Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS Discussion  (Read 551979 times)

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Re: Nintendo 3DS Discussion
« Reply #800 on: June 23, 2010, 09:03:41 PM »
BlacknMild: 

I really hope that is how Nintendo decides to handle it.  By upgrading and improving their MyNintendo services they can greatly improve their download services.  Though you never had to use a My Nintendo account to download games from WiiWare or Virtual Console, I can see a push and explanation why it is important for transferring downloads is important.

But, I have a feeling people in my situation will still be screwed.  I sold my Wii, and before I did I decided to make sure I disconnected all digitial games from my Wii so that I could potentially get them back if I bought another Wii.  So I wiped the Wii's memory, AND disconnected it from MyNintendo account.  Now, after reading the terms in agreements as it stands I have no means to get any of those games back.  Basically, over $150.00 of games is gone to me and anyone else, because no one can play them. 

To me this is unacceptable.  Nintendo when they build the system, should take the MyNintendo Accounts as the starting point, and if it is registered as bought then can be transferred.  I am hoping for Virtual Console game transfers to future Nintendo systems, and possibly even the 3DS.  But I realize I probably won't be able to get that...and it makes me sad.

As for multitouch, it isn't a big lose because you are controlling with a stylus, and the screen is actually pretty small...I believe multi-touch might be cool, but would be limiting in all honesty.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: June 23, 2010, 09:06:36 PM »
It's funny that Nintendo who said the Wii is not in competition with the Xbox360 and PS3 is now saying that the 3DS is in competition with them...

I hope they're serious... I still think it would be great if the 3DS was the Wii2 and a simple dock connected it to your T.V and allowed you to use the WiiMote and other Wii accessories with it. Hell, the dock could even house a disc player, but all the output power comes from the 3DS. You obviously wouldn't be able to play 3DS games on your T.V, but you could play WiiWare, or V.C games on the 3DS. Which I think is going to be part of the 3DS regardless if it is the Wii2 or not.

They could even use the 3DS to transfer all of Wii stuff since it's going to that system anyway, and the 3DS is going to have much more internal storage than the Wii. I can say that with some confidence after reading that Reggie interview, because Xbox Live and like PSNetwork have a lot of media to download. It's not just games. He said they are going to offer more content? So... more than movies, T.V, DLC, full games, and music? Or just more ]b]of those things? Flash memory is getting cheaper and denser every day especially in the bulk numbers Nintendo would order.

HOLY ****! I just thought in response to BnM's earlier question about the financial thing: It could be Nintendo's own profit-sharing 3D youtube-like service! What other popular device is out there that captures 3D video and pictures? Youtube is ramping up their own 3D efforts right now, Nintendo could easily steal that market(which doesn't even really exist yet) from them especially by offering profit-sharing. Imagine if you subscribe to randompoops (just made that up) Ninten3Do's page, Nintendo automatically pushes his/her video's to you when they are uploaded. Or you could subscribe to a particular photographer and have the same happen, or even a friend, who would be able to post things in a more private manner, like 'only friends can see' but with much better safety and privacy than Facebook since this is Nintendo after all.

I also just thought that their "more" could just be because they will have movies and games in 3D as well as the 2D movies and games that are offered on their competitors networks.

Edit: I wanted to also say that in my house and in many other homes there is more than one DS(i). With the blue ocean appeal of the 3DS it won't matter if Grandma wants to bowl and Johnny wants to take his 3DS to work, she can have her own 3DS without it being horribly redundant like having 2 Wii's would be. Encouraging the purchases of multiple 3DS's could make-up for the lost sales of having one money printing machine rather than two. But only having to manufacture one system would also save them a lot of money. Since they can still make three (Wii/DSiWare as the third) types of games.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 09:12:25 PM by MaryJane »
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: June 23, 2010, 09:30:26 PM »
Nintendo has a history of cheaping out on things like that, so I don't know why you assume  they'd use a more advanced touch screen than they need to, especially considering what we've seen so far makes it seem like they're using the same exact screen as the current DS.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
Re: Nintendo 3DS Fantastical Land Specualtion!!!
« Reply #803 on: June 23, 2010, 10:55:07 PM »
Nintendo has a history of cheaping out on things like that, so I don't know why you assume  they'd use a more advanced touch screen than they need to, especially considering what we've seen so far makes it seem like they're using the same exact screen as the current DS.

From what I've read of the current DS screen is that it can actually detect 2 points of contact but since it's only programmed for stylus support, chooses a point intbetween the two to register as the point of contact. Just like the Original DS screen was also pressure sensitive and Nintendo never took advantage of that feature of the screen. There were Google phone that were also released and many months later a firmware update was released that allowed multi-touch.

It's funny that Nintendo who said the Wii is not in competition with the Xbox360 and PS3 is now saying that the 3DS is in competition with them...

I hope they're serious... I still think it would be great if the 3DS was the Wii2 and a simple dock connected it to your T.V and allowed you to use the WiiMote and other Wii accessories with it. Hell, the dock could even house a disc player, but all the output power comes from the 3DS. You obviously wouldn't be able to play 3DS games on your T.V, but you could play WiiWare, or V.C games on the 3DS. Which I think is going to be part of the 3DS regardless if it is the Wii2 or not.

I don't want to get to fantastical in speculation world here, but what if the dock was used as a portal to content from your computer or DVD/BRD player? You pop you 3DS in the dock and it goes into sync mode and become like a monitor for content from your computer when at home. So you could pop in a movie to your DVD player and the dock would TV-In it to the 3DS and you could view the content like your own personal 3DTV. That would put a little worry in to Sony and some of those 3DHDTV manufacturers.
$3000 3DHDTV + 3D glasses($150) x4 (=600) = $3600 or everyone has their own 3DS ($199)x4 = $800

That would be a wake-up call now wouldn't it.

They could even use the 3DS to transfer all of Wii stuff since it's going to that system anyway, and the 3DS is going to have much more internal storage than the Wii. I can say that with some confidence after reading that Reggie interview, because Xbox Live and like PSNetwork have a lot of media to download. It's not just games. He said they are going to offer more content? So... more than movies, T.V, DLC, full games, and music? Or just more ]b]of those things? Flash memory is getting cheaper and denser every day especially in the bulk numbers Nintendo would order.

HOLY ****! I just thought in response to BnM's earlier question about the financial thing: It could be Nintendo's own profit-sharing 3D youtube-like service! What other popular device is out there that captures 3D video and pictures? Youtube is ramping up their own 3D efforts right now, Nintendo could easily steal that market(which doesn't even really exist yet) from them especially by offering profit-sharing. Imagine if you subscribe to randompoops (just made that up) Ninten3Do's page, Nintendo automatically pushes his/her video's to you when they are uploaded. Or you could subscribe to a particular photographer and have the same happen, or even a friend, who would be able to post things in a more private manner, like 'only friends can see' but with much better safety and privacy than Facebook since this is Nintendo after all.

I also just thought that their "more" could just be because they will have movies and games in 3D as well as the 2D movies and games that are offered on their competitors networks.

I just want to plant a little bug in your ear. Google. I know that bug is already there, but I wanted to make sure you acknowledge it.
Think about this;
Google is working on a Nintendo started OS named ES OS, it shares similarities to Android and Chrome (Browser and OS)
Google worked with Nintendo on a game that involves it's search engine in a quiz show like setting
Google has Youtube which already has a good setup for viewing and uploading 3D user submitted content
Goggle just recently announced GoogleTV - a service meant to bring the power of the internet to the comfort of your TV.

Now compare that to everything that Nintendo is currently trying to accomplish moving forward in a race for the consumer mindshare, time and dollar.

Nintendo needs a UOS to run it's future systems starting with the 3DS, This UOS needs to be competent, powerful and have lots of internet and social features built into it. (ES OS?)
Nintendo wants to move forward with more online connectivity and a more robust online experience for the games and system alike.
Nintendo want to offer up more content starting with the 3DS with it's specialized glassesless 3D viewing screen and make it more sociable as with users maybe uploading 3D videos & pics to share with other 3DS users (Might we get a specific Nintendo Channel on Youtube specifically for 3DS users?)  and does Youtube not allow you to monetize your heavily viewed content supported by ads?
And how is Nintendo gonna get all this content from content providers to be formatted specifically to work on the 3DS? Sure a few movies have signed on and more are likely to come, but are they gonna work directly with Cable Providers, Movie Studios & Independent film/TV studios to keep that content steady and profitable? Google has the time and resources for that kind of undertaking and with Google TV is already in the process of making those kind of relationships. Why not partner with them and catch the competition off guard on multiple fronts?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #804 on: June 23, 2010, 11:47:38 PM »
Back to reality
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GS: Ninendo to make "Serious" 3DS titles
While Nintendo's focus seemed to be squarely on first-party development, the publisher also stressed that the 3DS would also launch with ample third-party support. The company has now reiterated its aim to better embrace external publishers, with Nintendo president Satoru Iwata telling Japanese news service Nikkei that he intends to work more closely with developers in order to "expand into elaborate games targeting serious gamers".

The wave of third-party titles announced so far for the new Nintendo handheld seem to back up Iwata's statements, with titles like Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D - The Naked Sample, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Pro Evolution Soccer, Dead or Alive 3D, Resident Evil Revelations, Ninja Gaiden, Pac-Man & Galaga, and Dragon Ball would all be coming to the 3DS, as well as a spate of unnamed titles from developers like Harmonix, Take-Two, Atlus, AQ Interactive, Disney Interactive Studios, Hudson Soft, Majesco, Marvelous Entertainment, and Sega.

In the Nikkei interview, Iwata went on to suggest that the current DS and its software only caters to those who do not play games, something that he hoped to rectify with the 3DS in terms of advances in graphics and gameplay. Recognising this shift in focus from first-party to third-party development, Iwata told Nikkei that Nintendo went to great lengths to incorporate software developers' requests when making the 3DS, and called on these developers to make games for the new system.

"These partnerships are good for both Nintendo and the software developers," Iwata said.

I guess we know how Nintendo got such stellar support from the 3rd parties out of the gate this time around (besides the 3DS being the follow-up to the most successful gaming hardware ever). 3rd parties are excited to work on the hardware since they got to make suggestions towards it's creation. I like where this New Nintendo is headed and hope that they get it all right this time and have no innovations for innovations sake that only complicate a simple matter like the infamous Friend Codes.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: June 24, 2010, 12:39:26 AM »
I hope that Nintendo warms up to developers who have not traditionally supported the DS in past such as Bethesda, ID, Epic, Bioware and several others and encouyrage them to bring their grade A titles to the 3DS.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #806 on: June 24, 2010, 03:15:14 AM »
DOOM 3DS

you heard it here first.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #807 on: June 24, 2010, 03:37:39 AM »
Sega Talks 3DS

Aliens & HotD 3D incoming?
"It was interesting to see games like 'Saint's Row' on the device," Sega West president Mike Hayes told GamesIndustry.biz. "If we could bring, let's say, a House of the Dead or an Aliens title, if the audience for 3DS is much broader it could give us much more scope in that market, and that's as exciting as well as Mario & Sonic and Monkey Ball games."

In the meantime, Sega seems to have a lot of faith in Nintendo's new portable platform, and Hayes piled praise onto the company's foresight.

"Whilst 3D TV is quite an amazing technology advancement, and many companies will get into that, Nintendo will now create this huge business with their own unique piece of technology that very few if any, will be able to copy," Hayes said. "That's Nintendo over and over again, it's fantastic. For us as a third-party it's a great leg up in terms of the portable business."

On a side note, as someone who grew up during the Super Nintendo/Sega Genesis wars, comments like this from Sega will never cease to remind me of how much things have changed in the last decade and a half.

I mostly posted this for that quote and the side not.
It just blows my mind that this is Sega talking about Nintendo here.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #808 on: June 24, 2010, 11:49:57 AM »
DOOM 3DS

you heard it here first.

Gears of War 3DS

You heared it here first.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #809 on: June 24, 2010, 01:11:45 PM »
DOOM 3DS

you heard it here first.

Gears of War 3DS

You heared it here first.

Yeah, I don't think MS is letting go of that one just yet.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #810 on: June 24, 2010, 01:30:24 PM »
Epic Games has already expressed interest in taking it multiplatform, and Mark Rein has made it clear that they control the fate of the franchise.

Besides, Microsoft has made it clear that they have no problem with Nintendo handhelds (partially because MS doesn't have a handheld system, but I suspect it's also because they are happy to hurt Sony any chance they can). I do think it's possible to see Gears of War 3D soon (it looks like the standard will be to use "3D", not "3DS" in game names).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #811 on: June 24, 2010, 01:38:36 PM »
Epic Games has already expressed interest in taking it multiplatform, and Mark Rein has made it clear that they control the fate of the franchise.

Besides, Microsoft has made it clear that they have no problem with Nintendo handhelds (partially because MS doesn't have a handheld system, but I suspect it's also because they are happy to hurt Sony any chance they can). I do think it's possible to see Gears of War 3D soon (it looks like the standard will be to use "3D", not "3DS" in game names).

Basically the game would appeal to hardcore gamers and bring them to the 3DS. The 3DS certainly has the power to pull off a handheld Gears of War game from what I saw and who would not want to chainsaw a Locust Drone with 3D effects?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #812 on: June 24, 2010, 02:05:01 PM »

But MS is money hatting the franchise. I doubt they would let Nintendo have it.
What MS should do though is release a Viva Pinata on 3DS and try to out do Nintendo's own Animal Crossing on their own handheld.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #813 on: June 24, 2010, 02:49:37 PM »
And the cycle repeats.  New Nintendo hardware.  Everyone on the forums start listing exclusives from other platforms, thinking they'll come....

Will the cycle continue or break this time?
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Louieturkey

• Terrifying fantasies
  • Score: -3
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: June 24, 2010, 03:12:32 PM »
It'll fall apart.  It just does.  I'm sure God of War will come to the 3DS.  No reason why it wouldn't. :P

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #815 on: June 24, 2010, 03:30:54 PM »
Halo 3DS!!!

Because MS will apparently do anything to hurt Sony even if it means hurting themselves.
Right TJ ;)

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: June 24, 2010, 05:08:01 PM »
And the cycle repeats.  New Nintendo hardware.  Everyone on the forums start listing exclusives from other platforms, thinking they'll come....

Will the cycle continue or break this time?
I feel like the difference is that said exclusives were shown instead of having developers talk about how they're interested in the platform. I guess some or all of those games could be canceled or something but at least they were shown so that's still a good sign.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #817 on: June 24, 2010, 09:08:17 PM »
Halo 3DS!!!

Because MS will apparently do anything to hurt Sony even if it means hurting themselves.
Right TJ ;)

If the 3DS has a robust set of third party titles like a Halo 3DS game, then Microsoft could contribute to pushing Sony out of the handheld scene. Unless they release the PSP 2 soon, the PSP is doomed. I can almost see Microsoft helping this to happen.

Offline nickmitch

• You can edit these yourself now?!
  • Score: 82
    • View Profile
    • FACEBOOK!
« Reply #818 on: June 24, 2010, 09:28:56 PM »
Halo 3DS!!!

Right TJ ;)

Wasn't there a Halo DS gam that was in the works, but got canned? I remember seeing a video of on IGN (I think), but I don't remember if it was real or not.
Anyway, MS already gave us Viva Pinata, so we know they're will to put titles on the DS. I just doubt they'll do any of their big guns (Halo, Gears, etc)
TVman is dead. I killed him and took his posts.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #819 on: June 24, 2010, 10:06:33 PM »
Halo 3DS!!!

Right TJ ;)

Wasn't there a Halo DS gam that was in the works, but got canned? I remember seeing a video of on IGN (I think), but I don't remember if it was real or not.
Anyway, MS already gave us Viva Pinata, so we know they're will to put titles on the DS. I just doubt they'll do any of their big guns (Halo, Gears, etc)

The idea of the Xbox 360's big guns making a debut on the 3DS depends on five things.

First, Nintendo's willingness to persuade developers who have for the most part stayed away from Nintendo products in the past. For example, Nintendo should invite the representatives of such companies as Epic games, ID Software, Bioware, Bethesda, etc, to a press conference that they are hosting for the 3DS(price and release announcment?) and then talk about how the 3DS is the place to be for handheld gaming and that it will be the future. Nintendo would then offer sweet heart deals to whom ever they invited to the conference. A tearyed eyed Cliffy B goe on to make a Gears of War for the 3DS.

Second, is the success of mature content on the 3DS. This may be a hinderance as well, but with Nintendo seeming to appease the hard core market with this DS system, I see hard core titles carving out a niche on the 3DS. However, we have to consider that mature games have not done so well on Nintendo devices in the past, but my wager is that the poor graphics on the DS turned a lot of hard core mature off from owning the DS and the game itself. We have to wait and see just how well mature content does on the 3DS before ambitious titles such as Gears 3DS become a reality.

Third, Microsoft has to bewilling to be allow their big named titles to move to the 3DS and how bad do they want to do Sony in. Oviously they will want to retaliate towards Sony for Blue-ray taking over the DVD market.

Fourth, all of the major console franchises are having iterations on handhelds. Look at all the IPs on Nintendo's handhelds compared to their consoles. On top of this we have Resistence: Retribution, God of War and possibly/soon Uncharted for the PSP. These HD titles all got hand held iterations and the Xbox titles must have them sooner or later. Unless Microsoft is planning to enter the handhel market, the only way they can battle Sony with hand held versions of its major games is through the Nintendo 3DS. Think about it, they would not have to encur the huge development costs of their handheld and they would access to Nintendo's 100 million plus cutomers.

Fifth, Depending on how appealing the new internet structure will have plays a big part in the appeal of bringing major console franchise to the 3DS. Hypothetically, imagine sitting at a bus stop and playing online battle arena for Gears of War 3DS using a wifi hotspot. The technology would be so refined that there would be little difference to the online service of let's say the Xbox live. 
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 10:08:36 PM by Kytim89 »

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #820 on: June 24, 2010, 10:18:36 PM »
Halo 3DS!!!

Right TJ ;)

I think you know stuff like that make my eye twitch, lol.

nick, I think it was never "officially" confirmed; but yeah, at one point Microsoft was letting a Halo game be made for DS.

Microsoft themselves have never actually supported the DS. While they let Rare develop some games for it, they never published them (for example, THQ published Viva Pinata: Pocket Paradise). I don't think Microsoft would care if Epic Games wanted to make a 3DS version of GOW, they would only care if they wanted to make a PSP version.

Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: June 24, 2010, 10:58:35 PM »
Does Microsoft even have a say? They publish the series for Epic Games, but I was always under the impression that Epic Games owns the IP. I'm legitimately asking as I haven't been able to confirm ownership of the series. I googled it quickly then gave up. I vaguely remember reading in an old magazine (probably EGM) that Microsoft did hold some exclusivity for the franchise though that may only apply to the trilogy which they're publishing, rather than the entire series.

I think it'd be interesting to see Gears of War appear on Nintendo hardware. Mark Rein can finally shut the f*ck up.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #822 on: June 24, 2010, 11:06:44 PM »
This is really silly.

We don't need the games that are exclusive to certain systems to come over.  We need new franchises that use those ideas similar or better, that can become exclusive to Nintendo franchises.

We don't need Halo, Gears of War, or God of War.

We need No More Heroes, Red Steel 3D, ect...with new awesome franchises that can be steal the best elements of the other games and make them there own.

I think the DS has already shown mature games can sell.  All genres sell on the DS, because the user base is just so large it caters to every demographic.  There is no reason to doubt that the 3DS won't be equally successful or more so.  And the quicker 3rd parties jump on the system the quicker they can help shape the demographic they want to support their games and support the 3DS.   

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
« Reply #823 on: June 24, 2010, 11:09:18 PM »
The biggest question I have in regards to bringing such huge titles like Gears of War to 3DS is whether the machine can handle the unreal engine, or some derivative of the engine. This will be key to attracting more ambitious titles like Gears and Mass Effect. I would not mind seeing a Batman Arkham Asylum-esque game for the 3DS as well.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: June 25, 2010, 01:08:27 AM »
id totally buy Gears of War 3ds, day one
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post