Author Topic: Sony's Motion in the Blue Ocean  (Read 177940 times)

Offline rmorrison100

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
    • Waste King Disposer
Re: Sony's Motion in the Blue Ocean
« Reply #775 on: April 24, 2011, 09:16:23 PM »
I think it's not bad at all.

Offline Halbred

• Staff Paleontologist, Ruiner of Worlds
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 17
    • View Profile
    • When Pigs Fly Returns
« Reply #776 on: April 24, 2011, 11:35:16 PM »
Hey, I've got a question: does Trophy support go away when PSN's not working (like it's not now)? 'Cause I was playing lots of TR Underworld last night and I didn't get one stinkin' Trophy, which is very strange. Now, if Trophy support IS down, will the Trophies I should have gotten not "count" when PSN goes back up? Because if that's the case, I may as well just restart my game (I just cleared the first level).
This would be my PSN Trophy Card, but I guess I can't post HTML in my Signature. I'm the pixel spaceship, and I have nine Gold trophies.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: April 24, 2011, 11:47:05 PM »
The only trophies that are effected are ones which you get through online play. I've been earning lots of trophies. The only thing you can't do is sync them with the server, so that might be an issue if you play over multiple systems. You can earn offline trophies in games as normal... and they will count once PSN is back up. The only thing PSN does is store them on a server so others can view them.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 12:13:10 AM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: April 25, 2011, 12:14:39 AM »
The only trophies that are effected are ones which you get through online play. I've been earning lots of trophies. The only thing you can't do is sync them with the server, so that might be an issue if you play over multiple systems.

Yep.  Any trophies you get offline can just be synched with the servers once they're back up.  I would hope so, anyway.  I've gotten 2 Platinums while PSN has been down.   ;)
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #779 on: April 25, 2011, 12:29:11 AM »
I've only got one Platinum period since I got my PS3 in January. Although, I got up to 90% in Black Ops and by rights I should have that one, but I'm stuck on those stupid trophies which REQUIRE a competent co-op team in Zombies but that's impossible. I beat the game on Veteran so I deserve the Platinum, but because of 2-3 zombie trophies which I can't do by myself I'm screwed.

The zombie trophies should be optional. They shouldn't factor in towards getting the platinum. Or at the very least they should just be ones you can get on your own and don't have to depend on someone else shooting you with a pack a punch crossbow. How the hell can I do that trophy on my own? No matter how great a player you are, you have to someone else help you with these. Its not right.
is your sanity...

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #780 on: April 25, 2011, 02:10:37 AM »
I've only got one Platinum period since I got my PS3 in January. Although, I got up to 90% in Black Ops and by rights I should have that one, but I'm stuck on those stupid trophies which REQUIRE a competent co-op team in Zombies but that's impossible. I beat the game on Veteran so I deserve the Platinum, but because of 2-3 zombie trophies which I can't do by myself I'm screwed.

The zombie trophies should be optional. They shouldn't factor in towards getting the platinum. Or at the very least they should just be ones you can get on your own and don't have to depend on someone else shooting you with a pack a punch crossbow. How the hell can I do that trophy on my own? No matter how great a player you are, you have to someone else help you with these. Its not right.

Yeah, I pretty much despise multiplayer trophies in general.  For one thing, you usually have to have very specific circumstances to get them that are so far beyond your control that you pretty much have to cheat and boost them.  For another, once the online servers go down, you're usually screwed these days since developers usually require that they be online multiplayer so you can't use local.

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #781 on: April 25, 2011, 02:48:47 AM »
Trophies are supposed to be for personal accomplishments, so the ones which require co-op with other players go against the point of what trophies are all about.

And I know what you mean about the online trophies. I remember not that long ago EA severed all support for a huge number of online games. Most of them were sports games like Madden from previous years. I'm sure most people weren't playing those older years anymore and may not care, but let's say there were some online trophies that someone had missed and they wanted to go back and complete those just for consistency's sake. Well, unfortunately that's impossible now because its no longer even possible to play those games online.
is your sanity...

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: April 25, 2011, 02:57:00 AM »
And, at least on the 360, it seems like most of the achievements in EA's sports games are tied to the online multiplayer.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: April 25, 2011, 10:14:21 AM »
PSN sucks. They should give everyone PS Plus for free for dealing with this bullshit, it's not like anyone actually pays for it anyway. Absolutely pathetic...5 days so far. It's so funny that this came on a free XBL Gold weekend too.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline NWR_insanolord

• Rocket Fuel Malt Liquor....DAMN!
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: -18986
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: April 25, 2011, 10:39:09 AM »
Yeah, Microsoft has to be pretty happy right now. They've got an anser to anyone criticizing them for charging for Xbox Live when PSN is free.
Insanolord is a terrible moderator.

J.P. Corbran
NWR Community Manager and Soccer Correspondent

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #785 on: April 25, 2011, 01:53:30 PM »
Yeah, Microsoft has to be pretty happy right now. They've got an anser to anyone criticizing them for charging for Xbox Live when PSN is free.

The irony, though, is that Microsoft would probably be doing the same thing as Sony if they were hacked.  They can't say anything comparing to PSN's free status until Sony brings PSN back online and does or does not compensate gamers for the trouble.

It would really be in Sony's best interest to bleed a little and at least give their Plus members a credit or something on PSN to apologize for this.  I don't expect we'll get anything, though (even though I'm a Plus member, there's very little that Plus does online).

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #786 on: April 25, 2011, 05:07:36 PM »
The irony, though, is that Microsoft would probably be doing the same thing as Sony if they were hacked.

Hard to say. I'm sure not everyone would overreact the way Sony did and shut the whole entire thing down for a week just because a handful of people were pirating. Then again, Xbox live might be more "robust" and this sort of thing might not have happened in the first place. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

I remember when Nintendo made the Opera browser on the Wii a free download they gave everyone who had paid for the browser in the past a 500 point credit which was the same amount that the browser had cost when they were charging for it. They didn't have to, but Nintendo is cool like that. Since Sony isn't cool like that no one will probably get anything, but they could give everyone a $5 PSN credit like Nintendo did.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 05:10:29 PM by Chozo Ghost »
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• Once killed four Deviljho in one hunt
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: April 25, 2011, 05:11:47 PM »
The irony, though, is that Microsoft would probably be doing the same thing as Sony if they were hacked.

Hard to say. I'm sure not everyone would overreact the way Sony did and shut the whole entire thing down for a week just because a handful of people were pirating. Then again, Xbox live might be more "robust" and this sort of thing might not have happened in the first place. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

I remember when Nintendo made the Opera browser on the Wii a free download they gave everyone who had paid for the browser in the past a 500 point credit which was the same amount that the browser had cost when they were charging for it. They didn't have to, but Nintendo is cool like that. Since Sony isn't cool like that no one will probably get anything, but they could give everyone a $5 PSN credit like Nintendo did.
If anything it be a month of Plus or some Sony game where they take a minimal hit.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes
so, I don't have to edit as Much.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: April 26, 2011, 08:34:50 PM »
Looks like PS3 has surpassed 50 million units shipped and Move has shipped over 8 million
Something seems suspect about that number. From what I can find, worldwide sales of the PS3 are around 38 million. Could that really be so far off, or does Sony really have 12 million PS3s sitting on store shelves and in warehouses?

Offline Chozo Ghost

• View Profile
« Reply #789 on: April 26, 2011, 08:38:50 PM »
How do replacements for broken systems factor into all this? I know the 360 failure rate was as high as 1 in 5 at one point. I don't think the PS3's failure rate was as bad as that, but it still has to be a significant factor. Even if its only 1 in 10 then out 50 million units that's 5 million that died and had to be replaced. Somehow, I think the failure rate is higher than that though, but I don't have the figures off hand.
is your sanity...

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #790 on: April 26, 2011, 08:55:09 PM »
Man My Big Old BC PS3 gets used at least 4 hours a day, if not all day, and its still going strong.
Need a Personal NonCitizen-Magical-Elf-Boy-Child-Game-Abused-King-Kratos-Play-Thing Crimm Unmaker-of-Worlds-Hunter-Of-Boxes

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: April 26, 2011, 10:19:19 PM »
Sony has been known to "Buy" their own product to inflate sales numbers so I would take anything from them without a pound of salt. It's wrong when you are more likely to believe what Microsoft might say than another company.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #792 on: April 26, 2011, 10:56:22 PM »
Man My Big Old BC PS3 gets used at least 4 hours a day, if not all day, and its still going strong.

By comparison, though, my old BC PS3 was used probably 5-6 hours every day, and it died last year.  Sony really did a piss-poor job designing the old model, as I was told by PS3 repairmen that all the original models will eventually die with the Yellow Light of Death (the newer ones use a different design that handles heat better, so they'll last much longer).  And once it happens once, your PS3 is living on borrowed time no matter how many times it's "repaired".  So enjoy your BC PS3 while it lasts, because from my own experience it probably has 1-2 years left in it at best.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: May 21, 2011, 12:40:52 PM »
Sony has outdone themselves this time and might possibly beat Project Café to the punch...

NGP/PSP to get Move support!?
http://playstationlifestyle.net/2011/05/20/ps-move-support-could-be-coming-to-ngp-psp/
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/y2011/0118032.html

Mobile gaming platforms are designed for playing games without the need to be attached to a display or a power source. Examples mobile gaming platforms include Sony PlayStation Portable (PSP) and PSP Go. Additionally, other devices whose main function is other than playing games can also provide mobile gaming functionality, such as cell phones, Personal Digital Assistants (PDA), MP3 players, etc. Online gaming is also possible, wherein a user can interactively play against or with other users over the Internet.

As game complexity continues to intrigue players, gaming software and hardware manufacturers have continued to innovate to enable additional interactivity. In reality, however, the way in which users interact with a game has not changed dramatically over the years. Commonly, users still play computer games using hand held controllers or interact with programs using mouse pointing devices. Portable gaming devices that have gyro and position sensing capabilities are often twisted and turned during game play to accommodate a user interface for the game. However, it is uncomfortable for the user to visually track the screen unless the user moves his head in the same direction as the twisting and turning of the gaming device. This is not often possible, resulting in poor gaming experiences.

As game complexity continues to intrigue players, game and hardware manufacturers have continued to innovate to enable additional interactivity and computer programs. A growing trend in the computer gaming industry is to develop games that increase the interaction between user and the gaming system. One way of accomplishing a richer interactive experience is to use wireless game controllers whose movement is tracked by the gaming system in order to track the player’s movements and use these movements as inputs for the game. Generally speaking, gesture input refers to having an electronic device such as a computing system, video game console, smart appliance, etc., react to some gesture captured by a video camera that tracks an object.

Embodiments of the present invention provide methods, systems, and computer programs for methods, systems, and programs for wireless interaction with a portable device. In one embodiment, a method operation establishes a communications link between the portable device and the stand. The stand tracks the motion of an input device within an interactivity zone. In another method operation, the portable device interfaces with the input device to generate actions associated with game objects in the portable device, where the interface takes place when the input device is in or near the interactivity zone. Additionally, the stand moves when the tracking detects that the input device is outside predefined boundaries near an edge of the interactivity zone. The stand movement information is transferred via the communications link to update the location of the interactivity zone.

Now this idea looks retarded when you think about using it with an NGP or PSP, but this is what I had in mind for the Café controller to do in use with the TV. That is assuming the IR lights in the controller wasn't a mistranslation.

But also not how it says the thing may be 3D compatible with the 3D glasses. We know PSP ain't doin 3D without a special contraption, but do you think the NGP might be able to do glasses 3D?

Offline Ceric

• View Profile
« Reply #794 on: May 23, 2011, 10:33:42 AM »
With a forward facing camera technically they would have everything you need to do Move support...

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
HotD: Overkill [Extended Cut]
« Reply #795 on: May 27, 2011, 12:46:07 PM »
Move gets House of the Dead: Overkill [Extended Cut]

http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2011/05/27/the-house-of-the-dead-overkill-extended-cut-announced/
When we released The House of the Dead: OVERKILL for Wii, one of the most common things we heard is the wish that it be on a next gen console. Your wishes have been heard and answered! That mutant massacring B-Movie blood fest, The House of the Dead: OVERKILL, is coming to the Playstation 3 with some great extras! The House of the Dead: OVERKILL Extended Cut is presented for the first time in spectacular high definition with 3D support and Playstation Move compatibility on the Playstation3. This gruesome shooter puts you in the middle of a mutant outbreak in Bayou County. The extended cut has all seven stages of the original re-mastered, and two brand new scenarios added, so the baddest just got bigger!

If you don't own the Wii Original, love B-movie horror, been looking for something to play on your PS Move and consider yourself a gamer, you should pick this up this Halloween.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #796 on: May 27, 2011, 12:52:30 PM »
Cool.  I'll probably pick that up, along with the PS3 version of No More Heroes assuming that both are dramatically better than their original incarnations.  So far, my Move has pretty much exclusively been used for Dead Space Extraction HD, so it'll be good to have another game I want to use the peripheral on (I'm still mulling over whether I want to bother using it for Killzone 3.  I would prefer using it on a good 3rd person shooter).

Offline oohhboy

• Forum Friend or Foe?
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: May 27, 2011, 03:53:53 PM »
Does the pointer function even work? Last time I played it was broken. An old school NES gun was better.
I'm Lacus. I'm fine as Lacus!
Pffh. Toilet paper? What do you think cats are for?

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• View Profile
« Reply #798 on: May 27, 2011, 05:00:44 PM »
I've only played Move once (it was a store display) and it seemed kinda floaty to me. not very accurate, atleast not nearly as accurate as the wiimote.

Offline broodwars

• View Profile
« Reply #799 on: May 27, 2011, 05:16:36 PM »
I've only played Move once (it was a store display) and it seemed kinda floaty to me. not very accurate, atleast not nearly as accurate as the wiimote.

TBH, I had issues playing Dead Space Extraction with it.  I had problems hitting small boss weakpoints that I don't remember having trouble hitting on the Wii version.  I haven't tried it with Resident Evil 5 yet, so I don't want to make a final judgement on the hardware yet, though.