   10. It's a hybrid RPG/tennis game, developed by Camelot (who also made   another nominee, Golden Sun: The Lost Age).
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 03:08:31 PM by Yoshidious »
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
Re: RetroActive #12 Poll -- GBA Edition
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 02:50:36 PM »
MOTHER 3 MOTHER 3 MOTHER 3

I've had this game for over a year but haven't found the excuse to play it.  This seems like the perfect opportunity!

-   If Mother 3 is selected, we cannot help you find the game, only link to   the English translation patch.

-   If Mother 3 is selected, I can help you find the game.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline NWR_Karl

• Red Velvet
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 02:52:41 PM »
Keep in mind, folks, a vote for Mario Tennis is a vote to get Stan Ferguson BACK on Radio Free Nintendo. You know in your hearts how you must vote.

TEAM STAN.
----
Karl Castaneda
Associated Raconteur

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 02:54:11 PM »
I voted for Mother 3, if only because I don't really care about any of the other games on the list and it could generate some nice discussion.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 03:05:25 PM »
Going to vote for Golden Sun:The Lost Age since it is the only game of those that I have. Drill Dozer would be interesting to read about.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 03:08:31 PM »
# Drill Dozer

Fun game.  Dunno if I'd jump at the chance to play it again though.

# Pokemon Pinball Ruby/Sapphire

'meh.

# Golden Sun: The Lost Age (a.k.a. Golden Sun 2)

Don't have this and could never get through the first one... RPGs have to try really hard to keep my attention...

# Sonic Advance 3

'meh.

# Mario Tennis: Power Tour

I vote for this one.

# Mother 3
NO.  While I understand the fact that there are semi-legitimate ways to play though this game, I highly doubt the majority of the people will care about any of those.  Granted, I highly doubt post people did for Metroid II...  Basically, if this one gets picked, there's a 100% chance I will not participate - and I'm  sure there's a  few others like me. :(
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Crimm

• Get your unfiltered Bowsette here!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 1147
    • View Profile
Re: RetroActive #13 Poll -- GBA Edition
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 03:19:36 PM »
I really like Golden Sun, and I'm partially through a replay of the first title. If I think 2 is going to make a run at it I'll blitz through 1 to import my stuff.
James Jones
Mondo Editor
Nintendo World Report

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 03:30:55 PM »
Golden Sun? PUKE.

I'm going with Pokemon because it's Pokemon, and I have a genuine problem.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 04:26:53 PM »
Weird choices for the poll, in my view... but I digress. The only one of those I own is Golden Sun: The Lost Age, but my cartridge has gone walkabout, which is a problem. I might vote for Mother 3, although I'll have to look into alternative methods of playing it if I do.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 08:12:55 PM »
Drill Dozer to keep it alive, and because it's the rarest of animals on this list.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 10:19:26 PM »
No on Mother 3. A game that requires people to import from Japan is reason enough not to include it (pricey to import it), add in that you have to download a translation (and likely violate copyright law if you try and alter the gamecode to translate it) is another. The only other option is 100% illegal (downloading a ROM of the game).

Since I don't have a GBA and the DSi has no GBA slot, I will likely be sitting this one out unless I can gt a phat DS (which I plan to do eventually). If I am able to get a way to legally play GBA games, I would want to play and talk about Pokemon Pinball: Ruby & Sapphire; if not, I would like to hear RFN discuss Golden Sun: The Lost Age.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2010, 10:34:18 PM »
If Mario Tennis wins, I promise to go on long rants about how much worse it is than the Game Boy Color one.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2010, 10:42:39 PM »
You could get a Game Boy Player TJ. It does play all GBA games as well as GB and GBC games.:)
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2010, 10:43:57 PM »
I was going to say that these seem like strange choices, but then I remembered that few notable games were released on the GBA.

If Mario Tennis wins, I promise to go on long rants about how much worse it is than the Game Boy Color one.
Is it really? I haven't played the GBA one, but I have the GBC one and thought it was okay. I might actually vote for it, because I plan to get it at some point as a part of my goal to own all Mario games.

Offline jrlibrarian

• Small Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2010, 02:55:32 PM »
I won't be able to participate in this, as I have absolutely no money in my budget for games right now, and I don't have any of these. However, I will vote for Mario Tennis because, like Karl, I want Stan back on RFN.

TEAM STAN
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2010, 03:20:34 PM »
I'm torn. I've always wanted to play Drill Dozer, but I really loved Mother 3 and would love to see the RFN crew be forced to play it.

I'm going with my gut...
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline mac<censored>

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2010, 03:38:27 PM »
Mother 3 is the only choice which is in the least bit interesting...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2010, 01:18:21 AM »
I was going to say that these seem like strange choices, but then I remembered that few notable games were released on the GBA.

You really think that? You may not have liked a lot of them, but the GBA had tons of notable games.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2010, 06:08:58 AM »
I for one have no interest in playing Golden Sun: The Lost Age shortly before the DS Golden Sun game comes out. Also, I agree that proposing Mother 3 is a foolhardy idea--there's no legitimate way to own it, everyone will vote for it because it's the cool thing to do online, and then no one will play / talk about it in the forums.

Sonic Advance 3 was the quirkiest of the trilogy, and I'd be interested in hearing what the crew thinks of the various controls for the character team-ups. Jonny says Sonic Colors for the DS is the first Sonic game he has a strong interest in, but I'm not sure how many of the Dimps portable Sonic games he's tried out.... Drill Dozer is super-awesome, but I played a good portion of it recently and wouldn't want to revisit it right now.

P.S.: How the hell did two Camelot games wind up on this list?!
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2010, 04:27:56 AM »
Wait, you have Mother 3, a game you have to pirate to play in there but no Ninja Five-O? At least NFO can be bought legally and played.

Seriously, disqualify Mother 3, you can't legally get that game and play it in English.

If you want a game you can reasonably get take Boktai 1 or 2 (that had TONS of surplus stock in stores here so it should be easy to find cheaply), since most people haven't played that it'd probably be something interesting and new to delve into.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 04:30:22 AM by KDR_11k »

Offline SouthFork

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2010, 09:57:20 AM »
Oh Young Plumber don't you see that the reason people would want to play Golden Sun is to get ready for the new one. Kinda like re-watching Police Academy 4 before part 5 came out.

Reason 2: It's cheap and easy to find.

Reason 3: We all need a little sunshine to brighten our day.

Offline gojira

• Score: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2010, 12:28:17 PM »
At first I wasn't too enamored with the line up.  I heard the Pokemon Pinball games are good, but they've never excited me.  I remember loving Golden Sun, but I have no desire to play through a RPG right now.  I don't care for Sonic games.  And Mother 3 has never interested me at all.  So at first I voted for Drill Dozer because I really enjoy the game (although my rumble is going out).  But then I ended up on Mario Tennis.  I never played any Mario Tennis, and the RPG side of it sounds interesting.

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2010, 01:06:01 PM »
i got bored of drill dozer after like the 3rd mission. the gimmick was ok, but not something to really sustain it.

Mother 3 seems really interesting.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2010, 02:59:40 PM »
Wait, you have Mother 3, a game you have to pirate to play in there but no Ninja Five-O? At least NFO can be bought legally and played.

Seriously, disqualify Mother 3, you can't legally get that game and play it in English.

If you want a game you can reasonably get take Boktai 1 or 2 (that had TONS of surplus stock in stores here so it should be easy to find cheaply), since most people haven't played that it'd probably be something interesting and new to delve into.

I want to respond to all three of your points. First, Ninja Five-O is prohibitively expensive to acquire in cartridge form, and as an action game, it is not well-suited for emulators. Otherwise, it would be the perfect game for RetroActive, but I have to consider availability.

Second, it is legal to import Mother 3 from Japan, and it is almost certainly legal to hack your own copy with an English translation patch, or else play through the game using a translation guide. Yes, I am aware that most people will not go to that much trouble and will take the easier route of piracy. While I do not condone any kind of piracy in general, I personally would not feel guilty about playing Mother 3 via emulation considering it has never been released outside Japan. If Nintendo ever releases it in the West, I will be first in line (well maybe second, after the Starmen fanatics) to pay for my own copy in English. We have seen no indication whatsoever that Nintendo has any intention of doing so. If my choice is between emulating a game or never playing it at all, I am willing to consider the former as a special case. I thought there might be enough RFN listeners who agree that it would be worthwhile including Mother 3 on this list. Of course, some people will disagree, and you are free to express that opinion through your vote as well as here in the comments. But I will not disqualify it from the poll. You are factually incorrect on these three key statements: you do NOT have to pirate the game, you CAN legally acquire the game, and you CAN legally play it in English.

On the subject of Boktai, I have long planned to include Lunar Knights in the DS poll and thus chose to omit its predecessors from the GBA poll.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2010, 03:25:51 PM »
The translation is a derivative work of Mother 3 and thus copyright infringing anyway.