Author Topic: Stanley Cup Playoffs  (Read 23070 times)

Offline swimguy228

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
Stanley Cup Playoffs
« on: April 11, 2003, 04:12:21 PM »
I'm from Detroit, and this is the time of the year that all of us Detroiter's live for. This year, there are many teams that have a shot at winning hockey's holy grail, and there should be some great hockey in this season's playoffs. In fact, there already has. That amazing triple overtime game between Detroit and Anaheim was one to watch (expecially if you were at it like yours truly ).  Also, every home team (the higher seeds) except for New Jersey lost their first game.

Though Detroit lost, I still feel that they are going to go on to win the cup again, yet they will have to go through many great teams to win. But you saw last night how a team can be totally outplayed (Anaheim) and still win a game. Giguere played absoulutley stellar, and pretty much won the game for the Ducks. He made his NHL playoffs debute with 63 saves, the most ever for a debute.

Here are the matchups by the way:

WESTERN CONFERENCE
(1) Dallas             vs.       (8) Edmonton
(2) Detroit            vs.       (7) Anaheim
(3) Colorado         vs.      (6) Minnesota
(4) Vancouver      vs.       (5) St. Louis

EASTERN CONFERENCE
(1) Ottowa           vs.       (8) New York (Islanders)
(2) New Jersey     vs.       (7) Boston
(3) Tampa Bay      vs.       (6) Washington (D.C.)
(4) Philadelphia    vs.       (5) Toronto
I pitty da fool who bought da Xbox. ~ Mr. T

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
Stanley Cup Playoffs
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2003, 04:17:59 PM »
well i live near philly and i have to say that i love the flyers

personally i love hocky, not as much as football or basketball, but i love it
and when the flyers play good- watch out
i think that the finals will be a rematch between detroit and philly- except hopefully with different results
i call the big one bitey.

Offline Cashcow

• View Profile
Stanley Cup Playoffs
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2003, 04:43:01 PM »
Red Wings will win it.

Who else?

Ok, maybe I'm biased because I was born in Detroit, but they're still an amazing team. They played harder than Anaheim last night, even though they lost.
<(0_________o)>

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
Stanley Cup Playoffs
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2003, 04:48:51 PM »

Like tonight?

Wooo hoooo!!
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
Stanley Cup Playoffs
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2003, 05:17:08 PM »

Originally posted by: The Omen

Like tonight?

Wooo hoooo!!

absolutely!!!!
that was an awesome game tonight- 4-1 flyers
hopefully they can keep that up and run through the playoffs

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
Stanley Cup Playoffs
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2003, 05:47:22 PM »
  I don't think my Flyers will win the cup, however (reverse psychology?)

But if they get through the first round, I think they will get to the finals against Dallas.  Dallas would probably win.  Can't wait to see Dallas - Detroit and NJ -Philly.
"If a man comes to the door of poetry untouched by the madness of the muses, believing that technique alone will make him a great poet, he and his sane compositions never reach perfection, but are utterly eclipsed by the inspired madman." Socrates

Offline Tman

• View Profile
Stanley Cup Playoffs
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2003, 03:23:14 AM »
The first detroit game was awesome. (2-1, ANA 3ot)

dallas will prolly come out on top from the west, if not them vancouver. Detroit won't repeat, CuJo still plays like a leaf, choke city come playoff time.

From the east its NJ all the way, Ottawa loves to tank in post season.  

I see the final shaping up to be Dallas vs. NJ, NJ in 6.

(this is an unbiased prediction from a devils fan )

...I almost forgot, Leafs suck.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
Stanley Cup Playoffs
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2003, 03:52:32 AM »

...I almost forgot, Leafs suck.

I second that!  I despise them

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
Stanley Cup Playoffs
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2003, 04:03:25 AM »
WOW

I cant believe all the FLyers fans, great to see.

Yesterdays game was great and I expect more of the same from the broad street bullies.

I smell a cup this year, I really do.

Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline baberg

• View Profile
Stanley Cup Playoffs
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2003, 04:57:04 AM »
Well, I don't know who's going to win.  And to be honest, I don't care who's going to win.  I just want the games to be good (3OT game was incredible).   It's the same way I feel about the Super Bowl, the World Series, etc.  I don't follow the sport enough to have a prediction of who will win the Cup, so I usually end up cheering for the underdogs.  And the underdogs really came through in Game 1 of each of those series - 7 upsets, I couldn't believe it.

However, friends at work are big Capitals fans, so I'll be cheering the Caps on to victory over the Lightning.  But in any case, I'm really looking forward to the series.  Multiple games of hockey to watch nearly every night - it's Hockey Heaven.
Name: Barry
Town: Hyrule

Offline Tman

• View Profile
Stanley Cup Playoffs
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2003, 05:00:09 AM »

Originally posted by: baberg
And the underdogs really came through in Game 1 of each of those series - 7 upsets, I couldn't believe it.

One team wasn't upset. Who was it again....oh yea THE DEVILS. And a little stat for you boston fans...NJ is 6-0 in playoff series when they are up 2-0 in a series.

Offline thecubedcanuck

• View Profile
Stanley Cup Playoffs
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2003, 05:29:30 AM »
I would rather dig through a pail of puke with my bare hands looking for a penny than watch the boring devils play.

The philly machine shall crush the she devils with ease.  
Having sex when your 90 is like shooting pool with a piece of rope

Offline Tman

• View Profile
Stanley Cup Playoffs
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2003, 05:58:36 AM »
You call it boring, I call it the best Defense in the NHL, and who won the Atlantic division? Last time philly won the cup 1975. Last time the Devils won the cup, 2000. last time philly was in the cup final 1997, last time NJ was in the cup final 2001.  

Offline rpglover

• View Profile
Stanley Cup Playoffs
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2003, 07:26:21 AM »

Originally posted by: thecubedcanuck
I would rather dig through a pail of puke with my bare hands looking for a penny than watch the boring devils play.

The philly machine shall crush the she devils with ease.

yeah the devils really suck and i do think the flyers have one of the best chances in years
all of their big scorers and defenders are healthy- they had a bad game one but really bounced back yeserday
ottawa may be good but they tend to choke in the playoffs
i reallly would like to see a rematch between the flyers and red wings
i am still really pissed about that sweep in 97' so hopefully we can finally get our revenge
the late season pick up of almonte and the returns of gagne and leclair really give the flyers good stability for their offense
hopefully the goaltending will keep up though

Offline Tman

• View Profile
Stanley Cup Playoffs
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2003, 07:33:14 AM »
So as not to start a flame war, I will let that "devils really do suck" comment alone.

I really want to see detroit play Colorado in the playoffs, I would love to see Cujo choke on Forseberg.

on a side note, the 1995 Stanley Cup final was my favorite.  (NJ v DET, NJ won the series 4-0.)  

Offline StrikerObi

• BanEditLockDelete Podcast Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 2
    • View Profile
    • Pixel du Jour
Stanley Cup Playoffs
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2003, 02:28:42 PM »
I'm gonna have to cheer for the Devils. I grew up in Jersey and I've been a fan for a long time. Definately my favorite team in the sport.

Offline swimguy228

• View Profile
Stanley Cup Playoffs
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2003, 04:17:58 PM »
Let me set you guys straight, no team from the East is going to win the cup. There are just so many good teams in the West, and the East is too weak to handle them.

Having said that, I would also like to let you guys know that the wings are not out of it yet. They may be down 2 games to none, but look what happened last year. All the bounces were going the Vancouver's way, even though they were completely outplayed. Once a fluke goal went in for the wings (Lidstrom's shot from Center Ice), the bounces started going their way, and the true talent of the wings was shown.

This is a different situation though. Giguere seems to be a more stable goalie than cloutier last year, which could cause some problems for the wings. Cloutier did not save 97 out of 100 shots in his first two games.

Don't worry, the wings will find a way.
I pitty da fool who bought da Xbox. ~ Mr. T

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
Stanley Cup Playoffs
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2003, 06:42:09 PM »
  The devils and flyers are the only teams in the east that have a chance at beating the west.  Both have great goaltending, 4 lines deep..balanced scoring and great defense.

Offline Tman

• View Profile
Stanley Cup Playoffs
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2003, 01:35:29 AM »
The Flyers are going to come out of this first round beat to all to hell. The leafs are goons.

Go Devils, If only I didn't have to buy NHL Center Ice to see all your regular season games. Damn florida.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
Stanley Cup Playoffs
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2003, 06:39:10 AM »
Typical Flyers game last night...why must I be cursed?

Offline manunited4eva22

• Got 1337?
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
Stanley Cup Playoffs
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2003, 02:04:04 PM »
god..no longer can I rant about how the hurricanes owned....you guys suck. (well only swimguy since he is the only one I remember from last year.)

Offline AJL221893

• View Profile
Stanley Cup Playoffs
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2003, 02:25:56 PM »
I'm a Red Wings fan, from Detroit. I'm gonna be so mad if they lose the first round against the Ducks. Its all cuz of their awesome goalie...
Please Red Wings, don't lose this next game...win 4 straight in a row...!
Tomorrow's game determines if the Wings will get eliminated.
Animal Crossing info:
Name: (space)Adam
Town: Animtown

Do YOU want a cookie?

Offline Tman

• View Profile
Stanley Cup Playoffs
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2003, 07:59:22 PM »
the wings are going out, they may not get swept, but cujo spent too many years learning how to choke in the playoffs in toronto. and J.S. Giguere is just that much better.

only 2 teams have ever come back from 3-0 to win a serries, 1942 Leafs, and 1975 Islanders, and only once has a defending champ been swept in the playoffs, that was 1952 cup champion Leafs, they lost to the eventual 1953 champs, strangely enough, the Wings.

Offline The Omen

• Forum Fascist
    • View Profile
Stanley Cup Playoffs
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2003, 01:18:33 AM »
  Goodbye Red wings, I hardly new ye.  

Recchi......scores!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Michael_82

• View Profile
Stanley Cup Playoffs
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2003, 07:00:39 PM »
na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey. goodbye!!!  

goodbye you stupid big market red wings!