Author Topic: Boom Blox Sequel Coming This Spring  (Read 18999 times)

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: 98
    • View Profile
Re: Boom Blox Sequel Coming This Spring
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2009, 03:05:42 PM »
Here's the best idea ever...
Buy Wii Sports Resort, get one Wii Motion Plus packed in.
Then, Individual Wii Motion Plus units will have an MSRP of $9.99.  Most retailers will sell them at $15.

There will be three different Wii Motion Plus packages.  Each one will come with a download code (a la Wii Speak Channel) for a free Wii Ware download of a WiiPlay-esque mini-game that uses the Wii Motion Plus.  You'll be able to tell which free game is "included" in your Wii Motion Plus package, as each one will have different packages.  "Wii Motion Plus Fishing", "Wii Motion Plus Fencing", "Wii Motion Plus Something or another, I dunno....".

This will encourage retailers to keep three times as much stock on hand (who knows which version customers will want?) and will help to cause one particular version to sell out anyway and creating yet-another "must have" item, but without just flat out losing sales because you can't find it *anywhere* (a la WiiFit/Mario Kart).
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2009, 03:11:14 PM »
Here's the best idea ever...
Buy Wii Sports Resort, get one Wii Motion Plus packed in.
Then, Individual Wii Motion Plus units will have an MSRP of $9.99.  Most retailers will sell them at $15.

There will be three different Wii Motion Plus packages.  Each one will come with a download code (a la Wii Speak Channel) for a free Wii Ware download of a WiiPlay-esque mini-game that uses the Wii Motion Plus.  You'll be able to tell which free game is "included" in your Wii Motion Plus package, as each one will have different packages.  "Wii Motion Plus Fishing", "Wii Motion Plus Fencing", "Wii Motion Plus Something or another, I dunno....".

This will encourage retailers to keep three times as much stock on hand (who knows which version customers will want?) and will help to cause one particular version to sell out anyway and creating yet-another "must have" item, but without just flat out losing sales because you can't find it *anywhere* (a la WiiFit/Mario Kart).

Good idea, unfortunately I don't think Nintendo will ever do something like that.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2009, 03:15:29 PM »
Oh, forgot to note - this would also still encourage people to buy Wii Motion Plus attachments even though they won't be able to find Wii Sports Resort for the first three years.  At least they'll still get *some* use out of the attachments. ;)
Just some random guy on the internet who has a different opinion of games than you.

Offline GoldenPhoenix

• Now it's a party!
  • Score: 42
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2009, 03:17:44 PM »
Oh, forgot to note - this would also still encourage people to buy Wii Motion Plus attachments even though they won't be able to find Wii Sports Resort for the first three years.  At least they'll still get *some* use out of the attachments. ;)

I think UncleBob should quit Walmart and wrestle Reggie for his job.
Switch Friend Code: SW-4185-3173-1144

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2009, 03:18:39 PM »
I just want to be Reggie's assistant.  I'll clean up the mess after he's done kicking ass.

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2009, 03:36:36 PM »
Wow, now that's an idea!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline vudu

• You'd probably all be better off if I really were dead.
  • NWR Junior Ranger
  • Score: -19
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2009, 03:48:24 PM »
Wow, now that's an idea!

Yes is it.  A horrible idea.

Retailers (including Wal-Mart) are already complaining about multiple SKUS for the same product.  They're not going to want to stock three separate versions of what is essentially the same product.

Maybe tone the idea down a bit and offer a single package give the consumer the option of which game he or she wants to download.
Why must all things be so bright? Why can things not appear only in hues of brown! I am so serious about this! Dull colors are the future! The next generation! I will never accept a world with such bright colors! It is far too childish! I will rage against your cheery palette with my last breath!

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
  • Score: 28
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2009, 05:14:43 PM »
Motion Plus allows the capability to track the Remote's location in space.

It's a gyroscope. It tracks rotation (even horizontal which wopuld usually not register because gravity still goes in the same direction), not position.

Offline NinGurl69 *huggles

• HI I'M CRAZY
    • View Profile
    • Six Sided Video
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2009, 05:33:50 PM »
With all the crap working together it can fudge a position by fudging the translation by interpreting the rotation and accelerations.

I didn't say Lotion Puss did it all by itself.

The Wii Sports Resort demo asked players to aim the Remote at the TV before throwing the frisbee... as a home position?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 05:37:59 PM by NinGurl69 *huggles »
:: Six Sided Video .com ~ Pietriots.com ::
PRO IS SERIOUS. GET SERIOUS.

Offline NWR_pap64

• You are not the boss of me
  • Score: 25
    • View Profile
    • Nintendo World Report
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2009, 05:39:20 PM »
Wow, now that's an idea!

Yes is it.  A horrible idea.

Retailers (including Wal-Mart) are already complaining about multiple SKUS for the same product.  They're not going to want to stock three separate versions of what is essentially the same product.

Maybe tone the idea down a bit and offer a single package give the consumer the option of which game he or she wants to download.

You are just upset because Unclebob of all people thought of it first ;) .

Never fear the man nipples of smart ideas :D .
Pedro Hernandez
NWR Staff Writer

Offline Uncle Bob

• Bob-to-go
  • Score: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 03, 2009, 07:36:32 PM »
I was thinking the SKUs would come in an assortment - like a case of six with two of each type of pack similar to how the colored Wii Remote gloves or, say, action figures come in. Retailers would devote the same amout of shelf space for the assortment as they would the individual item.

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2009, 10:24:32 PM »
UncleBob that is a great idea...but you know you could easily do that with one package and give you a code that once you input it in gives you a choice of one of the three games.  Simple, and once you buy 3 you get all three games. 

Offline Kairon

• T_T
  • NWR Staff Pro
  • Score: 48
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2009, 11:24:06 PM »
UncleBob that is a great idea...but you know you could easily do that with one package and give you a code that once you input it in gives you a choice of one of the three games.  Simple, and once you buy 3 you get all three games. 

... even... BETTER!
Carmine Red, Associate Editor

A glooming peace this morning with it brings;
The sun, for sorrow, will not show his head:
Go hence, to have more talk of these sad things;
Some shall be pardon'd, and some punished:
For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Sega and her Mashiro.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2009, 12:11:15 AM »

I'm not against this idea by any means, I'm just not sure what the back end programming would involve.  Also, the package for the individual "Wii Motion Plus One Game" could look a lot more cool than some kind of combo package...

Offline Spak-Spang

• The Frightened Fox
  • Score: 39
    • View Profile
    • MirandaNew.com
« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2009, 12:33:25 AM »

I'm not against this idea by any means, I'm just not sure what the back end programming would involve.  Also, the package for the individual "Wii Motion Plus One Game" could look a lot more cool than some kind of combo package...

Why wouldn't the back end programing work?  The Virtual Console channel already allowed you to download the Wii Speak channel from a code you got from the game.  In fact the promotional code link for the Wii channel should still be there waiting. 

I do like your box idea of saying Wii Motion + Fishing or other game...but they can still do a similar concept.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2009, 12:45:18 AM »
I don't know how difficult it would be to program a code that lets you choose one of three titles to download.  We already know a system is in place where you're given a code and allowed to download a specific title though, which is why I suggested that...

It's not like any of this is going to happen anyway. :(

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2009, 10:32:06 AM »
It wouldn't be difficult at all to program that, but it would negate the collectible draw that different packages would have.

Offline UncleBob

• (PATRON)
  • NWR Junior Ranger
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2009, 10:37:36 AM »
It wouldn't be difficult at all to program that, but it would negate the collectible draw that different packages would have.

Remember, Nintendo + Online = Epic Fail.  I picked a safe, proven method for the distribution - anything else might be too difficult for Nintendo. ;)

Offline UltimatePartyBear

• Voice of Reason
  • Score: 35
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2009, 11:32:52 AM »
You're worried entering the code would be laggy?

Offline KDR_11k

• boring person
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2009, 01:14:55 PM »
More like a significant part of the userbase doesn't have broadband internet.