Author Topic: Portal 2  (Read 20684 times)

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Portal 2
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2011, 05:36:54 PM »
I'm not burning through it nearly as fast as everyone else it seems.  I think part of that is not playing Portal 1 and I'm having problems conceptually with the really open large test areas after Chapter 5.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 02, 2011, 12:07:26 AM »
I had a hard timewith this game. It took me two days to beat. :\

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 02, 2011, 02:06:41 AM »
I think this game is as good as a sequel to Portal could be. It never feels like a retread. It doesn't recycle jokes. I didn't catch a single cake reference, but I've been told there is one. The game just keeps chucking new **** at you. New gameplay elements, more complex and involved puzzles, it's all good. The satisfaction of solving puzzles remains strong. The game kind of stutters around the midway point, but it doesn't last long. In addition to the stuttering, the game stops trying to be funny at the midway point. I'd say the first half was funnier than Portal 1, so that was a bit of a let down. However, Valve has a pretty good grasp on how to tell stories in games. The story in Portal 2 is nothing revelatory, but the way it's told is satisfying. I haven't played a great deal of co-op yet, but what I have played is also just as good and fresh as every other element of this franchise has been. I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't want to play this game.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 02, 2011, 07:42:48 AM »
I think this game is as good as a sequel to Portal could be. It never feels like a retread. It doesn't recycle jokes. I didn't catch a single cake reference, but I've been told there is one. The game just keeps chucking new **** at you. New gameplay elements, more complex and involved puzzles, it's all good. The satisfaction of solving puzzles remains strong. The game kind of stutters around the midway point, but it doesn't last long. In addition to the stuttering, the game stops trying to be funny at the midway point. I'd say the first half was funnier than Portal 1, so that was a bit of a let down. However, Valve has a pretty good grasp on how to tell stories in games. The story in Portal 2 is nothing revelatory, but the way it's told is satisfying. I haven't played a great deal of co-op yet, but what I have played is also just as good and fresh as every other element of this franchise has been. I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't want to play this game.
I hear Co-OP is funnier.
Also the cake reference is near the beganning if memory serves when GlaDOS is talking about Confetti she goes on to say their be no cake or something to that effect.  I know its around there.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline TrueNerd

• Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 04, 2011, 05:58:07 AM »
I've played co-op now. It's not funnier than the single player, but it might be more challenging. Certainly more complex. And also definitely awesome. However, no boss battle at the end which I feel is a bit of a missed opportunity. They could have done something cool with that. Also, narratively speaking, Portal 2 co-op is a sequel to Portal 2 single player. Interesting implications for Portal 3, assuming that's happening.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 04, 2011, 09:24:41 AM »
I've played co-op now. It's not funnier than the single player, but it might be more challenging. Certainly more complex. And also definitely awesome. However, no boss battle at the end which I feel is a bit of a missed opportunity. They could have done something cool with that. Also, narratively speaking, Portal 2 co-op is a sequel to Portal 2 single player. Interesting implications for Portal 3, assuming that's happening.
I finally convinced my wife to play Co-op with me last night, I was going to convince someone here to like Bustin but with PSN down no dice.  They throw you right into having to communicate.  I thought that the first bit would be puzzles like the single player only with 2 players and needing the extra portals but we be together.  Nope that wasn't the case at all.  They start you separated.   Which made for and interesting time explaining some thing to someone who has actually never played Portal before.  I got to what must be the second chapter.  I'm enjoying it and I think my Wife isn't hating it.

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #81 on: May 04, 2011, 11:36:12 AM »
I had my wife play the first chapter with me. She didn't enjoy it at all. But I think its also the first time she's ever held the Playstation controller.

She will play Bejeweled on Xbox Live though.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 04, 2011, 11:46:58 AM »
I had my wife play the first chapter with me. She didn't enjoy it at all. But I think its also the first time she's ever held the Playstation controller.

She will play Bejeweled on Xbox Live though.
Well at least I know she held the controller to play movies and like.  I don't think she really did either.  She said her tummy wasn't feeling to good and wanted to stop after the next stage.  Then instead of going to bed proceeds to watch a show.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 07, 2011, 10:32:00 AM »
Just finished Portal 2.  I enjoyed the game I like how they start to introduce the co-op in the story of the single player so you know that is the next part.  I'm excited to eventually do that portion of the game.  The part I'm most impressed with is their puzzle.  I didn't have to consult a guide once on anything I was just stupidly stuck on.  I normal have a couple puzzles like that in Layton and like.  Overall I think this is a good game and I enjoyed the ending.  Though I have to say the huge open puzzles are sort of annoying.  I also wish you could go back through the game with the commentary just happening and no need for the interaction and able to save.  though during the cave johnson portion I was expecting to learn about GLaDOS development. Also a picture of Caroline. Maybe see some mach 1 turrets and like

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2011, 10:33:08 PM »
So...is there anyone here on the PS3 version who hasn't started the Co-op campaign yet? I want to get the Professor Portal trophy (I've already completed co-op once), but unfortunately you have to have a brand-new player to get it.  I wouldn't mind playing through all of co-op with one of you guys, and I do have a headset (which I think is synched correctly).

EDIT: Got Professor Portal and am working on Friends List w/ Benefits (3 Hugs).  Still willing to work with you guys on trophies if you need it.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 11:54:10 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline lolmonade

• I wanna ride dolphins with you in the moonlight until the staff at Sea World kicks us out
  • Score: 29
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 20, 2011, 10:40:57 PM »
I finally convinced my wife to play Co-op with me last night, I was going to convince someone here to like Bustin but with PSN down no dice.  They throw you right into having to communicate.  I thought that the first bit would be puzzles like the single player only with 2 players and needing the extra portals but we be together.  Nope that wasn't the case at all.  They start you separated.   Which made for and interesting time explaining some thing to someone who has actually never played Portal before.  I got to what must be the second chapter.  I'm enjoying it and I think my Wife isn't hating it.

I roped my wife into playing the coop with me as well.  For someone who hadn't played a first person shooter before this, I was pretty satisfied with her ability to pick up the game.  We're on the second round of chambers, and she's gotten the basic mechanics down pretty well, but I've had to figure out all the puzzles so far and instruct her on what to do.  I think more than anything she likes us having something we can do together. 

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2011, 11:05:50 PM »
It sounds like you guys all need better wives. :P
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline bustin98

• Bustin' out kids
  • Score: 30
    • View Profile
    • Web Design Web Hosting Computer Sales and Service
« Reply #87 on: May 21, 2011, 03:29:13 AM »

Yeah, like they grow on trees...

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 21, 2011, 09:06:23 AM »

Yeah, like they grow on trees...
I could probably grow an apple tree faster then get a new wife.  I like the one I have for different Reasons.  Ironically this all ties into a question I submitted to RFN I'm sort of interested in the answer but I know it won't be picked.

Offline Oblivion

• Score: -253
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 23, 2011, 12:16:15 AM »
Anyone willing to help a guy trying to get his last Portal 2 trophy? I'm trying to get the trophy, "Friends Lists With Benefits", but I have no friends with Portal 2 willing o help. I know I have to friend the person, then get in a match, then hug them. Is there three people willing to help? Or at least one person with three accounts?

I'd be willing to help anyone get any tropy they needed, if they want. Thanks in advance.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 23, 2011, 12:35:18 AM »
Anyone willing to help a guy trying to get his last Portal 2 trophy? I'm trying to get the trophy, "Friends Lists With Benefits", but I have no friends with Portal 2 willing o help. I know I have to friend the person, then get in a match, then hug them. Is there three people willing to help? Or at least one person with three accounts?

I'd be willing to help anyone get any tropy they needed, if they want. Thanks in advance.

I have the Platinum already, but I have two accounts ("broodwars" and "broodwars64", the Alt I created for this very trophy) I can use to get you most of the way there.  I'm surprised you already have the one for getting through the Excursion Tunnels course without any deaths.  That was my last one.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 23, 2011, 09:43:30 AM »
I be game, not tonight thought

I be game, not tonight though but, I like to actually play some Co-Op.