Author Topic: Worthy WiiWare Games  (Read 10128 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Worthy WiiWare Games
« on: April 08, 2010, 04:30:11 PM »
So as I hope most of you have seen, we're almost done with the week-long feature on the best of DSiWare games. If you haven't seen it, it's right here and totally awesome.

Since WiiWare is turning 2 this May, we're planning a similar (but better!) feature for the best games on that downloadable service. And since we missed Pop Island in our totally awesome DSiWare feature, we're going to you, the forum member (that's right, you!), and asking what are your favorite WiiWare games?

Note: No reason to mention World of Goo, NyxQuest, Bit.Trip, Art Style, or any other game that we'd be stupid not to have in there. We're looking for the hidden gems, yo. The ones we'd never think to buy.

Also, I can't gurrantee that all your picks will make it into the feature, but we will look into everything mentioned here.

Did I mention how totally awesome that DSiWare feature is?

Final Note: Since shameless plugs are against the forum rules (right?), do I get in trouble for pimping the totally awesome DSiWare feature? I mean, it is totally awesome. Not unlike this.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: Worthy WiiWare Games
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 04:39:21 PM »
Aside from the obvious (most of which you listed, and I'm willing to bet Cave Story's on there as well), I'd nominate the Phoenix Wright DS ports.  Yeah, they're ports and it's obvious they didn't put that much work into them.  Still, as Adventure games with seas of text I've found that they work a lot better when played relaxed on the couch via a big TV than hunched over on a tiny DS screen.  The games also look quite good considering their source, about on par with the old GameBoy Player resizing, and sound excellent.  And hey, at only 1,000 points apiece they're a pretty good deal.  Pity they take up so much space...

Man, I really need to get a new SD card that can store all these increasingly huge WiiWare/VC titles.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 04:52:09 PM »
Personally I think World of Goo is over-rated, and I know I am not alone. It's not a bad game, but it's not as great as some people claim and is not worth 1500 points.

A title that I feel gets slammed way too much is Defend Your Castle. It was a WiiWare launch game (at least in North America) and is 500 points. It may not be the deepest game on the service, but it's a fun little game when you're in the mood for a game that doesn't require a lot of thinking. The game can actually become challenging, especially if you don't think about what you choose to buy with upgrades and it's fun to see how far you can get.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 05:07:38 PM »
I'm enjoying the DSiWare feature, but to be honest it's not much of a "best of" list.  In the first 4 days you've listed a total of 28 games.  There's only about 100 DSiWare games total and at least 50 of them don't really count because they're either My Note Book titles, Express games or just pure crap.  That means that roughly 60% of the games have made your "best of" list and there's still one day left in the countdown!

Personally, I'd much rather you narrowed the list down to 10 or so games that truly shine.  Since WiiWare has been around for a bit longer you might need to expand that list to 20 games or maybe do something like a top 5 in each category (platformer, puzzle, etc.).  I'd also like to see a couple different takes on each game (assuming more than one of you has played it).  Maybe have two or three people rate each game from 1 to 5 stars--it'd be nice to know if the game is universally loved or if's just Neal with his hard-on for ArtStyle games.  :)
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 05:08:54 PM »
Personally I think World of Goo is over-rated, and I know I am not alone.

**** you, **** you, **** you.  World of Goo is my game of the year for 2008.  Not WiiWare GOTY.  Not Wii GOTY.  Overall GOTY.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 05:10:27 PM »
I may buy Pokemon Rumble specifically for this feature.

Also because I'm currently addicted to Pokemon HeartGold.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 05:29:51 PM »
Personally I think World of Goo is over-rated, and I know I am not alone.

**** you, **** you, **** you.  World of Goo is my game of the year for 2008.  Not WiiWare GOTY.  Not Wii GOTY.  Overall GOTY.

;D

I'm with TJ Spyke: great game, but still overrated.

This probably falls under the "we'd be stupid not to include it" category, but Swords and Soldiers should definitely be on the list.

Also, (and this stuns me) Target Toss Pro: Bags is a surprisingly fun party game that's always overlooked. The problem is, you need at least four folks to really get it going.

For those with OCD, My Life as a King is great. According to the Nintendo Channel, it's my most played game at over 200 hours.  :Q It's somehow got that "one more day!" element that's so elusive, but soooooo good.

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 05:36:21 PM »
I'm not sure if this would be filed under 'The Obvious', but nevertheless I would appreciate a mention for Swords & Soldiers (still my favourite WiiWare game). A splendid synthesis of the deep strategy we are accustomed to from the RTS genre with a streamlined control scheme and interface. And despite all the modes, wonderful art assets and high fidelity music, it's only 140 blocks (give or take a few) of memory.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 06:38:54 PM »
Bomberman Blast is a fantastic multiplayer game, both online and local (8 player local multiplayer!).
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 06:45:41 PM »
i can say that I've put countless hours into a game called Same Game.
It's a puzzle game where you match up colors to get rid of them.
Big color combos get you a bigger score, strategic color removal deepens your strategy.
Multiplayer is great and I currently hold the hi-score in my house(8 hours of straight playtime <i paused and took breaks> to get to my high score, but I over planned and took my time between moves.).

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 08:45:23 PM »
Yes, yes... I know many of these fall into the obvious category... but it's easier for me to provide a full list of games that I thought were significant in different ways over the past year.  (Please note that being significant doesn't mean they are all "great" games, but they were at least interesting for one reason or another.)

In alphabetical order:

• Art of Balance
  • Bit.Trip series
  • Blaster Master: Overdrive
  • Bonsai Barber
  • Bubble Bobble Plus!
  • Cave Story
  • Equilibrio
  • Final Fantasy IV: The After Years
  • LostWinds: Winter of the Melodias
  • Max & the Magic Marker
  • Muscle March
  • NyxQuest: Kindred Spirits
  • Rage of the Gladiator
  • ReBirth series (Castlevania, Gradius, Contra)
  • Rubik's Puzzle Galaxy: RUSH
  • Swords & Soldiers
  • Tales of Monkey Island series
  • Tomena Sanner
  • Uno
  • Water Warfare
  • You, Me, and the Cubes

Some trends that I thought were interesting include:
  • taking advantage of rarely used Wii peripherals (WiiSpeak, Motion+, Balance Board)
  • highly experiments (and sometimes "Japanese") games
  • continued excellence from unique puzzle games
  • retro revival
  • entire series of related games being released digitally  (Monkey Island series vs Sam & Max)
  • movement between physical and digital medium (Rubik's Puzzle Galaxy and Groovin' Block)
NNID: ejamer

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 10:24:14 PM »
I'd like to show love to 8-Bit Is Enough - the last episode of Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People.

It's the strongest of the 5 episodes by far and does hold up pretty well as a 1000pt standalone game even if you missed the first part. There's a lot of references to classic gaming tropes and at some points becomes the Wii's answer to Retro Game Challenge.

Plus, it has Trogdor. What's not to love?
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 02:26:57 AM »
I liked Onslaught despite RFN claims that it's like a rail shooter (it isn't).

I also enjoyed Pokemon Rumble but I guess it's not for everybody, think of it as a game like Diablo and you'll be less annoyed by the differences to regular Pokemon.

Toki Tori is often overlooked but totally awesome.

Contra Rebirth wasn't mentioned yet. Fixing.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 02:30:31 AM by KDR_11k »

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010, 02:46:52 AM »
As someone who has a hard time getting into Pokémon anymore (played *way* too much of it when Red/Blue came out), I have to say, Pokémon Rumble was a blast.

Also, much love to Carnival King: Big Top Shooter.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2010, 03:31:15 AM »
The only WiiWare game I enjoyed was ExciteBike World Rally, but that one is probably significant enough that I needn't mention it.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2010, 04:02:59 AM »
i can say that I've put countless hours into a game called Same Game.
It's a puzzle game where you match up colors to get rid of them.
Big color combos get you a bigger score, strategic color removal deepens your strategy.
Multiplayer is great and I currently hold the hi-score in my house(8 hours of straight playtime <i paused and took breaks> to get to my high score, but I over planned and took my time between moves.).

I love samegame. I keep in on my Wii system menu because I like to fire it up real fast without going through the CD card channel to play it. Play it all the time.

Jungle Speed needs to be on there. It's an amazingly fun card game like a hybrid or uno, war and reflex card games like speed and spit. Special thanks to GP for introducing the game to me. My friends and sister tried it and now we all own in on our Wiis. It's very well made as well and has options for expanded rules and such.

Onslaught is very arcadey, but definitely not a rail shooter. I still haven't beaten it but it was rather fun.

The Monkey Island games are pure awesome and need to be referenced in some way for the feature. I found them much more enjoyable than Sam & Max or the Strong Bad games.

I'll also second the Phoenix Wright games. They got me to try the series and now I'm a huge fan. Plus it's a guilty pleasure for me to swing out the remote to object to things. :D

Defend Your Castle is very fun and well worth the price to get 4-player support. Playing with friends makes it all the funner and the competition to get to make the defense building decisions between rounds is a nice extra element.

World of Goo is amazingly awesome and I really now think that TJ and I have nearly opposite tastes. We are on opposite ends of the spectrum for a number of games including WoG and Majora's Mask among others. Now I want to go through and find all the games we disagree on.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2010, 04:21:10 AM »
Personally I think World of Goo is over-rated, and I know I am not alone. It's not a bad game, but it's not as great as some people claim and is not worth 1500 points.

ahahahahahahahahahaha what?

A title that I feel gets slammed way too much is Defend Your Castle. It was a WiiWare launch game (at least in North America) and is 500 points.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA WHAT?!
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2010, 07:55:36 AM »
Jungle Speed needs to be on there. It's an amazingly fun card game like a hybrid or uno, war and reflex card games like speed and spit. Special thanks to GP for introducing the game to me. My friends and sister tried it and now we all own in on our Wiis. It's very well made as well and has options for expanded rules and such.

Good call.  It's a solid board game conversion, and a great party game that allows up to 8 people to join in.

It kind of surprises me that WiiWare hasn't seen more board game conversions.  We've got Uno and Jungle Speed and Hey! That's My Fish... but I thought we might see a few more ranging from classic American game designs like Monopoly, Scrabble, Operation and even Hungry Hungry Hippos to lesser known designer games like Settlers of Catan* and Carcassonne*.

*Ok, I think Microsoft has rights to digital distribution for those two specific games, since they are both on XBLA... but there is a huge library of cool board games that could be transferred over to WiiWare pretty easily.  The biggest effort involved would be securing the rights.
NNID: ejamer

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2010, 11:04:50 AM »
Defend Your Castle is very fun and well worth the price to get 4-player support. Playing with friends makes it all the funner and the competition to get to make the defense building decisions between rounds is a nice extra element.

World of Goo is amazingly awesome and I really now think that TJ and I have nearly opposite tastes. We are on opposite ends of the spectrum for a number of games including WoG and Majora's Mask among others. Now I want to go through and find all the games we disagree on.

At least we agree on DYC.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2010, 11:17:01 AM »
Well, I talked about Tomena Sanner here.

Another Wiiware game I played a ton of is FFCC My Life as a Dark Lord. Here, let me copy-paste what I wrote somewhere else. I'm sorry, but apparently I didn't value brevity back then.

12 hours and 14 minutes. That's how long the gameplay record on the Nintendo Channel on my Wii says it took me to beat Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a Darklord. That makes it, by far, the longest single-player campaign of any Wiiware title I've played. Heck, it even beats several full retail Wii releases like MADWORLD (8 hours 45 minutes), Overlord: Dark Legend (7 hrs 16 min), or Punch-Out!! (6 hrs 1 min, first run through only).

Considering it's only 1000 pts (10 dollars), that's great value right there. And while before playing this game and Plants vs Zombies I would have argued that a 4 hr Wiiware platformer like LostWinds is better than a thousand hours playing tower defense games, I think those games have made me a tower defense fan. They both offer a more streamlined experience than most of the other games in that genre I've played, taking out the guesswork and the experimentation and making it more about strategy, in my opinion. When you fail, you can usually point out exactly what you did wrong, and succeed on the second try.

But whereas Plants vs Zombies is very casual, and very easy, MLAADL can be punishingly difficult IF you don't adopt the right strategy. So much so that I've read some people on the Internet claim the game is near impossible to finish without downloading extra items at 200pts a pop that make the game easier on the player.

In fact, the game is entirely possible to beat without those when you do have the right strategy, and thankfully the game constantly reminds you that if you're failing, you're doing it wrong (while giving you some pointers). Paying for the DLC is not necessary. I'd even say it's not recommended, as it would unbalance the game and would probably rob you of any feeling of accomplishment you might get when you finally succeed.

The game has you defend this lone tower against a series of invading "adventurers" on a quest to take you out as the Dark Lord. You build a series of floors equiped with booby traps, which you populate with monsters (up to three on a floor, but different types of floors have different capacities). The adventurers will arrive alone or in groups of 2 or 3 at a time, however only one adventurer will visit a floor at a time. The next adventurer, finding the floor occupied, will move on to the next one. An adventurer will remain on a floor until he has destroyed it, until he is killed or until a timer runs out (he'll then move on to the next floor).

At first you only have one type of floor, and one type of monster. Gradually, the game introduces new traps (some slow down the enemy, some reduce his speed, etc), new monsters, and new twists, for instance a rock-paper-scissor system (magic beats melee, melee beats ranged, and ranged beats magic). Before long you'll have to think not only about using the right monsters against the right adventurer type, but also about the way you structure your tower.

Your resources being limited, you must be careful how you manage your mana. You'll often have to decide if you're going to build a lot of floors with few monsters on them (effective against fast enemy types that don't spend a lot of time on each floor), or few floors with very powerful monsters on them (effective against tough but slow adventurers). Of course, the game will switch up adventurer types on you so you have to be ready to improvise...

MLAADL is a challenging game to be sure, but it's also perfectly fair. The game tells you everything to know in order to win (press + on the Wiimote to display everything you need to know about the pros and cons of each type of floor or monster), and when you fail, it offers advice concerning what you might have done wrong. It also allows you to make a few mistakes without completely messing up your chances of winning a level.

Grinding is also possible (this IS a Final Fantasy game after all), but also not necessary at all. All that's required is a head on your shoulders and the willingness to try another angle when your first strategy fails you. Few things feel as good as when you finally do beat a level that's given you trouble, when you are on the brink of failing to an adventurer with a sliver of health but you managed to preserve enough mana to add the weakest floor type and the weakest monster, but that is just enough to salvage victory.

And once you've completed the game and somehow that wasn't enough content for you, there is a mission pack and an extra chapter to download for 500pts each, but I haven't given in to that yet. But I probably will, because the game was damn good.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2010, 12:13:06 PM »
Wow. Thanks for all the responses, guys!

As for the comments about the DSiWare best-of, I didn't want to narrow it down to 10 games, because the impetus for that was at all the jokes about how DSiWare sucks. I have like 30 DSiWare games (some that are  trash, but still), and I love the service. I wanted to shine a spotlight on not just the 10 best games, most of which critics could guess, but also the stuff that may have gone past most people's radar.

The WiiWare feature is still being worked on, and we welcome all constructive criticism. I can say that I'll most likely bring the same ideas and thoughts to the DSiWare feature, and we'll probably have a list bigger than some of you might want.

My main logic through all of this is that if someone on staff likes a game enough to write about it, then we're not going to exclude it.

On the topic of the feature, would you guys want to see a Game of the Decade-style poll for Best WiiWare Game Thus Far?
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2010, 12:29:48 PM »
On the topic of the feature, would you guys want to see a Game of the Decade-style poll for Best WiiWare Game Thus Far?

Sure. Although you guys working on the feature would have the unpleasant task of picking just a handful of games for the poll, but if you're willing to do so, then by all means go for it.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2010, 12:32:14 PM »
Also, strangely enough, my hard-on for Art Style games doesn't extend to WiiWare. I only own Orbient, which I liked a lot, but I'm just not as fanatical about the non-portable entries.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2010, 01:49:36 PM »

Couldn't hurt, although the small number of titles makes "of the Decade" a little less meaningful than it should be.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2010, 01:51:36 PM »
Neal's HARD-ON for Art Style doesn't EXTEND to WiiWare. Brilliant!
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.