Author Topic: Sony's Motion in the Blue Ocean  (Read 177978 times)

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Re: Sony's Motion in the Blue Ocean
« Reply #625 on: September 07, 2010, 01:53:45 PM »
How does the Wii not fall into the "Controller you can feel and see"?  It has force feedback and a physical controller and I can, you know, SEE it.  It's not invisible.

The Move apparently comes out in less than two weeks.  Did you know that?  I sure didn't.  There doesn't seem to be any buzz about it or promotion.

I figured in theory that Move and Kinect would be like a new generation for Sony and MS so they don't have to release a new console.  I still think it would be dumb for them to do so since the hardware jump will be too expensive (and I personally don't want them to do because then Nintendo will be behind AGAIN) but this stuff is going to BOMB.  Move isn't Kinect bad but the whole thing sounds like a complete disaster.  In fact I think Nintendo should be worried because this might sour the general public on motion control altogether.  Motion control has some major kinks in it that even Nintendo can't quite hide.  These guys are going to make those flaws out in the open.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: September 07, 2010, 02:09:29 PM »
Move and Kinect are going to bomb, therefore Nintendo is doomed and Wii's motion controls are majorly flawed, that's an amazing trick.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: September 07, 2010, 02:12:43 PM »
It's ok, because in a year (or 2) Nintendo will be on to the next one.

Let's hope Nintendo stays 1 step ahead of whatever MS & Sony have planned.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: September 07, 2010, 04:17:41 PM »
Move isn't Kinect bad but the whole thing sounds like a complete disaster.  In fact I think Nintendo should be worried because this might sour the general public on motion control altogether.  Motion control has some major kinks in it that even Nintendo can't quite hide.  These guys are going to make those flaws out in the open.

I've thought from early on that this would be my main concern if I were Nintendo. Sony already failed when they tried to outdo the Wii with their Six-Axis junk. Now they're embarrassing themselves with a bunch of junk launch titles for Move. It's too late in the game to not come out of the gate with great software. Nintendo's already done all of the work for them, figuring out a lot of what does and doesn't get by in terms of game design.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: September 07, 2010, 07:30:09 PM »
In fact I think Nintendo should be worried because this might sour the general public on motion control altogether.  Motion control has some major kinks in it that even Nintendo can't quite hide.  These guys are going to make those flaws out in the open.
Considering that some early impressions of Move say it doesn't work very well, that may be Sony's goal all along.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #630 on: September 07, 2010, 07:45:10 PM »
In fact I think Nintendo should be worried because this might sour the general public on motion control altogether.  Motion control has some major kinks in it that even Nintendo can't quite hide.  These guys are going to make those flaws out in the open.
Considering that some early impressions of Move say it doesn't work very well, that may be Sony's goal all along.

Sony's not smart enough to come up with a plan like that. They are, however, pretty arrogant, which is why I think they truly believe Move will be a big success.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #631 on: September 07, 2010, 08:06:20 PM »
I suppose we'll see. I have a hard time imagining anyone buying Move though. The started set (which is only one controller and a crappy Wii Sports knock-off) retails for $100. That's on top of an already ridiculously priced console. The casual players that are supposedly into stuff like Move aren't going to shell out $100 just to get a taste, let alone buy the console if their pimple-faced kid doesn't already have it. :P

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: September 07, 2010, 08:18:44 PM »
I suppose we'll see. I have a hard time imagining anyone buying Move though. The started set (which is only one controller and a crappy Wii Sports knock-off) retails for $100. That's on top of an already ridiculously priced console. The casual players that are supposedly into stuff like Move aren't going to shell out $100 just to get a taste, let alone buy the console if their pimple-faced kid doesn't already have it. :P: :

I wouldn't mind buying it for a drastically reduced price just to play RE5 with it, or perhaps Heavy Rain.  Dead Space 2 Move support would be nice, too.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 08:29:33 PM by broodwars »
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
  • Score: 379
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: September 07, 2010, 09:03:13 PM »
Wow, I definitely wish I knew about that site and those links that BNM mentioned about 20 minutes ago.  I just finished recording a podcast almost all about Move.

Short story?  Not so good at launch.  Maybe get it later.  A lot of the advertised features aren't noticeable or taken advantage of well or at all in launch titles.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #634 on: September 07, 2010, 09:47:04 PM »
I suppose we'll see. I have a hard time imagining anyone buying Move though. The started set (which is only one controller and a crappy Wii Sports knock-off) retails for $100. That's on top of an already ridiculously priced console. The casual players that are supposedly into stuff like Move aren't going to shell out $100 just to get a taste, let alone buy the console if their pimple-faced kid doesn't already have it. :P: :

I wouldn't mind buying it for a drastically reduced price just to play RE5 with it, or perhaps Heavy Rain.  Dead Space 2 Move support would be nice, too.

RE5 and Dead Space would work about as well as RE4: Wii, I suppose. What I've hear of Heavy Rain's implementation has not been very compelling however.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #635 on: September 09, 2010, 10:17:07 PM »
2 more KB PS Move commercials
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/09/09/playstation-moving-into-your-home-soon/

It's impossible to watch these and not think "WiiHD!?"

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #636 on: September 09, 2010, 10:23:27 PM »
Videos are down.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: September 09, 2010, 10:27:20 PM »
Great tribute videos! I really felt like I was back in 2006.
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: September 09, 2010, 10:28:35 PM »
There was a Kevin Butler Move ad during the NFL opener. I hate what Sony's doing with the Move for a lot of reasons, but Kevin Butler is an awesome spokesman for the company and always makes me laugh.

J.P. Corbran

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: September 09, 2010, 11:35:23 PM »
I'd have to agree, I think that Kevin Butler appeals well to the audience Sony is targeting.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: September 10, 2010, 04:53:34 AM »
There was a Kevin Butler Move ad during the NFL opener. I hate what Sony's doing with the Move for a lot of reasons, but Kevin Butler is an awesome spokesman for the company and always makes me laugh.

You know, he's really just an actor who is paid to say whatever he is told to say. He's not a real person, and I doubt Kevin Butler is even the actor's real name. I think I've seen that same actor do commercials for Geico or something a few years back.
is your sanity...

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #641 on: September 10, 2010, 04:54:42 AM »
I'd have to agree, I think that Kevin Butler appeals well to the audience Sony is targeting.

Middle-aged jerks?
is your sanity...

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: September 10, 2010, 07:22:30 AM »

Middle-aged jerks?

Jerks of all ages!  I think he's funny, but also, a little crass.

Offline NWR_insanolord

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: September 10, 2010, 05:23:31 PM »
Sony has a new web site that mocks the idea of gaming without buttons. http://www.yaybuttons.com/

J.P. Corbran

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #644 on: September 10, 2010, 06:09:30 PM »
Move has a website and it's hosted by Kevin Butler
http://www.movemadeabsurdlyeasy.com.php5-13.dfw1-2.websitetestlink.com/#

Here they even take a direct shot at Kinect: LOL
http://www.yaybuttons.com.php5-13.dfw1-2.websitetestlink.com/

there is even a page that compares Move to Stuff
http://www.movevsstuff.com.php5-13.dfw1-2.websitetestlink.com/

and it a fair comparison too....

imagine that :P: : : :

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #645 on: September 11, 2010, 03:36:09 AM »
Sony: "We do what Nintendo did 5 years ago!"

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #646 on: September 11, 2010, 05:25:49 AM »
How does the Wii not fall into the "Controller you can feel and see"?  It has force feedback and a physical controller and I can, you know, SEE it.  It's not invisible.

I think the way Sony weaseled through that is that if you look at that comparison chart you will notice that the Wii remote is not actually there. You see, its Move versus Kinect Versus the Wii, but not the Wii's controller... just the Wii system. So it was a pretty sneaky move that allows them to say something like that without actually technically lying, because the Wii console really doesn't have force feedback and all that. Of course the Wii's controller does, but that's not what Sony is comparisoning here.

And another really good reason why the Wii controller isn't depicted or even mentioned in that is because it would be very embarrassing to Sony to do so, seeing as how Move is such a blatant ripoff of what Nintendo invented 5 years ago. Why would they want to compare Move to it? So comparing Move to the Wii console (not the controller) was probably the wisest thing to do, from their perspective. Of course, the Wii console does come with its power cord, so it earned a checkmark for that.

Did anyone else notice that in the pictures you see a PS3 with Move and a 360 with Kinect, but the poor Wii is all alone with no wiimote? This wasn't an accident. If Sony were ever sued for fraud this is something they could fall back on to "prove" they weren't really lying.
is your sanity...

Offline that Baby guy

• He's a real Ei-Ei-Poo!
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: September 11, 2010, 10:46:08 AM »
The "feel and see" category is a reference to the fact that the PSEye picks up and displays where the controller is in video form back on screen, probably.  Games like Eyepet and the block-stacking puzzler, Tumble, utilize this to an extent.

The Wii-remote, conversely, isn't picked up by a camera, and therefore, can't be directly pictured on screen in it's real, physical location.  Thus, you can't see it, by Sony's marketing logic.

Not that I'm arguing it isn't faulty logic, I'm just posing why I think they would say that.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #648 on: September 12, 2010, 04:03:39 PM »
Playstation Move bundle..... $699.00 $599.99 @ QVC

Includes:
PlayStation 3 320GB slim gaming bundle
Rachet and Clank Tools of Destruction video game
Sports Champion game
Surf's Up movie
PlayStation Move starter pack with motion controller and eye camera
Deluxe vertical stand
Warrior pack with a shield and sword
Table tennis two pack
Archery bow
Disc golf/bocce ball/volleyball accessory
Four silicone controller skins
PlayStation 3 Blu-ray remote
System case
HDMI cable
Console measures approximately 11-1/2"W x 11-1/2"D x 2-3/4"H
1-year Limited Manufacturer's Warranty
Made in China
http://twitter.com/PlayStation

Unbelievable deal people, better get yours while supplies last :rolleyes:

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #649 on: September 12, 2010, 04:10:26 PM »
That shield looks like it has a emblem from The Legend of Zelda.
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.