Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS Discussion  (Read 551909 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo 3DS Discussion
« Reply #1175 on: September 30, 2010, 08:43:40 PM »
Most likely V and VI. I doubt Square Enix would "waste" a remake of VII on a handheld. They'd go all out HD crazy on that one.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: September 30, 2010, 08:51:39 PM »
Most likely V and VI. I doubt Square Enix would "waste" a remake of VII on a handheld. They'd go all out HD crazy on that one.

Why not both?

Also, could the 3DS be so successful and attractive to third party developers that developers who have traditionally stayed away from Nintendo systems could develop for the 3DS? Could Epic Games make a 3DS title? How about Bethesda or Bioware?

Many people will thank that I have lost my mind, but I would like to see a portable Halo for the 3DS. Yes, this is a Microsoft title, but if 3G were to be emplemented into the 3DS then a Halo Reach would be perfect on the go. Imagine designing maps in 3D.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 08:57:46 PM by Kytim89 »
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: September 30, 2010, 08:51:47 PM »

I dunno about that.  In the time it took Square to create and release Final Fantasy XIII, the Japanese gaming market shifted seemingly entirely towards handheld gaming.  Besides, this new generation of handhelds is looking pretty powerful.  I'm not so sure anymore that Square would want to sink the massive budget required into a total overhaul of FF VII for the 360/PS3 when they can sink a modest budget into a 3DS/PSP2 game that FF 7's nutty fanbase will buy anyway.  That's the problem with Final Fantasy 7: no matter how bad the product, its fanbase buys it (Dirge of Cerberus comes to mind).  Square threw away all pretense of having artistic integrity when they did that Compilation of FF7 a while back, so I don't see them not following the money now.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: September 30, 2010, 09:47:26 PM »
I dunno about that.  In the time it took Square to create and release Final Fantasy XIII, the Japanese gaming market shifted seemingly entirely towards handheld gaming.  Besides, this new generation of handhelds is looking pretty powerful.  I'm not so sure anymore that Square would want to sink the massive budget required into a total overhaul of FF VII for the 360/PS3 when they can sink a modest budget into a 3DS/PSP2 game that FF 7's nutty fanbase will buy anyway.
Square Enix should be and probably is more concerned about the global market. A console release would probably make them more money and its audience easier to market to as it draws an older crowd despite how hard Nintendo is trying to make 3DS appealing to that demographic. And considering how powerful 3DS is, I doubt the budget for a remake of this magnitude would be considered "modest." Admittedly, it'd probably cost less on 3DS, but if they really wanted to cut down on costs, they could have remade the game for Wii. It has the largest install base. A lot of people who want a remake probably already have the console even if it's sitting in a closet, collecting dust.
That's the problem with Final Fantasy 7: no matter how bad the product, its fanbase buys it (Dirge of Cerberus comes to mind).  Square threw away all pretense of having artistic integrity when they did that Compilation of FF7 a while back, so I don't see them not following the money now.
I'm not defending FFVII. In fact, I kind of agree. It was great back then though if they remake any FF, I'd love for it to be VI, but FFVII will never die. Its fanbase is too rabid and Square Enix is smart enough to know they can exploit it and continue to rofl-stomp its legacy by going back to the well for an easy buck. "Dirge of Cerberus is terrible.... but it's Vincent... can't stop playing... sh*tty game... must felate FFVII's proverbial peen..."
Oh, I know...

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #1179 on: September 30, 2010, 10:15:56 PM »
Didn't someone from Squenix say to remake FF7 on an HD console would take about 10 years to develop?

Then again, it's probably in the can right now and sitting behind one of those "In case of bankruptcy, break glass" walls.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: October 01, 2010, 05:05:44 AM »
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/10/01/3ds_firmware_updates/
Nintendo Looking To Fight 3DS Piracy Through Firmware Updates
System could see automatic updates through SpotPass. 3DS software to include firmware updates.
Nintendo is looking into implementing an automated firmware update system for 3DS, CEO Satoru Iwata said during an investors briefing on Wednesday.

During a Q&A session at the briefing, an attendee asked if Nintendo would be implementing anti-piracy measures via the internet. Replied Iwata, "As part of the functionality of SpotPass, we're looking into having automatic system updates via the internet."[

Iwata insisted that for both types of firmware updates, piracy prevention is secondary to offering new functionality to owners.

Daisy chained FW updates.....
that's one way to squash those custom FW.

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: October 01, 2010, 08:28:44 AM »

Nintendo is looking into implementing an automated firmware update system for 3DS, CEO Satoru Iwata said during an investors briefing on Wednesday.

During a Q&A session at the briefing, an attendee asked if Nintendo would be implementing anti-piracy measures via the internet. Replied Iwata, "As part of the functionality of SpotPass, we're looking into having automatic system updates via the internet."[

Iwata insisted that for both types of firmware updates, piracy prevention is secondary to offering new functionality to owners.

Yeah right.  I'll believe that when I see it.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: October 01, 2010, 11:17:47 AM »
So if the PSPGo was $250 and Sony says they sold what they expected (Like Nintendo said for  GBA Micro) $300 for the first ever 3D portable system makes sense, and its much more likely to be $250 but $300 wouldnt be ridiculous.
Also, it is very, VERY, unlikely the 3DS will have 3G. For one thing, it isnt as necessary in the density of Japan's soon to be nationwide wifi, and it would also require Nintendo to partner with an American company, which given their choice of GPU, seems farfetched. Also, major American cities are stepping up their wifi plans in 2011-2012 right in the 3DS's infancy, and in most cities its going to start at public transportaion hubs, and in some places, on the buses and trains themselves. (On a side note I'm hoping that this transforms into a lot of (eventually cheap) wifi only devices so we dont have to be chained to cell phone contracts.) With so many people (especially suburbanites) having home wifi, and with wifi in places of public transportation, thats plenty of internet exposure for the 3DS to get updates/play online that 3G would not only be redundant but an unecessary cost.

And if Nintendo wants to implement anti-piracy through firmware updates I'm on board, and hopefully other companies will take the same approach instead of saddling us with new forms of DRM. I want to watch 3D movies and T.V on the 3DS, and Nintendo having strong (perhaps monthly) anti-piracy measures will encourage more distributors to get on board.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 11:20:29 AM by MaryJane »
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: October 01, 2010, 11:37:46 AM »
I also wanted to say that multi-touch seems like a no brainer, and the 3DS might be the best new platform to launch a 'pure' FFVII remake because it would add a new feature Squenix could tout as the reason to buy this version rather than download the ROM. I dont think waggle (not to be derogatory towards the Wiimote) would go over as well, and the 3DS also offers significant graphical improvement which considering the original FFVII could be done on any system.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: October 01, 2010, 12:45:32 PM »
All this talk about remakes as well as the amount of them already announced thus far really makes me fear for the 3DS lineup.  The GBA had too many damn ports.  Any SNES game anyone slightly heard of got ported to it.  You know why we didn't get a new 2D Mario until the DS?  Because Nintendo knew they could get away with selling the old ones on the GBA.  There was no incentive to try.  Look back at the 2002 GBA lineup and Metroid Fusion is literally the ONLY original first party title for the ENTIRE YEAR.  It was unbearable.

The DS wasn't so bad about that and I think it was partially because Super Mario 64 DS had control problems.  Porting N64 games wasn't going to be so smooth so they didn't try it as much.  But the 3DS has the analog stick and it has this 3D feature to justify remaking every game under the sun.  We're just going to get swamped with ports.  So stop raving about how you want to repurchase this game or that game that you already own because you're just going to encourage it.  **** a Final Fantasy remake of ANY TYPE.  Give me a NEW GAME!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1185 on: October 01, 2010, 12:54:30 PM »

Yeah right.  I'll believe that when I see it.

I believe it's the other way around. StreetPass was conceived to pass the latest firmware update to surrounding 3DS' like the flu. Now the additional features like Trophy Fight in SSFIV3D is designed to hopefully prevent you from ever turning th feature off so that you don't block these invisible background FW updates that are accessed automatically when you pass into any Wifi hotspot or connect to any 3DS that has already downloaded it(daisy chained FW updating).

Some people might find a way to hack the 3DS, but if they ever play a multi-player game, or pass an open wifi connection with their streetpass enabled, they could et their FW updated and not even realize it.  Nintendo could also write these FW updates into the actual game software code so that to even play the games, a silent background FW check/update happened automatically without your knowledge. And I'm talking about embedding the code into the actual game code so that even if you somehow pirated it, you would have to dissect actual game code to not get a FW check/update.

And if Nintendo wants to implement anti-piracy through firmware updates I'm on board, and hopefully other companies will take the same approach instead of saddling us with new forms of DRM. I want to watch 3D movies and T.V on the 3DS, and Nintendo having strong (perhaps monthly) anti-piracy measures will encourage more distributors to get on board.

I'm all for it too. Just quadruple check these updates before sending them out like a virus upon the population and don't brick any systems that haven't violated any laws or been hacked.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 12:57:37 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: October 01, 2010, 04:23:49 PM »
We got some game announcements and release "dates" for 3DS games people

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/10/01/3ds_release_dates/
SPRING 2011

Nintendogs + Cats (Nintendo)
Pilotwings Resort (Nintendo)
Steel Diver (Nintendo)
Zelda Ocarina of Time (Nintendo)
Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition (Capcom)
Pro Baseball Spirits (Konami)
Ridge Racer 3D (Namco Bandai)
Samurai Warriors Chronicle (Tecmo Koei)
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask (Level-5)
Shanghai 3D Cube (Sunsoft)
Runabout for Nintendo 3DS (Rocket Company)
Cubic Ninja (AQ Interactive)
Fish On (ASCII Media Works)
SUMMER 2011

Earthpedia (Gakken)
TBA 2011

Kid Icarus (Nintendo)
Medalot for Nintendo 3DS (Rocket Company)
TBA

Star Fox 64 3D (Nintendo)
Animal Crossing (Nintendo)
Paper Mario (Nintendo)
Mario Kart (Nintendo)
Chocobo Racing 3D (Square Enix)
Resident Evil Revelations (Capcom)
Resident Evil The Mercenaries 3D (Capcom)
Dead or Alive Dimensions (Tecmo Koei)
3D Beauty Clock (Beauty Clock -- not officially announced)
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/10/01/3ds_from_smaller_publishers/
Cubic Ninja

From AQ Interactive, this action puzzle game gives you control of a cube-shaped ninja and has you attempt to escape a mansion. You'll need to deal with the various traps that fill the mansion, including breaking blocks and giant steel balls. You control the action by tilting the 3DS system.

The game also includes a mansion editor. You can create your own trap filled mansions and exchange them with other players.

A release is set for Spring.

Shanghai 3D Cube

This 3D puzzler from Sunsoft follows the basics of Shanghai, only you can view the puzzle in 3D. In addition to pyramids of mahjong pieces, the game also includes cube layouts. You'll be able to play in multiplayer as well. A release is set for Spring.

Earthpedia

And just like that, the 3DS has its first edutainment game courtesy of Gakken. Earthpedia is themed around the Earth, outer space and the world (it took me a while to accept it, but yes this is totally different from the "Earth" theme). The title promises to make use of the 3DS's 3D support, high resolution and accelerometer. A release is set for Summer 2011.

Fish On

ASCII Media Works is readying the 3DS's first fishing game. This true fishing game promises beautiful water visuals. You'll be able to move between points on the water in your boat, or you can choose to fish from various points around your lodge. A release is set for Spring.

Runabout for Nintendo 3DS

Climax delivers a new entry in its driving action series in this collaboration with Rocket Company. The concept of destruction as you race through the city to clear missions is unchanged for the 3DS version. A release is set for Spring. This game was announced at E3 as "Crash-City GP.

Medalot for Nintendo 3DS

The Medalot series comes to 3DS in 2011 courtesy of Rocket Company. The 3DS version promises the same customization, growth, collection and trading aspects of past entries. This game was announced at E3 as VS-robo.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 04:25:28 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: October 01, 2010, 06:19:24 PM »
I believe it's the other way around. StreetPass was conceived to pass the latest firmware update to surrounding 3DS' like the flu. Now the additional features like Trophy Fight in SSFIV3D is designed to hopefully prevent you from ever turning th feature off so that you don't block these invisible background FW updates that are accessed automatically when you pass into any Wifi hotspot or connect to any 3DS that has already downloaded it(daisy chained FW updating).

Some people might find a way to hack the 3DS, but if they ever play a multi-player game, or pass an open wifi connection with their streetpass enabled, they could et their FW updated and not even realize it.  Nintendo could also write these FW updates into the actual game software code so that to even play the games, a silent background FW check/update happened automatically without your knowledge. And I'm talking about embedding the code into the actual game code so that even if you somehow pirated it, you would have to dissect actual game code to not get a FW check/update.

I'm all for it too. Just quadruple check these updates before sending them out like a virus upon the population and don't brick any systems that haven't violated any laws or been hacked.

I think you missed my point.  I've got no qualms about the streetpass business.  What I am EXTRMEMELY skeptical about is Iwata's claim that piracy busting will run 2nd fiddle to adding new features.  They haven't inspired my confidence with the Wii.  What was the last patch on the Wii that gave us genuinely new features? 

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: October 01, 2010, 06:26:59 PM »
You have every reason to be skeptical. I'm a huge skeptic myself, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt here. 3DS is a complete change in tune for Nintendo.
"The biggest reason why we developed the portable [with high specs] is because," Nintendo president Satoru Iwata told investors earlier this week, "we didn't want developers to think that they couldn't develop their titles for Nintendo game machines due to the specs."
Source: Kotaku
Wait, what? Isn't this the same company that kept regurgitating that total bullsh*t "specs don't matter" line? Oh, they matter... when the people making the games are bitching about your hardware. And it only took Nintendo 4 years to figure out what everyone else in the world already knew. Perhaps they're turning over a new leaf.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: October 01, 2010, 06:29:46 PM »
How much are games going to cost though? I'm hoping for the usual DS price.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: October 01, 2010, 08:21:06 PM »
I think you missed my point.  I've got no qualms about the streetpass business.  What I am EXTRMEMELY skeptical about is Iwata's claim that piracy busting will run 2nd fiddle to adding new features.  They haven't inspired my confidence with the Wii.  What was the last patch on the Wii that gave us genuinely new features? 

nope. I got your point. I agreed with you in that I don't see new features taking a backseat to piracy blockting firmware patches. I just elaborated on why I think piracy is that main reason for this always on data push connection. New features and tacking on pointless side games (trophy fight... LOL?) are all just reasons to get you to NOT turn the service off so that they can data push to you all these anti-piracy checks.

Pachter says $34.99....

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: October 01, 2010, 08:30:24 PM »
@Ian: They make ports because they sell, and they sell because people like them. If there was an OoT or Star Fox64 for the DS/DSi your argument would have more validity but there are no partable versions of those games, and they're not giving us ports that were ported to the DS/DSi. And if you look at the list of games BnM posted you cannot say its all ports. As for 1st party games, that has been one of the industry's biggest complaints with Nintendo; that their users only buy Nintendo games. By throwing out ports Nintendo can make money, showcase the system's capabilities, and give 3rd party games a chance to sell at launch when people may only buy one or two games, especially with potential launch price. You can tell from the quote adrock posted and the fact that Nintendo took advice from outsiders on the 3DS's development, that Nintendo wants to make this a true Developers System (DS).

Games are probably going to be from $40-$50. Maybe something like Earthpedia or the inevitable sudoku games might be $29.99. Also, Nintendo probably learned rather quickly that they made a mistake in underpowering the Wii so significantly when developers started churning out games from their lesser studios, even multiplatform games, but what were they to do about it? Supply a whole bunch of 1st party games/casual games and encourage creative developers to keep making Wii games despite less than stellar sales. Upgrading the Wii's graphics any earlier than 4-5 years would be too expensive for their investors.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: October 01, 2010, 08:39:02 PM »
Muramasa: The Demon Blade headed to 3DS!?
http://www.siliconera.com/2010/10/01/marvelous-would-like-to-bring-muramasa-the-demon-blade-to-nintendo-3ds/
During the interview, we asked Group Manager of Marvelous Entertainment Inc., Tomio Kanazawa, what he thought of a Nintendo 3DS re-release of Muramasa: The Demon Blade, pointing out that the game could benefit from the system’s stereoscopic 3D effect.

“That’s a pretty good idea! That is one of the many things we think our fans want, and we want to provide to them,” he replied. “We at Marvelous Entertainment want to continue to meet and exceed the expectations from our fans as we continue to bring them new experiences.”

I didn't get it the 1st time around, but imagining it in 3D with the different layers makes me think that's how the game was meant to be presented in the first place. I would buy this for the 3DS, no doubt.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: October 01, 2010, 10:13:38 PM »
Why didn't Nintendo include the slid pad for the original DS?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: October 01, 2010, 10:34:19 PM »
because they hadn't invented it yet....?

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: October 01, 2010, 10:48:12 PM »
because they hadn't invented it yet....?

It jsut seems like such a simple invention that they could have thought it up long ago and put it on the DS in the first place.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: October 01, 2010, 10:48:42 PM »
Muramasa: The Demon Blade headed to 3DS!?
http://www.siliconera.com/2010/10/01/marvelous-would-like-to-bring-muramasa-the-demon-blade-to-nintendo-3ds/
During the interview, we asked Group Manager of Marvelous Entertainment Inc., Tomio Kanazawa, what he thought of a Nintendo 3DS re-release of Muramasa: The Demon Blade, pointing out that the game could benefit from the system’s stereoscopic 3D effect.

“That’s a pretty good idea! That is one of the many things we think our fans want, and we want to provide to them,” he replied. “We at Marvelous Entertainment want to continue to meet and exceed the expectations from our fans as we continue to bring them new experiences.”

I didn't get it the 1st time around, but imagining it in 3D with the different layers makes me think that's how the game was meant to be presented in the first place. I would buy this for the 3DS, no doubt.

Dude, you made the right decision ignoring it the first time around, a smarter decision than I made.  A fancy 3D perspective won't fix Muramasa's two big problems: tedium and monotony.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: October 01, 2010, 11:37:21 PM »
This cradle that the 3DS is supposed to sit into, what exactly is it? What worries me is that I like to put skins and a plastic shield on all of my DS systems and my soon to be 3DS and it wont fit into the cradle if I do so. The plastic shield helps reinforce the hinges and protect the system from damage and skins are mainly there for my own personalization.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: October 01, 2010, 11:50:56 PM »
Pachter says $34.99....

Yeah, that wouldn't be a bad price. Does he really know, or is it just his supposition?

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: October 01, 2010, 11:56:03 PM »
I would love to see a Snatcher port to the 3DS. The game is essetially a digital novel and the game seems like it could accomodate 3D fairly well.