Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS Discussion  (Read 551958 times)

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
"I'm pretty sure you took his statement out of context."

That's a given.  He really doesn't follow what goes on here.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
I am still confused that we are still talking about Tegra.  I was almost positive IGN commented that the chip would not be used.  Besides, it has been known that Nintendo has been shrinking the Gamecube hardware....it would be cheaper and probably more efficient to Nintendo to use what it has already been putting R&D in. 

I am looking at a $200.00 price range...or a $249.99 with a pack in game like Wii Sports.  Actually I am almost positive Nintendo will include a pack in game no matter what the price.  I think the Wii was successful because for one price you got the "Wii experience" right out of the box.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
I quoted MaryJane, not you. The fact that I quoted MaryJane (not you) and replied to MaryJane's comment (not yours) would seem to imply I was responding to MaryJane.

It was not taken out of context either because MaryJane stated two things as fact and they said the rest was speculation, so MaryJane clearly was trying to say this was fact.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
I quoted MaryJane, not you. The fact that I quoted MaryJane (not you) and replied to MaryJane's comment (not yours) would seem to imply I was responding to MaryJane.

It was not taken out of context either because MaryJane stated two things as fact and they said the rest was speculation, so MaryJane clearly was trying to say this was fact.
Do you still have doubts that 3DS is the final name?

Quote from: neo2046
Nintendo scoops up multiple 3DS-related domain names
http://www.nintendo-master.com/xtnews/news-23732_et_si_la_3ds_sappelait_tout_simplement_la_nintendo_3ds_.htm

nintendo3ds.com
nintendo3ds.fr
nintendo3ds.de
nintendo3ds.co.jp
nintendo3ds.net
nintendo3ds.org
nintendo3ds.info
nintendo3ds.mobi
nintendo3ds.in
nintendo3ds.us
nintendo3ds.co.uk
nintendo3ds.se
nintendo3ds.be
nintendo3ds.eu
nintendo3ds.pl
nintendo3ds.gr
nintendo3ds.nl
nintendo3ds.at
nintendo3ds.ca
nintendo3ds.es
nintendo3ds.ru
nintendo3ds.ch

Looks like Nintendo doesn't.

Or likely they don't want to take a chance that someone else would register those in case Nintendo does want that to be the name (like that guy who registered domain names like paris2012.com and paris2016.com so that the French government would have to buy them, France sued the guy for domain squatting and won).

Also, I never said Netflix couldn't possible happen. I said that it has been announced or even rumored (unless you count speculation and wishes by forum posters), so it's not true to say "we already know" it will have that. You can't know something to be true when it is just random speculation from people and has no basis in true.

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile

I wouldn't say fact, more like ridiculously probable speculation... at this point saying the 3DS will have two screens is technically speculation... the DS stands for Developer System according to Nintendo, not Dual Screens, and all they have said about the 3DS is that it will have no-glasses 3D and be the DS's true successor. Makes you wonder what is going to be the giant leap from the current line of DS's...  

BTW I'm taking all bets that Netflix will be on the 3DS.... starting at $1,000,000 Euro!!!!!!

I am still confused that we are still talking about Tegra.  I was almost positive IGN commented that the chip would not be used.  Besides, it has been known that Nintendo has been shrinking the Gamecube hardware....it would be cheaper and probably more efficient to Nintendo to use what it has already been putting R&D in.

IGN is still saying that Tegra is rumored... its pretty difficult to prove a negative(i.e its not being used) without an official announcement, and when you consider that AMD would have to remake an old and outdated chip in a smaller form factor (imagine the R&D costs of THAT) compared to Nvidia having a proven mobile chipset sitting ready for someone to pick up and use, I think the Tegra is the clear choice, especially since the Tegra 2 is just as/if not more, powerful as/than the GC GPU flipper? dolphin? shamu? i forget what it was called and it is definitely more power efficient than the GC GPU/CPU combo.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Latest rumor I heard was that no one knew for sure if it was Tegra/2(probably not the final chipsets in the dev kit) but it was about as powerful (graphically) as a GC, whose chipset was outputting 480p and was already equipped to handle 3D since back in 2001.

Which leads to the hint from Iwata that the GC GPU was already 3D capable, which means that the Wii is 3D capable, which leads to speculation of a shrunken GC GPU(big reason for HUGE R&D spending over the last 5-6 years) paired with a Arm 9 cpu for DS BC. The GC chipset also was ARM based, so it's already likely very BC with the current DS setup.

Now if that speculation is true, do you think Nintendo would toss that investment out the window and go with Tegra 2 (that Nvidia was quick to try and attach to a new Nintendo handheld ever since sometime last year <check the rumor thread>) after spending so much on shrinking the original chipset?

I'm also sure that Nintendo doesn't want Nvidia's name anywhere on the outside of the hardware, so who ever suggested/implied that, I don't think that would happen. Nvidia would have to settle for just getting in the game to begin with.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
the DS stands for Developer System according to Nintendo, not Dual Screens

Actually, according to Nintendo it officially stand for both.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
Does being able to handle 3D in 2001 mean that it can handle the 3D of 2010? I'm not saying that it doesn't, but a lot has changed in 9 years. Also, wouldn't researching portable 3D technology lead to HUGE R&D costs? And if Tegra costs even 1cent loss than the manufacturing of the portable GC structure, then yes I do believe they would dismiss the portable GC idea. That 1c adds up when you're talking about moving 125 million units.

Honestly a big part of me is hoping that the Tegra (2, 3D or whatever) is used in the 3DS. I think there is a lot of potential in the technology, and a system like the 3DS could really showcase that and lead to big things for other mobile platforms. And a tiny Nvidia logo on the bottom of the system to save millions and millions of dollars would just be a good idea, not saying it's going to happen.

@tj: oh, I didn't know that...
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
I hope it uses Tegra 2 also, just because of the potential of the chip. I'm pretty sure it would place the 3DS as somewhere between a Wii<<|<<<<360 and the multimedia features of the chip would rival the iPhone4Gs and iPad 2.0

It's just that after they've already sunk 100's of millions into shrinking the chipset (assuming that's what they've been spening the money on) that would throw all that time & money away to license someone else's tech and tweak it for 3D might not be Nintendo's way of doing things.

And yes, a chip that can handle the left/right division of the image in 2001 would still be able to handle the same kind of 3D today. The problem from back then is that there was no display technology that was commercially available at a consumer level to take advantage of the built in feature.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
That is not saying it will happen, he just says that is is technically possible for the DS to do it. The GameCube could play 3D games, but it never did. The Wii can technically play DVDs, but it's not enabled. Saying that the DS technically could stream Netflix doesn't mean that the 3DS will (or that the DS will).

You said it hasn't even been hinted at.

I say that, with NetFlix issuing surveys to gauge interest and Reggie's comments, that's a pretty good hint that - at the very least - they're looking into the possibility of it.
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
For some reason I just find the idea of a portable Gamecube not a good idea. I mean  it seems too early to have a portable GC when the wii is pretty mch already a GC and the actual system has not been off the market for very long. However, I would prefer to think of the system atleast as the N64 2, or Nintendo's PSP in the sense of graphical output. Althought the prospect of carrying around some of the good GC games in my pocket seems very appealing.

The 3DS will most likely be the closet thing we get to the wii 2 if the machine does have motion controls. Nintendo will allow the 3DS, Natal and move settle into the market before they decide on what to do with the next wii system.

As for Nintendo sacrificing battery power for the 3DS, is there any device, particularly handhelds, that has a battery that does not deplete quickly?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline MaryJane

• View Profile
For some reason I just find the idea of a portable Gamecube not a good idea. I mean  it seems too early to have a portable GC when the wii is pretty mch already a GC and the actual system has not been off the market for very long. However, I would prefer to think of the system atleast as the N64 2, or Nintendo's PSP in the sense of graphical output. Althought the prospect of carrying around some of the good GC games in my pocket seems very appealing.

The 3DS will most likely be the closet thing we get to the wii 2 if the machine does have motion controls. Nintendo will allow the 3DS, Natal and move settle into the market before they decide on what to do with the next wii system.

As for Nintendo sacrificing battery power for the 3DS, is there any device, particularly handhelds, that has a battery that does not deplete quickly?

The DS...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile

The DS...

The GBA...

The Gameboy...

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
Nintendo never sacrifices battery life for anything, no matter much power we want or how bright the screen should be.

No way Nintendo is just going to let Natal and Move just settle into the market before making decisions about what to do next. You can bet your butt they already know exactly what they will be releasing as far as major features on the Wii2. The moment a system is released Nintendo is already working on whats next, and undoubtedly planned for Microsoft and Sony playing catch up.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Shorty McNostril

• Blue text is gone :(
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
If this movie thing happens they might release a small external support battery pack for it if they aren't happy with the built in battery life. 

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
Nintendo never sacrifices battery life for anything, no matter much power we want or how bright the screen should be.

My DSi begs to differ.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
If this movie thing happens they might release a small external support battery pack for it if they aren't happy with the built in battery life. 

Chill, it's not like the hardware has to spin UMDs or anything like that.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Also, what if 3DS only has one screen?
I think full backwards compatibility with DS kinda rules that out.
I don't think Nintendo ever said there would be 2 screens. I think we all just assume it will. I mean, it probably will. I was just postulating a fun theory. What would Nintendo really lose if they ditched backwards compatibility? That's a serious question. I'm curious what people think.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
It's a moot point since being backwards compatible (which Nintendo has confirmed) means there will be two screens, it's just not possible to do it with just one.

I don't see any positives for Nintendo to remove BC from the 3DS.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Also, what if 3DS only has one screen?
I think full backwards compatibility with DS kinda rules that out.
I don't think Nintendo ever said there would be 2 screens. I think we all just assume it will. I mean, it probably will. I was just postulating a fun theory. What would Nintendo really lose if they ditched backwards compatibility? That's a serious question. I'm curious what people think.

Like OH MY GOSH it was only announced 2 months 12 pages ago.

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/forums/index.php?topic=30917.msg595233#msg595233

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
Well, couldn't you do that with one large touchscreen? Just saying...

And Nintendo has slowly been stripping away backwards compatibility. Gameboy Micro and DS couldn't play Gameboy/Gameboy Color games. DSi shed the GBA slot. I guess one could argue age as a factor and Nintendo didn't rid new hardware of backwards compatibility until those older platforms have been long abandoned. DS is still kicking. At the same time, it's not like Nintendo never promised/announced something that they never delivered. Wii DVD dongle comes to mind. Not the same thing, but still...

I always viewed backwards compatibility as a luxury rather than a necessity. See, I've always held onto my legacy systems so backwards compatibility was never an issue for me. It's convenient, but I like keeping my old systems. Yes, I realize that not everyone does. However, I think Nintendo would be just fine without it.
I don't see any positives for Nintendo to remove BC from the 3DS.
Here's a positive: cuts costs which, hopefully, gets passed to the consumer. The 3DS chipset either needs to be compatible or must emulate legacy DS games. It'd just be much easier and cost efficient for Nintendo to just put a Tegra 2 in there and call it a day. I'm just playing devil's advocate. DS has reached a saturation point where people's DS's have their own DS's. Ditching backwards compatibility won't hurt anyone in the long run. Nintendo could easily get away with it. People would pissed off for like a month before they forget it's gone.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
They only seem to remove backwards compatibility when it becomes unreasonable (like a media switch from carts to disc with N64 and GC) or when it just gets very old (no GB/GBC on DS, no GBA on DSi).
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
    • View Profile
They only seem to remove backwards compatibility when it becomes unreasonable (like a media switch from carts to disc with N64 and GC) or when it just gets very old (no GB/GBC on DS, no GBA on DSi).
Yeah...
I guess one could argue age as a factor and Nintendo didn't rid new hardware of backwards compatibility until those older platforms have been long abandoned. DS is still kicking.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
From what we know of Nintendo Handheld history (it will be ARM based), we could reasonably say that removing DS BC from 3DS would be like removing GC BC from Wii.

Don't forget that they've already patented forward/backward compatible cards and confirmed that it will be BC.
They've also "codenamed" the system 3DS which would lead me to believe that it has the same form factor as the DS since they are both in the same family of handhelds.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
Will the 3DS cartridges be the same size as the regular DS cartridges? I can imgaine the game cases for the 3DS games having those 3D foil things that are on stickers and trading cards.

As I mentioned before about my wanting a No More Heroes game on the 3DS, my dream might come true. According to joystiq Suda 51 is very interested in making a game for the 3DS. He is actually inspired by that holographic game Luke Skywalker played in Episode 4 for lightsaber training. However, this may be a subtle hint of a No More Heros 3DS title or something completely new from him. No matter what the case is at this point, I want a NMH game on a portable system. Maybe even a killer 7 game as well.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/05/19/suda-51-has-many-ideas-for-3ds/

I would actually like for this forum to start to discuss the games itself for the system since we are drawing closer to the reveal date. We have already speculated on the hardware, so maybe we should discuss the software.

Secondly, before E3 starts we should make a check list of all the predictions that we have brought up about the 3DS and compare them to what is actually ahown at E3 this year.

Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.