Author Topic: Sony's Motion in the Blue Ocean  (Read 177937 times)

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
Re: Sony's Motion in the Blue Ocean
« Reply #325 on: March 10, 2010, 05:58:11 PM »
Can't the Wii ever get an M+ exclusive that is NOT a Sports/Fitness game? Geez.... This pisses me off. If I were interested in Sports/Fitness I wouldn't be playing video games at all. They kinda defeat the point.
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: March 10, 2010, 07:00:22 PM »
Can't the Wii ever get an M+ exclusive that is NOT a Sports/Fitness game? Geez.... This pisses me off. If I were interested in Sports/Fitness I wouldn't be playing video games at all. They kinda defeat the point.

Red Steel 2, Zangeki no Reginlev, whatever Span Smasher's called now.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: March 10, 2010, 07:09:25 PM »
seems like PS Move is the official name.

I missed the first few minutes. Trying to do some P90X at the same time ;) multi-tasking FTW

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 10, 2010, 07:44:37 PM »
Apparently Zipper created the Move/SubCon control scheme for SoCoM that we've been using on games such as The Conduit and MW: Reflex. That's good to know.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #330 on: March 10, 2010, 07:47:28 PM »

Offline Guitar Smasher

• Score: 14
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: March 10, 2010, 07:51:29 PM »
Well I'd say the presentation was underwhelming from my perspective.  So Move is essentially Motion+, with no new ideas.  Even the marketing images and videos used are carbon copies of Nintendo media from 4 years ago.

The Sony exec explained that Nintendo did a good job of introducing motion controls to the masses, but that they will come to PS3/Move for the evolved experiences.  At this point, I find it hard to believe that families are going to a)buy a PS3, b)buy Move, c)buy extra controllers, d)buy games, when they can find the exact same experience on Wii, in which they have already invested.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: March 10, 2010, 07:55:32 PM »
RED OCEAN ALERT!!!!
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: March 10, 2010, 07:58:16 PM »
You've got to be kidding me...all that time and all that waffling about what they were going to call that damn motion controller, and the best they can come up with is "PlayStation Move"?  :Q
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: March 10, 2010, 08:00:18 PM »
"Move" is a pretty decent name.  It such an obvious literal name that none of us would think of it because we would try to be more creative.

The marketing slogans write themselves:  "Make your move", "It's your move", "Bust a move", "What's your move".  Easy stuff.  You could even call the launch day "moving day".  They could tell the Wii to "move over".  Damn, this is EASY.

The Sony exec explained that Nintendo did a good job of introducing motion controls to the masses, but that they will come to PS3/Move for the evolved experiences.  At this point, I find it hard to believe that families are going to a)buy a PS3, b)buy Move, c)buy extra controllers, d)buy games, when they can find the exact same experience on Wii, in which they have already invested.

It would come down to the games wouldn't it?  The Wii's motion control is largely casual focused stuff.  Sony makes Killzone 3 with Move support and what's the Wii got to match?  The Conduit?  But then you specified familes and, no, I don't think families will jump ship.  But Sony (and MS I assume) can lock the core market down.  The PS3 is now the Wii with better graphics and better third party support.  Nintendo's whole hook, the whole thing has made the Wii unique, is gone.

If Sony just tries to steal the casuals away though, that's a waste.  And they'll lose for sure.  Nintendo practically begs the core market to adandon them for good and all it will take is for someone to show the REAL potential of motion control.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #335 on: March 10, 2010, 08:05:53 PM »
Well, if Sony is intending me to buy this damn thing, they haven't made their case with actual games so far.  If they want to be taken seriously as the home for "serious" motion control, they need to hit hard with quality motion control games right out of the gate that people want to buy.  It's been years since just being able to fling around Sackboy in LittleBigPlanet with waggle would have been enough for me.

I haven't really been following GDC, but did they show RE5: Alternative at the show?  I would be interested in getting Move for that, just to have the same experience I got in RE4 Wii, and I'd rather buy that than the Gold Edition.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 08:07:41 PM by broodwars »

Offline Guitar Smasher

• View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 10, 2010, 08:11:13 PM »
For the core market, it will come down to games.  It always does.  But from what has been shown so far, there aren't any original ideas that core gamers will be interested in.  A significant portion of the demos were copies of Wii Sports Resort activities with more realistic graphics (note: not necessarily better).  SOCOM-type has already been achieved on Wii, again just with lesser graphics.  The fighting-type game looked clumsy and slow at first glance.

I guess we'll just have to see what games come in the future.  I absolutely think that Nintendo has the upper hand, having more experience developing motion games.  I think this will come to fruition this holiday, when a bunch of full-on core-type games come out for Wii, with full Motion+ support, whereas Move will only have its 'first attempts'.

Offline Shaymin

• Not my circus, not my monkeys
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 71
    • View Profile
    • You're on it
« Reply #337 on: March 10, 2010, 08:14:05 PM »
This would be a perfect time for NOA to run another Kanye on the PS3 and announce the black Wii.

Especially given their talk of being a transition console for the Wii-owning crowd.
Donald Theriault - News Editor, Nintendo World Report / 2016 Nintendo World Champion
Tutorial box out.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 10, 2010, 08:35:53 PM »
Sony is making Killzone 3 with move support?

So, whats Retro working on?
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 10, 2010, 08:52:28 PM »
Nobody out there is buying a PS3 for motion control, so this is basically a marketing checkbox.  It brings them onto an even level with Nintendo in terms of product features.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #340 on: March 10, 2010, 08:59:59 PM »
I find it hard to believe that families are going to a)buy a PS3($299), b)buy Move($99), c)buy extra controllers($39?x3), d)buy games($59), when they can find the exact same experience on Wii, in which they have already invested.

Lets add that up at my imaginary register
PS3 = $300
Move = $100 (comes w/ game)
Xtra Moves Wand ($40)
x3 = $120
Sub Controllers ($25) (nunchuck)
x3 = $75
Extra Games ($60)
x2 = $120
--------------
........$715
(system, camera, 4 motion wands, 4 subcons, 3 games, 1 DS3)

vs

Whats already invested in Wii

Wii (Walmart bundle) = $200 (2games w/ M+)
Extra Wiimote w/ M+ ($50)
x2 = $100
Extra Nunchuck ($20)
x3 = $60
Classic Controller Pro
x1 = $20
Extra Games ($50)
x2 = $100 (1x = WiiPlay w/ wiimote)
--------------------
.......$480
(system, 4 wiimotes, 4 nunchucks, 4 games, 1 ccpro)

I don't think any casual already invested in a Wii is gonna make the investment. Not even at the bare minimum needed.
(PS3 + Move w/ 1game + SubCon = $425) vs (Wii w/ 2games & MP + CCPro = $225)
Huge difference.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #341 on: March 10, 2010, 09:11:50 PM »
http://kotaku.com/5490574/how-the-playstation-move-is-not-a-wii-remote

The Move is $100? Yikes, ain't gonna happen for me.

But the thought of RE5 with RE4Wii controls makes me happy in my pants. It's just too bad I already have the core game (and DLC)!
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 10, 2010, 09:19:08 PM »
Well, technically he said under $100 dollars, but we all know that most likely means $99.99 in marketing speak.

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: March 10, 2010, 09:21:49 PM »

The Move controller is actually even more streamlined than the Wii Remote. Nintendo's Remote still offers/cnfuses a new player with a d-pad, plus, A, minus, 1 and 2 buttons as well as a home button and B trigger.

Why does that sentance from the article make it sond like the SubCon doesn't have a d-pad? Or was it strictly referring to the wand? Cuz i'm assuming they'd compare the controllers as a whole..

No off-hand gyro: The Wii Nunchuk has a sensor that detects motion, more crudely than does the Remote. The PS3's version of the Nunchuk, does not have a motion sensor, according to a developer I was speaking to. There's a chance that is not final, but that is the case with the controllers at Sony's showcase event today. But that's why two-handed boxing-style games were shown with two Moves. On the Wii, those kinds of games are handled, with supposedly less precision, with a Remote and Nunchuk

So in order to play a wii boxing like game one would have to invest an additional $40 for a second Move controller, or an additional $120 for 3 additional controllers if you plan on playing against a friend? Ouch.

And, hey, the Sony person showing me SOCOM didn't even make me wear the controller's wrist strap. A Nintendo person would never let me get away with that.

This part made me LOl. Will this be used against Sony in a court of law someday?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 09:27:13 PM by EasyCure »
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: March 10, 2010, 09:31:38 PM »
"Move" is a pretty decent name.  It such an obvious literal name that none of us would think of it because we would try to be more creative.
Screw you--I did think of it!

MOOV
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #345 on: March 10, 2010, 09:33:14 PM »
Quote from: Kotaku
The Z: Without a Wii MotionPlus, the Wii Remote cannot accurately sense depth. The Wii's sensor bar doesn't know how close the player is standing to their TV, not can it recognize movements toward or away from it. The PS3, however, can detect such movement in the Z-plane. It does this thanks to the sphere at the end of the controller. If the player moves the Move toward themselves, the PlayStation Eye camera sees the sphere shrink and therefore knows the controller has been moved in the Z-plane. Clever.

BULLSHIT!!!! that is how the sensor par is used too. it's how you zoom on some games.
it sees that the dots on the sensor bar got farther apart or closer together and zoomed in or out accordingly.

A smarter controller: I played SOCOM 4, a third person-shooter, with the Move pointed at the TV like a gun and the sub-controller in my left hand to command character movement. Wii games that were controlled with Remote and Nunchuk could be befuddled if the player pointed the Remote away from the screen. If you were playing a shooter and aimed just off the screen, the game's camera might start spinning or the game would pause and ask for the player to point at the TV again.
The guys from HVS said this problem was solved with the inclusion of M+ and that you could technically even shoot at enemies that were off screen. They were playing around with it or something like that, but dropped M+ from The Conduit due to time issues. (I think it was HVS that said this).
Still not as accurate as PSEye/Move, but it works exactly the same as if someone where blocking the camera like the Kotaku person said.

No wasted batteries: The Wii remote sucks up AA battery juice. The Move and its companion sub-controller are rechargeable via the same mini-USB connection used to charge the PS3's main controller.

No wire!: The Wii Remote and Nunchuk are tethered by a short cable. The PS3 Move and its subcontroller are not.
This raises the same concern that I had earlier. What if your playing a 2 player game and both of you need to recharge your wiichuck Move/SubCons at the same time. Aren't there only 2 USB ports on the PS3? and do you think the SubCon will come with it's own cable?

Lets say you are only playing 1 player and you need to charge your Move/SubCon at the same time. Would you rather switch out some rechargeable batteries and have your wiichuck tethered to each other, or would you rather tether yourself to your $300 Everything Machine hooked up to your real expensive 3D HDTV?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 09:48:54 PM by BlackNMild2k1 »

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: March 10, 2010, 09:34:29 PM »
Yeah! you tell that random poster on here instead of where he or she originally posted! GIVE HIM/HER HELL!
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #347 on: March 10, 2010, 09:40:40 PM »
Yeah! you tell that random poster on here instead of where he or she originally posted! GIVE HIM/HER HELL!

I'm still editing that post, but I'm not making an account at Kotaku just to call them on their FUD and get lost in some sort of flame war.  I let you guys know it full of **** and we can all just ignore them and their opinion, flame war avoided.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #348 on: March 10, 2010, 09:43:12 PM »
It'll be interesting to see how many companies put out patches to their old content that incorporates the Move, especially 2K Games (Bioshocks 1 & 2) and Naughty Dog (Uncharteds 1 & 2).  So far the only company we've seen do this is Capcom with RE5 (and I suppose Sony-owned Media Molecule as well with the LittleBigPlanet stuff).  I'd be surprised if Sony didn't work something out with Kojima to do something with Metal Gear Solid 4 and the Move.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #349 on: March 10, 2010, 09:48:00 PM »
I thought Arc was a bad name, but "Move" is horrible and is easily the worst accessory name I can remember (did Sony even bother market testing the name?). And if it costs $100? That will all but guarantee it fails. Sony continues its slide down this gen with terrible PR move after terrible decisions, Sony has done very few things right.

brood, didn't Capcom say they are releasing a new version of Resident Evil 5 that will support it? I don't think they said anything about releasing a patch so that owners of the game (and the Gold edition) can use PlayStation Move.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20