Author Topic: RFN RetroActive Discussion (Game #2: Luigi's Mansion)  (Read 26811 times)

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 14
    • View Profile
RFN RetroActive Discussion (Game #2: Luigi's Mansion)
« on: February 02, 2009, 08:59:50 PM »
This thread is for discussion of your game selection for RetroActive #2, Luigi's Mansion (GCN).

A green outfit, ghosts, and a vacuum...what more do you need?
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
Re: RFN RetroActive Discussion (Game #2: Luigi's Mansion)
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2009, 09:08:12 PM »
The evil dragon known as SGNG has been slayed! Jonny is cheering, somewhere, right now. Anyway I bought the game again on eBay!
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 09:56:21 PM »
I'll have to borrow this from a friend of mine.
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline NWR_Lindy

• Famous Rapper
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2009, 10:08:11 PM »
I don't even know where my copy of this is.  Buried in one of my moving boxes, no doubt.
Jon Lindemann
Contributing Editor, Nintendo World Report

My Game Backlog

Offline Cambot

• Score: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2009, 11:40:28 PM »
I rented this game when it first came out, and got pretty far. I kept my save file for when I eventually buy it, which I did less than a year ago. This awesome experiment has given me reason to go finish what I started way back in 2001.

Offline Dasmos

• Needs Him Some Tang in His Lollies
  • Score: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2009, 03:42:31 AM »
I rented this game when it first came out, and got pretty far.

So you played it for about 15 minutes?
Images are not allowed in signatures. That includes moving images (video).

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2009, 03:50:28 AM »
http://speeddemosarchive.com/SuperGhoulsNGhosts.html

40 minutes to beat Super Ghouls N Ghosts

http://speeddemosarchive.com/LuigisMansion.html
1hr 30 minutes to beat Luigi's Mansion.

I guess Super Ghouls N Ghosts FAILS for being the shorter game when going through a speed run. ;)

Moral of the story is that game length and what you get out of it is relative. Some of the greatest games are short and some aren't even that hard. I'd rather have an enjoyable time hunting ghosts in a comfortable and relaxing setting then having to repeat levels over and over again to learn multiple enemy patterns. A hard game with cheap deaths that you need to replay MANY times isn't always good, and an easy game isn't always bad, and of course vice versa!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 04:02:02 AM by GoldenPhoenix »

Offline Dasmos

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 04:01:58 AM »
1 hour and 30 minutes is pretty good length for a Gamecube game.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2009, 04:05:06 AM »
1 hour and 30 minutes is pretty good length for a Gamecube game.

Yeah that dang MP1 only takes 1hr 3 minutes to beat! And that stupid easy sequel takes 1hr 38 minutes to beat. Or how about that RE4 that takes a LONG time to beat at 2hr 4 minutes. Even that next-generation game, Fallout 3, can be beaten in 75 minutes. ;)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 04:08:09 AM by GoldenPhoenix »

Offline Dasmos

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2009, 05:47:41 AM »
It is interesting though that to complete Luigi's Mansion with 100% only takes about an extra 2 minutes than just plain beating the final boss.

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 10:55:30 AM »
Who cares if this game is simple, look at him turn that doorknob!
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 11:10:52 AM »

My friend Justin worked at the time for UPS or something and a copy "fell out of the truck" and he kept the disk to show me how small it is before the CUBE BOUGHT IT. I didn't want my new console to be tainted by stolen merchandise so I rented the game and enjoyed it.

i remember i was getting head aces when i first played the game. This was my first dip into Dual Analog controls and it was difficult to get my mind around operating two joysticks at the same time. Ahhh that feels like it was 100 years ago, now that control style is second nature.

I was so proud of my purchase because the graphics were so clean and pretty. It's shameful to think that 80% of Wii current games can't compare to a Launch GAMECUBE game from 8 years ago.

I beat it in the rental period and had fun, and I forgot about the game until now. I didn't see much replay value if any so I never decided to pick it up.

Usually I would pick up a Mario game for launch of Nintendo system, but Luigi wasn't good enough to blindly buy especially with reviews saying it was good but not fantastic. I bought Wave Race Blue Storm instead. Fun game, but damn it can get annoying but thats a different story......

Offline TheFleece

• K.K. Slider Vinyl Collector
    • View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 12:55:51 PM »
There's a blizzard going on today and I'm totally going to trudge out to get the game and a real GC controller, the wireless brick I have doesn't feel very good and it's out of batteries.
I played Luigi's Mansion once- or I might have watched someone play it once. It looks like fun, but sadly all I can reference from the game now is Luigi's stage in Brawl.
Handhelds at Heart
---
It's like a finger pointing away to the moon....
You don't want no part of this ***!
Animal Crossing New Leaf Pics

Offline Pale

• Staff Layton Hat Thief
  • Score: 4
    • View Profile
    • PaleHour
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 04:41:27 PM »
Who cares if this game is simple, look at him turn that doorknob!
This. :)

Also, speed runs are insane.  I can't even fathom beating LM, MP, or RE4 in that amount of time.
:: I was an active staffer forever ago, or was it yesterday. Time is an anomaly. Father of two boys.
---------------------
:: Grouvee :: Instagram

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
  • Score: 37
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 09:25:33 PM »
I picked up LM from Gamestop today for $10 (actually just $5 since I traded in PT: Math).  I rented it right after the GameCube launch and haven't played it since, so it's going to be fun to experience it again.  It'll be the first time in quite a while that I've put a GC disc into my Wii.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

Offline TheFleece

• View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2009, 09:30:24 PM »
I got the game and one of them nice new GC controllers that was released in Japan- it's white and has a longer chord. I haven't played it yet, but I'm going to get cracking soon. Also now with my new controller I can break out my seldom played cube games: Viewtiful Joe, Melee and maybe even finish Pikmin!
Handhelds at Heart
---

Offline Sundoulos

• My mascot is a type of toxic algae
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2009, 09:57:01 PM »
I bought a used copy a few months back, and I've got an old Wavebird ready to go.  I'll get started on this tonight or tomorrow.
"A creature revolting against a creator is revolting against the source of his own powers--including even his power to revolt...It is like the scent of a flower trying to destroy the flower." - C.S. Lewis, in a preface to Milton's Paradise Lost

Offline TheYoungerPlumber

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 10
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2009, 11:32:11 PM »
My copy LM is back in the states with no one to send it to me. Maybe I should just go buy a used Japanese Cube (or Wii?), and rent LM for a few bucks at the local store. What do you guys think? (My GC back home is dual-region, but who knows how much longer it will live.)
::Michael "TYP" Cole
::Associate Editor
Nintendo World Report

"Only CHEATERS mess up!" -Waluigi

Offline NWR_Neal

• NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2009, 02:05:19 AM »
I'll probably pick it up using some trade-in money within the next day or so. I really want to play this game again.

I'm pretty sure I didn't recommend this one, so no one give me crap if they don't like it :)
Neal Ronaghan
Director, NWR

"Fungah! Foiled again!"

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2009, 02:20:31 AM »
TYP, it's not worth it just to play this one game.  There are a lot of reasons to buy a Japanese Wii, but you'll have to decide if enough of them apply to you to offset the cost (and the effort to actually find a system for sale).
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2009, 04:08:06 AM »
Well, the silly prime minister over here wants to give me 10,000-odd yen for being a resident as part of some hair-brained stimulus package. I figure I should do something nice with the extra cash. I missed an opportunity to buy a used one for about $170 soon after I arrived in Japan--last time I went to that store, used ones were pretty much full price. I only own two remotes & nunchuks, so that's actually worth something there, too. I think I'll swing by sometime soon and see if the price is right.
Nintendo World Report

Offline TheFleece

• View Profile
    • I Draw Machine Foods
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2009, 10:28:22 PM »
Okay I just finished playing for the very first time ever! Here are some impressions I've gathered up- I won't put in any spoilers in case someone's playing for the first time as well:

So... Luigi gets junk mail and falls for the scheme. The scene entering the mansion felt like a parody of any survival mansion horror game. The place is obviously crawling with magic and tons of dust which got me wondering just how the hell does Luigi keep them gloves so white? Even in peril he's fresh and clean! Maybe all the shivering and fret is because he's gotta clean the place up.

I wore headphones when I played and the music felt like it was sort of all over the place. Some songs really felt like no one even tried to work on it and the mansion music is alright, but so creepy that Luigi is humming along. There isn't much for sound effects, but they are all clear as bells. The graphics are fine, I like the light from the flash light the most. The controls are good and I like both styles of controls- Standard and Sidestep but the dual analog controls got sticky and I died.
The puzzles are cool and the freaky scientist in the shed- he's pretty creepy, but at least he's on your side. I like the sound for his speech though, half rasp and creepish cute- like a Tom Waits Mii.
Well, at least the place is loaded with cash! ;)
Handhelds at Heart
---

Offline AV

• Score: -4
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2009, 12:31:03 AM »
I picked up LM from Gamestop today for $10 (actually just $5 since I traded in PT: Math).  I rented it right after the GameCube launch and haven't played it since, so it's going to be fun to experience it again.  It'll be the first time in quite a while that I've put a GC disc into my Wii.

WOW. Only $5 for that game, it just released less than a month ago. I would think for something like that $10 would be trade in value, i know its only $20 new but still

• Thy Rod and Staff
  • NWR Staff Pro
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2009, 07:01:50 AM »
Well folks, I really wanted to revisit this game with you. I've even located a reasonably-priced used Japanese Wii. But game rentals are a no-no in Japan, and they want 4,800 yen (!) for a used copy of Luigi Mansion. That's, like, $50. W. T. F.

Plenty of other games are reasonably priced at that store. Is this some sort of cult favorite out in Japan? It's the same freaking price I paid for the North American version new in 2001--and I still own that copy! OoooOooh, Weegie so sad!
Nintendo World Report

Offline Jonnyboy117

• Associate Editor
  • NWR Staff
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2009, 08:14:41 PM »
Maybe you need to visit Akihabara soon, where there's more competition.  I'm sure that's not the average price for a used copy in Japan.
THE LAMB IS WATCHING!