Author Topic: INTERVIEWS: Riivolution and Fatal Frame Translation  (Read 3937 times)

Offline MegaByte

• NWR Staff... Can't win trivia
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 31337
    • View Profile
    • Konfiskated Teknologies Network
INTERVIEWS: Riivolution and Fatal Frame Translation
« on: February 04, 2010, 12:51:29 PM »
With no sign of Fatal Frame IV getting released outside of Japan, a team of hackers and translators took it upon themselves to give owners of the game a way to play it in English.

There are plenty of games that never get an official release outside of Japan, but few fans thought that Fatal Frame IV would be one of those games. Yet it's been more than a year and a half since the unique horror game came out in Japan and almost all hopes for an official English release have been extinguished.

However, a team of hackers and translators recently released the first version of their Riivolution File Replacement System for the Wii, with an English translation for Fatal Frame IV alongside it. As long as they have an SD card and an official imported copy of the game, interested Wii owners can have the opportunity of playing Fatal Frame IV with translated text and art assets.

Recently, NWR had a chance to conduct an interview with three members from that team: Colin "Tempus" Noga, Clayton "Mr.Mongoose" Ramsey, and Aaron "AerialX."

Read the interview here...
Aaron Kaluszka
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

Offline Nick DiMola

• Staff Alumnus
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
    • PixlBit
Re: INTERVIEWS: Riivolution and Fatal Frame Translation
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 03:32:40 PM »
Awesome interview. I was wondering myself how these guys figured out this whole crazy structure to patching the game. Funny to hear that they basically poured over the hex code to get it done.

I appreciate the work to get it done, but as far as Fatal Frame games go, I'm not a huge fan of this one. The control issues are infuriating, and it's dissuading me from continuing.

If the team is reading this, are the controls easily patchable to use the Classic Controller or GameCube controller rather than the wonky Wii Remote and Nunchuk controls?
Check out PixlBit!

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 09:48:50 PM »
I had downloaded the patch not too long ago. Sadly, I've not yet had time to load the game up and try it.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 07:37:58 PM »
 Shopping around importing this game looks kind of pricey. $69 is the cheapest I see.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 01:37:13 AM »
Shopping around importing this game looks kind of pricey. $69 is the cheapest I see.

Well, I suspect that a couple places actually sold out once this way of playing it in English became available.
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 03:00:53 AM »
I'm very excited about Riivolution, but not so excited about Fatal Frame 4.  That said, I'd buy it if it were released locally, almost certainly.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 04:34:41 AM »
I'm honestly willing to bet that the 'changes' that Nintendo wanted for the English release included a different control scheme or at least the option to change it. Only something like a major change would cause Tecmo to refuse I think.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast