Author Topic: MAFIA #32: Super MAFIA Bros. ***SIGN UP THREAD***  (Read 44941 times)

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
Re: MAFIA #32: Super MAFIA Bros. ***SIGN UP THREAD***
« Reply #125 on: March 24, 2009, 05:05:58 AM »
Your now a recovering GP fan? Did she physically abuse you or something to cause you to be 'recovering' from something?

I'm fine with you joining if it goes to a group vote, though that might cause me to be 'recovering' from GP as well. We may need to start a support group for people recovering from GP  ;)

Talk to my agent, Decoyman, my NUMBER ONE fan. I don't scuffle with the little peoples.

P.S. I have to say that blackfootstep's avatar is adorable though so I may get softer on my stance!

So then if I picked out really cute avatars I could possibly convince you to not vote to kill me in mafia? I already know you don't like my regular one because he looks guilty of a crime  :P

Maybe then again you stole Greg's favorite character and Greg is the best, so I may hold a grudge.

Greg Leahy from the podcast Greg? Is this his character? I thought his avatar was Yoshi. Was he even going to play? Now your making me feel bad for jacking a character. (And I thought I had picked an original one too)
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 24, 2009, 05:09:29 AM »
Your now a recovering GP fan? Did she physically abuse you or something to cause you to be 'recovering' from something?

I'm fine with you joining if it goes to a group vote, though that might cause me to be 'recovering' from GP as well. We may need to start a support group for people recovering from GP  ;)

Talk to my agent, Decoyman, my NUMBER ONE fan. I don't scuffle with the little peoples.

P.S. I have to say that blackfootstep's avatar is adorable though so I may get softer on my stance!

So then if I picked out really cute avatars I could possibly convince you to not vote to kill me in mafia? I already know you don't like my regular one because he looks guilty of a crime  :P

Maybe then again you stole Greg's favorite character and Greg is the best, so I may hold a grudge.

Greg Leahy from the podcast Greg? Is this his character? I thought his avatar was Yoshi. Was he even going to play? Now your making me feel bad for jacking a character. (And I thought I had picked an original one too)

Yes that Greg, aka the Greggers aka Yoshi's biggest fan. He isn't playing the game but is probably heart broken you have stolen his beloved Yoshi dinosaur.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 24, 2009, 05:17:53 AM »

Yes that Greg, aka the Greggers aka Yoshi's biggest fan. He isn't playing the game but is probably heart broken you have stolen his beloved Yoshi dinosaur.

But I'm not Yoshi, I'm Boshi. Did you not play Mario RPG? Boshi is different from Yoshi and...your just teasing me again, aren't you. Well played GP, well played :P
My Game Collection

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 24, 2009, 05:19:46 AM »
Boshi and Yoshi are one of the same. Yoshi is a species. So take that Greg feeling hurter who didn't ask for his permission!

« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 05:22:23 AM by GoldenPhoenix »
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 24, 2009, 05:32:36 AM »
Boshi and Yoshi are one of the same. Yoshi is a species. So take that Greg feeling hurter who didn't ask for his permission!

So I jacked his species? He can have the green ones. Let me have the blue/purple ones. You can have the golden Yoshis. Then when they use their final smash you will be pretty darn close to a 'golden phoenix'.
My Game Collection

Offline blackfootsteps

• Recovering GoldenPhoenix fan.
  • Score: 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 24, 2009, 06:53:22 AM »
Let BFS Play!!!

Recovering ME fans aren't allowed to play.

But...but...you're always wrong ;) So that means BFS can play! At least until Drew tells me no!

And yes, my avvy is awesomely cute, mmm mummified dog.
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 24, 2009, 08:00:40 AM »
I haven't done any role assignment yet - so BFS can play.  Welcome to the game! 

Okay, signups are over now for-reals so that I can actually put together the role assignments.
Your conversational partner has disconnected.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 24, 2009, 08:03:07 AM »
Still looking for characters from the following people:

Pale
Plugabugz
nickmitch
RABicle
Kashogi Y. Stogi
blackfootsteps

If you don't pick one, then you'll probably just be generic Mushroom Kingdom. 

Offline decoyman

• is a raging alcoholic (and Moppy's #1 fan)
  • Score: 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 24, 2009, 08:32:07 AM »
Now, now, everyone hold on just a minute here.

Toad steps out of the shadows, removes his dark sunglasses and straightens his tie and sportcoat.

Ms. Phoenix is a very busy woman, and doesn't have time for all this. But as her agent, I'll of course be happy to take your questions.
Twitter
3DS Friend Code: 3067-7420-5671 (Aaronaut)

Offline blackfootsteps

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 24, 2009, 08:32:40 AM »
Great!

Is chain chomp taken? If not I will assume that role I think.
“I waited all day. you waited all day.. but you left before sunset.. and I just wanted to tell you the moment was beautiful. Just wanted to dance to bad music drive bad cars.. watch bad TV.. should have stayed for the sunset...if not for me.â€

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 24, 2009, 08:45:45 AM »
Right on. 

Okay, Random.org has been consulted, and roles have been assigned.  I'll try to get them out this morning sometime, so you can have the rest of the day to strategize.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 24, 2009, 08:52:33 AM »
A quick sneak peak - numbers are breaking down like such:

Total Mafia: 6 (1 of which is a Hammer Bros)
Total Townies: 16 (1 of which is a Hammer Bros.)

If you're thinking that sounds like a pretty high percentage of mafia, it's because I decided a few days ago that they were at a bit of a disadvantage due to the mole, so I bumped up their numbers 5% or so. 

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 24, 2009, 09:09:20 AM »
Hmm... I'm starting to see some flaws in the rules that I wrote, and I'm wondering if it's too late to make some adjustments, before the game starts.

I wrote that only Bowser can kill Mario, which makes sense until one of the other members TRIES to kill Mario, and I have to suddenly explain to the entire group why the hit failed.  It outs Mario to the game, and that has serious consequences.   

Secondly, if Bowser dies, and chooses the Hammer. Bros to be the new godfather, the mafia is effectively screwed. 

Suggestions for workarounds on these points?

Offline blackfootsteps

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 24, 2009, 09:37:07 AM »
Maybe the Mafia's hit success rate is set at 90%. This way the Mafia wouldn't be sure whether it was a failed hit because of Mario or because of their own ineptitude at the killing arts.

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #139 on: March 24, 2009, 10:02:54 AM »
Can I just be a generic toad person different from THE toad? =P

Anyone have an avatar for me?
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Stogi

• The Stratos You Should All Try To Be Like
  • Score: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 24, 2009, 10:15:07 AM »

That's the only picture I could find.
black fairy tales are better at sports

Offline decoyman

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 24, 2009, 10:34:43 AM »
What if, after the godfather dies, instead of a NEW godfather being chosen, the remaining mafia members have to each send in a hit. If there's a majority, you go with that target. If it's a tie, you use your randomosity to decide who the target is.
Twitter

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 24, 2009, 10:42:37 AM »
Hmm... I'm starting to see some flaws in the rules that I wrote, and I'm wondering if it's too late to make some adjustments, before the game starts.

I wrote that only Bowser can kill Mario, which makes sense until one of the other members TRIES to kill Mario, and I have to suddenly explain to the entire group why the hit failed.  It outs Mario to the game, and that has serious consequences.  

Secondly, if Bowser dies, and chooses the Hammer. Bros to be the new godfather, the mafia is effectively screwed. 

Suggestions for workarounds on these points?

I wouldn't call those problems per say. The mafia loses a member due to the hit and even if Mario is revealed, that means the doctor could then protect him at night to prevent the mafia from capitalizing on this fact. Of course, if the doctor is dead before, not much can be done for protection.

Of course, you don't have to tell every detail in the story and if you wanted, you could just say the person was protected from the mafia hit. Thus, the mafia would be unsure if the person was Mario or was protected by the doctor and thus the hit didn't work. At the same time, you couldn't reveal the target because the doctor would know who he protected and this would tell him who Mario is.

As for the second problem, I just figured that was part of the strategy for the hammer bros. Not to mention, the killer or bob-omb could take out one of the Hammer Bros killing them both. There's always the daily vote as well to kill one of the hammer bros.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 24, 2009, 10:59:27 AM »
Well considering that Mario has immunity from the Mafia (sans bowser) I'm going to consider it a side effect of that immunity that if such immunity is needed, his cover is blown.  It'll be up to Luigi to protect his brother if that goes down.

This has the potential to be disastrous.  I guess we're going to find out!

As to the Hammer Bros. as godfather suggestion, here is my proposed workaround:

In the event that the godfather of the mafia dies, the remaining members will all vote for a new godfather.  If there is a tie in the vote, then I will choose one of them at random.

This way, if the Mafia votes in the Hammer Bros - they have done themselves in.

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 24, 2009, 11:00:58 AM »
What I want to know is this: If Bowser dies and Mario is still alive, does the new godfather have the power to kill Mario or does only the original godfather, Bowser, have that power? Can the Hammer Bros. kill Mario? You stated that the doctor can not protect someone who had targetted bob-omb for a hit. What about if bob-omb decides to blow himself up and take some people with him. Can the doctor protect a person from bob-omb targetting them? Can the doctor protect himself?

If someone starts a bandwagon against Peach and Wario changes that person's vote, would that person still face the Peach backlash? Could Wario change someone's vote so that they become the leader of a bandwagon? Does a person have to have voted for Wario to change his vote? Can Wario change his own vote? What happens if a tie occurs and Wario doesn't break it or is dead?
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 24, 2009, 11:13:11 AM »
What I want to know is this: If Bowser dies and Mario is still alive, does the new godfather have the power to kill Mario or does only the original godfather, Bowser, have that power?

Only Bowser can kill Mario.  If Bowser goes down, Mario cannot be killed by the Mafia.

Can the Hammer Bros. kill Mario?

Yes. (At least they could when I played Super Mario Bros. - and they did.  OFTEN!)

You stated that the doctor can not protect someone who had targetted bob-omb for a hit. What about if bob-omb decides to blow himself up and take some people with him. Can the doctor protect a person from bob-omb targetting them?

I actually didn't write Bob-Omb as an offensive character, just defensive.  I kind of forgot that the Bomber can do that in most games.  I will revise his character to include an offensive attack, and in this case, the doctor would be able to protect the bomber's attack move, but NOT the bomber's defensive ability.  Does that make sense?

Can the doctor protect himself?

Absolutely.

If someone starts a bandwagon against Peach and Wario changes that person's vote, would that person still face the Peach backlash?

Now that is an excellent question.  I would say that Wario changing someone's vote is equivalent to someone changing their own vote, and thus does not have an effect on death by lynching.  In other words, Wario's action does not stop someone from dying via Peach's ability.

Could Wario change someone's vote so that they become the leader of a bandwagon?

Going by the same logic, I'm going with "no" on this one.  He can change the content of the vote, but this does not change who started the bandwagon.

Does a person have to have voted for Wario to change his vote?

Yes.

Can Wario change his own vote?

Yes.

What happens if a tie occurs and Wario doesn't break it or is dead?

Hmm, it appears I did not write any tiebreak rules.  I'll do it now, and revise the original post.  I liked your rules from Mafia 31, so I'll stick with them here.

In the event of a tied vote, there will be an overtime, sudden death voting period of 30 minutes.  The only votes that may be cast are votes for one of the players who were tied in the voting. 

If the tie is unresolved after 30 minutes, then the vote is nullified and both players will live to see another day.

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 24, 2009, 11:19:21 AM »
Okay, I'm going to start sending the roles out now.

Offline decoyman

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 24, 2009, 11:31:25 AM »
Whoa, two things:

Luigi being able to protect himself is maybe too much power. What's to stop him from just saying, "Hey, I'm Luigi, everyone. Mario, investigate me tonight for proof. I'll be protected against mafia hits for the rest of the game!, so come on and join the townie bandwagon!"

Also, it may be a bit overpowered to have Mario – who also is the investigator and will be gaining advantages every night for the entire time he is alilve – be potentially unkillable for the mafia. Maybe one hit will be stoppable, but the next will succeed? Like he loses his ability to investigate after the first hit non-bowser hit, then the second time the mafia hits him, he dies. (kinda like going from Super Mario to Little Mario then to Dead Mario, you know?).

I mention both of these scenarios because they take some of the fun out of "classic" mafia, of not knowing for sure who's who, of always having some degree of doubt. That's the prime quality in a mafia game that, to me, makes it so much fun.
Twitter

Offline NWR_DrewMG

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 24, 2009, 11:57:33 AM »
You bring up very good points  - which is why I was going to observe a few more games before I hosted one. 

Hmm, what do you guys think?  We still have some time, I'm still open to rule revisions.  Decoyman makes some very good points that I clearly hadn't given much thought too.  I guess I was under the impression that the doctor being able to protect himself was a pretty standard mafia rule.

Anyways, I decided to send the roles out one at a time, which means that I need to wait an hour before I can send the last few people their roles.  Oops.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 12:08:14 PM by DrewMG »

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #149 on: March 24, 2009, 12:38:38 PM »
I gave Drew mod permissions in the mafia forum, and I left Khush's in place so he can still help out. It won't give him any unfair advantages so don't worry about that.  If it did, then I would have unfair advantages =P

As for the rule changes... I'm all for totally experimental games of mafia... in my opinion if problem we'll find out during the game and know not to do it next time. =P
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram