Author Topic: Dragon Quest VI Debuts Big in Japan  (Read 1590 times)

Offline NWR_MattB

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
Dragon Quest VI Debuts Big in Japan
« on: February 02, 2010, 07:34:43 AM »
Square EnixÂ’s latest Dragon Quest remake garners initial sales far beyond previous titles.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=20892

Square Enix shifted 909,981copies of Dragon Quest VI in its first four days on the market, making it the best-selling Dragon Quest remake on the Nintendo DS in Japan. For comparison, Dragon Quest IV started out with first-week sales of approximately 602,000, while Dragon Quest V debuted with sales of 679,000.    

One possible explanation as to why Dragon Quest VI debuted so strongly is that it hasnÂ’t been remade on any other platform prior to being released this past week. Regardless, Dragon Quest VI will be the best-selling video game in Japan for the week ending January 31, dethroning long-time champion New Super Mario Bros. Wii on the Media Create charts.

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Re: Dragon Quest VI Debuts Big in Japan
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 06:17:13 PM »
I wonder which will come to America first, this or DQ9?
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline greybrick

• Up the Irons!
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 08:40:20 PM »
I think they are still trying to figure out how the heck to make DQ9 work in America. One possibility is making it DSi exclusive and using that smidgeon of extra juice to power online games with voice chat.... something executed well in a now years old Pokemon game but an uncommon feature nonetheless. I think that at least here in America, the people looking to play DQ9 would upgrade a system for more comprehensive online functionality without many sales opportunities being lost. In other words, here it is only the "core" that are dying to play DQ9 while in Japan quite literally everyone and their grandparents are playing it. Of course, it could be possible on the DS lite but I am not intimately familiar with either piece of hardware.
Bless you, my child.
Please turn the power OFF.

And Jonny, you don't ride the giant Cheep-Cheep

Offline Rize

• Disgruntled
  • Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 12:44:10 PM »
Finally it's released somewhere at least.  I want this more than DQ9.  I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed DQV despite its age and non-familiarity.  I enjoyed it far more than the DQIV remake.  Hooray for novelty.