Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS Discussion  (Read 551895 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo 3DS Discussion
« Reply #1150 on: September 29, 2010, 09:16:18 PM »
I just typed out a well thought out post in response to Kytim and hit send..... now it disappeared. no where to be found.

But I'm hoping that Nintendo is taking the sticker price shock approach where they announce a high price to encourage the last of the late adopters to go ahead and buy the DS this Xmas, give the early adopters time to come to terms with the high price and wait for the casuals/fence sitters to draw their line in the sand ($250 or forget about it!!> :( ).
Right after XMas is over, the DS line gets another price drop and the 3DS follows suit right down to $250 (the line in the sand).
Lots of the casual/fence sitters will draw a new line in the sand ($200 or less!! :@ ) but a large portion will take the bait and bite the bullet.
the rest will follow suit as they realize that it's not only popular but the only way to watch all this 3D content without an expensive TV that needs expensive glasses and be able to take it with you where ever you go.

But what UB said is more likely whats gonna happen.

fake edit:
To summarize my response to Kytim

Fluctuations have some to do with it but so does not pricing yourself out of the market.
The 3DS is gonna have to hit the ground running in the US and inviting price point comparisons is not the best way to do that when you are putting yourself into the $300 iPhone comparison chart.

real edit:
putting this here for safe keeping:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2010/100929e.pdf
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 09:50:45 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: September 29, 2010, 11:05:45 PM »
putting this here for safe keeping:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2010/100929e.pdf

ZOMG! I am so happy that DSi software transfers are permitted. This means I can buy the 3DS and give my DSi to my gf or sister or something.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ymeegod

• Score: -9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: September 30, 2010, 12:26:07 AM »
Wasn't surpised to see it costing nearly $300 though.  Supply is going be limited so why not charge more since people are going to buy it.

I don't see it dropping it's price to quickly neither, it'll only drop when it's sales do, namely 18 months down the line.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: September 30, 2010, 03:52:24 AM »
Lynx
Lynx

As an owner of a Lynx who loved it I'll tell you why it failed. BATTERIES!

You could fill that thing with plutonium based batteries and it wouldn't last more than an hour and a half.

The only reason I really liked it was because my family went on a lot of road trips at the time and I would just plug it in with the car adapter the whole trip.  If there was no plug nearby or you had to move the thing was worthless.

I want to play some APB right now but I didn't take the huge thing (barely fits into cargo pants) to China :(
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 03:53:57 AM by SixthAngel »

Offline KisakiProject

• Score: -8
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: September 30, 2010, 09:24:50 AM »
Sooo they admitted the $300 isn't cause it costs near that much to make.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/09/30/3ds_price/

They are really pulling a Sony on us.

Its gonna be fun if Nintendo doesn't announce 3DS  details in America until next year.  Lots of fun.

If they do do a pack - in what do you think it will be?  I'm leaning either pilot wings cause it shows off the Mii features or steel Diver cause it will flop at retail (yes I know it looks cool but there are probably five us that think that)

This feature actually really appeals to me

"Second—and perhaps less exciting—is the Nintendo 3DS's Activity Log, which acts as a pedometer that tracks your walking while carrying the handheld (and while wearing cool pants). The Activity Log also charts how much time you play the 3DS and how long you play games on the device."

It drives me nuts when games don't keep time in their save log.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 09:36:31 AM by KisakiProject »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1155 on: September 30, 2010, 09:52:22 AM »
Geez, you mean they actually want to make a profit? It's based on the simplest aspect of economics: supply and demand. One factor companies use to determine price for products are demand. The iPhone 4 costs about $188 to make, but the unsubsidized version (meaning you paying the full cost rather than AT&T paying most of it in return for you signing a 2-year contract) costs $499. They are able to get away with it because of its popularity. They are making profits of 165% on every iPhone they sell (whether the money comes from the consumer or AT&T), even more on the bigger iPhone.

They are not pulling a Sony, Sony screwed customers on price and still losing money (charging $600 and somehow still losing money). $250 will not be that bad
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: September 30, 2010, 10:09:58 AM »
They are not pulling a Sony, Sony screwed customers on price and still losing money (charging $600 and somehow still losing money). $250 will not be that bad

I don't see where Sony's initial PS3 price is an apt comparison.  They probably couldn't have charged less than $599 at launch, as they were losing a lot of money even at that price.  The price has only gone down over the years because the cost of the components has decreased.  Now, the PSP GO, on the other hand, is a different matter entirely.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1157 on: September 30, 2010, 10:13:47 AM »
Maybe that is what Kisaki meant, I forgot about the PSP Go (like many people). Still, we don't know how much the 3DS will cost Nintendo to make and they have good reason to expect to sell a lot at that price (unlike the PSP Go, the PSP was not that strong of a seller anyways but they expected to somehow do well with a price increase).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline KisakiProject

• View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: September 30, 2010, 12:16:51 PM »
Yeah I meant PSP GO.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: September 30, 2010, 01:06:46 PM »
If Sony managed to sell a few PSPGo's at $300 the 3DS which seems worth the price could do well at that point, and at $250 seems like a bargain.

The American media does seem poised to take a hard look at the 3DS, as they are already reporting the release "date" on CNN, so that will help the hype, and the "cool factor" will help sell it as well. 3D is the next big thing, and Nintendo jumped on the wagon at nearly the perfect time. Getting it out before Christmas in all regions would have been the perfect time.

I still say the AR cards are your bundled in game. In fact they're pretty much six bundled in games, and they're also a good way for Nintendo to get back in the card business ;) .
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1160 on: September 30, 2010, 01:10:41 PM »
The PSP Go was $250, not $300. The PSP Go bombed everywhere and could not be called a success in any possibly way. Of coarse a big part of why it bombed was that everything it did could also be done on the regular PSP, and for a cheaper price.

I am glad it is getting a lot of hype, I am sure it will get more when the US date and price are announced.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: September 30, 2010, 01:51:30 PM »
so whats this I hear about NWR reporting that 3DS has a multi-touch screen?

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/24173

I'd check the link, but the main site doesn't seem to be working right now.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: September 30, 2010, 02:02:33 PM »

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #1163 on: September 30, 2010, 02:04:31 PM »
so whats this I hear about NWR reporting that 3DS has a multi-touch screen?

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/news/24173

I'd check the link, but the main site doesn't seem to be working right now.

I read the link last night and even though it says you have to use to stylus to control the game the report mentions nothing about multi-touch. That would be nice though. Real nice.
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1164 on: September 30, 2010, 02:22:45 PM »
Why would you need to use two Stylii if multi-touch wasn't supported though?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: September 30, 2010, 02:25:34 PM »
Are you talking about this http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=32480.0 ?

the front page is working again, so now I know what was being linked to. That is the news story that was being linked to.
Looks like your multi-touch question hasn't been answered yet though.
That would be one stealthy way of leaking a feature that hasn't been announced yet.

Offline KisakiProject

• View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: September 30, 2010, 04:44:05 PM »
Speaking of AR did anybody get the DSi only retail game that was an AR game?  I wonder if it was good.  I've been looking at Eyepet and been tempted to get the Move bundle.  AR seems really cool.  Can you imagine an AR pokemon pet game?

I've been mulling over the price and $250 w/pack I'll be there day 1.  Anything more and I just think I can personally justify it.

Pachter thinks games will go from $30 to $35.  DS first party is foten $35.   Do you think it will follow PSP pricing and hit $40 for most titles.  Honestly its a pain and I lvoe when my PSP games are $30.  But given how big the dev costs are now and the amount of content in stuff $40 is justified.  Unlike the system price :P

Guys if they don't say anything until CES imagine the next 3 months....

This is the Ar DSi only game http://www.amazon.com/System-Flaw-DSi-Only-Nintendo/dp/B002QHXK2A/ref=sr_1_2?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285879770&sr=8-2
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 04:50:58 PM by KisakiProject »

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: September 30, 2010, 05:49:03 PM »
That $300 pricetag might actually work in Nintendo's favor. They can afford to drop the price whenever they so choose, even at the dismay of early adopters. If Sony launches PSP2 next winter for $300, Nintendo could effectively drop the price and undercut Sony while making 3DS look like a deal when really it's not.

I'm weary of buying any Nintendo handheld at or around the launch. I'm perfectly content waiting for the library of games to build up and for the inevitable redesign. As much as I want Resident Evil Jill Revelations (and sadly, Resident Evil: This-Used-To-Be-A-Free-Bonus-Mode-But-Now-We're-Charging-For-It Mercenaries too), I can wait.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: September 30, 2010, 07:24:18 PM »
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/30/square-enix-producer-thinking-about-before-crisis-final-fantasy/#comments

It appears that Square Enix is intereste in bringing Before Crisis Final Fantasy 7 to the 3DS. Could this mean that we will eventually get Final Fantasy 7 and the other compilation titles?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: September 30, 2010, 08:06:28 PM »
http://www.joystiq.com/2010/09/30/square-enix-producer-thinking-about-before-crisis-final-fantasy/#comments

It appears that Square Enix is intereste in bringing Before Crisis Final Fantasy 7 to the 3DS. Could this mean that we will eventually get Final Fantasy 7 and the other compilation titles?

I hope not.  Few things in the world would give me more joy than to see Final Fantasy 7 (as a branch of the franchise) die and fade from the annals of history.  For all its many flaws, I enjoyed that game (and still enjoy it) back when when I played it on my PC/PS3, but I am just...so...frickin'....SICK of that game's whiny fanbase who just won't let that game retire and be thought of as a beloved classic.  Every time a new Final Fantasy comes out, that entire fanbase starts whining and throwing a fit over the fact that it's NOT a remake of Final Fantasy 7, and it just drives me nuts.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 08:40:19 PM by broodwars »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1170 on: September 30, 2010, 08:13:08 PM »
The game has not aged well anyways. Most people who fondly remember it are remembering what they thought at the time. The actual graphics are pretty ugly by current standards, and gameplay either.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: September 30, 2010, 08:18:37 PM »
Just give me Crisis Core and Final Fantasy 7-9 remakes for the 3DS and I will be happy.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: September 30, 2010, 08:28:47 PM »
Just give me Crisis Core and Final Fantasy 7-9 remakes for the 3DS and I will be happy.

Why?  None of those 3 games are altogether remarkable (and 8 is one of the worst in the series, IMO), not even 9 (which, before I start getting protests, was enjoyable but also somewhat bland IMO).  I have heard good things about Crisis Core, though, and wouldn't be surprised to see it make the jump to 3DS.

If you really want a Final Fantasy for 3DS, look forward to the almost inevitable 3D remake of FF VI or (heaven forbid) a new entry in the franchise specifically made for the 3DS.  It's Square-Enix...you won't be waiting long.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: September 30, 2010, 08:34:30 PM »
...from the anals of history...
Quoted for lulz.

Anyway... the same could be said of everyone's beloved Ocarina of Time. 3DS remake? Check. Does Nintendo really need to pander to Ocarina of Time fans? Not really. A brand new Zelda title sans touchscreen controls basically gives you Ocarina of Time with new dungeons, puzzles etc. I mean, if they're going to redesign the entire Water Temple, why not just do one better and make a whole new game? Oh wait, $.

I'm not defending FFVII. In fact, I kind of agree. It was great back then though if they remake any FF, I'd love for it to be VI, but FFVII will never die. It's fanbase is too rabid and Square Enix is smart enough to know they can exploit it and continue to rofl-stomp its legacy by going back to the well for an easy buck. "Dirge of Cerberus is terrible.... but it's Vincent... can't stop playing... sh*tty game... must felate FFVII's proverbial peen..."

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: September 30, 2010, 08:38:05 PM »

Why?  None of those 3 games are altogether remarkable (and 8 is one of the worst in the series, IMO), not even 9 (which, before I start getting protests, was enjoyable but also somewhat bland IMO).  I have heard good things about Crisis Core, though, and wouldn't be surprised to see it make the jump to 3DS.

If you really want a Final Fantasy for 3DS, look forward to the almost inevitable 3D remake of FF VI or (heaven forbid) a new entry in the franchise specifically made for the 3DS.  It's Square-Enix...you won't be waiting long.

We are going to get FF 5 and 6 3DS and they wont stop with those two either. We are going to get 7, 8 and 9 and eventually 10 and 12. It is inevitable since this is Square Enix we are talking about here.

I also forsee a port over of Dragon Quest 7 and 8 since part 9 was so successful.

I do not want final fantasy 7 remade like a PSP game, but more in the style of OoT or Star Fox 64. Basically jsut go back and add polish and fix the blocky polygons. That is all I want from the game.

I am sorry to bring this tired subject up again, but I have the stern belief that Final Fantasy 15 will be a 3DS exclusive considering how handhelds are begining to dominate the industry in Japan.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 08:44:35 PM by Kytim89 »