Author Topic: PlayStation Vita (PS Vita) - previously known as NGP  (Read 268288 times)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
Re: PSP2 (codename NGP) - Is now called PlayStation Vita (PS Vita)?
« Reply #675 on: June 06, 2011, 10:13:08 PM »
Sony definitely sold me on it at that price point.  I'll be able to port over my digital PSP games, I'll finally have a second analog stick, and there's going to be some connectivity with PS3 games.  The games list is pretty good so far as well.  I'm particularly intrigued by there being an exclusive Bioshock game.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: June 06, 2011, 10:23:48 PM »
My guess is Nintendo is going to hold on tight to $250 until the month before PS Vita releases and boom it becomes $200 instantly.

Now I'm thinking if PS Vita games are going to cost the same as 3DS with $40 or more around $50?

I wonder if Sony investors are screaming at them because they are probably bleeding money off the price.

Offline Kwolf

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: June 06, 2011, 10:26:56 PM »
I bought an original psp day one it came out, just like I did with the original ds.   Enjoyed both systems.   I can honestly say at the 250 dollar price point.  Sony has pretty much secured I will be picking up a vita day one.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: June 06, 2011, 10:30:58 PM »
My guess is Nintendo is going to hold on tight to $250 until the month before PS Vita releases and boom it becomes $200 instantly.
Possibly. They might not have to though. They could just launch Mario on the same day and dominate Vita.

Offline Razorkid

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: June 06, 2011, 10:40:32 PM »
The handheld gaming front has gotten deliciously interesting. I'm happy with my 3DS and will be happy with my Vita (that backlog of psp games I've never played is godly!)

Best case scenario I see is if we have a classic Snes vs. Genesis situation in handheld form where each company throws out their best and dukes it out for the best software and hardware implementation. I'm glad Sony is FINALLY being competetive on the handheld front (in my eyes) because I know Nintendo will rise to the challenge.
"All the world is blind to my passing..."

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: June 06, 2011, 10:54:24 PM »
yeah, competition is good.

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: June 06, 2011, 10:57:49 PM »
I am not sure whether Sony could survie that level of competitiveness. They barely survived this generation after bleeding out the blood earned from 2 pervious generations. Nintendo could blow Sony's knees off at anytime regarding handhelds. Nintendo has a lot of space to trade for any Sony attack.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline NeoStar9X

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: June 06, 2011, 11:01:40 PM »
Possibly. They might not have to though. They could just launch Mario on the same day and dominate Vita.

Nah. They're going have to drop the price. It's easy to see which is more powerful when directly comparing the two's graphics. 3D I don't think will be that big of a deciding factor unless developers start really making it apart of their game design and start making a big deal of it. Nintendo will have to drop the price and have a number of solid games out on the system. Both have to happen.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #683 on: June 06, 2011, 11:04:38 PM »
Wow, $250? That's...stunning. I might actually buy one at that price, though I'm going to need to see more than Uncharted to me excited for it.
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: June 06, 2011, 11:05:10 PM »
I don't know if they have to drop the price. Nintendo has till Christmas to launch this generation's Nintendogs or Brain Training. Sure, in the modern world of smart phones it will be a tougher sell, but I always bet on Duke. I mean, Nintendo.

Offline FZeroBoyo

• Score: 12
    • View Profile
    • My deviantART
« Reply #685 on: June 06, 2011, 11:06:54 PM »
Given that price tag, I'm actually somewhat interested. If not for the Vita software at launch, but to catch up on some PSP games I wanted to play.
This is where I would write something witty or funny if I had any ideas.

Offline NeoStar9X

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: June 06, 2011, 11:28:52 PM »
Hopefully there are some good games I'm interested in. Would love to be a two hand held and one console (Nintendo) gamer going forward. That would fit my gaming time better. So I'm actually happy bout the price. Puts more pressure on Nintendo which is always a good thing.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 11:40:18 PM by NeoStar9X »

Offline Ymeegod

• Score: -16
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: June 06, 2011, 11:38:01 PM »
Think Sony smelled blood in the water because that's an insane price point.  I really wished they redesigned the analog sticks (nubs) though. 

Going get the 3G one for $299.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: June 07, 2011, 12:38:23 AM »
Now Nintendo has even more reason to drop the price of the 3DS, and the sooner they do that the better. They could wait until the last minute like Adolph Vega said, but that would be a very poor use of their early market advantage. What good is being the first on the market if you don't make major gains between launch and when the competition shows up? So Nintendo needs to gain as much market share now while there is no competition, because if they don't then the Vita may catch up or (god forbid) even surpass it.
is your sanity...

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: June 07, 2011, 01:02:03 AM »
Now Nintendo has even more reason to drop the price of the 3DS, and the sooner they do that the better.

This is just plain wrong.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #690 on: June 08, 2011, 02:15:20 AM »
Well my argument has been thrown right out the window...
Vita is being sold for a loss and not expected to make a profit for 3 years...
http://www.examiner.com/video-game-in-national/sony-to-sell-playstation-vita-for-a-loss-profitable-3yrs
Sony’s PlayStation Vita is making headlines worldwide due to the system’s visual prowess and impressive lineup of launch titles. Cramming so much horsepower into this little package was certainly a costly investment for Sony, but the company shocked the world when they revealed that the Vita will retail for $249.99 (Wifi only)/$299.99(3G/Wifi AT&T Service Contract Required) for North America. This cheap price will come at a cost for Sony, however.

In an interview with Reuters Japan, Sony’s Kaz Hirai stated that Sony aims to make a profit on the PlayStation Vita in three years. Sony often sells their hardware at a lost, so this isn’t anything new for the company as they sold the PlayStation at a lost despite the $600 price tag. Out of the three home-console manufacturers, Nintendo is usually the only company to make a profit on hardware right away due to their conservative nature of building their hardware.

3DS is still over priced though.

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: June 08, 2011, 02:55:49 AM »
Sony had to go big or go home.

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #692 on: June 08, 2011, 03:03:14 AM »
I really really love Sony. I do. The only company I know that is willing to take a hit for their customers.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #693 on: June 08, 2011, 11:17:09 AM »
I just don't see how they can afford to do it.... the share holders must be sold easy on big promises.

They've lost almost every cent of gaming profit from the last previous decade over the last 5 years, mostly from just spending over $250 per bluray drive & over $200 per Cell in every PS3 @ launch and taking a HUGE loss per unit. taking a loss on PSP. PSN problems costing them as much as it has made at this point with all the controversy and lack security.

And here they are breaking open the piggy bank once again with Vita and probably soon enough with PS4. I just don't know how this company is gonna continue to operate at a loss (in most departments) to still be around to take make back those losses after profits start again in 2014.
But if they want to keep making tech cheaper for everyone else to use, them more power to them.
It's not my money they are losing.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #694 on: June 08, 2011, 11:56:59 AM »
Sony really lucked out, because thanks to the Wii-U everyone has completely stopped ridiculing the "Vita" name.
is your sanity...

Offline Stogi

• View Profile
« Reply #695 on: June 08, 2011, 12:03:48 PM »
PSV still sounds like an STD though...

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #696 on: June 08, 2011, 12:27:56 PM »
PSV still sounds like an STD though...

PSP sounds similar to PCP
is your sanity...

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: June 08, 2011, 01:13:12 PM »
WiiU WiiU WiiU sounds like a Wambulance, big deal.

I do wonder how Sony can keep bleeding itself like this. Their balance sheet must look shocking right now.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: June 08, 2011, 01:29:59 PM »
Is Sony making it big in movies or TVs right now to subsidize these huge losses?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Re: PlayStation Vita (PS Vita) - previously known as NGP
« Reply #699 on: June 08, 2011, 01:39:09 PM »
no.