Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS Discussion  (Read 551943 times)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo 3DS Discussion
« Reply #825 on: June 25, 2010, 01:46:34 AM »
This is really silly.

We don't need the games that are exclusive to certain systems to come over.  We need new franchises that use those ideas similar or better, that can become exclusive to Nintendo franchises.
I think that's really silly. What the hell is the difference? If the choice is between Gears of War and a new IP that's similar, we might as well just get Gears of War. Unless Nintendo owns the rights, it's technically not exclusive because that company can put it on anything they please.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: June 25, 2010, 02:13:32 AM »
Remakes of Dragon Quest 7 and 8 have a very good possibility of appearing on the 3DS considering that part and six is going to come out soon and the success of Dragon Quest 9.

I would not mind seeing remakes of Parasite Eve one and two. I really liked the sequel and would love to play it in 3D on the go. Xenogears would look pretty good in 3D too.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #827 on: June 25, 2010, 07:36:17 AM »
Adrock:  The difference is because people are asking for games that have been exclusive to certain systems and will likely not come out on the 3DS to come to the system.  They are asking for games that play a certain way and would expect the same feel which the 3DS may or may not be able to give.

But asking for original games, or games that have been already released on Nintendo systems helps establish those franchises further as Nintendo franchises...even if they are not totally exclusive.  And I like the idea of new IPs coming out...specially if it means those IPs are not locked into design and experience of the previous entries design.  By creating new IPs we potentiallynew experiences.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: June 25, 2010, 05:16:59 PM »
I'm still having a hard time understanding your point. You said, "We don't need the games that are exclusive to certain systems to come over." Nobody needs these games, but people want them and if 3rd parties are willing to give us series A or series B, why not accept them? It's not a matter of expecting them to play the same way. Rather, people expect the quality associated with those series which of course you can get with an original IP, but if I like Gears of War, I want Gears of War and no new franchise is going to change that. The best developers can make a great game despite some limitations. Chains of Olympus is a God of War game through and through yet Ready at Dawn was minus 1 analog stick and 2 shoulder buttons.

And people aren't not asking for original games. They want established IPs and new IPs. Greedy but logical. I wish I only had to buy one console for all my gaming needs. What I don't think people are asking for is a new IP that's just an established franchise in disguise. Why not just get the established franchise and have a new IP be its own thing?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #829 on: June 25, 2010, 05:26:17 PM »
Does Microsoft even have a say? They publish the series for Epic Games, but I was always under the impression that Epic Games owns the IP. I'm legitimately asking as I haven't been able to confirm ownership of the series. I googled it quickly then gave up. I vaguely remember reading in an old magazine (probably EGM) that Microsoft did hold some exclusivity for the franchise though that may only apply to the trilogy which they're publishing, rather than the entire series.

I think it'd be interesting to see Gears of War appear on Nintendo hardware. Mark Rein can finally shut the f*ck up.

Epic Games does own the IP, but Microsoft currently has the exclusive publishing rights. I don't know when it expires (or if it does, Disney must be pissed because the contract Sony signed with Marvel made it so Sony gets to keep the movie rights to Spider-Man forever as long as they keep making movies with the character. You know Disney wants to get the rights back ASAP, this is why Spider-Man won't be in The Avengers movie).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: June 26, 2010, 01:01:34 PM »
This has absolutely nothing to do with 3DS and everything to do with 3DS at the same time.

Crytek has 3D worked out for PS360 & PC for Free
"You will laugh now," CEO and founder Cevat Yerli told VideoGamer.com. "Our impact is 1.5 per cent. You play 2D or 3D, you have no difference. It's pretty much for free. People, when they ask how, I say it's our little magic.

"That's why we also can do it on 360. That's the ironic part of it. In a funny way, people banked their investment on PS3 or on other 3D solutions, thinking the 360 can not do it. I'm saying, well, we've proven it. Whenever we show 3D, we show it intentionally on 360 to make the point. It works. It works flawless on PS3, 360 and PC as well. It just works; and one-and-a-half per cent impact only. Out of 30 frames it's 0.4 frames. So you don't notice it. That's what I want to say."

"I use the term 'for free', with this game. It's so negligible. And people ask, how do you do it? I say, well, we do render only once. That isn't magic. But we create a second image out of the first one. But how we do it is the magic. That's the secret sauce. I'm happy that we figured it out!

I hope Nintendo figured it out too. If 3DS was providing those types of visuals with double frame rendering to account for 3D, then imagine what they could do if they didn't have to cut performance in half to render 3D but still display 3D for virtually free.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: June 26, 2010, 01:34:45 PM »

I hope Nintendo figured it out too. If 3DS was providing those types of visuals with double frame rendering to account for 3D, then imagine what they could do if they didn't have to cut performance in half to render 3D but still display 3D for virtually free.

Someone posted a video before with this guy who seemed pretty knowledgeable talking about the 3DS, and he remarked that because you could not affect the 3D effect of movies with the slider, it seemed that the game itself was rendering the 3D images. So whatever way the developers choose to create and use the 3D effect can be unique to their games. Which is great because if it was done through the system it could get awkward in certain parts of games that were meant to be in 3D to show you some vital part of the game. With the developers controlling it, they can work in a way to show you the 'vital part' in 2D since the game is immediately aware of the switch and changes accordingly. This could be one of the things developers asked Nintendo to put in since it seems so 'developer friendly'.

So Crytek's method can be used, or other methods, and it won't matter, it just needs to be coded to the 3DS specifications.

Edit: I forgot to say, that he also said the graphics weren't affected at all during the switch, so I'm thinking that the part of the GPU that creates the 3D effect may be only usable for that purpose.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 01:37:37 PM by MaryJane »
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #832 on: June 29, 2010, 09:29:39 AM »
I could've started a 'place yer bets' thread for this, but I didn't:

When are people thinking (hearing?) that we're going to get the full 3DS reveal? The vitality sensor also needs its big reveal. What Nintendo events are coming up where these two devices might make their big reveals?
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Peachylala

• Bunk Pass Itch
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: June 29, 2010, 11:47:37 AM »
The Vity Sensor is something that might not even happen anymore. The media wasn't really gung-ho over it, and with Nintendo being (slightly) more media sensitive after E3 2008, it could've been killed, very quietly.

Unless Nintendo's Fall Conference changes that.
Peachy got himself a 360 Slim. ...Yahoo?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #834 on: June 29, 2010, 11:51:25 AM »
What do you mean? It got its big reveal at E3 (and it was a great one). There are still some details we don't know, but we got the major stuff already.

Peach, officially they are still working on the Wii Vitality Sensor as they said the only reason they didn't show it off at E3 was because it wasn't the right environment for it (as E3 is not exactly the best place to show off something that is based on your stress level).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #835 on: June 29, 2010, 12:11:28 PM »
What major stuff? It does 3D and has an analog nub? We kinda already knew that...  

Where are specifics on the internals? The new online system? 3DSWare? Are we going to get WiiWare/VC on the 3DS? Pre-loaded software? (With the photo-editing software of the DSi and can't wait to see what they do for the 3D camera)What the hell is the purpose of the infrared? The final design? What kind of OS? Is there an app store? Is there VoIP? How much internal storage? How much are the new piracy measures going to affect the usability of the SD card slot? Is there rumble? Is the 3DS VC going to include classic GB/GBC/GBA games?

All they showed at E3 of the 3DS was the 3D screen works, the 3DS nub > PSP nub, and developers are lining up in major way behind it. The 3D cameras were an obvious inclusion, and they barely even mentioned them. While I was pleased with the lofty praise for the 3DS given by those lucky enough to experience it, I was quite disappointed by how little Nintendo actually told us about the system. They only showed us the obvious, I felt the E3 reveal was much like that first quick press release: just enough to keep us interested and talking, but little enough for them to adapt. I'm waiting to see the results of that adaptation, and am wondering when we will see it.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: June 29, 2010, 12:13:50 PM »
What do you mean? It got its big reveal at E3 (and it was a great one). There are still some details we don't know, but we got the major stuff already.

I'd say we actually don't.  We don't know the launch date, the pricing, the launch software, the final design, anything about the rumored MegaStylus.  We really don't know much beyond the prototype build shown for E3 and some of the software that may be in the works for it.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #837 on: June 29, 2010, 01:01:57 PM »
Place Yer Bets: When will the 3DS get its BIG reveal?

[] Tokyo Game Show (TGS)
[] Liepizig Game Conference, Germany (GC)
[] Spaceworld 2010
[] Nintendo's Fall Retailers Conference
[] Press Release
[] Press Leak
[] Other
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 04:11:08 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #838 on: June 29, 2010, 01:04:27 PM »
Place Yer Bets: When will the 3DS get is BIG reveal?

[  ] Tokyo Game Show (TGS)
[  ] Liepizig Game Conference, Germany (GC)
[ x ] Spaceworld 2010
[  ] Nintendo's Fall Retailers Conference
[  ] Press Release
[  ] Press Leak
[  ] Other

Nintendo is gonna bring back Spaceworld. If Activision can throw a $6million party with the meager profits from a onetime $Billion success that is MW2, just imagine what Nintendo can do with the record breaking profits 6 years and running from DS & Wii.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 01:06:29 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: June 29, 2010, 01:16:51 PM »

An accessorie like this would totally awesome. It does give the impression that the 3DS is the Virtual Boy 2. I would buy this just to use on my 3DS for nostalgia reasons.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #840 on: June 29, 2010, 01:28:31 PM »

[X] Tokyo Game Show (TGS)
[] Spaceworld 2010
[] Press Release
[] Press Leak
[] Other

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #841 on: June 29, 2010, 02:50:55 PM »
I think we will get the follow up the the big reveal (which was E3) at their fall conference in September. Nintendo doesn't do E3 (the closest they ever have was when Iwata gave the keynote address a few years ago and unveiled the Wii Remote, but Nintendo didn't have a booth that year).

I never said they gave all the details, but E3 was the big reveal for the system. MaryJane, it was not known for sure that it had had a analog stick (there was only speculation).

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: June 29, 2010, 03:34:33 PM »

An accessorie like this would totally awesome. It does give the impression that the 3DS is the Virtual Boy 2. I would buy this just to use on my 3DS for nostalgia reasons.

I want that new superscope.

[] Tokyo Game Show (TGS)
  • Spaceworld 2010

[] Press Release
[] Press Leak
[] Other

This is more wishful thinking but I would love for Spaceworld to make a grand return. More likely it will be TGS.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #843 on: June 29, 2010, 04:10:01 PM »
Caliban and Stratos, you really think they would pick this year to start showing up at TGS? I am just curious since they never show up there.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: June 29, 2010, 04:36:22 PM »
They might never have anything on the TGS show floor, but they do have announcements made to go along with TGS.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #845 on: June 29, 2010, 04:47:14 PM »
What if Nintendo just hired all their Deal or No Deal Booth Babes again and attached final 3DS hardware to their waist and just sent them throughout the entire TGS show floor. No Nintendo Booth, just a surprise Nintendo invasion of the entire Show.

Talk about Surprise of the show.

Imagine Iwata gives a keynote address or speech of some kind and then from behind the curtain he standing infront of pours out 200 Booth babes with 3DS's attached to them and they just start wandering the show floor, each with a different game, demo or feature they are presenting. How Awesome would that be?

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: June 29, 2010, 04:51:46 PM »
Heck of a preorder bonus if you ask me.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
« Reply #847 on: June 29, 2010, 04:56:10 PM »
I think we will get the follow up the the big reveal (which was E3) at their fall conference in September. Nintendo doesn't do E3 (the closest they ever have was when Iwata gave the keynote address a few years ago and unveiled the Wii Remote, but Nintendo didn't have a booth that year).

I never said they gave all the details, but E3 was the big reveal for the system. MaryJane, it was not known for sure that it had had a analog stick (there was only speculation).

What did they show of the system besides its 3D capabilities and the nub? OK fine the nub was speculation... so that's the big reveal??
We have a nub so you don't have to worry about internal storage! Their announcement that what they showed wasn't the final hardware proves my point even further. All they did was show off the screen and the nub, that's not much of a reveal.

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #848 on: June 29, 2010, 04:57:03 PM »
Place Yer Bets: When will the 3DS get its BIG reveal?

[] Tokyo Game Show (TGS)
[] Spaceworld 2010
[X] Nintendo's Fall Retailers Conference
[] Press Release
[] Press Leak
[] Other
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #849 on: June 29, 2010, 05:06:37 PM »
It's going to be a separate event like they did for Wii.  And it will just be scheduled probably 2-3 months before they do the launch.

Unless they feel like appeasing us whenever Japan announces the launch date and they give it to us then.

As many have said, I don't think this will be a worldwide launch.  Japan has more of a need to push the portable market along than the US does and I highly doubt manufacturing could support the numbers needed for a successful no massive shortages worldwide launch.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram