Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS Discussion  (Read 551972 times)

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo 3DS Discussion
« Reply #1675 on: February 25, 2011, 08:28:35 PM »
This might sound like a dumb question, but would anyone on this forum be willing to trade in their Wii for a 3DS? Honestly, I impressed by the 3DS but I would never trade in a home console for a handheld ever because the home console still offers more to me in terms of getting into a game.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: February 25, 2011, 08:48:38 PM »
Honestly, I'd take that deal if I got all my Wii games in 3DS form. I wouldn't do it if it meant giving up Mario Galaxy or Donkey Kong Country or stuff like that, but if I got to take all those with me, I'd probably prefer a handheld to a console.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline brain

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: February 26, 2011, 04:34:39 AM »
3DS not soon out?

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1678 on: February 26, 2011, 04:45:50 AM »
3DS not soon out?
It is out March 27th so a month and a day away from today in the US.It actually came out today in Japan.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 05:42:06 AM by Maxi »
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: February 26, 2011, 02:27:09 PM »
This might sound like a dumb question, but would anyone on this forum be willing to trade in their Wii for a 3DS? Honestly, I impressed by the 3DS but I would never trade in a home console for a handheld ever because the home console still offers more to me in terms of getting into a game.

I have 3 Wiis and I'm sure I could find a used one for $99 or less, so yes, I would trade in a Wii for a 3DS without a second thought.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1680 on: February 26, 2011, 03:24:54 PM »
@kytim
I find it odd that you preface your first reasonable question with 'this might sound like a dumb question'. :)

But, my answer is absolutely. I like my Wii, but I haven't been playing it much lately. I plan on picking up the new Kirby and DK, but I'm a big budgeter(is that a word lol) and most of my spending money will be going toward a 3DS and games, then a 3DTV and 3D Blu-Rays around Black Friday. I might pick up a new smartphone/tablet in the summer, (not likely a 3D one) but that's only if my current phone continues its degenerative trend.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Razorkid

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1681 on: February 26, 2011, 03:41:15 PM »
I'm actually with Insanolord on this one.  If I could have analogues or ports of my favorite Wii games and all my vc purchases brought to my 3DS, I'd sell my Wii in a heart beat.

It's not because I dislike my Wii or motion controls (I love both). It's just that, for me, I get way more playtime opportunity with my handheld than my home console.  As it is right now, I game as much outside the home as I do at home! And when I do get the opportunity to sit down to game, 75% of it is devoted to my PC while the other 20% is on my Wii (5% on my PS3).

The release of the 3DS for me is almost like a new Nintendo console release.  I've owned and beaten almost all the Wii games I've wanted (25+) outside a handful of past gems I need to pick up and the few standout releases coming this year.  Outside that, I have absolutely nothing to look forward to on the Wii and as far as I'm concerned, it's in its golden years time (about 2-3 amazing standout releases a quarter interspersed with nothing but garbage  ::) ).

The 3DS is releasing just in time for me to pick up that slack and fill in those gaps between the last few mega hits the Wii has left in it.
"All the world is blind to my passing..."

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1682 on: February 26, 2011, 05:57:21 PM »
Nikkei: ''3DS first shipment was 400k, it sold out in minutes''
Quote from: Google Translate
Nintendou 26th, which was released the same day a three-dimensional (3D) display for a portable game machine, "Nintendo 3DS" it was announced the first shipment of 40 million strong. And a line for early morning turnout at electronics stores throughout is strong and seems to be minutes of the first day sales were nearly sold out.

The country is expected to supply about 150 million units by March 31. In the West, due out in late March, expects to sell 400 million units worldwide in fiscal 2010.

I think the numerical values have two 0's too many added.
40,000,000 (40 million) should be 400,000 & 150,000,000 (150 million) should be 1,500,000

also, it sold out in minutes!

MINUTES

MINUTES
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 06:09:18 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #1683 on: February 26, 2011, 06:19:34 PM »
Yeah, your right, it reads 40 ten thousand = 400,000 and 150 ten thousand = 1,500,000 respectively.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1684 on: February 26, 2011, 07:27:23 PM »
For anyone wondering how a DS game like Super Mario 64 will play with the slide pad then check out this video.

http://www.1up.com/news/video-super-mario-64-3ds
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1685 on: February 26, 2011, 07:51:55 PM »
For anyone wondering how a DS game like Super Mario 64 will play with the slide pad then check out this video.

http://www.1up.com/news/video-super-mario-64-3ds

in other words, it works fine with both the analog and digital pads. and you can use either one or both to your preference.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1686 on: February 26, 2011, 07:55:28 PM »
Wow, the people who post at 1UP are as bad as the people on Xbox Live. Do they not realize that you make yourself sound less intelligent by cursing in every single sentence? That's why I don't post on boards like that.

Anyways, good news. I can see some people going back and playing Super Mario 64 DS again thanks to the circle pad (I preferred Nintendo's original name of slide pad).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1687 on: February 26, 2011, 09:03:52 PM »
I'd think playing Mario 64 DS with the circle pad would be even worse than playing with the d-pad, or at least no better. It doesn't magically make it analog control; it's still digital, but now it's less precise because it's being converted to digital input from an analog mechanism.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: February 27, 2011, 06:48:05 AM »
I'll give it a try. I might even pick it up at launch. I never touched the DS version of Mario 64.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1689 on: February 27, 2011, 11:49:01 AM »
Now we know one MAJOR reason that Nintendo has delayed the first firmware update for 3DS and made sure it included stuff you will want (3DS Store and Web Browser)
http://kotaku.com/#!5771197/heres-the-3ds-already-running-an-r4-cartridge

I'm guesing that this is the underlying reason for delaying something that has likely been completed more-or-less months ago and it would make perfect sense to me too. Nintendo knows they have new security for the 3DS but also knows that the minute they release the hardware, someone is gonna try and test that security for oversights and exploits. So Big N holds back the first update to see what develops in the first 1-2 months after launch and then attempts to shut it down with a pretty much mandatory update to the firmware that everyone will want since it includes new features.

Offline NeoStar9X

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: February 27, 2011, 12:11:39 PM »
As soon as I saw that the those flash cards were working, at least for original DS games I figured that might be part of why the online store and browser were delayed. If those people were smart they would have waited as well but they jumped the gun. At least Nintendo could then get some of the earlier hacks taken care of I hope.

Another reason why I think the StreetPass is going to be significant. If you take your system anywhere with you, you run the risk of running into someone else that has the most recent firmware. While the wifi can be turned off I don't think this feature can, can it? Either they updated their system or got it from someone else they passed. So hack the system all you want, there is a good chance it could be undone by taking yours out of the house. Even then that might not work if you are in an apartment building or in a house that is very near another one either side. The person below, above, or next door to you could have an updated firmware. A wide net will be cast for the most part in key areas. Especailly in schools and school buses in the US at least.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1691 on: February 27, 2011, 12:20:37 PM »
StreetPass only works when the system in on (in sleep mode). If someone doesn't want to risk their system being updated through it, they can just turn their 3DS off.

I don't think R4 cards had anything to do with the delay for online features. I think Nintendo just wants to have all the promised features available at the same time (remember that the Wii had stuff like the Internet Channel and Forecast Channel come out after the Wii launched). I do see Nintendo doing firmware updates more often with the 3DS to combat piracy (I think the DSi only had 1 firmware update).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: February 27, 2011, 12:23:36 PM »
StreetPass can be turned off and people who hack their systems are not going to update the firmware anyway so I don't see how delaying the eShop fits into that. After every security update someone is going to find a workaround.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: February 27, 2011, 02:16:06 PM »
I doubt that they'll actually block the DS flashcarts from working - mainly because they've already sold what, 150 million DS systems, so no one is buying the 3DS to get into regular DS games, they're getting it for 3DS games - and because this does not allow you (and cannot allow you) to play 3DS backups. This only works with regular DS games, it doesn't even work with DSi games. To be honest, I doubt that they can even block them to begin with. 3DS flashcarts, yes, if that ever happens, they will no doubt be able to block them with updates.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: February 27, 2011, 05:29:31 PM »
Yes, this is for DS games, but if they can play R4 carts on the 3DS now, it's only a matter of time before someone finds some sort of work around to allow the R4 cards to work on DSi or maybe even eventually 3DS games. So my whole speculated point about delaying the 3DSshop was that EVERYONE will want to update their firmware to have the eShop and other features enabled, so sliding a few extra security updates in along with it is a no brainer.

If you are not gonna want to update your FW from the shipped version, then you have to buy a second 3DS so that you can access the eShop. Nintendo sorta wins either way since they profit on all hardware sold. There is no guarantee that R4 cards will ever read anything beyond a regular DS card, but I'm sure Nintendo was anticipating this to see how they can block the R4 card altogether on the 3DS in the first update that everyone will eagerly download as soon as it's available.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 05:34:34 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #1695 on: February 27, 2011, 05:55:50 PM »
I don't understand.

So R4 cards only work for DS games, and suddenly Nintendo has to be worried about them working on the 3DS whose carts are a little different from DS carts? I can't imagine the system being stupid enough to load a 3DS game from a DS cart.

If/when someone gets a 3DS R4 or whatever, it will likely be after the eShop launches since the hackers would also anticipating the firmware, because even if it doesn't have security updates it will make the system function differently, which will affect the hacker's program. Not to mention the time needed to write the program.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: February 27, 2011, 06:03:33 PM »
There were ways to trick a DS into loading DS software from a GBA flash cart, so being able to load 3DS software from a DS flash device wouldn't be unprecedented.

J.P. Corbran

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: February 27, 2011, 07:17:57 PM »
Unless I am mistaken, I believe you needed to have a DS cart in the slot to load a DS game from the GBA slot.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: February 27, 2011, 07:31:41 PM »
Yeah, whether it would work would depend on how Nintendo set up DS backward compatibility. It could also work via a hack to the firmware, such as the inevitable DS Homebrew Channel.

J.P. Corbran

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: February 27, 2011, 07:38:04 PM »
I don't understand.

So R4 cards only work for DS games, and suddenly Nintendo has to be worried about them working on the 3DS whose carts are a little different from DS carts? I can't imagine the system being stupid enough to load a 3DS game from a DS cart.

If/when someone gets a 3DS R4 or whatever, it will likely be after the eShop launches since the hackers would also anticipating the firmware, because even if it doesn't have security updates it will make the system function differently, which will affect the hacker's program. Not to mention the time needed to write the program.

I'll try to explain it differently since you don't seem to understand what I'm trying to get at here (there have been 2 new post since i started typing this).

Everyone wants the 1st FW update since it includes the eShop and Internet browser and stuff
Nintendo wants a public test on current security features to see if they have overlooked anything or to see if it gets circumvented too easily.
Nintendo holds back the 1 update everyone is sure to download and install so that they can include any such updates that may be necessary and be able to likely get the widest %age 3DS' to updates because of the includes bonuses (eShop, etc, etc,)

Now because of this testing in the wild, they know that the R4 cards work from the get-go and that people are using them on their 3DS'.
R4 cards could become a potential future problem on 3DS the same way it was on DS if someone finds an exploit through the R4 to allow for DSi or 3DS games,

So now Nintendo can likely put out a firmware that blocks the use of R4 at all and gets the widest spread of it's installation since the update also includes the eShop, Internet browser and other new stuff that every 3DS owner wants access to.
Not to mention any other tweaks that need to be made that weren't discovered until after the system released.

If they had launched the shop and browser right away, then alot of people might not have opted for the update and instead decide to just keep the systems off-network since they already have internet access and already transfered over all their previous software.

tl;dr - Security updates hidden within the 1st and most anticipated update to the 3DS that is most likely to be downloaded by the entire userbase as soon as available.

And from what I read, it's only a very specific type of flashcard that is able to work, so what I was speculating is probably even more likely that you think. Nintendo probably already blocked the use of every flashcard they had onsite and held back the first update to see which ones they may have missed. Now that they know that so far it's only 1 very specific card with a specific FW installed, they now have 3 months to write the new firmware to block out that one and any others they may have missed or never heard of.

Holding back the 1st FW update could be the 1st test of updating security measures over the network for their new OS.