Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword  (Read 620954 times)

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
Re: New Wii Zelda
« Reply #1075 on: July 08, 2010, 01:14:05 AM »
I could see some prince of persia type gameplay where you have to dash through swinging blades or along a wall.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: July 08, 2010, 02:01:57 AM »
Weren't the dash boots how we did it in old 2D Zeldas?
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
  • Score: 64
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: July 08, 2010, 02:29:12 AM »
yeah i always pressed a to roll and pretended like it made me go faster, and if it did it was marginally
NWR has permission to use any tentative mockup/artwork I post

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: July 08, 2010, 12:35:47 PM »
One thing is that Link can actually run (faster) at any time, I believe when holding A. I always wanted something like that, I wonder how that could affect the game. Just reminds me of the way classic 2D games do it.

Like Perm I often roll everywhere out of impatience.  Running doesn't need to specifically affect gameplay, it would just be nice to have.  When you're on foot and are just trying to get from point A to point B Link usually feels slow as hell and it would be nice to have some way to go faster.  Most of the time the speed is fine but not when you're cutting across country.

Though it would be nice if they designed a world where I don't HAVE to cut across country.  Having a big empty field in the middle of the map is pretty lame design to begin with.

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #1079 on: July 08, 2010, 12:53:32 PM »
I still stand by the notion that I'd love to see Link control/handle like Nathan Drake from Uncharted 2. I'd love to see a more agile Link that can swing from vines to cross deep chasms, or climb large platforms in conjunction with the whip or hookshot.

That's all I could think about while playing Uncharted 2...
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #1080 on: July 08, 2010, 01:05:31 PM »
Hey guys, I'm sorry I don't run fast enough sometimes. I live on a farm and there's not much need for me to run around swinging a sword all day and carrying 10 different items on my back that are only useful in the dungeon they were found in and cutting down grass in hopes that I can get enough rupees for a new tunic, but I promise the next time I get word that the King of Evil is planning on plunging Hyrule into darkness and overtaking the Light World I will begin some cross-country training with the mailman. Again, sorry for inconveniencing your game experience.

--Link
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: July 08, 2010, 05:02:49 PM »
The 3D Zeldas have the horse as their faster means of travel across the overworld, although it couldn't be used in most towns and other such areas. The running boots are one item which have yet to be featured in a 3D Zelda game, and I think that would be a fun and useful addition. The Roc's Feather, which enabled Link to jump, is another possibility, if they wanted that to be more specialized instead of a basic function.

It'd also be neat to see the seed shooter from Oracle of Ages in a 3D game. It could ricochet shots off of walls, so it would be a fun gadget in 3D space.

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: July 08, 2010, 05:05:13 PM »
It'd also be neat to see the seed shooter from Oracle of Ages in a 3D game. It could ricochet shots off of walls, so it would be a fun gadget in 3D space.

The Seed Shooter should replace the otherwise-useless slingshot.  Seriously, that thing is only ever used in one dungeon, and is then quickly replaced by the Bow.  Having a weapon that can rebound off walls to reach targets gives the thing some puzzle-solving purpose after getting the Bow.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: July 08, 2010, 08:07:27 PM »
We could earn an upgrade for the slingshot that gives it the rebounding shots ability.

Though in this Zelda there is a separate use for both slingshot and bow. Bow controls like WS Resort; slingshot just needs the IR pointer and a simple button press. So slingshot is good for z-targeting enemies and taking them out quickly while the bow is more for precision shots.
My Game Collection

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: July 08, 2010, 10:37:20 PM »

Offline BeautifulShy

• Shifting my body across the galaxy
  • Score: 79
    • View Profile
    • My streaming page.
« Reply #1085 on: July 22, 2010, 11:21:06 AM »
Well in the newest issue of Offical Nintendo Magazine Aonuma confirms that Skyward Swords takes place before OOT and that there is a offical Zelda timeline.Only him,Miyamoto, and the director of the title gets to see the document.

So since this takes place before OOT can we expect some kind of origin story for the Master Sword. Also what about Ganondorf will we see him as he tries to find the Triforce for the first time. Many questions...
Maxi is dead. I killed him and took his posts and changed genders.
Alexis, she/her/Miss

Quote by Khushrenada in Safe Words 15.
I'm happy with thinking pokepal148 is just eating a stick of butter. It seems about right for him. I don't need no stinking facts.

Offline Sarail

• View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #1086 on: July 22, 2010, 12:52:07 PM »
I read a really good article over at Zelda Universe detailing a possible theory regarding the creation of the Master Sword and the race that created it.  I'll see about pulling that up a little later on.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Luigi Dude

• Truth Bomber
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: July 22, 2010, 01:22:29 PM »
So since this takes place before OOT can we expect some kind of origin story for the Master Sword.

This part has already been confirmed.  Aonuma said in an E3 interview that the Skyward Sword will eventually turn into the Master Sword at some point during the game.
I’m gonna have you play every inch of this game! - Masahiro Sakurai

Offline King of Twitch

• twitch.tv/zapr2k i live for this
  • Score: 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: July 22, 2010, 02:04:27 PM »
If the sword is being sent from the sky people, shouldn't it be called Groundward Sword?
"I deem his stream to be supreme and highly esteem his Fortnite team!" - The Doritos Pope and his Mountain Dew Crew.

Offline Sarail

• View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #1089 on: July 22, 2010, 02:10:17 PM »
So since this takes place before OOT can we expect some kind of origin story for the Master Sword.

This part has already been confirmed.  Aonuma said in an E3 interview that the Skyward Sword will eventually turn into the Master Sword at some point during the game.

I really hope this game dives deeper into the lore of Hyrule.  Seems that the control/gameplay has been developed to its fullest extent... what with OoT being the inception of this style of Zelda... hopefully this will bring us a deeper Zelda in terms of story.  With that said, I'd like to see the full creation of the Master Sword along with whatever world it is down below Skyloft (which obviously has to be Hyrule.. it's just not in the current state that we see it in games such as OoT or TP). I also hope we discover more about the race that created the Skyward Sword and everything to go along with it.

And here's the link I promised from my previous post... http://www.zeldauniverse.net/articles/the-legendary-puzzle-a-linear-history-of-the-master-sword/#more-15884 I'd like to see these theories come true.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: July 23, 2010, 06:37:29 AM »
Some interesting theories there. Though I dont remember Aonuma confirming the 'split timeline' theory. I thought that was all solely ideas from fans.
My Game Collection

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1091 on: July 23, 2010, 09:49:30 AM »
A interview with the Japanese magazine Nintendo Dream is what led to some fans believing that Aonuma supports the split-timeline theory:

When does Twilight Princess take place?

Aonuma: In the world of Ocarina of Time, a hundred and something years later.

–And the Wind Waker?

Aonuma: The Wind Waker is parallel.
In Ocarina of Time, Link flew seven years in time, he beat Ganon and went back to being a kid, remember? Twilight Princess takes place in the world of Ocarina of Time, a hundred and something years after the peace returned to kid Link’s time. In the last scene of Ocarina of Time, kids Link and Zelda have a little talk, and as a consequence of that talk, their relationship with Ganon takes a whole new direction. In the middle of this game [Twilight Princess], there's a scene showing Ganon's execution. It was decided that Ganon be executed because he'd do something outrageous if they left him be. That scene takes place several years after Ocarina of Time. Ganon was sent to another world and now he wants to obtain the power...
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Sarail

• View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #1092 on: July 23, 2010, 11:36:41 AM »
As crazy as it seems, I love how you really can piece all of the games together in a timeline.  Sure, you may have to stretch a bit or two to make things link together, but they fit really well.

I love the theory of the Oocca from TP being a de-evolved form of race that might have created the Master Sword.  We'll soon find out, now won't we? :)
Muh Backloggery!

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: July 23, 2010, 04:09:59 PM »
I actually predicted on the Bioware forum that the next Zelda game, which is Skyward Sword, would have a hybrid of Twilight Princess graphics and Wind Waker graphics put together. I also predicted that the game would be in third person like the older titles, but you would swing your wiimote like a sword and the motion plus would translate into into motion on the screen. I also said that you would be able to throw bombs like the bowling ball on wii sports. Was I right?
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.

Offline ThePerm

• predicted it first.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: July 24, 2010, 03:57:01 PM »
those were all things Aonuma and Miyamoto talked about doing at one point or another.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: July 24, 2010, 07:52:14 PM »
those were all things Aonuma and Miyamoto talked about doing at one point or another.

And half of the internets as well.
My Game Collection

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: July 25, 2010, 12:49:53 PM »
Does it really matter if the games belong on a timeline? They barely reference each other. That's kind of the point of the games existing in some chronological order. Some of the games can easily be placed in a timeline, some can't, and some don't matter. I kind of feel like it doesn't really matter because each game is its own story and none of them really rely on another game for pertinent background information.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #1097 on: July 25, 2010, 12:55:36 PM »
Actually, the console games reference each other a lot, especially The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (especially how the whole world had to be flooded after the "Hero of Time" abandoned Hyrule). Most of the Zelda games reference at least one other Zelda game, so it's nice to try and figure out how they all relate to each other.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Adrock

• Chill, Valentine
  • Score: 138
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: July 25, 2010, 05:12:19 PM »
Define "a lot." Understanding the plot of The Wind Waker is not contingent upon understanding the plot of Ocarina of Time. There's one reoccurring character and even then, The Wind Waker tells you enough about Ganondorf so that playing through Ocarina of Time isn't necessary, especially since Ocarina of Time didn't really tell players too, too much about Ganondorf in the first place. There are certainly connections between games, but the plots are more or less self-contained. For comparison's sake, watching Back to the Future Part III before the first 2 parts totally messes with the experience, even with the introductory recaps. Those movies are self-referential in a major way. Not so much with Zelda. I used to try to organize the series into a coherent timeline and there are a few that make sense. However, it's a mess quite frankly and even though a master timeline exists within the walls of Nintendo, it doesn't really affect the games too much.

Offline Kytim89

• Only question I ever thought was hard was do I like Kirk or do I like Picard?
  • Score: -156
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: July 25, 2010, 06:08:03 PM »
I always thought of the Moblins as the uruk-hai of the Zelda universe.
Please follow me on Twitter at: Kytim89.