Author Topic: PlayStation Vita (PS Vita) - previously known as NGP  (Read 269540 times)

Offline DAaaMan64

• Winner of the Most Terrible Username Award
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
Re: PSP2 - It's coming and we know it
« Reply #100 on: June 21, 2010, 05:03:52 PM »
The interesting thing about the PSP2 is it will be the first console to be designed from the ground up with the knowledge of the casual market. Sony might just figure a few things out.
FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM!!!!

Marvel Heroes - Marvel Heroes
Frozen Shoe Games

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil. For I am with me.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 21, 2010, 06:28:11 PM »
Sony is never going to figure anything out because they're still trying to out-spec Nintendo at the cost of battery life. Who cares if the graphics are near PS3-level if the battery life is well under 10 hours?

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 23, 2010, 12:52:34 AM »
"During his annual roundtable discussion, legendary designer Shigeru Miyamoto briefly discussed the battery life for the 3DS hardware.

Current specs do not disclose any information about the systems battery life but during the roundtable, Miyamoto said that Nintendo are aiming to achieve a battery close to that of the DSi.

So what kind of battery could we be looking at for the 3DS?

The Nintendo DSi has the lowest battery life of any of the Nintendo DS family offering 3 to 4 hours when the system is played on its brightest setting.

Expect to hear more later in the year." 

That might change but it does sound like the 3ds is well under the 10 hour mark too.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 23, 2010, 04:46:10 PM »
3-4 hours of battery life on DSi is optional. I was always happy with medium brightness so I got close to 10. I don't think I've ever gotten more than 3 hours on my PSP.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 23, 2010, 05:05:07 PM »
yeah the reason why Sony doesn't make consoles out of the paradigm of consoles is because Nintendo creates the paradigm for consoles that they constantly change. Microsoft has been pretty good at coming up with new features too though. Next generation is going to be pretty interesting.
And this has to do with the PSP2 how?

PSP2 is probably going to be announced at TGS.

when i said console  i meant video game hardware
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: June 28, 2010, 06:12:25 PM »
Looks like some Japanese Retailer is sure of a PSP-4000 & 3DS launch THIS year in Japan.
http://www.siliconera.com/2010/06/27/rumor-japanese-retailer-pegs-nintendo-3ds-and-psp-4000-for-this-year/

I'm guessing Sony is gonna rev up for a HUGE presence at TGS this year since they expect Nintendo to not be there like usual(but something tells me Nintendo will be there, and PSP-4000's debut will be spoiled if thats what they were planning).

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 10, 2010, 05:20:54 AM »
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703636404575352681516157268.html
Quote from: WSJ
Meanwhile, Sony is developing a portable device that shares characteristics of hand-held game machines, e-book readers and netbook computers, according to people familiar with the matter. Some Sony e-book readers already come with 3G connections but it isn't clear if a new wireless gadget will use carrier networks.
[...]
Yusuke Tsunoda, an analyst at Tokai Tokyo Research Center, said talks of a carrier partnership are a sign that the videogame-hardware makers are feeling the pressure from smartphones, which are used to download and play simple games.

"The distinction between gaming devices and mobile communication devices, like smartphones, are blurring. And it may eventually disappear," said Mr. Tsunoda.
& this is from an article Kytim linked to a few days ago
http://kotaku.com/5581478/high+speed-cell-connection-could-come-to-nintendo-sony-devices
Quote from: Kotaku
The Wall Street Journal reported in March that Sony was working on two new gaming devices, one that appears to be a sort of smartphone and another that sounds a bit like a tablet computer.

Offline Arbok

• Toho Mikado
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
    • Toho Kingdom
« Reply #107 on: July 12, 2010, 01:50:23 PM »
Sounds like Sony is trying to escape competing with the DS to go head-to-head with the iPhone/iPad.

Actually its sounds like Sony doesn't have a clue what to do with the device and instead is going for the "jack of all trades" route... again.
Toho Kingdom

@romero_tk

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 15, 2010, 03:42:04 AM »
Remembers those rumors about Nvidia Tegra & Nintendo working together on the 3DS?

Well, this one seems a little more believable in retrospec.

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/07/14/sonys-psp2-powered-nvidias-tegra-line/
THE ANNUAL RUNNING of the moles in Santa Clara yesterday had some surprising results, not just in the record number of IC engineers gored, but also the information leaked by those trying save their backsides. One of them even leaked some details about the upcoming PSP2's CPU, but it didn't save him.

Unfortunately for that engineer, he wasn't able to make it back to 2701 San Tomas for treatment, and succumbed to his wounds. While he was crawling back to the mothership begging for an 'ouchless' band-aid, he was babbling about how the new PSP2 hardware needed him, and that he was too young to die. Next of kin, not the next Kin, confirmed that the (now ex-) Nvidia engineer was indeed on the Tegra team, and that chip line will be powering the PSP2.

It is now set for a CES showing, but it will almost assuredly be released at a later date. This isn't due to the number of engineers mauled by moles yesterday, but because the Tegra 2 is massively over it's promised power budget. In a segment that finds 5% overages unacceptable, Tegra 2 is 20%+ over power budget. That explains why Nvidia PR suddenly changed the focus of the PSP2 screed to avoid the word 'phone', but, luckily for Sony, the PSP2 does not have phone capabilities.

The power 'whoopsie' means delays and possibly spec downgrades for the PSP2, but we will have to see where it ends up. Between that overage and several showstopper bugs, Sony is said to be very miffed at Nvidia right now. Even the moles could sense that before they pounced on engineer after engineer. The scene in the streets is almost as bad as the scenes in the Nvidia meeting rooms when the Sony people come around.

If the chip that Sony uses for the PSP2 is a vanilla Tegra 2, the design is in trouble. If they use a custom version of the part, there is a chance for things to work out in the end, but expect many delays as the silicon is respun and respun. For a device that has already been delayed because of it's CPU, that is not a good sign.

Unlike the other 20, 50, 70, or however many design wins Nvidia PR is promising this week, the PSP2 is actually going to come out. In fact, it will sell more than the other two Tegra flagship products, the Zune HD and the Kin(s) combined. So more than 20 units, one for the family of each gored engineer, plus or minus a few design wins.

If this story is actually true then I can see Nvidia not being a consideration with any console manufacturer ever again moving forward. They tried to screw MS with the original Xbox, Stumbled on the RSX with the PS3 and now they over shot power consumption for the PSP2. But I think Tegra 2 may be a good fit for a multimedia jack-of-all trades machine that Sony would try to put together.

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 22, 2010, 02:52:56 PM »
There's a reason you don't see Tegra 2 in many things even though it is being highly touted.  nVidia has no idea that power actually matters to people, especially in the mobile market.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 16, 2010, 09:11:39 PM »
http://www.industrygamers.com/news/psp2-is-real-pretty-powerful-and-in-developers-hands/
IndustryGamers asked about the possibility of a version of Mortal Kombat on the current PSP or the upcoming 3DS, and Himmerick replied:

“We’re not launching day one on all consoles like that. We are looking at them; we have a PSP2 in the house and we’re looking at the engine, like what can it support. Always a big thing for us is the performance. We’re running at 60 fps, what can we do and do we have to build all the art assets over. We’re definitely looking at them. PSP2 looks like it’s a pretty powerful machine. We don’t have a 3DS system in house yet, but we’re looking to get one, and we’ll certainly look at what its power is.”

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 17, 2010, 01:04:42 AM »
I remember way back in the mid-90s when Sony first entered the video game market with the PS1 and how people didn't think they knew what the hell they were doing because they never did it before and their experience has always been with TVs and those sorts of things. Well, 15 or so years later they have been successful in the video game industry (well, the were in previous generations), but have they really learned what video gaming is all about? They market their devices as being able to do anything and everything, so video gaming isn't the primary focus there the way it is with Nintendo. Apparently that attitude works okay with Consoles that take up space in a living room where people don't want too many devices laying around, but that logic doesn't seem to work with handheld devices so much. If anyone wants a "can do anything" device odds are they already have that in the form of their cell phone.

I can't see the PSP2 being any closer to winning against the 3DS than the PSP1 has been against the DS. People buy those things for gaming purposes, and already have what they need for everything else.
is your sanity...

Offline nubiae

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • R4, R4i Card for NDS & DS Lite-R4fords.co.uk.
« Reply #112 on: September 25, 2010, 01:56:30 AM »
I love Nintendo's games.  I love them more than any other games.  But I'm sick to death of having to feel like I'm playing them in a time machine.

nintendo?what's do you know PS3 ?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 28, 2010, 11:06:38 AM »
PSP2 is rumored for a late 2011 release

reports are out that PSP2 dev-kits have been sent to anyone that will have them.
http://www.develop-online.net/news/35969/Sony-sends-PSP2-dev-kits-across-the-industry
Sony has handed PSP2 development kits to a number of key studios for a “significant launch window line-up”, Develop has heard.

It was claimed earlier in the year that developers were shown the device, and Sony has since sent out dev kits to numerous development studios – both third-party and in-house.
Multiple industry sources – who have over the last two months spoken to Develop on the matter – give the impression that Sony is spreading its PSP2 tech widely across the industry for a big impact at launch.

Develop’s sources were understandably unwilling to speak on the record about the new handheld, mentioning the device in passing, and declining to provide details on prototypes.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 29, 2010, 12:14:12 PM »
I wonder if Sony is going to make the PSP2 do 3D on the cheap like T.V's do it, and make you require the expensive glasses. With the expected saturation of 3D T.V's and subsequently, those glasses, it may not be such a bad idea.

Sony also deserves commendation for making the dev kits so widespread, but it seems like the 3DS is going to have pretty robust launch + following months.

I forget where I read it, but I believe someone reported that the PSP2 will be noticeably more powerful than the 3DS and while that may not seem like a big deal in the handheld arena, Sony will be gunning for heavy integration with the PS3 where such power will be a big deal. What if it can be a suitable controller that shows extra map data, or allows multiplayer with no split screen or your opponent seeing what plays your calling or pitches your choosing, etc.? What if you can play CoD or MoH on your PS3 and pick up your game (solo or multiplayer) on your bus ride/car pool to work?

Maybe I'm just getting my hopes up, but I'm slightly looking forward to the PSP2 reveal. Which may not be until next E3.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline apdude

• Not Robin
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 29, 2010, 01:00:58 PM »
to play your game on the go, wouldn't you need to buy the game twice?  Unless it's tablet sized I don't see putting the blu-ray disk in it.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 29, 2010, 01:09:17 PM »
All of that should be possible on the 3DS.

And supposedly Samsund is gina be showing off a Glasses free 3D TV next week. Also with the volume of screens Nintendo is buying, Sony might be able to get a good deal on some 3D screens by the end of the year.

to play your game on the go, wouldn't you need to buy the game twice?  Unless it's tablet sized I don't see putting the blu-ray disk in it.
Digital copy? PSP2 will likely have iPod levels of internal storage. 32gb or somethoing like that.

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 29, 2010, 02:05:45 PM »
I think there is too much of a disconnect between the Wiimote and the 3DS for that to work for Nintendo. It would be pretty cool (i.e you should be able to) download V.C games from the Wii to the DS and maybe even some Wiiware games, but that's as far as I see it going.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 29, 2010, 02:13:29 PM »
The 3DS has cameras and gyros. It could act as a two handed wiimote with 2screens and buttons. There is no disconnect other than form factor.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 29, 2010, 02:50:31 PM »
Sony should release the PSP2 for under $200 and really undercut Nintendo.

Offline EternalRain

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 29, 2010, 04:11:38 PM »
i dont think that will do much, especially since we all know that wont ever happen, and it seems sony is just trying to hard . . .
I make life decisions on the toilet :3

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #121 on: September 29, 2010, 04:35:00 PM »

Considering how much trouble doing that with the PS3 caused Sony (the first time the company had lost money in over 15 years), I don't think Howard Stringer would even consider losing that much money. If a PSP 2 does happen, I don't think Sony would be willing to lose any more money than they have to.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 30, 2010, 01:16:30 PM »
The 3DS has cameras and gyros. It could act as a two handed wiimote with 2screens and buttons. There is no disconnect other than form factor.

Hmmm... to work as the pointer though, the cameras would still need a fixed point, which is all good if your not sitting in a car or bus.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 30, 2010, 02:21:40 PM »
I forget where I read it, but I believe someone reported that the PSP2 will be noticeably more powerful than the 3DS and while that may not seem like a big deal in the handheld arena, Sony will be gunning for heavy integration with the PS3 where such power will be a big deal. What if it can be a suitable controller that shows extra map data, or allows multiplayer with no split screen or your opponent seeing what plays your calling or pitches your choosing, etc.? What if you can play CoD or MoH on your PS3 and pick up your game (solo or multiplayer) on your bus ride/car pool to work?
All of that should be possible on the 3DS.
I think there is too much of a disconnect between the Wiimote and the 3DS for that to work for Nintendo. It would be pretty cool (i.e you should be able to) download V.C games from the Wii to the DS and maybe even some Wiiware games, but that's as far as I see it going.
Hmmm... to work as the pointer though, the cameras would still need a fixed point, which is all good if your not sitting in a car or bus.

wouldn't it just use the sensor bar on the Wii?
The wiimote is a camera with motion sensors and a gyro, the 3DS is 3D cameras with motion sensors and a gyro.
the 3D cameras just need to be able to track IR light and you are good to go.*

and if you are talking about picking up the game on the go and continuing where you left off, check out the AR cards. The camera focuses on the image in the middle and you can move all around that point and the angles you see stay accurate. So all you would need is an AR card that you can place in front of you somewhere, maybe something with a sticky back like a post it note, but a change in portable control scheme would probably be better.

*Imagine Madden 2012 using 2 3DS' for head to head while the game shows up in spectator mode up on the bigscreen through the Wii.
The 2 people actually playing aren't actually watching the TV, they are using the 3DS which has audibles and plays on the touch screen and the field view up on the 3D screen. Everyone else will be presented with a Monday night football like presentation on the TV (hooked up to the Wii) with commentary and probably commercials, streamed live from the internet during play calling/micro managing time (in game advertising will find it's way, and that way seems reasonable to me if it's gonna happen).

Take the power of the PSP2 and the PS3 and you could probably have all sorts of connectivity possibilities. Like Movie mode or Spectator mode during a FPS  or action game.

They could make the next MGS game play out in real time where you do your mission from the handheld while the Movie game plays out the story on the bigscreen. The person playing on the handheld has to accomplish what need to be done on time and correctly to be in the right places at the right times while the spectators watch from a completely different perspective... now I'm just rambling, but I could finish that thought if anyone is actually interested in hearing it.

Offline apdude

• Not Robin
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 30, 2010, 03:21:48 PM »
Plus, classic card based games, or board games would work well, where the Wii/TV is the game table and the DS is your hand.  For things like this you wouldn't even need fancy motion controls or anything like that so a regular DS would work fine.