Author Topic: Nintendo 3DS Discussion  (Read 551893 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
I was just coming to post this story, glad someone already got to it before me.

Bit since the actual story wasn't cataloged in the thread, I'll post it anyway.

FCC posted a pic of possible 3DS motherboard?

Nintendo is likely still upset its hand was forced into prematurely announcing the existence of their next   handheld, the 3DS. Now it looks like images of what might be a prototype 3DS motherboard have been leaked by way of an FCC filing, as discovered by Wireless Goodness (via Eurogamer). The image seen above has since been removed from the filing, which is for a Nintendo DS CTR. As noted by Eurogamer, previous DS incarnations have used three-letter codenames, such as TWL (the DSi) and UTL (DSi   XL), but CTR has never before appeared, suggesting this is a new system, though it doesn't definitively prove that this is the 3DS. While it seems unlikely that Nintendo would be working on yet another iteration of the standard DS, they did release the Game Boy Micro nearly a year after the release of the original DS, so it's not impossible that this is another, non-3DS DS. 

The biggest hint that this is more than a mere upgrade of the DS is the top of the two screens seen in the image of the motherboard.
Unlike every DS released to date, the two screens shown aren't the same aspect ratio. There have been rumors of a widescreen DS system for years and it looks as if Nintendo's next handheld might just be that. But, again, it's hardly undeniable proof that this is the 3DS.

Wireless Goodness points out that it's entirely possible that the filing is not for the 3DS, but is instead to simply update the WLAN card used in the current line of DS systems. Whatever it is, the motherboard above is not the one you'll see in systems that end up on store shelves. The board itself is obviously far too large to be in a handheld system; it's likely just being used during the testing process. As for the inclusion of widescreen, we'll likely get confirmation of it one way or the other from Nintendo at E3 next month.                                       

I'm really hoping that the 3DS uses 2 screens of the same size(16x9), both have 3D and atleast one(the bottom screen) is a touch screen. This will allow for bigscreen 3D in bookmode (come one Netflix 3D) assuming the rumor about virtually no gap between the screens is true.

edit: I switched my post around so this story was first on the new page.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 01:22:44 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
I was hoping the same, but that pic is being more and more verified as the 3DS. If you look under the smaller(touch) screen you can see a joystick knob(which for me says its more than an update to the WLAN card) and the ten buttons in what is likely from left to right going clockwise: the d-pad, L, R, ABXY, Start, Select. 
Looks like top screen 3D, and bottom screen touch. So unless the top screen can rotate I don't even see how they would share video. But when you consider that the top screen could be 3.4" (compared with the iPhone's 3.5" screen) the bottom screen isn't really necessary for viewing purposes. The play controls would then obviously be kept on the bottom screen providing quick and easy access via the touch screen. 
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Kotaku has insiders, reaffirms us of 3DS' 3Dness
While Nintendo possibly isn't showing the Nintendo 3DS until the E3  gaming expo in Los Angeles, today in Tokyo, Nintendo provided vague  hints about what is to come. Several insiders tell Kotaku that Nintendo Chief Financial Officer  Yoshihiro Mori played things close to his vest, unwilling to divulge too much about the upcoming Nintendo 3DS. However, he did mention that Nintendo had spent a great deal of money developing the upcoming handheld gaming device.

Nintendo did state that the Nintendo 3DS would have ample security. This makes sense in light of Nintendo's crackdown on piracy. While unconfirmed, it is assumed that Nintendo will be using DRM-outfitted cartridges for the upcoming handheld.

And while the product's reveal might have seen sudden and strange even, Nintendo stated that it has been developing this new portable device for a significant period of time. Nintendo is always developing new products, but the reason why this product has made its way out of R&D is because the technology that powers the device is now at a reasonable price.

Mori pointed out that the 3D aspect is integral to the Nintendo 3DS —  interesting that it is integral, because it is possible to switch  off 3D — and that is will certainly be used to sell the portable  and the game software. More interesting is that Mori stated that the Nintendo 3DS's 3D is not akin to the pseudo 3D for Nintendo DSiWare game Looksey's  Line Up.

Instead, Mori described the Nintendo 3DS's 3D as being like the 3D you'd see on a 3D TV screen, but minus the glasses — perhaps like this Sharp display. But while the Nintendo 3DS might give players the sensation of watching a 3D TV without the glasses, the fact that it is a gaming handheld  means that it offers a completely new and different experience from 3D televisions.

It seems like Nintendo is hoping to use 3D in a new way — as opposed to passively viewing 3D images.

Nothing really new here, but I'll summarize it below.

Nintendo spent alot of money making the 3DS (we've seen the R&D spending)
Piracy Protection is a main focus (we've seen patents for new cartridges)
3D on 3DS is like 3D for movies minus the glasses (most of us knew that too)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
I was hoping the same, but that pic is being more and more verified as the 3DS. If you look under the smaller(touch) screen you can see a joystick knob(which for me says its more than an update to the WLAN card) and the ten buttons in what is likely from left to right going clockwise: the d-pad, L, R, ABXY, Start, Select.
Looks like top screen 3D, and bottom screen touch. So unless the top screen can rotate I don't even see how they would share video. But when you consider that the top screen could be 3.4" (compared with the iPhone's 3.5" screen) the bottom screen isn't really necessary for viewing purposes. The play controls would then obviously be kept on the bottom screen providing quick and easy access via the touch screen.

Now that you point that out I do see it. I don't doubt it's the 3DS motherboard, I'm just hoping the bottom screen was a place holder for the FCC prototype.

I just really want Nintendo to not mess up potential for this handheld by doing things that won't make sense and only cost pennies more to do it right, while at the same time opening so much in the way of possible uses like giant screen bookmode 3D, one continuous 3D screen in regular mode and all the gaming and non-gaming applications that can be useful for.

The cost for an additional widescreen 3D touch screen will be marginalized by the success of the machine, and the extra function that it would provide is only another selling point for consumers and another bonus for developers. It's not exactly the type of thing you can just put in the next revision, so it needs to be done right the 1st time.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile

Now that you point that out I do see it. I don't doubt it's the 3DS motherboard, I'm just hoping the bottom screen was a place holder for the FCC prototype.

I just really want Nintendo to not mess up potential for this handheld by doing things that won't make sense and only cost pennies more to do it right, while at the same time opening so much in the way of possible uses like giant screen bookmode 3D, one continuous 3D screen in regular mode and all the gaming and non-gaming applications that can be useful for.

The cost for an additional widescreen 3D touch screen will be marginalized by the success of the machine, and the extra function that it would provide is only another selling point for consumers and another bonus for developers. It's not exactly the type of thing you can just put in the next revision, so it needs to be done right the 1st time.

Will that picture be the final 3DS, or is it just a just a prototype? I mean that thinglooks like a dinner plate and is something that seems like it is not a portable. Perhaps it is smaller that the picture reveals, but if not, I do not want something that sized. I am hoping the 3DS will be about the same size as the normal DSi, but with more stuff and bigger screens and more internal storage.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
The 3DS is gonna be a desktop computer....

It's a prototype motherboard made specifically to submit to the FCC (I believe that was mentioned in atleast 1 of the 3 articles posted or linked to in this thread about the motherboard.).

That motherboard is the size of a computer motherboard and couldn't be used in even the DSi XL as it's is far too large for that if you go by the size of the screens as a reference point.

So there is no need to worry.
(the first comment was a joke btw)

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Of course it's final.  Nintendo's providing a new way to hold portable gaming.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
It's not even confirmed to be part of the 3DS, it's just speculatio.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
Internet needs no confirmation.  This is truly the Wii2HDZii3D.

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
Regarding the screens, I have a feeling the one is a placeholder since only one of the screens will be 3D which is lame. It doesn't make much sense for there to be 2 different sized screens considering quite of few DS games switch screens depending on the situation which I suppose would still be possible, just inconvenient and disorienting. I was hoping that both screens would be 3D, touch enabled, and would form one larger screen when opened completely. Silly me.
It's not even confirmed to be part of the 3DS, it's just speculatio.
Holy sh*t, you just legitimately responded to a NinGurl69 *huggles post. How did this happen? Don't you know how this works by now?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Actually looks like that motherboard could be a working devkit for the 3DS.
If this pic is anything to goo by: http://i43.tinypic.com/99gnjo.jpg

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile

As we draw close to this year's E3 I am becoming increasingly restless towards the reveal of the 3DS. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? After seeing those pictures I am very worried that the 3DS will not be as compact as the older DS models.

If the top screen is bigger, could it be a sign that the 3DS will have a movie player?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 11:55:38 PM by Kytim89 »

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
You're finally seeing the real world.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
I actually think if this is related to the 3DS you must remember 1 it is a prototype and 2, possibly even partially a development kit.

So, I fully expect Nintendo to have used material it had on hand to make the prototype potentially cheaper.  So, I can see the smaller touch screen being used to show touch screen compatibility since it looking to being the same dimensions of the original DS.  But when it comes to market I am sure it won't be the same.

I am also getting the feeling that only one screen will be 3D and possibly only one screen touch screen.  Which I am completely ok with. 

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile

As we draw close to this year's E3 I am becoming increasingly restless towards the reveal of the 3DS. Is anyone else experiencing this problem? After seeing those pictures I am very worried that the 3DS will not be as compact as the older DS models.

If the top screen is bigger, could it be a sign that the 3DS will have a movie player?

I forgot to mention that that pic is of a GBA dev kit before there was physical GBA hardware.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
Looks like there is a good chance that the 3DS name is final

Quote from: Neo2046
Nintendo's new gaming trademark

商願2010-021055 DS Sound
商願2010-021086 DS Name Card
商願2010-021087 DSMagazine
商願2010-021088 DSMovie
商願2010-021089 DSCamera
商願2010-021090 DSCinema
商願2010-021091 DSMessage
商願2010-021092 DSMusic
商願2010-021093 DSAlbum
商願2010-021709 3DSPlay
商願2010-021710 Nintendo 3DS
商願2010-021711 ニンテンドー3DS (Nintendo 3DS)
商願2010-021712 3DSWare
商願2010-021713 Nintendo 3DSWare (Nintendo 3DSWare)
商願2010-023066 N3DS
商願2010-024659 ポケモンカードゲーム (Pokemon Card Game)
商願2010-024660 トレーナーズウェブサイト (Trainers Web Site)
商願2010-024661 トレーナーズ (Trainers)

That's all the proof I need to be honest.
But now I wonder what 3DSPlay is. minigame collection meant to show off some system features like WiiPlay did for Wii?

DS Movie & DS Cinema bring me much hope for some Netflix 3DS

DS Message makes me think PictoChat is going internet enabled.

DS Music & DS Album will hopefully mean something other than Nintendo music and OSTs
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 02:40:35 AM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
Just remember some of these trademarks may just be made just in case Nintendo decides to use them...to protect them...but may or may not be in place.

Offline Kytim89

• View Profile
Based on the design and featutres of the DSi, I can be sure that Nintendo will include a music player on the 3DS with SD card support. Having the device as a big and bulky machine seems like a step backwards for Nintendo in regards to how compact the last couple of iterations of the DS were when they released. I see them taking the design of the DSi and improving upon it with all new bells and whistles.

Nintendo would be too foolish to not include some kind of movie player into the 3DS. I was at Kmart a few days ago and notice a MP4 video player for about twenty dollars. So, I would prefer to have one inside my 3DS.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
For everyone who's preparing to be disappointed, the line starts here.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile

And I'm driving the HYPE TRAIN this year, so it should be a wild ride.
FULL SPEED AHEAD! CHOO CHOO!

« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 12:34:07 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
ALL ABOARD THE TRAIN WRECK

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
It's gonna be glorious!!

Offline MaryJane

• Ain't got nothing on Felica Hardy
  • Score: -13
    • View Profile
The 3DS could be Nintendo trying to steal some of Apple's market as Apple is trying to do to them...
We already know that it is a dedicated 3D gaming machine with internet access, and some form of Netflix access (I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that Netflix movies aren't the only playable movies). Throw in VoIP, mobile TV, music, an app store that sells more than games, an e-reader, maybe bluetooth, keep it around the size of the PSP while folded, and suddenly people may be looking at buying a 3DS instead of an iPhone 4G--if they market it properly and bundle AIM(or something else) in there so people can still text. The 3DS's top screen is likely going to be .1" smaller than that of the iPhone so if it can do everything it does, plus do 3D and serious gaming they would be in the same market.
Of course if I'm going to imagine that Nintendo is that ambitious, I might as well imagine them partnering with Google and running Android on 3DS so the app store is full at launch, VoIP becomes easier, and Apple fan-boys would be in a rage.
Silly monkeys; give them thumbs they make a club and beat their brother down. How they survive so misguided is a mystery. Repugnant is a creature who would squander the ability to lift an a eye to heaven conscious of his fleeting time here.

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile

And I'm driving the HYPE TRAIN this year, so it should be a wild ride.
FULL SPEED AHEAD! CHOO CHOO!

How can someone not love that? I have to laugh everytime I see it! Hype Train, yeah...

Ningurl have fun on the Expect Less Express. You guys are too funny.

After so many records were broken and Nintendo finally surpassed it's predecessors with Wii and DS I be we will get an "all out" hand held and home console. They made too much money (which according to some of you doesn't physically exist) to not have some super hi end features.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
The 3DS could be Nintendo trying to steal some of Apple's market as Apple is trying to do to them...
We already know that it is a dedicated 3D gaming machine with internet access, and some form of Netflix access (I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that Netflix movies aren't the only playable movies). Throw in VoIP, mobile TV, music, an app store that sells more than games, an e-reader, maybe bluetooth, keep it around the size of the PSP while folded, and suddenly people may be looking at buying a 3DS instead of an iPhone 4G--if they market it properly and bundle AIM(or something else) in there so people can still text. The 3DS's top screen is likely going to be .1" smaller than that of the iPhone so if it can do everything it does, plus do 3D and serious gaming they would be in the same market.
Of course if I'm going to imagine that Nintendo is that ambitious, I might as well imagine them partnering with Google and running Android on 3DS so the app store is full at launch, VoIP becomes easier, and Apple fan-boys would be in a rage.

^That is the scenario I've been painting.

You should come check out my gallery some time.