Author Topic: Sony's Motion in the Blue Ocean  (Read 177927 times)

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
Re: Sony's Motion in the Blue Ocean
« Reply #575 on: June 08, 2010, 04:32:33 PM »
They are executing certain things in certain ways or implementation of how Nintendo implemented it was the only thing Nintendo had patented.

Like the D-Pad.

they couldn't stop others from using d-pads, but they couldn't be shaped like Nintendo's.
you will notice Sony has the separated d-pad and MS has the rounded one.

with the joystick, Nintendo has the octagonal ring around it. Sony's is smooth and loose and I don't remember the difference for MS's, but I'm sure it's not identical to Sony's or Nintendo's.

BUt I think Nitnendo's problem was only patenting specific implementation instead of blanket patenting an idea, but that may be because they weren't the first ones to come up with the tech, just the first one to use it in the way that they are.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #576 on: June 08, 2010, 05:25:54 PM »
Nintendo's problem is it's taking so long to destroy the industry.  Wish they'd hurry up and quit being generous to 3rd Parties and competitors.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline SixthAngel

• Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: June 09, 2010, 03:41:55 AM »
I'm glad as hell Nintendo didn't or can't patent more than the technology they are actually using.

Other patents are just anti-competitive and have no place.  I want other companies to be able to compete with Nintendo in their own way instead of being forced out because everything under the sun has been patented, including technology that isn't even being used.  Patents aren't supposed to lock out the competition.  There's more than one way to break an egg.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #578 on: June 09, 2010, 09:08:44 AM »
they couldn't stop others from using d-pads, but they couldn't be shaped like Nintendo's.

More likely because Nintendo didn't invent the d-pad.

SixthAngel, patents are supposed to give companies exclusive rights to something they created. If Nintendo creates something unique, they can (and should) patent it. Other companies then can either try to create their own version, license it, or wait 20 years for the patent to expire.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #579 on: June 09, 2010, 05:32:09 PM »

More likely because Nintendo didn't invent the d-pad.

yeah. I kinda mentioned that in my post.

But anyway, what I actually came in here to post.

Sony either has more to talk about at E3 than they have time for or they just really wanted to get it out that they are doing 3D first and are afraid that Nintendo is gonna drown everyone else(MS & Sony) out.

3D Gaming Arrives On PlayStation 3
Tomorrow, there will be a special PlayStation Store update, which will usher in a new era of videogames where you can truly feel part of the action. By downloading the 3D Collection you can play WipEout HD, SuperStardust HD, PAIN  and a MotorStorm Pacific Rift demo in amazing stereoscopic 3D.

You can download all four for the bargain price of €29.99 or pick them up for free when you buy a Sony Bravia 3D TV package. Of course, if you already own WipEout HD, SuperStardust HD or PAIN, there will be a free software update, so that you can play them in 3D

Apparently there will be 20 3D enabled titles this fiscal year for Sony and their Move Boxing game will be one of them.

I think it's kinda smart for Sony to get out ahead of E3 and announce some things they don't want lost in the flood of information, but this really seems like they wanted to get this out before Nintendo made a big stink about the 3DS and shat all over Sony's parade.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #580 on: June 09, 2010, 05:37:13 PM »
Are the shutter glasses free to download?

Will upgrading my PS3 upgrade my TV and smartphone to 3D?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #581 on: June 09, 2010, 05:45:52 PM »
They just needed to plant that flag before anyone else could say they did it first.

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #582 on: June 09, 2010, 06:46:19 PM »
Do what?  First to come second to the Virtual Boy?

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #583 on: June 09, 2010, 06:48:55 PM »
Not to mention that there have already been several 3D games this gen, both on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #584 on: June 09, 2010, 08:12:55 PM »
The first system to fully support FULL color stereoscopic 3D (without the need for red/blue glasses).

REAL 3D gaming....
not affordable 3D gaming, but break the bank just to play single player and BYO3DG if you wanna see what I see or try out the multi-player gaming.

That flag needed to be planted since Nintendo is about to drop a heavy boot on it with
REAL 3D gaming...
Affordable 3D gaming where everyone can afford to own their own screen (for close to the price of a pair of 3D glasses).

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: June 10, 2010, 12:53:51 AM »
Consumers who've recently upgraded their TVs and consoles to HD now experience the joy of having to upgrade once again to 3D!
is your sanity...

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: June 10, 2010, 02:44:24 AM »
Nintendo had the patent for the d-pad for years, but hardware patents run out after 20 years. Around the year 2000 it expired. I remember there was talk of it.
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: June 10, 2010, 02:53:39 AM »
Nintendo had the patent for the d-pad for years, but hardware patents run out after 20 years. Around the year 2000 it expired. I remember there was talk of it.

If it's true that Nintendo's D-pad design is no longer protected by patent, I'm surprised Microsoft and Sony haven't changed their designs to bring them closer to the D-Pad's (especially in Microsoft's case since that D-Pad is so shoddy.  Sony's is just a little weird since it's segmented).

The first system to fully support FULL color stereoscopic 3D (without the need for red/blue glasses).

REAL 3D gaming....
not affordable 3D gaming, but break the bank just to play single player and BYO3DG if you wanna see what I see or try out the multi-player gaming.

That flag needed to be planted since Nintendo is about to drop a heavy boot on it with
REAL 3D gaming...
Affordable 3D gaming where everyone can afford to own their own screen (for close to the price of a pair of 3D glasses).

Now in all fairness, Black, Nintendo's incorporating 3D technology with a handheld.  That's an entirely different application of the tech, so I wouldn't be praising Nintendo as you did right there.  It's not like they announced a 3D Wii HD.  Of course, I wish all these companies throwing their hat into the folly that is 3D would knock it off since it's even more of a gimmick than motion control has shown to be thus far.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #588 on: June 10, 2010, 09:24:11 AM »
What I said is true though.

1 is affordable 3D and the other is not.

1 I have to buy a new TV, 3D glasses for everyone that wants to watch and a PS3.
the other I have to buy a 3DS, which is speculated to cost about $50 more than a pair of 3D glasses.

There is no denying the facts.
They are both bringing REAL 3D gaming to the home, but for one I could afford it for the whole family to experience, and the other I couldn't afford it just for myself and much less for the whole family.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: June 10, 2010, 10:32:17 AM »

REAL 3D gaming....

REAL 3D gaming...

I remember shutter glasses coming with PC graphics cards in the late 90s.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: June 10, 2010, 11:38:01 AM »
If it's true that Nintendo's D-pad design is no longer protected by patent, I'm surprised Microsoft and Sony haven't changed their designs to bring them closer to the D-Pad's (especially in Microsoft's case since that D-Pad is so shoddy.  Sony's is just a little weird since it's segmented).

Sony hasn't changed the design of their controller in any respect since the original Dual Shock 15 or so years ago. At this point with it being so entrenched and with such a long history behind it it becomes less and less likely they will ever step in and fix its various quirks and annoyances. Maybe Sony is afraid that if they did revolutionize their controller their would be a backlash from their fans like what happened to Coca-Cola when they introduced New Coke in the 80s. That's probably why Sony backed down from that Batarang controller thing that they had unveiled prior to the launch of the PS3. It was just too different from the old dual shock design that fans know and "love".
is your sanity...

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: June 10, 2010, 01:22:38 PM »

REAL 3D gaming....

REAL 3D gaming...

I remember shutter glasses coming with PC graphics cards in the late 90s.

Those things gave me a headache

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: June 10, 2010, 05:08:05 PM »
i bet Sony's batarang was probably not half bad either.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #593 on: June 10, 2010, 06:01:35 PM »
Eurogamer Interviews Sony...
and Sony says something silly
Eurogamer: Have you seen much of the Nintendo 3DS?

Ray Maguire: No.

Eurogamer: How concerned are you about the 3DS as a rival 3D  technology?

Ray Maguire: You might think this is just a stock answer, but I  firmly believe the PS3 was way over-specced when it came out at launch,  as people thought then. We're now finding the vision of putting all that  into the box in the first place is coming to fruition. The ability to  do decent 3D, for instance, is only because of the processing power  within it.

You've seen the device transition from being games-focused into  something broader, with the firmware updates and the additions to the  cross-media bar. It's transitioned massively over the last three years  and you can see why we put the tech in there in the first place.

Obviously, the Slim has helped us get the price down a bit, and that's  helped to get it into more of a mass market. But fundamentally, you are  getting a lot of stuff in the PS3 for the money - and we haven't seen  all of it yet.

Eurogamer: But do people want over-specced technology? The Wii  and the DS have been winning the sales war hands-down, and they're the  least high-tech of all the machines on the market.

Ray Maguire: When you do the analysis, yes, some of our  competitors have been really successful. Appealing to a potentially  smaller market at a lower price is a great strategy, and it's worked  particularly well for one of our competitors.

However, when you then look at two years of massive decline, you wonder  whether saturation in one part of the marketplace is as good as having a  slower burn to enable a device to appeal to everyone in a mass market.  That's the position we took with PSone and PS2 and the strategy worked  with those two. We've already sold way over three-and-a-half million PS3  units now and we have yet to reach a mass-market price point.

So I think our strategy is correct. It gives developers the ability to  create without being limited. And now we can switch on 3D without having  to create a new machine.

Eurogamer: But is there a market for 3D? I don't know anyone who's got a 3D telly. I know plenty of people who are quite happy with their HD flat-screens and don't have any plans to upgrade, let alone enough cash. Who's going to buy all these 3D games?

Ray Maguire: The same argument would have been levelled at introducing a £425 PS3. The answer is, people do want new technology. There are always early adopters of technology; the same people who bought iPads are the same people who will buy 3D TVs. People crave the next experience. That's how we're programmed - we want bigger, better, deeper experiences. One of the ways to get those is by relying on companies like Sony to put R&D into technology and innovation.

Oh Sony... Nintendo has appealed to a potentially smaller market? Is that why you are rushing out with Move and Ms doing the same with Natal? Is that why Nintendo has nearly the same amount of Wii's sold as you and MS combined? Is that why the DS has taken the title of #1 & fastest selling machine from the PS2 and still growing?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 06:04:00 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: June 10, 2010, 06:40:24 PM »
so Sony is trying to say that a ps3 is such a long burn product that it will eventually eat Wii sales and have an even bigger market? That they released a product so powerful and over-specced that they didn't expect it to do well until they could get prices down, and then it could sell really well? Sony is getting fucking dumb. They forget they are competing with Microsoft? The biggest flaw with their "slow burn" plan is that in 5 years Nintendo has made several billion dollars, while Sony has done nothing but lose money. Not to mention 5 years after the Wii Nintendo can just release a more powerful than ps3 console and kill any advantage ps3 would have. Not to mention Microsoft would do the same thing.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #595 on: June 10, 2010, 07:10:35 PM »
It's typical Sony spin. What else can they say when the Wii typically outsells all 3 of Sony's systems combined?

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: June 10, 2010, 07:54:22 PM »
It's much better for marketing and more comforting to shareholders to say "Hey, it's sort of possible that we could come back and win in the long term" than to say "Nintendo beat the crap out of us in sales, so now we're blatantly copying them, and they've already beaten us at 3D before it even started," even when the latter is the truth.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: June 11, 2010, 01:42:29 AM »
the only spin sony should be making is "we make better stuff", which isn't the case. That is what Nintendo used to do when Sony was hammering them...but it was true

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: June 12, 2010, 10:00:08 PM »
every hing

EVERY HING

EVERY HING
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.