Author Topic: PlayStation Vita (PS Vita) - previously known as NGP  (Read 269492 times)

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
Re: PlayStation Vita (PS Vita) - previously known as NGP
« Reply #975 on: December 27, 2011, 01:10:22 AM »
Comparing solid state storage, such as SD cards and what Sony's using, to hard drives is ridiculous. It's going to be a long time before solid state will be anywhere near as cheap as hard drives on a per-GB level.

However, pointing out that you can get SD cards of the same size as Sony's proprietary ones at less than half the price is completely fair.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: December 27, 2011, 03:23:27 AM »
Sony's using an format similar to micro SD.  Two, you don't know the specs of it (I googled and found nothing) so depending on the transfer speed and read speed you'll end up with an variety of prices. 

Until an spec sheet is available you really can't compare the two since highend SD or even mSD cards can cost. 

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: December 27, 2011, 12:30:06 PM »
The point is to make money. Either its being done to scalp vita owners into buying these media cards at outrageous money which Sony then pockets, or its being done because this memory card is somehow secure against piracy. Or maybe its both those reasons, but either way somehow or another it all has to do with Sony making money in a way they couldn't do if they went with a more generic and readily available format like SD.
is your sanity...

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: December 28, 2011, 08:58:02 PM »
Somebody forgot to tell Sony this is a marathon, not a rocket skate sprint. PSV is getting out sold by the PSP. Looks like Sony couldn't avoid the price issue anymore than Nintendo could. Splitting the price and having such steep prices for mandatory memory didn't help along with a mostly western games line-up. For those wondering, no, it's not being supply side constrained.

Looks like Nintendo has so far successfully pulled a Final Fantasy 7 against Sony with Monster Hunter.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: December 28, 2011, 09:39:03 PM »
Nintendo sacrificed the front line to bait Sony with the $250 price point
then pulled the carpet up from under them by stealing Monster Hunter (3G and an upcoming 4)
and carpet bombed the entire area with a stellar lineup (MH3G, SM3DL & MK7)

Next the cleanup crew will follow through with executing any survivors on foot as the 3DS marches through town with Resident Evil Revelation, Kingdom Hearts, Tekken, Metal Gear Solid and the many other 3rd party titles that they announced are coming.

In retrospect, Iwata will probably be awarded a medal after everyone forgets the details of how it all started.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 09:41:33 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #980 on: December 29, 2011, 01:09:29 AM »
Don't think MH4 is exclusive, so far Capcom only announced an 3DS port but that doesn't stop them from making it multiplatform.

Or just renaming it and changing a few things like they already done.  Your really can't expect Capcom to toss away millions of fans (the last PSP MH game sold 4 1/2 milion).  So I'm expecting an MH Freedom 4 annoncement at E3 anyhow.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: December 29, 2011, 01:21:01 AM »
The important thing is that Monster Hunter is available on the 3DS now. This allows the 3DS to pull an increasing lead to the point where losing that one game stops mattering. Even if they had a MH at E3 for PSV, it would still be a year from release. By then 3DS would be insurmountable if current trends continue.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #982 on: December 29, 2011, 01:29:32 AM »
Oh yeah, there's going be three Tekken games for Vita (SF vs Tekken, Tekken vs SF, Tekken Tournament Tag 2) so that's out.  MGS 3DS isn't exclusive it's just an port of MGS3 which is already on three different systems.  Which really only left Resident Evil Revelation and Kingdom Hearts 3D.  Square hasn't ported any of it's games from system to system (well except for Recoded) so that one is an lock.  Capcom on the other hand is known to port it's games when sales disappoint so depending on how well RE R sales will determine if the Vita gets a port or not--Capcom's last RE game Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D sold 300Kish which isn't much.  RE Revelation looks to be the better game but only time will tell on on well it's going do.

Offline Ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #983 on: December 29, 2011, 01:33:03 AM »
Capcom has been releasing new MH rather heavily lately, just because the don't announce something doesn't mean they don't already have it in the works.  And MHF3 is basically the same thing as TRI G minus the water levels, and the Vita can play PSP games (though the UMD's passport program doesn't list Capcom games yet but you can buy the digital version of MHF3 or Portable 3rd).

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #984 on: December 29, 2011, 02:37:35 AM »
The important part is that 3DS gets it first and its already proving that the audience is there. Whether or not Vita gets a version 6 months later its kinda irrelevant at this point.

3DS gets it now, all your friends that are playing it are playing it on 3DS, and if you want to play with them you will also need a 3DS.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: December 29, 2011, 04:17:43 AM »
Your really can't expect Capcom to toss away millions of fans

They weren't tossed away. Capcom safely led those millions of fans over to the 3DS platform, just like how Moses led the Israelites out of Egypt.
is your sanity...

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: December 29, 2011, 06:29:01 PM »
After selling 324,000 units in Japan in two days, the Vita only sold 72,000 units in its first full week, which was also the week before Christmas. For comparison, the 3DS sold 482,000 units in this same week. Let's place bets as to when Sony investors/video game commentators start screaming for Sony to start making iOS games.

Offline noname2200

• Not a douche. Seriously.
  • Score: 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: December 29, 2011, 08:00:18 PM »
After selling 324,000 units in Japan in two days, the Vita only sold 72,000 units in its first full week, which was also the week before Christmas. For comparison, the 3DS sold 482,000 units in this same week. Let's place bets as to when Sony investors/video game commentators start screaming for Sony to start making iOS games.

The latter, at least, have never needed the invitation...

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #988 on: December 29, 2011, 08:02:08 PM »
Sony's pretty much an Android shop anyway. And if you thought the money in iOS is bad...
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: December 29, 2011, 08:11:17 PM »
Sony wouldn't have anywhere near the incentive to go iOS as it could be argued Nintendo has. While Sony's first party lineup is good, and certainly a lot better than it used to be, I don't think any of their franchises are big enough to be able to really cash in with a smartphone version, which was the appeal for the misguided group of Nintendo's shareholders making a case for that. And while a lot of people would argue that there isn't a real market for console-style experiences on handhelds, there's even less of a market for them on smartphones.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Ymeegod

• View Profile
« Reply #990 on: December 30, 2011, 03:50:52 AM »
ISO games = throwing money down a drain.  To many games competting for such a small revenue that only an handful can be considered successful. 

Not sure if Sony's going start an pricewar with Nintendo considering how much they lost during the last 5  quarters.  I can see them trying to make better deals with software/hardware bundles.  Two, Sony started talking about "sharing".  Basically instead of having to buy multiple versions of the same game for two platforms you'll only need to buy one and get the other free (similar to Bluray/DVD/Digital copy packs).  Since porting games from the PS3 is supposed to easy as pie you'll get an larger software library in the shortest amount of time--also makes people want to buy PS3 software over Microsoft or WIIU.

Not sure if Vita is going do better in the states, last time the PSP had a couple of AAA Grand Theft titles leading the charge now it's up to Uncharted and a couple of FPS shooters like Killzone.  FPS never really sold all that well on handhelds due to controls but now with both current systems using dual sticks so it's no longer an issue. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 03:53:58 AM by Ymeegod »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #991 on: January 04, 2012, 12:46:29 PM »
PS Vita Sales down!? No Worries.

http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/5655070.html
Rumor has it that Capcom to the rescue with a MH game due in the 2nd half of 2012.
another port of MH3P? MH3G? or maybe they will also get MH4? Only time will tell.

Offline ejamer

• Does he even know Khushrenada?!?
  • Score: 24
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: January 04, 2012, 01:22:48 PM »
PS Vita Sales down!? No Worries.

http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/5655070.html
Rumor has it that Capcom to the rescue with a MH game due in the 2nd half of 2012.
another port of MH3P? MH3G? or maybe they will also get MH4? Only time will tell.

I find it hard to believe that MH4 won't be on both systems unless massive money hats are involved. Timing is really the big question.

Any chance that people using different consoles could play together? I'm not sure if the online architecture for 3DS/Vita would allow that to happen... but it would be sweet for gamers not to have to choose sides that way.
NNID: ejamer

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #993 on: January 04, 2012, 01:46:52 PM »
What would be even better is if the 3DS/Vita people could play AGAINST each other.

Automatically seen as enemies, encouraging you to get your other 3DS or Vita friends online.
that would push console warz to a whole new level.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #994 on: January 04, 2012, 02:54:24 PM »
The Vita has already seen its first pricecut. Some retailers have marked down the 3G model from ¥29,980 ($390.67) to ¥24,999 ($325.76).

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/playstation-vita-3g-already-seeing-price-cuts-in-japan/
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #995 on: January 04, 2012, 03:13:44 PM »
Not quite the $80 price drop Nintendo had, but atleast this is happening much sooner than 6 months later (hahaha 2 weeks later!!!)

I bet no exec @ Sony is willing to take a paycut for their miscalculation of the market towards their product.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: January 04, 2012, 03:18:32 PM »
Not quite the $80 price drop Nintendo had, but atleast this is happening much sooner than 6 months later (hahaha 2 weeks later!!!)

I bet no exec @ Sony is willing to take a paycut for their miscalculation of the market towards their product.

I don't know why Sony even bothered with the 3G model. 3G is pretty useless for games, and the people who would have bought it were turned off by being forced to get an AT&T plan. The Wi-Fi only model was the only version that was ever going to sell, so this isn't surprising.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #997 on: January 04, 2012, 03:29:33 PM »
And possibly the reason why the Vita is seeing such low sales.

I heard the Wifi model was in short supply and the 3G model was being the pushed as the standard. I guess Sony was hoping for piece of those subscription plans to subsidize cost.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #998 on: January 04, 2012, 05:54:07 PM »
Didn't Sony also restrict the size of stuff that could be downloaded over 3G on the Vita? That could be another factor. If I ever get a Vita, it would probably be the Wi-Fi model.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #999 on: January 04, 2012, 06:39:26 PM »
Just so you know, that retailer price drop for Vita is being denied by people living in Japan.
They are saying that there was no price drop across retailers.