Author Topic: Metroid Other M  (Read 420077 times)

Offline Mop it up

• And I've gotta say...
  • Score: 125
    • View Profile
Re: Metroid Other M
« Reply #250 on: June 16, 2009, 10:52:23 PM »
No. Birdo isn't going to copy the style of some other character. If Birdo stars in a game then it needs to be as unique as Birdo himself.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 16, 2009, 10:58:58 PM »
Well, I suppose Birdo could fly an Arwing, but.. I dunno, how does a Birdo handle intense G's?  Maybe Birdo could fit in a Power Suit.  Actually, that could work.  A Morph Egg, instead of a Morph Ball.  Alright.  Birdo can also be a fellow bounty hunter, adopted by the Chozo, if need be.

Co-op with Birdo confirmed in Other M? Though Yoshi does morph into an egg to roll around in Smath Brothers.

This thread is on a very odd swing.  ???

My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 17, 2009, 12:31:45 AM »
oh god what did I start?

"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline Chozo Ghost

• I do want the Wii U to fail.
  • Score: -431
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 17, 2009, 06:33:54 AM »
Birdo Fetish Costume

Image removed, hotlinking images/bandwidth leeching is NOT allowed. ~Flames_of_chaos
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 03:52:31 PM by Flames_of_chaos »
is your sanity...

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #254 on: June 17, 2009, 09:20:47 AM »
That is so disturbing.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline EasyCure

• wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle, yeah!
  • Score: 75
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: June 17, 2009, 10:38:06 AM »
Can we please stop talking about Birdo in a Metroid thread. This is getting pretty damn annoying considering no matter what topic in any given part of the forums a thread gets derailed with stupid birdo discussion, especially when theres TWO whole topics in the funhouse that can't be derailed because they're about NOTHING.

And i'm sure theres at least one funhouse thread soley about birdos sexuality. Can you just keep that **** outta here?

Every day i see new posts were added to a topic i'm interested in, and every day i get dissapointed that there is:

1: No new information (interviews, pics, trailers, etc)
2: Healthy discussion/game speculation

Now please, as a daily visitor to this site i ask you stop derailing every topic into this silly discussion. There's a time and a place for it and its the Funhouse (open 24/7).
February 07, 2003, 02:35:52 PM
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: June 17, 2009, 11:19:47 AM »
Can there ever be a female videogame heroine that isn't sexified?
Not until Birdo gets a game.

Freshly picked: Birdo's Rosy Eggland?

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 17, 2009, 04:34:45 PM »
I'm most interested in Metroid: Other M game because of how it appears to have 2-D gameplay.

When was the last time 2.5D was thrown around for a game?

A 2.5D Metroid has a lot of potential to both harken back to the classic Metroid formula, but also to expand it in new and exciting directions while still being in a similar vein to said classics.
My Game Collection

Offline NovaQ

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • dudeldopp
« Reply #258 on: June 17, 2009, 06:31:23 PM »
I'm most interested in Metroid: Other M game because of how it appears to have 2-D gameplay.

A 2.5D Metroid has a lot of potential to both harken back to the classic Metroid formula, but also to expand it in new and exciting directions while still being in a similar vein to said classics.

Klonoa just came out and is 2.5-D, though it is a remake of a game from the 90s. At any rate, it did some interesting things with the added half-D, particularly branching paths that depend on depth (as opposed to just height and width like regular 2-D).
I like to do drawings.
Blaarg
Wii: 7332 2646 9948 9927

Hello new job, goodbye life...

Offline Dirk Temporo

• Score: -1
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 17, 2009, 09:50:35 PM »

Smash Bros, New Super Mario Bros, Viewtiful Joe, Phantom Hourglass...
"You've had your dream old man. It's time to wake up!"
-Travis Touchdown

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 18, 2009, 12:46:23 AM »
Phantom Hourglass was really considered 2.5D? Huh. I never looked at it like that, but it works I suppose.

Could Other M possibly do what Star Fox 64 did and have the gameplay open up into full 3D movement for boss fights?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 12:48:00 AM by Stratos »
My Game Collection

Offline NovaQ

• View Profile
    • dudeldopp
« Reply #261 on: June 18, 2009, 09:43:32 AM »
Could Other M possibly do what Star Fox 64 did and have the gameplay open up into full 3D movement for boss fights?

I think the trailer already reveals hints of 3-D boss fights. It's definitely going to be interesting to see what the devs do with 2.5-D.
I like to do drawings.
Blaarg

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 18, 2009, 10:26:44 AM »

I think the trailer already reveals hints of 3-D boss fights. It's definitely going to be interesting to see what the devs do with 2.5-D.

Hm.. do you mean when they go into a first person view? Cuz I've been questioning that lately.. If the games 2.5D, but had sections in full 3d but with a FP perspective, I'd hope the player isn't immediately thrown into them. I just feel that play control wise, it could get confusing, but only if done wrong.
EASYCURE: I remember thinking(don't ask me why) this was a blond haired, blue eyed, chiseled athlete. Like he looked like Seigfried before he became Nightmare.

Offline NovaQ

• View Profile
    • dudeldopp
« Reply #263 on: June 18, 2009, 10:45:39 AM »
There might be select boss battles that are completely handled in first-person 3-D. I imagine in those cases there could be either a cutscene or a "WARNING, WARNING" kinda thing where the camera transitions into Samus' helmet.

But wasn't there also a clip in the trailer that showed Samus running toward the screen (in 3rd-person, of course) as a boss chased after her? I suppose that's another way bosses could be handled - that is, with the camera focused on the boss while also allowing Samus to be seen.
I like to do drawings.
Blaarg

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 18, 2009, 11:04:03 AM »
There might be select boss battles that are completely handled in first-person 3-D. I imagine in those cases there could be either a cutscene or a "WARNING, WARNING" kinda thing where the camera transitions into Samus' helmet.

But wasn't there also a clip in the trailer that showed Samus running toward the screen (in 3rd-person, of course) as a boss chased after her? I suppose that's another way bosses could be handled - that is, with the camera focused on the boss while also allowing Samus to be seen.

its so hard to tell with that trailer though, cuz even the parts that looked like gameplay could've been in-game cinematics. Guess we'll see when more info is released.

Oh and i'm confident that they'd pull off the perspective switch fine. Unless they give you a button to go from 2.5D to FPS 3D at your choosing (like super paper mario did sorta), it'll probably be just like you mentioned: some sorta cutscene will play out to transition you from each perpsective. Just like how Star Fox 64 did!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 11:09:19 AM by EasyCure »

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 18, 2009, 02:44:00 PM »

That's why I mentioned it. It really looked like you have more freedom on some of those fights.

I'm not sure if I like the idea of forcing a perspective change like that.
My Game Collection

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 18, 2009, 03:01:07 PM »

That's why I mentioned it. It really looked like you have more freedom on some of those fights.

I'm not sure if I like the idea of forcing a perspective change like that.

Well it would kinda have to... If you could change perspective at will the game might be feel a little broken.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 18, 2009, 03:13:36 PM »
I've changed perspective at will in a lot of games. Mario, Zelda, racing games. Even Metroid Prime has different perspectives you control at will. It all depends on how the game is designed.
My Game Collection

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: June 18, 2009, 03:26:23 PM »
I've changed perspective at will in a lot of games. Mario, Zelda, racing games. Even Metroid Prime has different perspectives you control at will. It all depends on how the game is designed.

But those examples might make a game thats shown off as 2.5d seem broken if you can just choose to go into first person and shoot enemies instead of performing those crazy stunts we see samus pull in the trailer. It works in mario and zelda etc cuz the games already in full 3d, but when you have a fixed perspective, the game would have to be carefully balanced if it were going to let you change perspective at will.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #269 on: June 18, 2009, 03:40:44 PM »
Standing still in first person Metroid is lame.  The trailer did not indicate it would be more than "point at this."
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline EasyCure

• View Profile
« Reply #270 on: June 18, 2009, 03:52:50 PM »
Standing still in first person Metroid is lame.  The trailer did not indicate it would be more than "point at this."

Thats exactly what i thought. It felt like instead of it being portions of the game that play in free-roaming 3D first person view, you'd get more of a shooting gallery type of game play. Maybe even... *shudders* ON-RAILS!

METROID: OTHER MESS

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #271 on: June 18, 2009, 04:06:58 PM »
LAFFO

Space Pirate Carnival Ride level, confirmed.
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline BlackNMild2k1

• Animal Crossing Hustler
  • Score: 409
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 29, 2010, 03:29:21 PM »
Official Website launched today

http://metroid.jp/

Offline Caterkiller

• Not too big for Smash Bros. after all
  • Score: 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 29, 2010, 03:46:30 PM »
Looks so un-Metroid like, with that picture they chose. But I don't mind this new direction at all, looking forward to it very much.
Nintendo players and One Piece readers, just better people.

RomanceDawn

Offline Ian Sane

• Champion for Urban Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 29, 2010, 05:53:13 PM »
Looks so un-Metroid like, with that picture they chose. But I don't mind this new direction at all, looking forward to it very much.

It does look odd but it fits the style we saw at E3.  I have a feeling this is a serious attempt from NCL to make Metroid popular in Japan.  I flip flop between excitement and concern.  We just need to find out more about it.  And considering how soon this is due for release we won't have to wait long.