Author Topic: Return of the Professor Layton Love Thread!  (Read 19433 times)

Offline Khushrenada

• is an Untrustworthy Liar
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 38
    • View Profile
Re: Professor Layton Love Thread
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2009, 05:23:31 PM »
The lack of love I see for proffesor layton in the thread is disturbing.

What do you want me to say? I'm waiting patiently for the next game ot come out so I can devour it and if the Professor Layton movie gets released here, I am going opening day to check it out. There's love. There's just not much to say.
Whoever said, "Cheaters never win" must've never met Khushrenada.

Offline Athena Asamiya

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2009, 09:45:51 PM »
You can officially count me in for spreading the Layton love. I loved the first game, which led to many random outbursts of "Leeeuuke, my boy, this reminds me of a PUZzle!"
SNK>Capcom

"Never trust b*****s working at a Gamestop store. 99% of the time, they have no clue what they're talking about because they were just hired due to titties."
-Dirk Temporo

Offline mantidor

• Score: 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2009, 09:33:35 AM »
The lack of love I see for proffesor layton in the thread is disturbing.

What do you want me to say? I'm waiting patiently for the next game ot come out so I can devour it and if the Professor Layton movie gets released here, I am going opening day to check it out. There's love. There's just not much to say.

Well, I know that. Still, I thought people would be more excited.

However, I agree all we can do for now is wait.
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2009, 06:02:58 PM »
Isn't Layton pretty heavily changed for localization when it comes to the puzzles used?
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2009, 06:45:10 PM »
Some puzzles are (mostly the ones that involve puns, double meanings, etc.) because they don't translate very well.

As I understand it, a lot of puzzles that were from the Japanese Layton 2 were put in the first American version, which is partly the reason why it took so long for a sequel to arrive over here.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2009, 06:57:23 PM »
Some puzzles are (mostly the ones that involve puns, double meanings, etc.) because they don't translate very well.

As I understand it, a lot of puzzles that were from the Japanese Layton 2 were put in the first American version, which is partly the reason why it took so long for a sequel to arrive over here.

Ah that is interesting. Well I can't wait for this game!

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2009, 03:27:13 PM »
I just got our early review copy of Professor Layton 2. In short, it's awesome.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2009, 03:35:52 PM »
I am eternally jealous.  At least for the next week ....
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2009, 03:41:30 PM »
I just got our early review copy of Professor Layton 2. In short, it's awesome.

I want. :(
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline Elixir

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2009, 11:46:05 PM »
I completely forgot that this was coming out so soon!  The first game was absolutely delightful, and there is no doubt within my mind that the second will be any different.  Though I do wonder how they will play off the puzzle theme again considering the entire awkwardness of villagers randomly pulling Layton aside to do puzzles was due to them being dolls.  Curiosity and anticipation settling in!

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
    • View Profile
Re: Professor Layton 2: Diabolical Box - AVAILABLE MONDAY!
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2009, 09:18:05 AM »
My wife ordered this for my birthday on Monday...the only problem is that Amazon isn't sending it until the 31st.   Noooooooo!

Seriously, can't wait though.  This is the only game that could keep me from playing the Metroid Prime Trilogy. :)
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2009, 06:21:37 PM »
I completely forgot that this was coming out so soon!  The first game was absolutely delightful, and there is no doubt within my mind that the second will be any different.  Though I do wonder how they will play off the puzzle theme again considering the entire awkwardness of villagers randomly pulling Layton aside to do puzzles was due to them being dolls.  Curiosity and anticipation settling in!

Holy crap! Spoilers!?! Well, so much for playing the first game. Totally ruined.

Offline Elixir

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2009, 07:36:24 PM »
Oh dear, my apologies!  Just let me add spoiler tags to t...

*rips quote out and slaps it on Khush's forehead*

I just finished playing the first Professor Layton 4 days and completing all challenges. I get why people are so excited. I loved this game. One of the few games where I actually kept playing the game steady and wanted to finish it all. So many games I start and stop and start and stop. This game I made the time to keep going through it. Awesome game. Can't wait for the next one.

^_~

Offline Khushrenada

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2009, 04:07:54 AM »
Well, if you couldn't tell I wasn't being serious, the fact that I quoted your post and did not add spoiler tags would be a tip-off. Plus, I was actually doing it for the benefit of those who have not played the game. Although, it isn't that hard to figure out as you play the game. It starts to become pretty obvious.

Although, on a side-note, I do often end up playing games long after they are released since I want to buy them at a cheaper rate. However, this often means many things will get spoiled by the time I do play the game. This is one of those rare times where I am actually on top of things. I guess that's the trade-off for waiting but I wonder, should there be an expiry date for spoilers?

Offline Elixir

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2009, 04:20:36 AM »
Well a joke quote gets a joke response, no? =)

And how about if you have not played the original of a sequel (there is a bit of gray in this area, I must admit, like the Zelda series), or should I say "direct sequel" like Layton pretty much is, then you do not enter a thread about said sequel?  It does not make much sense to do so, really, and it can be frustrating to think about what needs to and what not needs to be spoiler-tagged in such a situation.

Now obviously when this game comes out I will be spoiler-tagging spoilers accordingly, as everyone else.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Re: Professor Layton 2: Diabolical Box - OUT NOW, MY FUNK SOUL BROTHERS!
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2009, 11:49:15 PM »
So... who's got it?  Who's beat it?  Who's made sweet love to it?
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2009, 12:40:23 AM »
So... who's got it?  Who's beat it?  Who's made sweet love to it?

I have done the latter two.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2009, 11:42:58 AM »
Amazon finally delivered this to my mail box yesterday evening.  I got to play a few hours, and I love it so far.  I couldn't put it down.   The story and setting both have a more compelling hook this time, IMHO, and I love the fact that some of the puzzles seem to be more directly connected to the mystery or setting at hand.

Loved the last game; I'm sure that I love this one even more.   I only hope that Nintendo doesn't wait so long to localize the third game.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2009, 02:40:52 PM »
As much as I'm sure to love this game, I decided not to get it right away.  I'm currently playing through Henry Hatsworth and starting September 15 Scribblenauts is going to own my soul.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2009, 02:48:28 PM »
I want to get this game but I still haven't even completed the first game!

Offline vudu

• NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2009, 02:56:08 PM »
Still stuck on the princess box?

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2009, 03:11:16 PM »
Still stuck on the princess box?

:P

I'm not stuck anywhere, it is just one of those things where it got put in my backlog with 50 bazillion other games.

Offline mantidor

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2009, 03:58:03 PM »
God Damn! this game finally comes out and I'm in deep debt ;_; argh
"You borrow style elements from 20yr old scifi flicks and 10 yr old PC scifi flight shooters, and you add bump mapping and TAKE AWAY character, and you got Halo." -Pro

Offline bosshogx

• View Profile
    • Monday Night Crew.com
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2009, 09:43:49 AM »
One of my friends is a huge Layton fan and got me playing the first one a while back.  He's been a non-stop chatterbox over the sequel.  Then he surprises me by penning this comic:

http://www.mondaynightcrew.com/issues/comic_0178.html

Should I be worried?
www.mondaynightcrew.com
A video game webcomic that's updated every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
Wii 2338-1768-8759-4933
Planet Puzzle League 180490-316211
Advance Wars 171922-891988

Offline Caliban

• In Space As Always
  • Score: 32
    • View Profile