Author Topic: Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 137  (Read 14145 times)

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 137
« on: March 15, 2009, 07:39:00 PM »
Karl Castaneda sits in the guest chair for this action-packed show!  We finally kick off the RetroActive discussion of Eternal Darkness, too.
 http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/podcastArt.cfm?artid=17974

May the slugs dissolve your eyes!  

Episode 137: The Darkness Comes    

AAC Format        Subscribe to AAC Feed    

MP3 Format        Subscribe to MP3 Feed    

Subscribe via iTunes        Digg Radio Free Nintendo    

Mr. Lindemann is still swamped with work, but your old RFN host, Karl Castaneda, was happy to fill in this week.  In addition to having some interesting perspective on Eternal Darkness (no Suda, no buy), he gives us first impressions on Mad World.  Also in New Business: Jonny vigorously defends Galactrix, and Greg less vigorously defends Link's Crossbow Training.    

The large second segment is devoted entirely to Eternal Darkness, the third game in our RetroActive feature.  The regulars all love it, with some caveats, and we cover everything from Resident Evil comparisons to our favorite insanity effects.  Is the dynamic camera really that good?  Can you enjoy a game where the characters keep dying?  The listeners share their own thoughts on these questions and many more.    

The closing Listener Mail segment leads the gang into a few thoughts on the Resident Evil news, WiiWare demos, our moral gaming qualms, and a follow-up on whether games can seriously deal with death.  It's a great batch of questions, and we'll have even more next week, along with the conclusion of our Eternal Darkness revisit.    

Credits:    

This podcast was edited by Greg Leahy.    

Music for this episode of Radio Free Nintendo is used with permission from Jason Ricci & New Blood. You can purchase their new album, Rocket Number 9, directly from the record label, or download it from iTunes, or call your local record store and ask for it!  

THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
  • Score: -1350
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
Re: Radio Free Nintendo: Episode 137
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 09:10:52 PM »
I am listening to the episode now. I don't remember Karl, maybe because I just started listening about a month ago.
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 11:13:37 PM »
I am listening to the episode now. I don't remember Karl, maybe because I just started listening about a month ago.

Go listen to episode 103, as that's the last episode I remember him being in.  Hell, listening to episode 103 is mandatory in any case.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2009, 11:24:35 PM »
I will eventually, I am listening to them in reverse order (I am now at episode 125).
Help out a poor college student, buy video games and Blu-ray Discs at: http://astore.amazon.com/spyke-20

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
  • Score: 70
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 05:24:08 AM »
Don't forget that Pichu Bros. game that never came out may have been the last vestige of Meowth's Party.

I enjoyed the podcast, great once as per usual. And YAY! for getting a comment read on RetroActie again! Though I was a bit sad that it got cut off, but I'm not offended, I know that one was a bit long winded. I was just happy that you touched on the hero death matter at all whether or not you even mentioned my comment.

Also, thanks for the sensitivity that you dealt with the matter of suicide. I have had that matter hit close to home a few years ago in regards to a friend and only recently can I say I am able to deal with the general  matter of suicide.

Go listen to episode 103, as that's the last episode I remember him being in.  Hell, listening to episode 103 is mandatory in any case.

Was that the Imfamous one where Jonny was absent, Greg hosted and everything went to Hell? I LOVED that one.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 05:28:40 AM by Stratos »
My Game Collection
NNID: Chronocast
Switch: SW-6786-5514-9978
3DS Friend Code: 0447-5723-6467
XBL Gamertag: Chronocast

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 05:35:44 AM »
Yes.

Another great episode. You're on a roll!
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline Yoshidious

• Silent Partner
  • Score: 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2009, 07:34:55 AM »

Was that the infamous one where Jonny was absent, James hosted and everything went to Hell, and he never hosted the show again? I LOVED that one.

Fixed in the interest of accountability :)

Karl last joined us on Episode 120 for a feature discussion on hype and expectations in gaming - it's not 103 (what is?) but it's still well worth a listen.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 07:43:59 AM by Yoshidious »
Greg Leahy
Former RFN Editor

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 11:16:28 AM »
I hope y'all don't get upset when we trim down letters and forum posts to be read on the show.  There's an inherent awkwardness to reading someone else's words out loud, and I try to make things flow better by making the quotes concise.  There's also the issue of time; we're just not going to read a 1000-word email on the show.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline ShyGuy

• Fight Me!
  • Score: -9660
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 11:53:14 AM »
I liked the insanity effects, they got me at first. ;)

Offline broodwars

• Hunting for a Pineapple Salad
  • Score: -1011
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 01:30:07 PM »
My big problem with Eternal Darkness is the Sanity Meter, as it allows you to know instantly if anything you see on-screen is a Sanity effect.  That takes any surprise out of anything the game can do to you the entire game, and completely nullifies the point of the Sanity effects.  Also, let's say you play through the game with the Sanity Meter intentionally left empty (the most enjoyable way to play the game).  Then you have to deal with an endless barrage of women and babies crying, which is just too obnoxious to deal with the entire game.
There was a Signature here. It's gone now.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2009, 07:17:18 PM »

Was that the infamous one where Jonny was absent, James hosted and everything went to Hell, and he never hosted the show again? I LOVED that one.

Fixed in the interest of accountability :)

Karl last joined us on Episode 120 for a feature discussion on hype and expectations in gaming - it's not 103 (what is?) but it's still well worth a listen.

Oops, I think I just remembered you incorrectly as host because there were a recent couple where you hosted during the holidays. I'm going to listen to that episode again for fun.

My big problem with Eternal Darkness is the Sanity Meter, as it allows you to know instantly if anything you see on-screen is a Sanity effect.  That takes any surprise out of anything the game can do to you the entire game, and completely nullifies the point of the Sanity effects.  Also, let's say you play through the game with the Sanity Meter intentionally left empty (the most enjoyable way to play the game).  Then you have to deal with an endless barrage of women and babies crying, which is just too obnoxious to deal with the entire game.

I actually didn't have that issue with the meter. I typically was so engrossed with the games events that I didn't know where my meter was. Now I'm too good and rarely does my sanity go too far down so I have to purposely not finish zombies to see more effects.
My Game Collection

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2009, 08:31:12 PM »
I hope y'all don't get upset when we trim down letters and forum posts to be read on the show.  There's an inherent awkwardness to reading someone else's words out loud, and I try to make things flow better by making the quotes concise.  There's also the issue of time; we're just not going to read a 1000-word email on the show.

I sent in a question that kinda fits that "1000 word" description. It's just hard to explain!

*hopes it gets read out*

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2009, 10:09:57 PM »

I do understand. Doesn't mean I can't wish that you did read the whole thing, but I trust you to convey the points accurately.
My Game Collection

Offline TofuFury

• Made you look!
  • Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2009, 01:52:28 AM »
I have to say, I've never been interested in survival horror. Your discussion on Eternal Darkness makes it sound like it might be worth checking out. Oh, and the editing in this episode was top notch.

Also, wasn't Karl in 120: Hype Man? I've recommended that one to a few of my friends.
TheNorthSea/TofuFury

"So, Mike, no skydiving Grandma, huh? Man, they lead you up to something great, and then they just shoot it down. Stupid grandma-leaver-outers" - Tom Servo

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2009, 01:56:42 AM »
Greg really did a fantastic job with the editing on this episode.  I think maybe James helped with some of the special tricks, too.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2009, 04:28:34 AM »
Speaking of the editing, I have always been struck by your level of professionalism in editing the podcast, Greg. The way you do the chapter breaks and changing images to how well the actual cleaning of the recording is performed. It was one of the major things that caught my eye   ear to the RFN podcast and did lead to my return and eventual active participation on the site. I am an aspiring podcast creator and am only a dabbling newbie, but I ascribe to reaching anything remotely close to your level of skill.

I really love the sanity effects on this episode. I was listening to it on my iPod in my car and I have to use one of those radio receiver/transmitters and pick it up on my cars radio (heh, Radio Free Nintendo on the radio). Since I was making a 160+ mile trip the open bands I can listen to it on changes over the course of the trip. I know when I have to change the transmitting band when another station starts to walk over your show and I hear bits of both at the same time. The effects occured and I kept switching bands thinking it was such an issue. It wasn't until around the third time you did it that I realized what you were doing. I literally yelled in my car "THIS...ISN'T...REALLY...HAPPENING!"
Good job and good show.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 04:30:09 AM by Stratos »
My Game Collection

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2009, 06:03:46 AM »
Greg automatically wins for "Karl sucks" :D

When i heard the sanity effects i was thinking each time if my hearing was packing up again (i got fluid in my left ear hence the concern) and took my headphones out to see if everything else sounded the same.

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2009, 07:29:41 AM »
Greg automatically wins for "Karl sucks" :D

When i heard the sanity effects i was thinking each time if my hearing was packing up again (i got fluid in my left ear hence the concern) and took my headphones out to see if everything else sounded the same.

But did you think "THIS...ISN'T...REALLY...HAPPENING!"?
My Game Collection

Offline Sarail

• That Starlink makes me wet.
    • View Profile
    • Sarail's Safe Haven
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2009, 11:55:30 AM »
Great episode, guys.  Keep up the amazing work.  And Karl, I'm sorry Nintendo has frustrated you to the point of leaving the site... I never understood the reason why.  I've got plenty of reasons why sitting underneath my TV next to the Wii -- all core titles, too.

But, oh well!  I own a PS3, too, and I still rock out more with the Wii...  the games are just a whole lot more fun.  :)
I like Nintendo more than j00!
Jet. Force. Gemini. 'Nuff said.
Muh Backloggery!

Offline NWR_Karl

• Red Velvet
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2009, 12:19:26 PM »
Oh, I didn't leave the site because I couldn't deal with Nintendo anymore. I just wanted to focus on being a student for a while. As for games on the Wii, I think it's actually got a pretty decent release schedule for the rest of the year (provided we get that new Punch Out, that Vanillaware game, etc etc), which is a welcome change.
----
Karl Castaneda
Associated Raconteur

Offline NovaQ

• Score: 1
    • View Profile
    • dudeldopp
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2009, 01:34:20 PM »

Nuts. I sent in a longer one a week or two ago. I'll try to trim it down and send it again. Thanks for the heads-up!
I like to do drawings.
Blaarg
Wii: 7332 2646 9948 9927

Hello new job, goodbye life...

Offline Plugabugz

• *continues waiting*
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2009, 02:46:27 PM »

Nuts. I sent in a longer one a week or two ago. I'll try to trim it down and send it again. Thanks for the heads-up!

Me too! I tried to make mine more "palatable".

Offline Stratos

• Stale lazy meme pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2009, 03:29:46 PM »
Don't worry guys, look at it as a chance to develop your writing to convey ideas more concisely.
My Game Collection

Offline TJ Spyke

• Ass
    • View Profile
    • Spyke Shop
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2009, 09:26:50 PM »
You seemed to be pretty negative on Nintendo in general Karl. I'm not sure how much was joking, but it seemed to be mostly negative things only.

Could you guys maybe talk about what you think of the New Play Control! games? Ones that you have played of coarse.

Offline NWR_Karl

• Red Velvet
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2009, 12:28:49 AM »
Without turning this into a completely different discussion, I'll just say that I don't mean to be completely negative - I'm just of the opinion that Nintendo could be doing more in certain areas without compromising their new market. It's something that often came up during my stint on the show. I'm just naturally critical of things I like (in this case, the Big N). If this was Radio Free Microsoft, I'd have an entirely different basket of complaints.

Still, I'd like to think that I'm not centered on pointing out flaws. Even as I slighted Eternal Darkness for not being what I was looking for, I pointed out that I knew exactly why people enjoyed it so much, and that I still respected the effort.

So yeah, in closing, I do like Nintendo. There are just things about the way they operate that I disagree with, is all.
----
Karl Castaneda
Associated Raconteur