Author Topic: PlayStation Vita (PS Vita) - previously known as NGP  (Read 269501 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Re: PSP2 - It's coming and we know it
« Reply #75 on: May 14, 2010, 05:11:06 PM »
OLED screen

They're still a bit on the expensive side, so I wouldn't put too much faith on the PSP2 having one.

Well, at least not in the first version. But as we all well know both Sony and Nintendo love to put out revisions of their portable hardware, so its something that will probably come out in a few years when either company decides its revisioning time.
is your sanity...

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #76 on: May 14, 2010, 05:13:11 PM »
OLED is expensive, therefore Sony should use it to help them drown in more financial turmoil.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 14, 2010, 05:39:12 PM »
As far as portable gadgets go, the big deal with OLED screens is that they don't require backlights, so they're thinner.  That means smaller gadgets.  I don't know how they stack up in terms of energy use.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 14, 2010, 06:16:19 PM »
no backlight would lead one to at least assume that it uses less energy right?
maybe get an extra 2 hours outta that battery now?

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 15, 2010, 01:50:29 AM »
OLED screen
They're still a bit on the expensive side, so I wouldn't put too much faith on the PSP2 having one.
Seriously? If anything, that's why I'd expect PSP2 having one. This is the same Sony that released a $600 because it had to have a Blu-Ray player. If you want to use the argument that Sony was trying to help the format (and, in that way, they succeeded), so be it. This is the same Sony that sacrificed battery life in a handheld system in order to get near PS2-level performance. Point being, Sony doesn't have a damn clue what the f*ck they are doing. Don't get me wrong, I love my PSP. I think it's a nice home console. Yeah, you read that right.... At the end of the day, it has some great games, even if the system itself is littered with boneheaded design choices.

The reason why I do not like the PSP is because it has no identity as a gaming console. What I mean by this is that it is essentially a low-grade PS2 with a built in screen and buttons. Why fork over the cash for the device when I already have it in my roo and it is called the PS2. Sony is too professional to think outside the box in the same way Nintendo does for its handhelds. The DS brand has enough style that it is differentiated from the other systems. I speculate, nay, know that the next PSP system will be to the PS3 as the current model is to the PS2. I will never own a Sony handheld until it develops some kind of stylistic identity that Nintendo has been able to implement in their systems and I see the 3DS continuing this battle against the PSP2 in the future.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2010, 05:57:05 AM »
Why fork over the cash for the device when I already have it in my roo and it is called the PS2.
This was Nintendo pre-DS. Gameboy was just a handheld monochrome NES. GBA was a handheld SNES sans X and Y. If you take issue with PSP being a handheld PS2, I wonder if you've ever owned any Gameboy iteration in your life. If so, I'm not sure I buy that you won't own a Sony handheld because of its identity. It sounds like you don't like it because it's made by Sony which, of course, you're perfectly entitled to.

I bought a PSP once it finally had games I wanted that I couldn't get anywhere else. I could get God of War on PS2, but not Chains of Olympus so I justified buying a PSP for it. For me, games make hardware worth purchasing. While I bought my brother an Xbox 360, I wouldn't buy one for myself. Outside of Gears of War which I only enjoy playing co-op with my brother, there is nothing on it I want that I can't also get on PS3... and PS3 has God of War III and a Blu-Ray drive. The choice, for me, was simple.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #81 on: May 15, 2010, 07:23:02 AM »
GameBoy was the Pokemon Machine For Social Networking.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 15, 2010, 03:08:58 PM »
Why fork over the cash for the device when I already have it in my roo and it is called the PS2.
This was Nintendo pre-DS. Gameboy was just a handheld monochrome NES. GBA was a handheld SNES sans X and Y. If you take issue with PSP being a handheld PS2, I wonder if you've ever owned any Gameboy iteration in your life. If so, I'm not sure I buy that you won't own a Sony handheld because of its identity. It sounds like you don't like it because it's made by Sony which, of course, you're perfectly entitled to.

I bought a PSP once it finally had games I wanted that I couldn't get anywhere else. I could get God of War on PS2, but not Chains of Olympus so I justified buying a PSP for it. For me, games make hardware worth purchasing. While I bought my brother an Xbox 360, I wouldn't buy one for myself. Outside of Gears of War which I only enjoy playing co-op with my brother, there is nothing on it I want that I can't also get on PS3... and PS3 has God of War III and a Blu-Ray drive. The choice, for me, was simple.

The DS is sorta a portable N64 sans the analog stick. What I mean is the horsepower capabilities seem to be similar, because that tiny screen is able to pump out ports of games like SM 64 that look as good as the originals (even though it plays much worse).
is your sanity...

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2010, 04:14:24 PM »
N64 didn't have a touchscreen, wifi, or a built-in microphone (Hey You! Pikachu doesn't count) or cameras if you count DSi.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2010, 06:33:09 PM »

GB/GBA were built for portability, they had a long battery life and were durable system. They were the first systems to get it right, PSP on the other hand has a short battery life, not all that durable, and didn't innovate anything. The majority of the games, at least for the first couple of years were PS2 ports as well.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 15, 2010, 07:30:57 PM »
Point being?

Nintendo handhelds didn't offer anything new besides portability until DS. I don't think it's fair to jump on Sony for offering a portable console experience when Nintendo did the same thing for like 15 years, unless, of course, you're willing to chastise Nintendo as well. Sure, Nintendo did it better/smarter, but that's not really the point here. Kytim89 questioned the notion of paying for a portable PS2 when he already owns an actual PS2, not the merits of PSP as a handheld system. I'm not defending PSP's shortcomings. Like I said earlier, I consider it a home console as I'm never too far away from an outlet when I use it. Rather, I'm defending PSP as a system with worthwhile games. I didn't buy one until last year when I deemed there to be enough games worthy of purchasing new hardware that wasn't available elsewhere.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 07:33:04 PM by Adrock »

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2010, 08:40:00 PM »
I always figured the point of a Portable Gaming Device is that it is portable.  So to me having a Portable device that is as powered as a console device is not a bad if it remain portable.  They aren't even the same thing.  One is PORTABLE...able to be played anywhere...and one is a console system. 

The thing is portable systems MUST be designed differently than console games.  They must be designed first and foremost with being portable.  Nintendo has been the best and sometimes the only company that understood this.  Which is why although Nintendo's technology is always inferior to graphics and current technology compared to other portables....It absolutely rocks in all the elements of what a Portable gaming experience should be.

So as I see Sony may copy Nintendo exactly with the PSP2 making a newer flash DS-like experience mixed with an I-Pod touch experience, I see Sony shooting itself in the foot again and making not conform to the needs of a portable system.

However, I don't see Nintendo doing that.  Nintendo has been carefully planning its next true handheld for awhile.  Using existing technology that will be cheap, power efficient, and adding in new technology to create new experiences. 

Nintendo may not operate with the same understanding of what consoles should or need to be, but they have the best grasp and understanding of what portable gaming is and needs to be of any company out there.  And that is why they succeed.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 15, 2010, 09:22:19 PM »

The PSP is really just a PS2? The GBA is really just an SNES? I think what these handhelds are missing is true compatibility. Nothing will ever match the brilliance of the Sega Nomad. Being able to simply pop my Genesis cartridges into what was basically an over-sized GameGear and go is still hard to beat.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 15, 2010, 10:32:57 PM »

The PSP is really just a PS2? The GBA is really just an SNES? I think what these handhelds are missing is true compatibility. Nothing will ever match the brilliance of the Sega Nomad. Being able to simply pop my Genesis cartridges into what was basically an over-sized GameGear and go is still hard to beat.

That thing would have been so damn cool if it had enough battery life to actually let you take it somewhere.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #89 on: May 16, 2010, 11:06:24 AM »

That thing would have been so damn cool if it had enough battery life to actually let you take it somewhere.

Which gets to my point...nobody (but Nintendo understands the place of portable gaming.)  Actually that is not true...Apple is getting to understand it with its Ipod touch.  Quick simple games to play and enjoy on the go whenever you want them.  They don't have to be the same type of masterpieces found on the consoles, and in fact that works against their design. 

There is a reason the Wario Ware franchise debuted on a portable. 

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #90 on: May 16, 2010, 03:50:34 PM »
Pocket Monsters thrived on portables

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 16, 2010, 04:01:12 PM »
Pocket Monsters thrived on portables

well they are pocket monsters and I don't think the consoles would fit in your pocket at the time[/console]

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #92 on: May 16, 2010, 04:38:11 PM »
Bringing my NES to the playground and swapping Pocket Monster information plus battles with your NES via some niche serial cable isn't exactly a "console" experience the market desired out of portables.  We know the GB platform reinvigorated itself parallel to Pocket Monsters' success for unique functions not practical to consoles.  Casual kiddie underpowered gimmick non-RPG -- no denying this juggernaut that PSP and Apple aren't replicating.

Furthermore, on the DS level, Nintendo's stellar software proves to be key.  A detailed puppy simulator that fits in a pocket/backpack/purse/etc, made its impact FIVE YEARS ago, elevating the platform growth to greater opportunities of success, while petty game industry sales journalism today can only point out "oh look, phone gaming is eating away at [uselessly non-portable] multimedia-rich PSP gaming, and gaining a couple percents on DS!"

Nintendo [portable doohickies] are platforms where real software that make real money and develop strong brand images are made.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 18, 2010, 02:50:27 PM »
VG247 has the PSP2 scoop? grab those salt licks, this will make you thirsty for more.

PSP2: Touch-screen, two cameras, games for “end 2010, beginning   2011″]
If you thought a hint that PSP2 may make an appearance at E3 was   exciting, get a load of this ****.

Baby steps.

• MCV rumoured   last week that Sony “could” announce PSP2 at E3. 
  • VG247 goes digging. According to a source familiar with the matter,   it’s “99 percent” it isn’t an E3 reveal. 
  • But there’s much, much more. 
  • Multiple British sources have confirmed that PSP2 NDAs have been in   place at publishers and developers for many months. 
  • PSP2 has two cameras, one forward and one backward facing. 
  • It has a touch-screen, but apparently it has retained the trademark   physical PlayStation buttons. 
  • UK sources were previously working towards a “2010″ release. This is   now “2011″. 
  • One source would be “amazed” if there was any kind of physical media   involved. We’ve been told it “could” be 3G-enabled, as opposed to the   WiFi-only PSP go. This bit was sketchy. 
  • Multiple PSP2 games are being made in Britain right now. Some have   even already been canned. 
  • There have been “finished units” in the UK, but we haven’t spoken to   anyone that’s seen a final case. 
  • When asked directly about reveal timing, one source said, “If the   games were aiming for end 2010, beginning 2011, and now it’s a 2011   release, I’d say a gamescom or TGS announce for launch early next year”. 
  • One source told us the machine is “fucking powerful,” being based on   a four-core Cell CPU. PS3 runs on an eight-core version.
  Crapped yourself yet? Good. Remember, “99 percent” certainty leaves   â€ś1 percent” of uncertainty. Don’t take your eyes of Jack’s hands in   Sony’s E3 press conference on June 15.
We will, of course, be there.
I really hope that 3DS uses 4 cameras to set itself even further apart from the competition.
That's the new cell phone feature for next year, one forward facing and one inward facing camera and Nintendo has been on that since DSi. Now it's time for 3D cameras in and 3D cameras out. Gotta stay one step ahead.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #94 on: May 18, 2010, 03:08:14 PM »
OK, this has to stop.

The next gen will probably have handhelds that transform into Iron Man suits.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 18, 2010, 03:37:55 PM »
Sony: Make it double the Iron Man suits.

(laughter)
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #96 on: May 18, 2010, 07:21:32 PM »
Nintendo R&D: "We transform you into Squirrel Girl."

Iwata: *laughs*
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 19, 2010, 07:52:30 PM »
yeah the reason why Sony doesn't make consoles out of the paradigm of consoles is because Nintendo creates the paradigm for consoles that they constantly change. Microsoft has been pretty good at coming up with new features too though. Next generation is going to be pretty interesting.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 21, 2010, 03:45:57 PM »
yeah the reason why Sony doesn't make consoles out of the paradigm of consoles is because Nintendo creates the paradigm for consoles that they constantly change. Microsoft has been pretty good at coming up with new features too though. Next generation is going to be pretty interesting.
And this has to do with the PSP2 how?

PSP2 is probably going to be announced at TGS.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 21, 2010, 04:08:38 PM »

PSP2 is probably going to be announced at TGS.

I'm sure Sony is still working out the details on implementing their own 3D screen right now regardless of what they say.