Author Topic: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Heading to Wii  (Read 24843 times)

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Heading to Wii
« on: August 05, 2009, 02:43:13 AM »
A port of the insanely popular 2007 first-person shooter is coming to the Wii, in November courtesy of Treyarch. UPDATED with official press release.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=19256

Activision is going to bring Call of Duty 4 to the Wii, according to Kotaku.    

Titled Call of Duty: Modern Warfare, the port is being handled by Treyarch, who worked on last year's Call of Duty: World at War.    

It is scheduled to hit stores on November 10, the same day as Modern Warfare 2 and the recently announced Call of Duty: Modern Warfare: Mobilized for DS.    

CALL OF DUTY®: MODERN WARFARE ® COMING TO Wii        Santa Monica, CA – Aug. 5, 2009 – The record-setting and award-winning Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is coming to Nintendo.  Activision Publishing, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATVI) will release Call of Duty: Modern Warfare on Wii™ on November 10 in conjunction with the launch of Infinity WardÂ’s Modern Warfare 2.    

Ported to Wii by Treyarch, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare will bring to Nintendo fans the gripping modern-day action-thriller that won more than 50 combined 2007 EditorsÂ’ Choice and Game of the Year Awards.    

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare for Wii is not yet rated by the ESRB.  For more information, visit www.callofduty.com.

Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Heading to Wii
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 02:39:27 AM »
Yay, a two year old game!
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 02:39:53 AM »
So they're giving us MW1 while everybody else gets MW2? What kind of lazy bunch are these people? They should at least make the Wii version MW1+2 then so MW3 can be released simultaneously on all systems.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 03:01:42 AM »
ahahahaha this ain't no Resident Evil 4.

Call of Duty: New Play Control?

Modern Borefare: Casual Edition?
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 410
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 03:05:30 AM »
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2years ago

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 03:23:35 AM »
Outdated Hardware

Outdated Warfare
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 04:35:51 AM »
Say what you want, but if I keep having the glitching problems with Conduit online, then this is a must-buy for me. I never played it anyway so I'll probably pick it up anyway since it is a critically acclaimed game.
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009, 07:42:19 AM »
Does Infinity Ward have some sort of itch against developing on Wii themselves?

Offline Athena Asamiya

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2009, 08:24:20 AM »
I think the death knoll was Treyarch.

There's a reason why they're calling the new one only "Modern Warfare 2"
SNK>Capcom

"Never trust b*****s working at a Gamestop store. 99% of the time, they have no clue what they're talking about because they were just hired due to titties."
-Dirk Temporo

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 09:15:33 AM »
Judging by the response here, this is not what Wii gamers want.  I personally am not interested because I don't like military shooters.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 09:17:12 AM »
The main issue for me with World at War was that I was paying full price for a watered down port & I'm not talking graphically. The knowledge that I paid $50 for a game that's missing Nazi zombies, tanks, & capture the flag just ate at me until I traded it toward The Conduit.

But then again, it may end up being the best bet for gamers that found The Conduit underwhelming so I may have to try Modern Warfare. Wonder if there's a snowball's chance in Hell that it'll have Wii Speak support. 
Mission...complete?

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 09:19:32 AM »
Judging by the response here, this is not what Wii gamers want.  I personally am not interested because I don't like military shooters.

I did want this game...when it first came out for the other two systems. I like military shooters, don't get me wrong. It's just how the Wii owners get treated like 3rd class gamers is annoying us.
Mission...complete?

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 09:38:14 AM »
Unlike Microsoft and Sony, Nintendo doesn't have any sort of multiplayer network that spans across games.  I don't really see how you can blame the developer for skimping on multiplayer featuers on the Wii as a result.  They would have to go above and beyond the call of duty (lol) and not only provide the game modes and features, but also do a lot of the work that was done for them on MS and Sony's consoles by providing the matchmaking and friend infrastructure. 

Not saying it can't be done, but have previous military shooters on Wii sold well enough to warrant this extra work?

Personally, I would rather games like this not come to Wii at all.  Develop a new Call of Duty game that takes advantage of what makes the Wii different from other systems.  Maybe it's not even a first person shooter, maybe it's a rails shooter or maybe something else entirely.  I have a 360, I don't need another version of COD4.  Even if I didn't have a 360, I wouldn't play this.  (I didn't play it very long on 360 anyways).

Having a system with a unique control scheme is only going to be (creatively) successful if the games on that system are tailored to that control scheme.  Ports of 360 games don't do that.

Offline Athena Asamiya

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 09:44:08 AM »
I personally love rail shooters, I was always the girl (with the PINK gun, of course) plugging quarters into the Time Crisis machine at the arcade.

I find that if I ever recommend one to a FPS fan, however, they react very poorly to the idea. I'm not saying they're right, I like both styles myself, but it's hard to sell the idea of a rail shooter to an FPS fan.
SNK>Capcom

"Never trust b*****s working at a Gamestop store. 99% of the time, they have no clue what they're talking about because they were just hired due to titties."
-Dirk Temporo

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 09:46:58 AM »
Rails shooters have been pretty successful on the Wii, much to my surprise.  Dead Space isn't out yet (is it?) but I'm pretty sure RE:UC sold well.

Offline Flames_of_chaos

• Dancing News Panda
  • Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2009, 09:51:54 AM »
Rails shooters have been pretty successful on the Wii, much to my surprise.  Dead Space isn't out yet (is it?) but I'm pretty sure RE:UC sold well.

RE:Darkside and Dead Space Extraction is coming out in the fall. RE:UC is a million seller.
PM me for DS and Wii game friend codes
Wii: 6564 0802 7064 2744
3DS: 4124-5011-7289
PSN: Flames_of_chaos XBL tag: Evulcorpse
http://twitter.com/flames_of_chaos/

Former NWR and PixlBit staff member.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2009, 09:52:59 AM »
How did HOTD:Overkill sell on Wii?  It was a critical success, but I never checked it out.  I really should do that, but I'd need to convince someone to play through it with me first. 

Offline Smash_Brother

• Let me show you my poké-balls
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2009, 09:58:00 AM »
For HOTD: Overkill, the graphics were worse than the DC HOTD games and everything was darker and hard to see, not to mention that you could buy an assault rifle with infinite bullets after level 1 and the game became insanely easy after that.
"OK, first we need someone to complain about something trivial. Golden or S_B should do. Then we get someone to defend the game, like Bill or Mashiro. Finally add some Unclebob or Pro666 randomness and the thread should go to hell right away." -Pap64

Offline Athena Asamiya

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2009, 10:05:36 AM »
I'm not saying they didn't sell a lot, I know they did. But it's hard to convince a guy who wants a completely DIFFERENT experience that he should play a rails shooter instead, that's all I'm sayin'
SNK>Capcom

-Dirk Temporo

Offline Deguello

• Cards makes me ill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2009, 10:53:02 AM »
They just better not act all surprised when this two year old game bombs.
It's time you saw the future while you still have human eyes.

... and those eyes see a 3DS system code : 2750-1598-3807

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2009, 11:09:11 AM »
So they're giving us MW1 while everybody else gets MW2? What kind of lazy bunch are these people?

Blame it on Activision, and then Treyarch.
I don't like Treyarch at all. I've extensively played Modern Warfare (XBox 360), and World at War (PS3), and there is such world of a difference in both single-player and multiplayer. I hate World at War.

Does Infinity Ward have some sort of itch against developing on Wii themselves?

I hope they don't. In in the near, I would really like to see an Infinity Ward game built from the ground up for the Wii.

I think the death knoll was Treyarch.

There's a reason why they're calling the new one only "Modern Warfare 2"

In the game? Yes. But on the packaging apparently it was changed back to Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2, and I assume it's because they (Activision) don't want to miss on sales if people buy the game only because it has call of Duty on it. Infinity Ward has had some bickering with Activision before, and I'm hoping for them to go independent or find a publisher that deserves their talent.

Offline BwrJim!

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2009, 11:10:56 AM »
First time I witnessed this game, it was on my friends LCD projector and it was the first time in my life a game as made me nauseous..

Perhaps, maybe perhaps they will use their current engine and tweak it more and more to get a better visual appeal.  I have Call of Duty WaW and its neat, but nobody plays it here so its just collecting dust and about to hit eBay.  In fact I don't even like these war games less for the on line presence

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2009, 11:25:57 AM »
I don't have a 360 so a decent Wii FPS game is something I'd like to buy. Even if they had to further scale back on the graphics to add gameplay elements like the vehicles & all of the maps, I'd be okay with that.

Of course I would also be all for a Wii exclusive COD game too. I'd overlook the missing features seeing how everything else would be new content. They can call it Call of Duty Modern Warfare: The Early Years or something.
Mission...complete?

Offline GK

• Lord of Lower Rank
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2009, 11:32:08 AM »
I have Call of Duty WaW and its neat, but nobody plays it here so its just collecting dust and about to hit eBay.  In fact I don't even like these war games less for the on line presence

Yeah, that was another reason I was willing to part with it. I had one friend code from a guy on youtube that outclassed me by like 20 or 30 levels. His other friends were up there too so when I was invited into a friend match I was pretty much dying left & right.
Mission...complete?

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2009, 11:37:46 AM »
This is the weirdest news I've heard in quite a while.

Pros:
- CoD4 is one of the best first-person shooters ever made.
- If all the online features are brought over, including in-game parties and voice chat, this should be the premiere online multiplayer Wii game.
- It's another chance to refine Wii FPS controls and compare them to what is available on other platforms. (Note: Classic Controller should still be supported.)
- There could be new features, such as World at War's co-op/on-rails mode, or some new connectivity with the DS game(s).

Cons:
- It looks really bad to release this at the same time the sequel (or arguably, the sequel's sequel) is coming out on other platforms.
- Considering that CoD4 has sold a billion copies, most people who wanted to play this gave have already done it on another platform. The potential market for this port seems trivial.
- The game is being ported by a different developer. You can't really predict how well the game will turn out based on the Wii versions of CoD3 or World at War, because those were Treyarch's own games. As far as I know, this is the first time Treyarch has ported a CoD game that was originally developed by Infinity Ward, although Treyarch has been using Infinity Ward's engines for a while.
- As noted earlier in this thread, Treyarch has a history of developing inferior Wii versions (missing features).

---------------

I'd be a lot more interested if Treyarch was developing an original Call of Duty game for Wii, or if Infinity Ward was developing a Wii version of one of their own games (preferably Modern Warfare 2).
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 11:42:33 AM by Jonnyboy117 »
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!