Author Topic: iPhone/iPod Touch game thread?  (Read 43381 times)

Offline gbuell

• Score: 3
    • View Profile
    • Grant Buell
Re: iPhone/iPod Touch game thread?
« Reply #125 on: December 17, 2010, 10:10:35 PM »
Scrabble is the best, especially with the Facebook integration.

I've extremely excited to try out Riven, as I think it's the best Myst game and one of my favorite games ever, but I got the iPhone version of Myst and never got too far in it. Squeezing those beautiful images into a tiny screen doesn't do them much justice. I think it'd be amazing on iPad though.
Why doesn't Metroid ever take off his armor?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #126 on: December 18, 2010, 02:26:02 PM »
I just bought my first App game (I have downloaded many of the free apps, but never the paid ones). I just bought Scrabble, I love this EA sale since I got the game for $0.99 compared to the normal $9.99, I am thinking about also getting Tetris and a couple other of the iPad games. I accidentally bought the iPhone/iPod Touch version (it's not a universal app), so I may have to buy the separate iPad version. At least both are $0.99
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 02:30:55 PM by TJ Spyke »
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 18, 2010, 02:32:52 PM »
The first screenshot on the iTunes store for World of Goo on iPad isn't actually a screenshot; it's taken from promotional material, and includes a review quote from Nintendo World Report.

Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #128 on: December 18, 2010, 02:43:38 PM »
Wow, 2D Boy must have really loved the review (or at least the quote).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #129 on: December 19, 2010, 06:48:14 PM »
I bought Angry Birds HD (which is the iPad version), I can understand why so many people are calling it the best iOS game of the year, it's really addictive and I love the Boom Blox type gameplay. I am mulling buying The Elements: A Visual Exploration since it looks great, maybe Monopoly for iPad.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 19, 2010, 07:36:37 PM »
I just never got into Angry Birds. I had some fun with it, but I never got addicted to it the way everybody else seemed to.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #131 on: December 20, 2010, 08:24:05 PM »
EA isn't the only one having a Christmas sale, Gameloft is having a big sale on their iOS games too. Today is the start of a three-day sale (ends December 22) where the following games are on sale for $0.99:

iPhone/iPod Touch:
Iron Man 2
Hero of Sparta II
Uno
The Settlers
NFL 2011
Let’s Golf 2
Shrek Kart
Real Football 2011
Assassin’s Creed: Altair’s Chronicles
The Oregon Trail
Splinter Cell Conviction
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
Driver

iPad:
Splinter Cell: Conviction
Let’s Golf 2
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
NFL 2011
Blokus
Zombie Infection

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 22, 2010, 04:22:07 PM »
Solomon's Keep and Land Air Sea Warfare just got major updates. SK now has a fourth basic spell as DLC (a back-port from Solomon's Boneyard but with added features).

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 26, 2010, 10:33:51 AM »
Christmas has come and gone, and I'm now the proud owner of a 4th generation iPod Touch. As far as games go, the ones I've downloaded are mostly freebies. Only two were paid for.

The first was Doodle Jump, bought to be used as a time waster app. It is very addictive, perhaps because its sheer simplicity is such that you always feel you could have done better. There's not exactly a tonne to be said about it, though.

The other title is one of the more highly received iOS games - Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor. This is a 2D platformer with light exploration where you control an extraordinarily agile spider as it explores an abandoned mansion. There's a minor story behind the mysterious setting, but it's worked into the environmental features and is mostly unobtrusive. Where the game truly shines is in its primary game mechanic, which is to hunt bugs by capturing them in your webs. This generally controls well, better than I expected, and due to the various score multipliers emphasised in the tutorials, the plotting of your spider's web lines becomes quite strategic. It will be interesting to see how that develops. Lastly, the quality of the soundtrack took me completely by surprise. It was on sale for 59p when I purchased it, though I don't know if that sale is still going on. (Edit: Just checked and the sale is still on for a limited time. I can only assume that it's 99 cents in the US.)

I'll review this thread for recommendations later. Preferably, I want to avoid games with fake D-Pads or joysticks, as their reliability is apparently questionable.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2010, 10:40:00 AM by Killer_Man_Jaro »
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent
-----------------------------
"You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel."

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #134 on: December 26, 2010, 06:10:08 PM »
Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor is really good. There are a lot of games on sale lately so get them while you can. Cut the Rope and Osmos are two truly excellent physics-based puzzle games that make great use of touch controls.

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 28, 2010, 05:24:20 PM »
If you're interested in Solomon's Keep, buy now. I just installed it for free, as it turns out a deal has been going on the past week. Today is the last day that this free-of-charge deal applies, so don't delay.

By the way, are either of the Super Monkey Ball games on iOS worth getting?
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #136 on: December 28, 2010, 05:32:47 PM »
How did you get it free? Must be just on the UK App store as the game is $0.99 on the US store.

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 28, 2010, 07:47:28 PM »
How did you get it free? Must be just on the UK App store as the game is $0.99 on the US store.

Could be. It's also possible that the deal had expired by the time you checked the App Store.

Today, I had my first experience of frustration at Apple's stupid policy of spamming me with ads while I play any free game, followed by repeated messages that I can remove the ads for 59 pence per game. What a crock.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #138 on: December 28, 2010, 09:01:32 PM »
Uh, unless Apple developed the game, that ain't "Apple's policy."

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 31, 2010, 02:41:54 AM »
Yeah, developers set that stuff up. Some use ads in their free games to make some money out of them.

I'll review this thread for recommendations later. Preferably, I want to avoid games with fake D-Pads or joysticks, as their reliability is apparently questionable.

Depends on the game, dual analog shooters usually work very well because you don't need to go from neutral to a direction to neutral, you only vary the direction you're holding. Sidescrollers are usually problematic.

Offline Killer_Man_Jaro

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 31, 2010, 05:17:35 AM »
Hm, I see your point. I've made it to the Hammer boss in Solomon's Keep and for a twin stick game, it has been more responsive than I was anticipating, though the aiming wasn't 100% accurate.

Nevertheless, it still seems that minor taps & strokes on the touch screen and/or the tilt sensor are the most suitable method of control input. I downloaded Super Monkey Ball 2 and while my experience with either of the Wii games is extremely limited, it actually seems to control better than those. As far as I can tell, you're controlling the ball, as opposed to the level, so it's less like Marble Madness.
Tom Malina
UK Correspondent

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 31, 2010, 10:26:02 AM »
It has a strange control issue where it only recognizes a limited number of touch movements at a time. Used to be one, now it can handle two on the sticks but I believe it's still problematic on the special spells unless they fixed that recently.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #142 on: January 05, 2011, 12:45:40 PM »
Has anyone played the iPhone/iPod Touch version of Peggle? I am thinking about picking it up since I love the Xbox Live Arcade version and would like to be able to take the game with me (yes I know there is a DS game). I would appreciate any comments from people who have played both versions.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 05, 2011, 01:52:05 PM »
While I can't compare it to other versions--it's the only version of Peggle I've ever played--I can say that that iPod Touch version works very well.

There are two ways of aiming.  You can either use a slide bar on the right side of the screen to aim your shot or you can use your finger on the play field to aim.  You can also zoom in (by double tapping the screen) to fine tune your shot if you want (but you rarely need to do so).
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #144 on: January 06, 2011, 11:04:50 AM »
TJ, I have it, it's very good and full-featured. It includes the entirety of Peggle Nights as an in-app purchase, which is great.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 06, 2011, 12:24:21 PM »
Peggle on iOS actually works really well, but your level of control is nowhere near the PC version.  At first I thought it was game-breaking, but eventually I got used to it and now I actually welcome the additional challenge it provides.  I've done all the challenges and I'm about 3/4 of the way through getting red and blue ribbons on every level and the fact that I can't just point where I want to shoot makes this feel a little more like an accomplishment (even though it's really not...)

Overall though it is very good and is easily my most played ipod game.  I've also gotten both of my brothers, my friend, and even my dad addicted to peggle through the app.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #146 on: January 06, 2011, 01:00:17 PM »
I bought the game. It's really similiar to the XBLA version (in a good way), it's really weird trying to control it though. Whenever I need to make a shot on the sides I have to rely on the little wheel to do so. I am thinking about getting Peggle Nights since it is just $2.99 more.

Offline gbuell

• View Profile
    • Grant Buell
« Reply #147 on: January 06, 2011, 02:33:45 PM »
With zoom-in and the "wheel" control, I can't see how you could have trouble fine-tuning your shot to any level you desire.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #148 on: January 06, 2011, 03:14:46 PM »
There's no trouble, it's just a little weird getting used to it.

Offline KnowsNothing

• Babycakes
  • Score: 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 06, 2011, 04:27:35 PM »
With zoom-in and the "wheel" control, I can't see how you could have trouble fine-tuning your shot to any level you desire.
Have you played it on the PC?  There is no guesswork at all. You can pinpoint shots at the bottom corners with 100% accuracy. Furthermore even the wheel is too sensitive for some shots. Often when I lift my finger from the screen it moves the pointer just enough to ruin my shot. I love Peggle on my iPod but you have far less control than the pc version.
kka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka wa