Author Topic: PlayStation Vita (PS Vita) - previously known as NGP  (Read 269516 times)

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
Re: PSP2 - It's coming and it's called Next Generation Portable (NGP)
« Reply #525 on: February 04, 2011, 12:35:11 PM »
...most N64 games were $50, the same as most PS1 games...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure N64 games retailed for $50-60 versus PS1 games retailing for $30-40. Player's choice N64 games sold for $40, while PS1 Greatest Hits sold for $20-25 (I'm sure of the latter).

There was quite a difference in price.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #526 on: February 04, 2011, 01:48:10 PM »
Most PS1 games were $40-$50.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: February 04, 2011, 02:03:32 PM »
I remember at the time being quite frustrated by the price difference between N64 and Playstation games.  This would have been a time when the Canadian dollar was quite weak so the prices were much higher than they are now.  I remember paying $80 for some N64 games and Playstation titles were probably about $60.  Not only were new Playstation games cheaper but I was really annoyed at how the older games could routinely drop in price to about $30 or even $20.  Videogames being marked down to that price was a new thing.  Meanwhile most N64 games remained at a high price.  If they dropped it was at best comparible to new Playstation prices.

CDs had all this CD quality music and voice acting and FMV that the N64's cartridges didn't have and they were cheaper.  So I was paying MORE money for less?!  And Nintendo wonders why everyone ditched them?  At the time it really just felt like the N64's cartridge model was a huge rip-off with no obvious benefits.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: February 04, 2011, 02:11:35 PM »
No load times was an obvious benefit.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: February 04, 2011, 02:31:03 PM »
Whoever was afraid that NGP would be a PS3 port machine has reason to keep on fearing
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-02-04-new-ngp-details-emerge-at-private-event
Sony staff demoed a handful of upcoming first-party NGP titles, including Uncharted, Little Deviants and WipEout. The source said the latter was "the WipEout HD PS3 engine running on PS3 with no changes to the art platform. That means full resolution, full 60 frames per second. It looks exactly the same as it does on PS3 – all the shader effects are in there".

With Sony urging developers to create releases that work across PS3 and NGP, the implications of this are significant. "They want us to do cross-platform," said the source, explaining that the submission process has been streamlined, with only a single submission required for a title on PSN and NGP.

And developers were told: "All games at launch available on flash [the physical storage medium] would also be on PSN."

However, Sony is also insisting that it "does not want exactly the same game" on NGP and PS3 – there "has to be a reason for the NGP title". "They want at least some kind of interactivity between the two versions with NGP-only extras," the source added.
[...]
"Any shaders for PS3 stuff will just work," said the source. "We won't have to rewrite. What would have taken two-to-three months before looks like it could take just one-to-two weeks now. The architecture is obviously different, but it's the same development environment."

Sony may not want it, but porting between PS3 and NGP seems like a breeze. Looks like Sony may require a few NGP exclusives, but that could mean a throwaway level or an extra costume or something else insignificant.

Elsewhere with the hardware, it was confirmed that NGP features three gyroscopes, compared with one in PS3's controller, allowing for more accurate movement. And the front and rear touch panels are both capable of six-point multi-touch.

Maybe Factor 5 would like to give Lair a NGP re-release ;D or patch the PS3 version to use the NGP as the controller ;)

"The touch pad on the back is fantastic," the source said. "It does feel second nature, like you're having a real impact on the world." As an example of the potential, SCEE described squeezing an object in-game by pinching the front and the back simultaneously.

That is also very good to hear and should alleviate any concerns with that.

Sony has not yet dated the system beyond plans to begin rollout worldwide by the end of 2011. But during yesterday's presentation, Sony listed the Wi-Fi only edition of NGP as "2011", while the Wi-Fi plus 3G version was listed as "Holiday Season 2011", implying that the 3G-enabled console would not be available day one.

SCEE did not share any solid information on date or price, only adding that details would be revealed "very soon".

I don't know, to me it seems to imply that it's the other way around. The 3G version(the expensive version that they want everyone to own) has a more specific time of year listed while the wifi only version (the budget version) has an extremely vague 2011.

Sony isn't gonna want to manufacture 2 different versions at launch when early adopters are likely to snap up almost all quantities of the launch model as long as the price is right. you don't want to launch a more expensive version later when most people realize that wifi was good enough and that's the version all their friends already have.

edit: But if they are gonna delay the 3G version, which was originally the only version, then they should just skip 3G and use 4G instead. Atleast you'll actually be able to game on 4G.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 02:42:44 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #530 on: February 04, 2011, 02:44:10 PM »
Regarding the touch pad, how does that alleviate any concerns? Is it a surprise that Sony is gonna say a Sony product works great? A company executive is not gonna say that a feature of an upcoming product from their company doesn't work well.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #531 on: February 04, 2011, 03:03:50 PM »
I originally paired that quote and the one above it together with the bolded text of 6 point multi touch on both front and back mixed with the idea of pinching as well. That should alleviate any concern with Sony not being a little innovative and that the touch pad was just thrown on to be there.

I split it up to slip in a joke about F5. I could've been a little clearer about what concerns I was talking about.

Although I really not sure what you would need 6 point multi touch for on the front or the back and certainly at the same exact time in any combination of 6 -12 touches at once.

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #532 on: February 04, 2011, 05:36:44 PM »
If devs are just going to port PS3 games then it really makes no sense for them to be different formats.  I understand the practical limitation of being able to literally play the relatively large PS3 discs on a handheld device but that seems to be the only reason to make this a seperate format.  UMD movies bombed because no sane person wanted to buy their DVD movies AGAIN just to play them on the PSP.

One problem Sony may encounter is that people are either PS3 owners or NGP owners but not both.  If the same games are available for both I don't need both.  I might as well buy only one of them based on whether or console or handheld better suits my lifestyle.  With Nintendo people will own both a DS and a Wii.  They each offer a unique lineup of games so there is incentive to own both.

And you can say that Sony can't really prevent third parties from going nuts with PS3 ports.  But they sort of could.  It was their own choice to make the hardware so similar.  They're the ones that made it a two week port job.  That's very flexible for porting but if they don't want porting they probably should not have designed it that way.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #533 on: February 04, 2011, 05:47:29 PM »
I think the problem will come from people that own the physical version of either the NGP or PS3 game vs the person that was patient enough to buy and download all their NGP games from PSN (this is assuming that you don't have access to digital version for free after purchasing the physical cart). Why buy cart games if they are all available on PSN and you can access all your PSN games from your PS3 or NGP.

But we don't really know enough about what Sony is planning to make that call either way. But from this new info there will be plenty of NGP "enhanced" PS3 ports to go around. But I expect the same thing with the 3DS and Wii games too. It will be a major way for devs to minimize risk and increase potential profits.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: February 04, 2011, 06:02:29 PM »
CDs had all this CD quality music and voice acting and FMV that the N64's cartridges didn't have and they were cheaper.  So I was paying MORE money for less?!

Actually you were getting more. Wouldn't you rather have gameplay than a bunch of FMV? N64 games like SM64 were 100% gameplay with no FMV filler whatsoever. PS1 games may have been cheaper, but you were paying for FMV and getting ripped off on gameplay.
is your sanity...

Offline Ian Sane

• View Profile
« Reply #535 on: February 04, 2011, 07:03:34 PM »
Actually you were getting more. Wouldn't you rather have gameplay than a bunch of FMV? N64 games like SM64 were 100% gameplay with no FMV filler whatsoever. PS1 games may have been cheaper, but you were paying for FMV and getting ripped off on gameplay.

Except that's entirely a matter of opinion.  FMV is not necessarily filler.  And realistically you got the same "amount" of game, but with some extra bells of whistles.  I was a Nintendo fan but I was not so brainwashed to not realize that the PS1 had tons of great games and often the FMV and red book audio only added to the experience.  It was a hard sell for Nintendo and, to the surprise of no one, the vast majority wasn't sold on it.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: February 04, 2011, 07:58:11 PM »
So $59.99 for NGP games? **** that.

Online broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: February 04, 2011, 08:05:43 PM »

Indeed.  I'd only purchase such a game if I was getting a PS3/NGP combo pack of sorts, like we have nowadays with Blu-Ray sets that come with the DVD as well to encourage people who only have DVD players to upgrade.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: February 04, 2011, 09:02:56 PM »

Indeed.  I'd only purchase such a game if I was getting a PS3/NGP combo pack of sorts, like we have nowadays with Blu-Ray sets that come with the DVD as well to encourage people who only have DVD players to upgrade.

If it truly only takes 2 weeks of work to port a game, this would be economically feasible. I doubt anyone will do it, though. It would only really make sense for Sony themselves, anyway.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #539 on: February 04, 2011, 09:30:52 PM »

Agreed. Then again, I also say **** that to paying $59.99 for console games either. With game prices like that I'm going to make the bold prediction that software sales on the NGP are going to be weak. Perhaps as weak as on the PSP, or maybe even worse. Hardware sales might do okay though, depending on how easily the device ends up being hacked. I suspect the NGP hardware was more or less finalized well before the PS3 was cracked, so Sony might not have had time to beef up security on this thing and it may be an easy hack for the pirates and homebrew crowd. This combined with $60 games is a recipe for a perfect storm of terrible software sales.

I was a Nintendo fan

Why is that in the past tense? Are you not a fan anymore?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 09:34:15 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #540 on: February 05, 2011, 04:44:30 AM »
I don't buy HD games at the full 70€ ($90) MSRP, the closest I've come were games for 55€ ($70), the early discount some places put on there. And the only ones I bought at that price were Brütal Legend and Vanquish.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #541 on: February 05, 2011, 04:41:26 PM »
So how much would y'all pay for a PS3/NGP game combo pack? If $60 is worth a PS3 game (kinda) is a game for both worth an additional 20? 30? 7?
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: February 05, 2011, 05:22:10 PM »
I wouldn't pay extra for it.

Online broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: February 05, 2011, 05:32:22 PM »
I wouldn't pay extra for it.

Nor would I.  In my opinion, it would be in Sony's best interest to take a loss on their first wave of 1st party NGP releases and put out $60 combo packs of PS3/NGP games.   Maybe after that, they could raise the price with later games, but at least at launch they need to firmly establish the PS3/NGP connection.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #544 on: February 05, 2011, 05:32:48 PM »
Well, in a way, it'd be exactly like DVDs that come with a digital copy of the movie, so I can see why you wouldn't pay extra for it.
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: February 05, 2011, 06:49:40 PM »
I wouldn't pay extra, nor would I want such a combo.

My prior statement in regards to the price of games for NGP is an assumption of mine. Of course. If NGP games are to visually resemble PS3 games than I assume that a price markup is bound to happen. What I don't get about Sony (if they do mark up the NGP game prices), and what Nintendo is doing is why are they inflating the portable software value. Portables have always equaled to cheaper software. If the software for an overtly expensive portable phone is acceptable, why can't it be for a dedicated gaming handheld.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: February 05, 2011, 07:26:42 PM »
Suddenly the $39.99 3DS games do not look so bad when compared to those of the PSP 2.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #547 on: February 05, 2011, 07:52:52 PM »
Suddenly the $39.99 3DS games do not look so bad when compared to those of the PSP 2.

It never looked bad to begin with. I think the 3DS software is reasonably priced. Now the hardware on the other hand...
is your sanity...

Offline leroypantweather

• Score: -6
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: February 09, 2011, 02:18:45 AM »
Does  anyone think/know/speculate, that given the backwards compatibility of psn downloads on NGP is it reasonable to assume that support of the psn will be more fruitful ?  Particularly will square finally break down and support digital distribution fully for the last  few psp releases, birth by sleep, third birthday, ect?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: February 10, 2011, 10:43:44 AM »
I doubt it, most publishers are going to enter that portable gen in the "Sony lost before, they'll lose again" mindset, especially since the sales failure of the PSP was mostly on the software side, the hardware did move after all.