Author Topic: Shadow Complex (XBLA)  (Read 8127 times)

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
Shadow Complex (XBLA)
« on: August 19, 2009, 03:03:21 PM »
Well, it's a nice Super Metroid clone, the damage balance is more like an FPS though and the shooting into the depth of the screen can be fairly annoying at times but it sure feels exploratory.

Offline Morari

• 46 DC EA D3 17 FE 45 D8 09 23 EB 97 E4 95 64 10 D4 CD B2 C2
  • Score: -7237
    • View Profile
Re: Shadow Complex (XBLA)
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 07:47:29 PM »
The game looks like an interesting throwback. I wish they'd release it elsewhere though. I'd even settle for Steam.
"This post has been censored for your protection."

--Bureau of Internet Morality

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 09:37:28 AM »
Yeah, buying a 360 doesn't look like it's in the cards for me. I wish the developper hadn't been bought by Epic. I want this on the PSN or Steam!

To console myself, I started playing Super Metroid again, partly motivated by the recent Retroforce Go podcast about it. Still holds up!

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 09:39:23 AM »
I picked this up last night, but I haven't put any time into it yet.  I'll check back in here when I can put a few hours in.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 10:15:00 AM »
Yeah, buying a 360 doesn't look like it's in the cards for me. I wish the developper hadn't been bought by Epic. I want this on the PSN or Steam!

To console myself, I started playing Super Metroid again, partly motivated by the recent Retroforce Go podcast about it. Still holds up!

I'm not sure why Epic wouldn't eventually bring it to at least the PC. That's really where they are their strongest as a company. Of course, after seeing the console-crap creep into Unreal Tournament 3, you do have to wonder.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 12:01:25 PM »
I heard there are actually orange doors in this game that you have to shoot with missiles to open.

Is this true?
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Pandareus

• NWR Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 12:27:55 PM »

I'm not sure why Epic wouldn't eventually bring it to at least the PC. That's really where they are their strongest as a company. Of course, after seeing the console-crap creep into Unreal Tournament 3, you do have to wonder.

Ah, you're probably right. See, I haven't been following PC gaming in a while, I wasn't even aware that GoW was on PC. I thought most of Epic's games were 360-exclusive. I'm glad there's a good chance SC will make it's way to the PC, then. I don't currently have a computer that could run it, but by the time it comes out, I definitely should.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 12:28:32 PM »
Red ones. Stuff that reacts to limited ammo weapons is color coded, red is for missiles. Grenades are green, the goo/freeze gun is purple, regular gun stuff is orange, etc.

The map system is 100% Super Metroid, even with dots where items have been found and thereare containers for health (worth 100 health points each) and all ammo types.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2009, 12:41:02 AM »
I've played a bit of this game. I like it.

Offline dack25

• I NEED TO READ THE AVATAR RULES PROBABLY
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2009, 06:29:58 AM »
I usually won't buy a game solely on a demo but after playing the demo for this game I definitely am picking this up. 

Offline Morari

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2009, 04:41:58 PM »
What do you normally base your game purchases off of? Because to me, a demo seems like the most representative way.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
  • Score: 10131
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2009, 11:32:03 PM »
Apparently the demo has an exploit that lets you play the entire game for free...details soon.
I think it says on the box, 'No Hispanics' " - Jeff Green of EA

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2009, 11:43:40 PM »
Well, I found how to do it, it's really easy, but I don't know if I should post the link. Technically you're not stealing the game, after all, it's just a glitch that let's you keep playing. You have to do the glitch if you restart the game too.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2009, 11:49:32 PM »
Finished the game. It's quite entertaining and definitely worth the $15.

Offline BranDonk Kong

• Eat your f'ing cat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2009, 12:38:28 AM »
I don't even have the demo, but I hear the game is excellent. I want to try it, and if it's that great (I see it compared to Super Metroid a lot), then I'd buy it - but I'm avoiding the latest Xbox 360 update because it blocks a new hack that will soon lead to homebrew somewhat akin to the original Xbox.

Offline Xander

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2009, 01:49:38 PM »
It's an excellent game. I'm about 7 hours into it.  Can't wait to play more tonight.  It's deliciously Metroidy.
This game's winner is: Ness!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2009, 03:11:48 PM »
I restarted my game in the hope that it will show the icons again. It didn't. I have no idea what's wrong there.

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2009, 11:14:25 PM »
KDR_11k, what icons?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2009, 10:36:13 AM »
The ? for items that haven't been found and the dot for ones that have. They disappeared when I got to the end of the game (google brings up a NeoGAF thread where one guy claims it's a feature when you're nearing 100% but since it didn't go away when I restarted the game from zero I assume it's a bug).

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2009, 10:25:01 PM »
Ah I see. I haven't touched the game in days after a finished it, but I will make sure to check that out.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2009, 02:39:41 AM »
At least restarting the game gives me the opportunity to up my level more (I'm at 33 or 34 ATM, every 10 levels you get a special perk) and try insane difficutly from the start (played on hardcore the first time tho0ugh being able to get the golden guns from the safe probably made it a bit easier again).

Offline Rize

• Disgruntled
  • Score: -2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2009, 12:16:01 PM »
This game is nothing compared to Super Metroid, but SM was one of the greatest 2D adventures of all time, so don't let that stop you from playing it.  It's a very solid game that will appeal strongly to those who like the Metroid and Metroidvania games.  Note: I've beaten the game and also completed the 4% run.

This game does rip off SM a lot, but it's more interesting for what it does differently.  The 2.5D is easily the best I've ever seen.  The story presentation added into the game is far stronger because of the ultimately 3D nature of the environments.  The game even puts enemies into the backgrounds and lets you fight them.  You aim with the right analog stick with complete freedom in 360 degrees.  If your laser sight, which normally stays in the left/right plane, crosses an enemy in the background, you aim into the background.  It can be a bit disorienting, but it's manageable especially on easy or normal difficulty.  I'm extremely interested to see what Nintendo does with Metroid Other M in response to this.

Let's see... what else is different.  There is a general stealth aspect to the game.  It's not needed in the easier modes, but in insane difficulty, you'd be crazy to just rush into a room and start shooting.  Like in an FPS, enemies don't know you're there until they see you.  You can get up behind someone and do a stealth/melee kill and then go back into hiding.  I really need to replay it on Insane mode... except...

Finally, the game has an unusual system where you gain experience points for various things (killing, exploring and picking up items), but each level grants you a specific bonus of some kind (like increased accuracy or stamina (defense?)) instead of a general increase to all stats.  The stranger thing is that once you've beaten the game once, any time you restart a new game after that you retain your experience level.  If you wanted to try a fresh level 0 run on insane difficulty, you'd have to start a new gamer profile or else delete your save file from the 360 system menu.  That would probably be *really* difficult.  Insane mode is probably there to continue challenging people replaying the game with a high level of experience.

All in all, a very cool game and well worth the 15 bucks.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2009, 12:27:11 PM »
I set it to insane towards the end when I had so much equipment that hard just wasn't challenging anymore. Now I'm playing from the beginning in insane but it really doesn't change that much (admittedly I'm running around with the gauss rifle already due to the gun safe), you still use cover, headshots, etc. Yes, you don't rush in and shoot randomly but you'll often just go into position and then go full auto at head height. Overall I don't see much difference with higher levels (except for the major perks obviously), at least not in the accuracy department. I headshotted enemies right from the start.

I'm not sure if the melee attack is really stealthy but if you want to open a battle the best way start by lobbing nades :P.

Offline kraken613

• tinyurl.com/2lrx46
  • Score: 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2010, 09:03:21 PM »
This is one of the reasons I really wanted a 360 again.

It's just my luck too it is 50% off this week!
~David~
3DS: 5214-9250-6646 - David
Playing Now: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2010, 10:25:32 PM »
This is one of the reasons I really wanted a 360 again.

It's just my luck too it is 50% off this week!

Well, FedEx decided to screw me over and not deliver my 360 today (granted, it would be early, but considering they had it at my local FexEx Friday Night with plenty of time to deliver it today, I'm still pissed), which means I won't be able to get it till Monday.  I hope the sale for this game is still going on by then.   :'(
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.